Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 14, 2011 11:27 AM

Dec 2007
Cucumbers said:
Blighttown is annoying. I'd highly recommend getting the Rusted Iron Ring from the Undead Asylum before making your way to the boss. If you have the master key / you started as thief, USE THE SHORTCUT (firelink shrine - new londo - valley of drakes - blighttown). Seriously, it will make your life so much easier.

You don't need the master key. If you go to Drake Valley from the Darkroot Forest, get the bonfire. Kill one drake, turn left, kill another one. Then kill the undead dragon. If you enter Blighttown from there, passing the tree fatties. You can get a key before going down the stairs. It's the key for the shortcut to New Londo Ruins. I also suggest you finish Blighttown using that path. It's much easier and pretty short if you ask me.

As for getting rid of those knight. It's usually the best to let them attack, avoid it and stab them in the back.
Oct 14, 2011 2:12 PM
Jul 2018
Cucumbers said:
Fucking WHERE. I need my ridiculously oversized phallic shaped headwear.

It is all about the Big Hat. I love that thing. Too bad it doesn't really match any of my other armor (I'm too picky!).
Oct 14, 2011 4:59 PM

Jan 2008
God f**king shit. I finally managed to get to Alvina for the Forest Hunter Covenant but her wording was so god dam weird I chose No instead of Yes. She wouldn't let me retry... got pissed off and killed her. /theres goes my fog ring and ninja ring.

Anyways, I'm having issues getting through New Londo, can't seem to get the key to enter the room to flood out the water. I little brother got it from that red mage guy on the top of the building by speaking to him, I didn't get any key. I haven't got Lordvessal on this data yet, trying to get Dark Wraith Covenant trophy. I think imma have to kill him... oh well.
Oct 14, 2011 5:04 PM
Jul 2018
Yep you have to kill him, i did that on my first play through for the trophy as well. Not that i cared, i'm not gonna use a merchant that fores me to go through those annoying ghosts to get to him each time.
Oct 14, 2011 6:10 PM

Mar 2008
snafu said:Blighttown is killing me, so is that stone knight in darkroot basin, the one guarding the little tower room back to undead burg :(
Plus my drake sword keeps breaking

You are aware that using the special R2 consumes 30 durability.
On my remade char I master key'd to the boss and finished Blighttown...really fast. No need for any of the items...I may go back just for the Iaito. And maybe the ninja set.
Oct 14, 2011 6:57 PM

Sep 2010
Paul said:
God f**king shit. I finally managed to get to Alvina for the Forest Hunter Covenant but her wording was so god dam weird I chose No instead of Yes. She wouldn't let me retry... got pissed off and killed her. /theres goes my fog ring and ninja ring.

You can still get both those rings, actually. If you trade a skull lantern to snuggly (warm and fuzzy :3) the crow at the asylum you get the fog ring and the ninja ring is a drop from the crazy ninja lookin' dude that pals around with Shiva in the forest, near the other hunters.
Oct 14, 2011 9:46 PM

Dec 2010
Damn MAL. There went my post.
@snafu: Yeah, Toushi is right. As abit of extra incentive you can get the poisonbite ring from Oswald for 15000 souls. A good deal since it gives you a godly resistance to it. Rusty iron ring plus that will make blighttown a breeze. Also, get yourself some blooming purple moss clomps from either the udnead female vendor or by farming moss in the darkroot garden. With this setup it'll be a breeze.
I just beat seath! God, I hate that fucker for cursing me. I had to run back to oswald to get myself a purging stone. Used the ones I got from Smuggly because of the god damn tomb of the giants. I hated the curbstomp battle, I lost 11 humanity. Made me an unhappy camper.
I also love the hell out of Ornstein's armor. God, its fucking sexy. Too bad it can't be upgraded. I'm also disappointed in the dragonslayer spear. No gliding spear attack animation? Son I am disappoint. Valley of Drakes is bitch easy because of it though, so no complaints. I didn't have that many unique soul forged weapons anyway, so I'm not all that bothered using my demon titanite on it.
By the way Snafu, since you'll be fighting the quelaag and you may be going through valley of drakes, you really should get the dragon crest shield the undead dragon is guarding. Getting the key, unlocking new londo, and suiciding running for the items is a pretty good deal. Makes the quelaag boss easy.
By the way, where is the Iaito katana anyways? I've entered blighttown afew times for it, couldn't find it or the shadow set.

Edit: by the way, where exactly IS the black knight armor? I also heard it has special effects? How much does it weigh? i plan on rolling without having to rely on The FaP ring so I want to adjust my end. accordingly.
LaurietOct 14, 2011 10:12 PM
Oct 15, 2011 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah ornsteins armor is quite nice looking, but it's armor value is rather low.
Black knight armor is in the kiln of the first flame, the short path leading to the boss of the game. Also should be noted that is an excellent place to farm titanite chunks for upgrading.
Oct 15, 2011 7:36 AM
Jul 2018
Lauriet said:
I just beat seath! God, I hate that fucker for cursing me. I had to run back to oswald to get myself a purging stone. Used the ones I got from Smuggly because of the god damn tomb of the giants. I hated the curbstomp battle, I lost 11 humanity. Made me an unhappy camper.

Huh. I must have done something right on Seath. I never saw a hint of curse besides the stone guys standing around in the room. Beat him on my first try. I actually thought he was one of the easiest bosses so far, maybe I just got lucky.

Edit: don't feel bad, I just lost 7 humanity because I forgot I unequipped my lava protection ring. You can imagine how that went.

Lauriet said:
By the way, where is the Iaito katana anyways? I've entered blighttown afew times for it, couldn't find it or the shadow set.

Going in to Blighttown normally, when you come in to the big chamber, one of the paths leads to a drop-off with some treasure on a platform. Gotta do a running jump to reach it. (Incidentally, I didn't know how to jump before this. Noob moment.)
removed-userOct 15, 2011 10:15 AM
Oct 15, 2011 3:48 PM

Dec 2010
His AoE crystal breath has curse buildup.

I got the Iaito, thanks.
Oct 15, 2011 4:11 PM

Jan 2008
Should just use the Uchigatana. It has higher attack than the Iaito. Only difference is the move sets (R2 and Run+R1, I thinking Roll+R1 as well.) Same stats required. You can buy them from Shiva for 5000 souls each as well (if your in the Forest Hunter Covenant. If not, just kill the first undead Merchant for one, he becomes useless).
Oct 15, 2011 4:24 PM

Dec 2010
Already killed him. I'm not planning on using it, I just like having everything. lol Completionism at work.
Oct 15, 2011 7:11 PM

Sep 2010
I've read around and seen people saying Demon's Souls was harder than this.

I wasn't really leaning one way or the other until that god damn lava pit in Lost Izalith with all the dragon hind-ends.

What the HELL, From Soft, that place was just CRUEL.

Oh and I got the armour of thorns last night too after beating the bed of chaos. It looks amazing, it's hilarious to use (roll into things and damage them ololol) and to top it off it can be upgraded. Definitely my favourite armour in the game.
Oct 15, 2011 7:29 PM
Jul 2018
Cucumbers said:
I wasn't really leaning one way or the other until that god damn lava pit in Lost Izalith with all the dragon hind-ends.

What the HELL, From Soft, that place was just CRUEL.

Hehe. I just pulled with my enchanted bow, crystal soulmassed them, ran between their legs and soul speared 'em. Sorcery has made some encounters way too easy.

Cucumbers said:
Oh and I got the armour of thorns last night too after beating the bed of chaos. It looks amazing, it's hilarious to use (roll into things and damage them ololol) and to top it off it can be upgraded. Definitely my favourite armour in the game.

Okay, you have to tell me where, exactly, that is. Because I just beat that sucker earlier today and must have missed it. I need it for the lulz.
Oct 15, 2011 8:15 PM

Sep 2010
It's a three-step process to get that armour. You have to be in human form for all these encounters, too, since they're invasions.

Anyway, first time Kirk invades you is after the first drop-down (near the curse frogs) in the sewers. If you kill the gaping dragon he won't respawn, so make sure you either whip his ass the first time around or come back in human form for a rematch.

Second is after you beat Ceaseless Discharge and the lava cools to let you cross. Go down the winding staircase on the side of the cliff-face (where the lesser capra demons are) and on your way to the second bonfire he'll invade. Same gig here, if you beat Firesage he won't respawn.

Third is literally right in front of the fog door to the bed of chaos boss. Once you go up the stairs to the top of the pyramid...thing, where the chaos witch NPC is, he'll invade.

After you smush him all 3 times go to the daughters of chaos area (where the white spider waifu is) and go all the way towards the back of the room, opposite the bonfire. There'll be a corpse leaning against the wall with the armour on it.
Oct 15, 2011 11:30 PM

Jul 2011
when i played demon soul, i raged at the game, its way too hard =.=, yet i found the game quite interesting. just hope dark souls is easier

hey hey, do you have smoked cheeze?
Nyoro~n
Oct 16, 2011 3:47 AM

Dec 2010
@Mrcheeze: Good luck. Demon's Souls just brought out from Software's sadism. Dark Souls is them flexing it. See a treasure conveniently located in front of you? Three guesses you are already surrounded or are about to get burned alive. Accidentally aggroed a black knight? Congratulations, one of you have to die in order for it to stop. Beat an annoying fireball throwing boss, going into the next area and realizing there is absolutely no lights whatsoever. Not only do you have to navigate this lightless dungeon, but its required! Oh yes and there are roughly 33 pitfalls (in the starting area at least). 22 are fatal, several will land you in the presence of giant murakumo wielding skeletons and their demon spider skeleton dogs! Bright side? You may get lucky and find an NPC that loves pushing you down holes and find a morbid lantern that'll *only* give you enough light to see what's about to kill you.

Congratulations, you've beaten all the bosses besides the last one! Oh, and, I neglected to mention this, but he's also the mixture of demon's Souls hardest and most annoying two bosses rolled into one. Not only is he relentless he has animations that can kill you in one hit, close the distance in the blink of an eye.... and if you don't have a good enough fire resistance by then, you are going to get kicked around so much.

That's just to name a few fine examples. There is also curse status whiich can stack-- eventually giving you only a slither of health before you die. Get hit once? Dead. Going to fight a boss? Hopefully you can do it with 1/2 of your health. Because curse reduces your maximum health, making you easier to kill. Oh AND the resistance is humanity, in which case you lose quite often because Dark Souls is death mountain on steroid, acid, Chuck Norris' pee, and Angry German's kid rage.

But it ain't all that bad. You may find a benevolent phantom and have them act as meatshield as you fight crystalline dragons, personifications of Death, Demon spider women, and a lot of mooks that'll kick your ass if you even remotely give them the oppurtunity to.

I think I summed my beloved Dark Souls up quite nicely. You'll make it through, but it'll by the skin of your teeth. *shot*
Oct 16, 2011 6:46 AM

Jan 2008
@mrcheeze - I found Demon's Soul's more harder than this.

@Lauriet - Beh, Cave of Giants wasn't too hard and killing Pinwheel was just lmao. Basically, if you go Lightning Upgrade for your first play-through, you'll pretty much own anything depending on your actual control.

@Cucumbers - For those Dragon guys down in Lost Izalith, I told my brother to simply use Iron Flesh and guess what? He did. He took no damage from the lava while the ring was equipped and those dragons barely damaged him. Not only that, they're so stupid that multiple of them ran near each other and killed each other, he only had to kill the left over. He was using a Lightning Uchigatana (+5) and killed them in like what... 3~4 hits? I believe they do not respawn either, or at least the ones in front of the direction you need to go to because they did not while my little brother was playing. Pyromancy requires no Int/Faith. Therefore, everyone should be able to use it, no loss from not getting it.

Anyways, I was screwing around and went back to that red dragon in the beginning. I shot it to bring it down and then attacked it. I killed it in about 5 hits. Lolwut?
Oct 16, 2011 6:50 AM
Jul 2018
Cucumbers said:
It's a three-step process to get that armour. You have to be in human form for all these encounters, too, since they're invasions.

Anyway, first time Kirk invades you is after the first drop-down (near the curse frogs) in the sewers. If you kill the gaping dragon he won't respawn, so make sure you either whip his ass the first time around or come back in human form for a rematch.

Second is after you beat Ceaseless Discharge and the lava cools to let you cross. Go down the winding staircase on the side of the cliff-face (where the lesser capra demons are) and on your way to the second bonfire he'll invade. Same gig here, if you beat Firesage he won't respawn.

Third is literally right in front of the fog door to the bed of chaos boss. Once you go up the stairs to the top of the pyramid...thing, where the chaos witch NPC is, he'll invade.

After you smush him all 3 times go to the daughters of chaos area (where the white spider waifu is) and go all the way towards the back of the room, opposite the bonfire. There'll be a corpse leaning against the wall with the armour on it.

Hm, I THINK I got him all those times, once I get through the Catacombs I'll have to check. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Nope, musta missed one of the times, ah well.

Just beat the game. I must have been a bit over-leveled because the last fight was WAY too easy. New Game + time?

Overall I'd have to say the game was very satisfying and addicting. I haven't been this glued to a single-player game for a long time. It had some faults, mostly technical (frame rates, occasional input lag or something), keeping it from being perfect, but I'd give it a 9/10. I also thought that the ending came rather abruptly. I really didn't think it was the ending until the credits started rolling.

Anyway, I'd have to say if you are looking for a challenge, DON'T play as a sorcerer. I feel like I cheated on half the encounters.
removed-userOct 16, 2011 9:48 AM
Oct 16, 2011 10:57 AM

Sep 2010
I became a sunbro last night and I've been white phantoming for people in Anor Londo. Well technically GOLD PHANTOMING. But still. Great Lightning Spear + Crystal Ring Shield = twoshotting ornstein. This setup is just ridiculous. I'm using a +7 (haven't gotten enough white titanite chunks yet) divine great club so my crystal ring shield hits for like 1400 a shot.
Oct 16, 2011 11:29 AM

Dec 2010
@Paul: Pinwheel was easier, yeah. Easy to track him and damage him. Though he's considerably tougher to beginners then someone that has beaten Fool's Idol from demon's Souls in NG+.
Oct 16, 2011 11:41 AM

Jan 2008
Lauriet said:
@Paul: Pinwheel was easier, yeah. Easy to track him and damage him. Though he's considerably tougher to beginners then someone that has beaten Fool's Idol from demon's Souls in NG+.

TBH, I didn't even know about the Catacombs til after I beat Anor Londo for the first time. LOL.
Oct 17, 2011 11:55 AM

Sep 2010
So I finally farmed up 130k souls to absolve myself so I could join the hunter covenant and get the ninja-flip ring and totally spaced out and answered no to the catbitch. So now I have to farm again. FML.

In other news being a Sunbro is amazing. I've been signing in Anor Londo the past few days and with the crystal ring shield and great lightning spear (paired with crown of the dark sun and the miracle enhancing ring) I completely smear the fatty and slim fight. I've been killing Smough first so people can get Ornsteins armour. So if you're levels 58-70 and want Smough dead first I'd be glad to help. Just look for my gold sign after the spiral elevator in Anor Londo! (PSN name is Toph btw)
Oct 17, 2011 1:24 PM

Dec 2007
I actually used the glitch to save time getting souls...It helps a lot tbh. It's not cheating, it's saving time. PvP seems interesting to do =P
Oct 17, 2011 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
Toushi said:
I actually used the glitch to save time getting souls...It helps a lot tbh. It's not cheating, it's saving time. PvP seems interesting to do =P

Yeah, but I can farm the capra demons down in the lava place for about 5k a minute with none of the guilt. Reasonable tradeoff to me. I doubt it is efficient if you can't one-shot them though.
Oct 17, 2011 1:59 PM

Jul 2008
Just got my hands on it a few minutes ago and at the creation screen. I faintly remember playing Demon Souls and what little I played was as a pure melee class. So I have some questions, like how the spell system works. Do you need items to cast spells or do they work off your fatigue bar? Depending on how it sounds I'll probably go pyromancer to better mold my stats.
Oct 17, 2011 2:07 PM
Jul 2018
Pyromancer is considered one of the best starting classes because of the good stats and low level.

Spells work on charges. The first pyromancer spell will only allow you 8 charges until you have to rest at a bonfire to recharge. On the plus side they cost nothing from the stamina bar. If you want more charges on a spell, you'll need to attune a second scroll of the same type (assuming you have enough points in the attunement stat for the slots). I personally like the way it works out, along with how the estus flask works, but your mileage may vary.

After playing through the game I would certainly recommend melee with pyromancy support over a pure melee or a pure sorcerer. In fact, that is what I am looking at for a new character.

Also, spells require a conduit for casting, essentially taking up a weapon or shield slot. Something else to consider, though it isn't a big deal.
Oct 17, 2011 2:17 PM

Jan 2008
Pyromancy is a must, it requires no Int or Faith and it is incredibly easy to boost it's damage.
Oct 23, 2011 9:20 PM

Apr 2011
Currently playing Demon's Soul's. But I must say Dark Souls is a must get!

"Enough said."
Oct 24, 2011 10:00 AM

Jan 2008
If you can beat Demon's Soul, then you can beat Dark Souls. I find Dark Souls incredibly easier than Demon's Souls.
Oct 24, 2011 10:54 AM

Sep 2010
I donno, I wouldn't really say Demon's Souls is harder. I mean even the boss that people seem to consider "the hardest" (flamelurker) can be cheesed incredibly easy with the thief's ring + clouds. Heck, just about any boss in the game can be cheesed with clouds. The only boss I consider genuinely difficult (though more of a fun challenge than "throw your controller across the room in rage") is Allant. And Ornstein/Smough give Allant a good run for his money, I'd say.
Oct 24, 2011 11:08 AM

Jan 2008
In Dark Soul's.... you can simply own just about every boss using a Lightning Weapon + Iron Flesh.

Iron Flesh not working because of certain attacks? (Seaths Curse, etc), Then just use a Ring Shield. /kills Chaos Witch Quelaag with 7~8 shots with a +5 Lightning Uchigatana.

Every boss is incredibly easy. Hell, the only 'hard' in-game part would be getting pass the two archers in Anor Londo and maybe Cave of Giants on your very first play.

The game itself right now I would recommend you not PvP til the next patch... there are so many abused bugs, like the infinite item (Hero Souls for infinite Souls, Firebombs for PvP, Humanity...etc..) with Dragon Head Stone, equipping TWoP (Tranquil Walk of Peace; it's a Miracle that slows all targets in the area down, like the Stone Sword.) without even meeting the Faith Stat requirement, and I believe there were a few more "things that weren't suppose to be". One major one being the Strong Magic Shield Spell, making you invincible for 20 seconds.

The Trophies (PS3) are a lot easier to get as well if that maters.
Oct 24, 2011 11:14 AM

Sep 2010
You do have a point. Lightning weapons and the crystal ring shield are just stupid. As someone who abuses said shield for co-op boss kills, I'd be okay with it getting toned way the hell down.

But I wouldn't really say that one is harder than the other. I mean they both have "easy way out" strategies that are essentially foolproof. You could always challenge yourself to make things more interesting. Like playing the game with no HUD.
Oct 24, 2011 11:52 AM

Dec 2007
Zomfg...I'm not trusting any quotation now >.>

@insipidclownfish: 5k a minute isn't bad but I think it's not far as good enough to get yourself to over level...200. I mean, to get to 792 you need more than 16 billion and for 350+ you already need more than 2 million a level. I'm pretty sure you're good enough at maths knowing that it will take a really long time to get to that. Not that there's much use to it, but for once it's fun. I only needed to kill Gwyn by the time I used it. As usual, bosses are quite easy as a Sorcerer o.o

@Paul: I know about the PvP. You can gimp out the other player so bad that they can't do anything. Not to mention that when you want to go to Artorias or something, the wolf as a human. You get invaded pretty easily when you just want to kill a boss? It's pretty annoying if you ask me.

There's a difference in the Trophies/Achievements? >.>
ValunaOct 24, 2011 11:57 AM
Oct 24, 2011 2:31 PM

Jan 2011
Once you got the dodging/blocking formula right the first game wasn't as much of a challenge as everyone makes it to be, though you could still get caught in traps and bosses could still kill you in unexpected ways. Still I am not a masochist and don't really have the time to play the second game so I think I'll pass for now.
Oct 25, 2011 1:31 AM

Jun 2008
I find pvp to be quite fun. All I gotta do is chill in the forest area and I'll constantly get invaded.

It's a whole lot funner than demons souls was.. at least in its end years. It was almost always time spent getting failed invasions.
Oct 25, 2011 5:54 PM

Jan 2010
I defeated Quelaag and Sif over the weekend. Still just trudging my way through my first playthrough of the game.
Nov 2, 2011 10:32 PM

Dec 2010
Dark Souls sold 1.5 million in total

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=110211_6

Wohoo! 1.5 million people got their asses whooped! You see that number bamco? America sold more then Japan. Despite you outsourcing descriptions like a lazy ass. Still going to be borderline xenophobic about importing anything over here though, so still, fuck you.

I love Atlus and From Software, they always manage to do well~
Nov 3, 2011 12:02 AM
May 2009
Lauriet said:

Wohoo! 1.5 million people got their asses whooped! You see that number bamco? America sold more then Japan. Despite you outsourcing descriptions like a lazy ass. Still going to be borderline xenophobic about importing anything over here though, so still, fuck you.

Well, Atlus didn't do anything this time. It was Namco Bandai that published it.
Nov 3, 2011 5:27 AM

Dec 2010
Rokubungi said:
Lauriet said:

Well, Atlus didn't do anything this time. It was Namco Bandai that published it.

I know.... I was making a commentary. In fact besides the link all my psot was was a commentary. I know ATLUS didn't do remotely ANYTHING for Dark Souls. It was my petty way to say "See this is the results you get when you actually do something outside of Japan Bamco".

Don't interrupt my hatewagon. I rather enjoy riding it. But anyways since I visit Actiontrip often now I figured I'd share the statistics.
Nov 4, 2011 12:11 PM

Jan 2008
Japan's 1.04 patch. Expecting ours sooner or later.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/dark-souls-patch-1-04-details/
Nov 4, 2011 1:25 PM
Jul 2018
Wow, I'd have to say those are all nice changes. But I'm not sure I'm understanding this one or not:

Humanity Item drop rate increased from 10 to 210

Does that mean that humanity drops have increased by a factor of 21? If so, that is huge, so I'm not sure I'm reading it right.
Nov 4, 2011 1:34 PM

Jan 2008
insipidclownfish said:
Wow, I'd have to say those are all nice changes. But I'm not sure I'm understanding this one or not:

Humanity Item drop rate increased from 10 to 210

Does that mean that humanity drops have increased by a factor of 21? If so, that is huge, so I'm not sure I'm reading it right.

I was thinking it was weird too. It might just be the other way around, the drop rate itself from monsters maybe? Though, if it is the monster drop rate, it sounds like it might be as easy to get Humanity from Rat (and other monsters) as it is to get Moss from them Bush Monsters. I'm not too sure overall the jump from 10 to 210 seems too big.

It probably is the Drop Rate stat itself juding by how the max is 210, meaning you'll probably just need 10 humanity stored up to reach max drop rate for humanity instead of 30.
PaulNov 4, 2011 1:39 PM
Nov 4, 2011 1:37 PM

Mar 2008
Wow this game suddenly became so much more worth playing. Particularly that ring of fog change. And the neutral weapon (particularly dex weapon) scaling.

Good stuff from From Software devs.
Nov 4, 2011 2:49 PM

Dec 2010
Oh thank god Ingward sells transient curses now. When I got to him and cleared the lower part of New Londo out I ran out of transient curses. I would absolutely not mind using my souls to get a convenient stop.

As for the stat scaling, yay! I hope they made the greatsword of artorias more worth using. the stat spread is tight and doesn't really give much room for improvement in STR/DEX since they both rank C pre-patch.

And Domdood sells master key now? Sweet.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

524 by SnipeStrike »»
13 minutes ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

54 by Shizuna »»
27 minutes ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
4 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
Yesterday, 9:54 PM

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
Yesterday, 6:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.