Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 13, 2022 8:03 PM
Jul 2018
I love HxH 2011, but I felt like Yorknew was the one arc that I felt could have been handled better. Not to say it was my least favorite, as a matter of fact it was my third favorite, but after seeing how the original was handled I can comfortably say I see why so many say this is their favorite arc. It's not mine, I think Chimera Ant and Chairman Election are the best HxH has seen (though I haven't read Succession Contest yet), but I can totally see why they would be so beloved. The fact that this was done so well just makes me even more upset that the greed island ova's apparently weren't given as much love and care as this, which is such a shame because I feel like this is one of the best shounen anime to even grace our screens.
Dec 13, 2022 10:02 PM
Oct 2021
GGPoke said:
I love HxH 2011, but I felt like Yorknew was the one arc that I felt could have been handled better. Not to say it was my least favorite, as a matter of fact it was my third favorite, but after seeing how the original was handled I can comfortably say I see why so many say this is their favorite arc. It's not mine, I think Chimera Ant and Chairman Election are the best HxH has seen (though I haven't read Succession Contest yet), but I can totally see why they would be so beloved. The fact that this was done so well just makes me even more upset that the greed island ova's apparently weren't given as much love and care as this, which is such a shame because I feel like this is one of the best shounen anime to even grace our screens.

yeah I totally agree Yorknew City in the 90s anime is a lot better

but yeah definitely read the Succession Contest it's honestly one of the best arcs you'll love it
Dec 13, 2022 11:01 PM
Jul 2018
I love the dark atmosphere, it truly adds to the feel of the arc.
Dec 14, 2022 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
Zech55555 said:
GGPoke said:

yeah I totally agree Yorknew City in the 90s anime is a lot better

but yeah definitely read the Succession Contest it's honestly one of the best arcs you'll love it

I will, I will, i'm just collecting it physically so it'll take a bit to get there, but i'm very much looking forward to it!
Dec 14, 2022 3:16 PM
Feb 2020
As a 99 die hard, the original just nails the vibe of the manga so well.
Dec 14, 2022 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
giffica said:

I both agree and disagree, I think that in Yorknew it does! But I feel like it failed miserably and is sometimes unwatchable during Heaven's Arena. It just ruined what the manga was going for during that arc imo. I think that it does really well during some parts of Hunter's Exam while kinda failing at other parts, the pacing is just all over the damn place and the vibe is kinda weird sometimes. Don't get me wrong though I really like how Hunter's Exam was done, i just don't think it's very faithful, which isn't a bad thing on it's own.
Dec 14, 2022 3:26 PM
Feb 2020
GGPoke said:
giffica said:

I both agree and disagree, I think that in Yorknew it does! But I feel like it failed miserably and is sometimes unwatchable during Heaven's Arena. It just ruined what the manga was going for during that arc imo. I think that it does really well during some parts of Hunter's Exam while kinda failing at other parts, the pacing is just all over the damn place and the vibe is kinda weird sometimes. Don't get me wrong though I really like how Hunter's Exam was done, i just don't think it's very faithful, which isn't a bad thing on it's own.

How is pacing the animes fault when Togashi takes insane breaks? He had already begun month long breaks by the time York New started. Heavens Arena was a poorly paced arc in the manga, the anime matches it accurately. A lot of what made it pace different in 2011 is simply the overpaced nature of the entire thing making that slow arc feel more succinct. That's just how it was.

Besides, the inexcusable music choices that decharacterize major moments are just absurd out of 2011.
Dec 14, 2022 3:35 PM
Jul 2018
giffica said:
GGPoke said:

How is pacing the animes fault when Togashi takes insane breaks? He had already begun month long breaks by the time York New started. Heavens Arena was a poorly paced arc in the manga, the anime matches it accurately. A lot of what made it pace different in 2011 is simply the overpaced nature of the entire thing making that slow arc feel more succinct. That's just how it was.

Besides, the inexcusable music choices that decharacterize major moments are just absurd out of 2011.

I don't think blaming Togashi is really the right move, but even in that case:
I think that Hunter Exam's pacing is FINE, it's still a 9/10 arc for me, but it kinda meanders at times and the fact that the first 3 eps cover two chapters is pretty strange to me, some Black Clover level pacing there lmao
But if the entire show was either slower or on pace, I wouldn't mind it, but Heaven's Arena is AWFULLY paced. It goes by way too slow, skips some stuff from the manga, and is so weirdly organized and innacurate it's pretty hard to really watch it. And i'm not comparing the pacing to 2011, I'm comparing it to the manga
And the music in 2011 isn't the best but IMO it's the same OST quality as 99, both use the same few tracks a lot of the time.
Dec 14, 2022 3:43 PM
Feb 2020
GGPoke said:
giffica said:

I think that Hunter Exam's pacing is FINE, it's still a 9/10 arc for me, but it kinda meanders at times and the fact that the first 3 eps cover two chapters is pretty strange to me, some Black Clover level pacing there lmao
But if the entire show was either slower or on pace, I wouldn't mind it, but Heaven's Arena is AWFULLY paced. It goes by way too slow, skips some stuff from the manga, and is so weirdly organized and innacurate it's pretty hard to really watch it. And i'm not comparing the pacing to 2011, I'm comparing it to the manga
And the music in 2011 isn't the best but IMO it's the same OST quality as 99, both use the same few tracks a lot of the time.

Sigh. I guess this will be infornative to you but Togashi actually requested they rewrite the opening 2 episodes. They are filler and include moments from later chapters that Togashi himself wanted placed different. So yes, they are longer, but you're including the later events they rework into the early episodes.

AGAIN a very unfair comparison. Watch the original pilot (which actually has ash's voice actress as gon) and you will see the "faithful" version that was originally made.

Its not slow. It's paced faster than YuYu Hakusho at time. I think you just dont realize what 90s anime pacing is like, but its much more preferable. almost no anime made after 2005 have a good pscing. LITERALLY 0 of the shonens that have been released. I think you just have low attention. How often do you read manga vs watch anime? I prefer reading to watching, so I like the manga pacing that 80s and 90s anime tend to have.

You can be serious when they use flamenco music and turn hisoka isnt some sort of matador lmao Rewatch the scene where he kills the guy with 2 knives during the exam. Its abysmally animated, and the music is so poorly matched. Any scene with hisoka, really. The 2011 voice actor is weak, and lacks the blood curtling evil that 99 hisoka has. He isnt nearly as sexual in the manga as 2011 makes him out to be, either. Messing up hisoka, one of animes most beloved characters EVER, is a travesty in my eyes. Makes 2011 unsuggestable.

There are too many glaring instances where the soundtrack is mismatched and doesnt fit with other songs. its like theme music rather than being ambient. Plus, Naruto as Gon is an untouchable pairing, and they were modeled one each other during both their creation. Its too fitting voice wise.
Dec 15, 2022 3:50 PM
Jul 2018
giffica said:
GGPoke said:

Sigh. I guess this will be infornative to you but Togashi actually requested they rewrite the opening 2 episodes. They are filler and include moments from later chapters that Togashi himself wanted placed different. So yes, they are longer, but you're including the later events they rework into the early episodes.

AGAIN a very unfair comparison. Watch the original pilot (which actually has ash's voice actress as gon) and you will see the "faithful" version that was originally made.

Its not slow. It's paced faster than YuYu Hakusho at time. I think you just dont realize what 90s anime pacing is like, but its much more preferable. almost no anime made after 2005 have a good pscing. LITERALLY 0 of the shonens that have been released. I think you just have low attention. How often do you read manga vs watch anime? I prefer reading to watching, so I like the manga pacing that 80s and 90s anime tend to have.

You can be serious when they use flamenco music and turn hisoka isnt some sort of matador lmao Rewatch the scene where he kills the guy with 2 knives during the exam. Its abysmally animated, and the music is so poorly matched. Any scene with hisoka, really. The 2011 voice actor is weak, and lacks the blood curtling evil that 99 hisoka has. He isnt nearly as sexual in the manga as 2011 makes him out to be, either. Messing up hisoka, one of animes most beloved characters EVER, is a travesty in my eyes. Makes 2011 unsuggestable.

There are too many glaring instances where the soundtrack is mismatched and doesnt fit with other songs. its like theme music rather than being ambient. Plus, Naruto as Gon is an untouchable pairing, and they were modeled one each other during both their creation. Its too fitting voice wise.

Thank you for the information about the first two chapters, I had no idea! I don't think the pacing ruins it by any means and I still really like the show, I just think that as a point of comparison it is worth pointing out. I have seen the pilot episode, and I don't really care for it, but that's not because of the pacing, it's because it just doesn't feel like hxh (meaning not like the manga). I will admit I haven't seen as many 90's anime I would like, but I have seen a decent amount, and the pacing does tend to be slower but I do not think this is a bad thing!!! Revolutionary Girl Utena has some strange pacing and could have felt monotonous with it's formula, but I still love the show and highly recommend it because it never feels like it meanders. Not to say HxH does at all, I really like how it gives more detail and time to some scenes, but I think it doesn't have the same feel as the manga does, which is ultimately okay.
Saying I have low attention (an intended jab at your perception of my intelligence based on a singular issue I have with one particular piece of entertainment) is a very baseless and insulting prowess. I actually have surprisingly high attention for someone with my mental disorders, and in fact there was one time when I had watched all of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 3 and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 4 in one week, and I'd say that was pretty high in retention, wouldn't you? And the question of how much anime do I even like, well it seem sir that the answer would be more individual series than you have. Not all of my series are on my profile, as I am currently doing a challenge with a friend, but my number of completed series is nearing 300. If you'd like a list of 90's or early 00's anime which I do not think are slowly paced (again, not a bad thing.) I'd say:
Boogiepop Phantom
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Hunter x Hunter (Yorknew City arc)
Fullmetal Alchemist (2003)
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Gunnm
Hellsing (2001)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1993 & 2000)
Serial Experiments Lain (My favorite TV anime ever made)
Revolutionary Girl Utena

One last thing, the soundtracks are just different. You say it's bad that it's not atmospheric but that's less of a problem with the OST and more of just your preference. And personally I don't prefer or dislike either OST, I think they fit what each adaptation is going for better, and it's just up to you which you enjoy more. Personally I don't think that OST for the original series really became great until the Yorknew OVA's, but that could just be me. It was still really good before then though.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter OVA Episode 4 Discussion

removed-user - Oct 7, 2010

23 by ASR09 »»
Nov 4, 2023 8:27 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter OVA Episode 5 Discussion

Grimmm - Mar 5, 2010

21 by bruh98hy89 »»
Sep 30, 2023 2:06 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter OVA Episode 7 Discussion

deuchi - Jan 8, 2011

17 by giffica »»
Nov 20, 2022 4:32 PM

» Re-translated: Hunter x Hunter OVAs

HunterOVA - Jan 12, 2015

2 by theMario3721 »»
Nov 18, 2022 4:47 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter OVA Episode 8 Discussion

deuchi - Jan 8, 2011

19 by Atlas77 »»
May 14, 2022 5:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.