Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 4, 2008 4:37 AM

Jun 2008
Note: This is a post I also made on the THEM anime boards after viewing the box set release from Rightstuf yesterday. I thought it might prove interesting for some of you out there.

Well, I'm halfway with my Aria box right now. Watching it on DVD proved to be somewhat of a different experience, and not only because of the extra material. I kept telling myself that, surely, me noticing things I don't remember from the fansubs had to be because I was watching it on a bigger screen.

Then I got to episode 6 and the whole Maa disappearance scene. For those of you who remember it, I'm specifically referring to the scene where Alice wonders whether Athena might have taken her to the company boss right before two girls in school uniforms comes running around a corner to tell Alice that they had accidentally released her when they had examined her closet due to Maa's cries.

H-hey. Those aren't school uniforms. What the hell? Let me check the fansub episode again real quick.

Well, whaddya know. They edited that for the DVD release.

Different uniforms, different hair color, lack of glasses on one of them... the wonders of post-production editing.

"Fansubbas stole mah clothes!" Or so President Aria might have said, had he the capacity for speech that goes beyond his "nyuus" and "bonyuus".

And even Athena's hat-beret-thingie. What's the world coming to when not even one of the three water fairies has parts of her uniform stolen. By brazen fans, I'll bet. Alice is even drawn differently in one of the two (comparison) pictures.

On a more serious note, I could always go really anal-retentive with various other differences I noticed when I ran the episode and the fansub side by side, like the redrawing of missing lines, the slight increase of company symbols and other, fairly insignificant differences. (Like President Aria keeping his mouth open in the DVD version of when our trainees braves the abandoned house of darkness, thus earning himself a mouthful of cobwebs.)

I'm sure editing of anime before DVD release might be a common practice. Not that it necessarily helped shows like Negima, mind you, but nevertheless... it does make me wonder what other differences I might find later on, maybe even with the (hopefully) upcoming DVD release of Aria the Natural.
Aug 4, 2011 9:57 PM
Nov 2010
Is it just me or does the TV version look better than the DVD?
Aug 27, 2011 2:09 PM
Aug 2011
Interesting find, I didn't know editing for DVD releases changed that much. It's not even censoring or plain better, just different.

The fansub looks sharper and seems to have higher color saturation. That could be due to filters being used while encoding.
Nov 11, 2011 3:32 PM

Oct 2009
S120 said:

Only you.
あらあら。。。

More topics from this board

» Question about Alicia

Eleben - May 2

1 by Zarutaku »»
May 2, 7:13 AM

Poll: » Aria the Animation Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WTFwasThat - Sep 23, 2008

87 by Selleri_UmU »»
May 1, 7:21 PM

Poll: » Aria Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

running_lemon - Apr 6, 2007

129 by eblf2013 »»
Mar 25, 6:29 PM

Poll: » Aria the Animation Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WTFwasThat - Oct 2, 2008

75 by eblf2013 »»
Mar 25, 8:37 AM

» the big 3 Iyashikei Anime

mydaddy - Mar 8

9 by mydaddy »»
Mar 9, 8:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.