Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 23, 2014 1:14 PM

Oct 2008
Staff Wanted (Open)

I don't think we need any card/banner makers. Since that's too much work, but if some one wants to do any special cards/banners, I won't stop them.

I am mostly looking for people like news updaters and active people.

Just comment below and tell me want you are best at.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 23, 2014 10:04 PM

Nov 2007
If you don't mind, I would like to be a temporary officer. I will try to deliver news since I'm also news mod. of the site and new series just announced.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 24, 2014 6:40 AM

Oct 2008
tsubasalover said:
If you don't mind, I would like to be a temporary officer. I will try to deliver news since I'm also news mod. of the site and new series just announced.

Accepted! Which character do you like to be? Ciel, Sebby, and Undertaker are already taken.
Jan 27, 2014 2:46 PM

Dec 2009
I'd love to help out. I'm getting pretty good with Gimp, or so I would like to think so, so I could help out with images, if needed. Though, I would have to find a new place to hoist images.. I don't like the new Photobucket, so any suggestions there would be helpful (I also got a pic to show an example.).

Other than that, I'm pretty good at organizing. I do everything on notebook, though, before I do it here (reason why my list takes so long).

And besides that, I've been pretty active as of recent, though not so much on the weekends.

Jan 27, 2014 11:19 PM

Nov 2007
DominateOne said:
Accepted! Which character do you like to be? Ciel, Sebby, and Undertaker are already taken.

Finnian, please.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 28, 2014 4:26 AM

Apr 2009
From what I understand all card/badge threads are to be closed? (the "win a card" thread is still marked as open)

With my current classes I won't be able to be very active, but I can lurk around the forums to make sure things are in check if that's needed.

On topic of graphics, if you want to make a newsletter I can put the text in an image like the last 3 messages, though that will have to wait quite some weeks... possibly way until the end of February.

I can also use that first weekend of March for catching up with some of the cards/badges backlog, though no idea how far those went? I handed of the badge task to another user when I went on hiatus, but I didn't hear from her nor can I find my correspondence with her.
Jan 28, 2014 3:00 PM

Oct 2008
@lovelyphantom

Accepted, please tell me which characters you would like to be
Ciel, Sebby, Undertaker, and Finnian are taken

@RulenneClarissa

Yes, they will be closed down.. it is?.. I have to check on that

Mostly everything is closed down since most of my officers are inactive.

Its fine Rul, my life have taking a few turns and probably won't be active as much but at less some time I can be.. Its really fine that we don't have newsletters.. right now its too much time consuming.
Feb 1, 2014 1:18 PM

Dec 2009
DominateOne said:
@lovelyphantom

Accepted, please tell me which characters you would like to be
Ciel, Sebby, Undertaker, and Finnian are taken.

Ah... I guess I'll take the new character Sullivan. I would rather have her than either Grell or Elizabeth, plus she's pretty funny.

Mar 26, 2014 3:30 PM

Apr 2009
Staff talk: I was thinking of changing the DP in celebration of the new season (A layouw would have been better but I don't have the time more a larger project and I can't quite compete with asinankurus' skills).
So should we keep the current one or I should make one from
http://www.zerochan.net/1670340
http://www.zerochan.net/1677515
or
http://www.zerochan.net/1692379 ?
Mar 26, 2014 4:15 PM

Oct 2008
Made sometime in July we could revamp the club? We have awhile to get everything ready.. I would like a new layout and we can present it in July.. like on the day the new series airs.. idk.. what do you guys think?
Mar 27, 2014 5:25 AM

Apr 2009
I think we should revive the club earlier. It'd be nice to hype thing up at least a bit before the series airs. How about aiming for a new layout around mid-to-late June?
I also think it would be good to make some kind of announcement in May to let members know the club's turning it's gears again. Maybe even April, once an animated trailer comes out :3 There will also be more art coming out soon, so why not make good use of it? We could have a contest or something to make users do the banner/picture/card/etc work for us :P

Speaking of art, zerochan is currently a goldmine for official art by Toboso. Plenty pictures good for vectoring :3
Mar 28, 2014 3:50 PM

Dec 2009
RulenneClarissa said:
I think we should revive the club earlier. It'd be nice to hype thing up at least a bit before the series airs. How about aiming for a new layout around mid-to-late June?
I also think it would be good to make some kind of announcement in May to let members know the club's turning it's gears again. Maybe even April, once an animated trailer comes out :3 There will also be more art coming out soon, so why not make good use of it? We could have a contest or something to make users do the banner/picture/card/etc work for us :P

Speaking of art, zerochan is currently a goldmine for official art by Toboso. Plenty pictures good for vectoring :3

I don't mind an idea for a new layout, but the timing... I don't know. We could do something like the Kuro site did when KBoC and KBoM was announced. They put up a new layout the day it was announced. We could do that the day the series airs like Dominate suggests in order to celebrate the new season, and again for KBoM for when it airs in Fall.

We could also do what Rulenne suggest, a new layout by mid-to-late June. Since the new series was announced, it wouldn't be a real surprise if we followed suit with a new layout. Either timing sounds fine to me.

Of course we have the third option, we could do both. We could make a new layout, but a temporary one until the new layout that is to celebrate KBoC is up. This could be up by Mid-May to mid-June, if work schedules are kind.

Oh, I love zerochan! I hate it that MAL won't let me use the pictures for my lists, for some weird reason or other, but I love seeing all the new pics from Yana up there (even though I already seen them on her blog.). I was thinking of trying my hand at making cards or layout with the new photos, once I get my profile cleaned up (no good set backs). Though I don't know how good they'll be. I'm still quite new with GIMP 2.8.
lovelyphantomMar 28, 2014 3:59 PM

Mar 29, 2014 6:49 AM

Apr 2009
lovelyphantom said:
RulenneClarissa said:

I don't mind an idea for a new layout, but the timing... I don't know. We could do something like the Kuro site did when KBoC and KBoM was announced. They put up a new layout the day it was announced. We could do that the day the series airs like Dominate suggests in order to celebrate the new season, and again for KBoM for when it airs in Fall.

We could also do what Rulenne suggest, a new layout by mid-to-late June. Since the new series was announced, it wouldn't be a real surprise if we followed suit with a new layout. Either timing sounds fine to me.

Of course we have the third option, we could do both. We could make a new layout, but a temporary one until the new layout that is to celebrate KBoC is up. This could be up by Mid-May to mid-June, if work schedules are kind.

Oh, I love zerochan! I hate it that MAL won't let me use the pictures for my lists, for some weird reason or other, but I love seeing all the new pics from Yana up there (even though I already seen them on her blog.). I was thinking of trying my hand at making cards or layout with the new photos, once I get my profile cleaned up (no good set backs). Though I don't know how good they'll be. I'm still quite new with GIMP 2.8.
A little side-note in regards to zerochan: I believe the site itself is set up so that you can't directly link to the images from other sites. So if you want to use an image on there as a background, you have to download & re-host it yourself. can't find the thread of white-listed image hosts

As far as making multiple layouts - it takes a lot of time to make a good layout. Making one for each release will probably be to much for the current staff (I know I won't be able to set aside enough time for an entire layout until July... if I can find a summer job. Otherwise I'll have to go back home for the summer and work there, and I won't have any free time if that happens). A banner at the top of the page, or a change in the Display image are less time-consuming and more realistic for that purpose. Heck, even a quick newsletter like the ones I've been doing before would be easier, since the manga is full of large, detailed and gorgeous character shots and the last 3 used the same layout.
Mar 29, 2014 7:34 AM

Oct 2008
I'm gonna try and make a layout.. oh boy.. I'll post on here when its finish..to see if you guys think its ok-ish to be the new layout...
Mar 29, 2014 1:16 PM

Apr 2009
DominateOne said:
I'm gonna try and make a layout.. oh boy.. I'll post on here when its finish..to see if you guys think its ok-ish to be the new layout...
Nifty tip that made my life easier (although it made the files much bigger): use a new layer every time you resize the image, a separate layer (or mask layer) for every effect and you can always go back easily without losing quality. I also find it handy if I want to keep the newest effect but see what will happen if I take away/edit one I had used previously. Also it makes it easier to use effects selectively over one image, like graying out/blurring the background, or brightening only the foreground, etc.

The downside is that most of my layout files end ~80 MB each that way >_<
RulenneClarissaMar 29, 2014 1:25 PM
Apr 3, 2014 6:44 PM

Oct 2008
I'll try.. but I can't seem to find a great background pic..
Apr 4, 2014 9:19 AM

Dec 2009
DominateOne said:

Oh I know that problem. I tried making a V-day theme for my lists but couldn't find any images that sang out. You might have to take two, or more, images and put them together.

I found this image not too long ago thinking of doing a circus theme for my list, if I ever get it done. Here this one is also a good one 1

It's a good place to start, and they have many good selection of Kuro wallpaper I have seen. Here's the link to the browse section: http://www.zerochan.net/Kuroshitsuji,Wallpaper?p=1

You might find something.

RulenneClarissa said:
DominateOne said:
Nifty tip that made my life easier (although it made the files much bigger): use a new layer every time you resize the image, a separate layer (or mask layer) for every effect and you can always go back easily without losing quality. I also find it handy if I want to keep the newest effect but see what will happen if I take away/edit one I had used previously. Also it makes it easier to use effects selectively over one image, like graying out/blurring the background, or brightening only the foreground, etc.

The downside is that most of my layout files end ~80 MB each that way >_<

Oh, that is a nice tip Rulenne! I got to remember that when get to doing layouts.

Apr 9, 2014 2:14 PM

Apr 2009
lovelyphantom said:
DominateOne said:

Oh I know that problem. I tried making a V-day theme for my lists but couldn't find any images that sang out. You might have to take two, or more, images and put them together.

I found this image not too long ago thinking of doing a circus theme for my list, if I ever get it done. Here this one is also a good one 1

It's a good place to start, and they have many good selection of Kuro wallpaper I have seen. Here's the link to the browse section: http://www.zerochan.net/Kuroshitsuji,Wallpaper?p=1

I personally prefer to use scans instead of wallpapers. Many wallpapers, while beautiful, are already edited. Some very heavily so. It's not making them bad, I just personally prefer to use images as close to a kind of 'raw' for as I can. The real advantage I find with scans (and also on mask/filter-less fanart) is that very often, especially for magazine/CD/DVD cover scans is that they are large. It's easy to size down images and I rarely use more than one image for any work I do. Here's an example, And another. The only problem I had with the scans is that they're so detailed that you can see the ink dots from printing, but I use a couple of light blur filters to get rid of those after I find the perspective I want to stick with.
RulenneClarissaApr 9, 2014 2:18 PM
Apr 11, 2014 1:05 PM

Apr 2009
By the way, One, I'll have time in 2 weeks to work on stuff for the club if you need to. I thought I'd try a start on the layout and see if it will work out in 3 days ._.
Do you want the same links on the layout or something else?
If they're the same I'll make them based on the trial I made last time (before asinankurus took over... majestically) :3

Look what I found~~
Oh gawd <-- dibs on this one!
RulenneClarissaApr 11, 2014 1:10 PM
Apr 14, 2014 2:35 PM

Oct 2008
that would be cool.. My layout.. ugh.. I need a better editing system..

Look at this one

I would like something like this as the layout..that pic...the design!!!
Apr 15, 2014 12:18 PM

Apr 2009
I can do that... given time and a *very* big main source image :3

The background can be done by finding an HQ CG image of drapes (any color so long as it's only one), or otherwise by making use of some gradient tools.

For the text we can use any Kuroshitsuji title (I think I still have one cut out properly somewhere in my buried folders, if not there's plenty good source images to make a new one from) and just have a very thick border around it - set to "gradient" instead of fill.

For the picture - it has to initially be rather big, and most important, have NOTHING cut off. Not a leg, arm or piece of clothing. Or the furniture, if Ciel is sitting in a chair like that one.

Then the hard work starts - but it follows the same formula I've been using for cards: resize image to desired size (to be safe let it be a little big since stuff will be cut out; duplicate that layer; in the one on top "crop" (use delete instead of crop) the rectangle, cutting off clothes, body, anything as long as it's not *too* much; in the one behind, cut out the background so that only the clothes,body,etc are intact;(since both images were originally identical, it will create that illusion of things 'reaching out'); lock the two layers together, if impossible always remember to move both together;DO NOT MERGE THE TWO! if you do and later want to change the frame you'll have to do everything again and that's a big pain in the but and makes the previous hours a waste of time.

"borders": the ones here look like re-drawn versions of the DVD cover borders - someone on DA made HQ png versions of their outlines (I have them saved somewhere too) - they can look, while not exactly like that, but still impressive, by filling them in with a beige/gold color and applying a bunch of fancy styles like engrave/satin/etc.

The only problem is that this particular image is very wide, and so we either have to settle for a short layout if we want to use the same structure, or we can re-arrange it to be longer than usual. Otherwise, it will look like everything is on a black background. We could also use a shorter picture to have more space above and below for the texts.

Anyhow, this particular layout is very straightforward, but will take a long time (at least in comparison with my usual stuff), but I could try it next Friday if you want (After I finish with my, erm, current project)?

As for software, to make something like the layout above, it's enough if you have a program which can work with layers and has gradient fill and outline options for entire layers (or objects). If a gradient outline isn't possible, that's also fine - it's just going to take some tweaking by using fills on extra layers (or objects).
Apr 17, 2014 10:36 AM

Oct 2008
Layout preview

I know its a small image but I really like it and thought of something cool to go with it.. but I want to know if I should continue editing this.. there is still a lot more work I need to do.. this is just me adding things together to see if you guys think I should make this..
Apr 22, 2014 11:11 AM

Apr 2009
I'll be on the lookout for that image in a bigger size. Other than that tidbit, the only thing missing is a kind-of background, but I don't think anything other that drawing it "back in" will look good... maybe you could try a fading effect on the sides? Or maybe an extra border, to make it look like a glorious painting with the characters coming out of the frame :3

But maybe one of these may satiate you, young lord?
http://www.zerochan.net/1681466
http://www.zerochan.net/1667984
http://www.zerochan.net/1669601

And 2 bonuses, just because they're nice on their own :3
http://www.zerochan.net/1669600
http://www.zerochan.net/1670334

By the way, I'll suggest that you use something other than select + delete to cut out the picture - it ends up jagged and actually takes more work to clean up later, especially if it cuts into the image. I use a vectoring technique on photoshop (I can find a tutorial if you'd like to try that), but a mask + eraser should work well too (again, I can find/make a quick video tutorial on it). Although... what program do you use for editing? I don't wanna start giving filter and tool names that aren't available on it ^_^;;
RulenneClarissaApr 26, 2014 5:16 PM
Apr 26, 2014 11:06 AM

Apr 2009
I swear I'm working on the picture!

By the way I have some time off this week, so I can try to make a mock-up for the layout, or a newsletter (if someone's up to write up the text, that is). I don't mind expanding/proofreading the text, just that I'm not to fond of doing the whole thing since there's more others might want to say.
RulenneClarissaApr 26, 2014 5:15 PM
Jun 8, 2014 3:21 PM

Oct 2008
I pretty much gave up on the layout.. it really didn't work.. small images kind of stinks...

Finding awesome pics is hard...

maybe we should do something simple...
Jun 10, 2014 11:05 AM

Apr 2009
I can work on the layout, since the last thing you posted gave me an idea (i'll try to do what you did, but using a different base image). Although I can only start after next week because I have one more exam next Friday and then university is DONE! :D
Jun 12, 2014 12:30 PM

Oct 2008
Ooooooh I gave an idea.. hmm I have to see this! haha

Take your time
Jun 17, 2014 1:39 PM

Dec 2009
Yes, taking ones time always turns up with the best results. As for me, I'm working on member card ideas, but I'm having trouble finding some pics to use. Though the pics you guys gave did give me some ideas for some.

I'll give you guys a preview when I've finished with a prototype.

Jun 19, 2014 2:19 AM

Apr 2009
for pics I usually go to zerochan - they have a very large collection of good quality images. There's a lot of fanart, but fanart can look gorgeous as well (I just really love Yana's art style).

If you keep getting strange images (by default the page is set to show newest art first), what I like to do is to go to "most popular" and "the past 3 months". That way the images are both relatively new and really nice.

Also I just sometimes leave the settings to default and just go through 20 pages of images, saving everything I might like, or if something gives me an idea, or if think someone else might like it. now that I say it, it's no surprise that my Kuro folder has almost 4000 images

By the way, a lot of users seem to like cards that have a kind of 'template' when they're made by the same person. It's by no means necessary, but it does have the advantage of making it easier to make cards after a certain point. Fixing the colors though, that one can take really long.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Favorite Character in Kuroshitsuji? ( 1 2 3 4 )

LadyTalion - Feb 6, 2009

197 by Itzmespooky »»
Jun 12, 2023 10:51 AM

» [Kuroshitsuji] Three Letter game!!! ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

LadyTalion - Mar 29, 2010

227 by Dazel1412 »»
May 23, 2018 2:23 PM

» Favorite Character in Kuroshitsuji II?

LadyTalion - Jul 29, 2010

17 by thatPinkSpider »»
Aug 9, 2016 1:02 PM

» What would you do if ... (come and play :D) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

NuriaChan - Mar 2, 2010

396 by LongLiveHetalia »»
May 18, 2016 5:19 PM

Sticky: » Kuroshitsuji Central Newsletter ( 1 2 3 4 )

RulenneClarissa - Mar 9, 2011

197 by newalnut »»
Jul 10, 2015 8:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.