Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 13, 2010 6:46 AM

Dec 2009
Okay, I have to update this. A couple of days ago we found out that Funimation has posted the episodes 1-4 on their channel at Youtube.com. You can view it there, but be warned it was rated wrong.

I must say I was cringing when Sebastian's voice came on.. I swear he sounds like an old man with a nasal problem. The accents are horrible, and Ciel's voice made hims sound too much like a grown woman!! A woman can you believe that! Sebastian's and Ciel's just made me want to rip my ears off, and then there was Bard's, Finnian's, and Undertakers voices.. and so many others that were just wrong.. But this is about Sebastian, so we will concentrate on Sebastian.

I was right about Tantum not being a good match for Sebastian. I can't get the image of a perverted old Sebastian out of my mind now, as I can't get a grown female Ciel out of my head. My image of the characters was ruined.

The dub is tolerable to some exstent, but it is just awful at the same time.

Anyway.. I am curious as to what all you fans think of Sebastian's English Voice.

Note: When you watch or before replying, put your emotions and fan sides aside and come at it with a rational mind (critic mind). Open up your ears, and you'll notice a few things... Don't be like those idiots on Youtube that rate it for their like of the show and don't bother actually paying attention to the VAs. (this will help in any review scenario by the way.)

Also, you don't have to buy something this is so over priced just to get your subs. You can download or watch from any anime streaming site. You can watch both versions on youtube. And you can get the full version plus OVA at a reasonable price at Ioffer.com. Don't waste money on something that you are most likely going to sale later on, or for something you'll regret.

Also, if fans will start being more active we can accomplish alot of things.. Lets show them that we fans will not be pushed aside when it comes to our favorite series. Help spread the word!
lovelyphantomNov 29, 2010 6:00 AM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 9, 2010 9:41 AM

Nov 2010
Really...I don't think it fits him very well...

Nov 29, 2010 6:02 AM

Dec 2009
I know. Its like he is an old man with some nasal problem. 'cringes' I feel so bad for Sebastian's character.

Have you notice how many fannessic fans are getting all lovie dovy over a bad voice actor.. So stupid. Hopefully the will wise up before it is too late.

Dec 23, 2010 1:33 PM

Jun 2010
So bad it hurts to listen to it... >.<

The dub... :( (Though I've heard worse ¬¬)
Dec 24, 2010 11:17 AM

Apr 2010
I had enough hearing Ciel's and Sebastian's voice...

Let's concentarte on Sebastian's voice.
Well, the fact that their family names are alike (Michaelis and J. Michael), doesn't mean it's a match from heaven...

He sounds really distant and out of no where. He sounds too old. Sure, sebastian isn't really 20 years old, but a least he has body one. (He's a demon, who knows how long he lived already).

Give me back my beloved sexy Japanese voice! :D

That's the only thing I found, so if search for something, you can use this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZtlmAGDZE&feature=related

Now that I finished to talk about Sebastian, let's say something about Ciel's Enligsh voice. No surprise it sounds feminine, because after all it woman's voices.

A conclusion: Never let American woman dub a male chacter and don't let old dull man to dub some adorable like Sebastian.

Dec 25, 2010 10:04 AM

Apr 2008
EfiChan said:

Well, the fact that their family names are alike (Michaelis and J. Michael), doesn't mean it's a match from heaven...

He sounds really distant and out of no where. He sounds too old. Sure, sebastian isn't really 20 years old, but a least he has body one. (He's a demon, who knows how long he lived already).

Now that I finished to talk about Sebastian, let's say something about Ciel's Enligsh voice. No surprise it sounds feminine, because after all it woman's voices.

A conclusion: Never let American woman dub a male chacter and don't let old dull man to dub some adorable like Sebastian.

Personally i'ma buy the dvds cause it'll have the japanese one on it XD Nuff said. XD

Feel free to read my fics as well http://www.fanfiction.net/~femaleheeroyuy
Apr 2, 2011 1:43 PM

Jun 2010
I hate it but i put up with it. i would love Sebastian no matter what... even if his voice makes me blow someone up, throw a rock at his head, or jump off a cliff into oblivion.....
"Man cannot change his fate, unless he picks a different route, on destiny's many paths"
-Shizaki, Kuro

]
Jun 6, 2011 2:14 AM

Jul 2009
Omg, what am I doing? I voted for the wrong choice. LOL I thought it was just Sebastian's voice, and didn't notice the continuation, IN THE DUB. Meaning, in the English dub. I don't like it, and will forever love the original. My vote should be Tolerable but awful.

Jul 24, 2011 11:03 PM

Dec 2009
Voted for "Tolerable but awful", he sounds a little old, I was expecting something more sensual like in the original dub
Sep 23, 2011 6:16 AM

Aug 2009
tatum sounds the same in every role but this one he added a crappy 'accent' tat sound lame and annoying and ooold , he cant re do Daisuke Ono, thats all, not possible. Sebby's voice is one of those voices that can not be re done. The dub was annoying i hear it and i want to gag.
~Nothing is a Better Modivator Than Revenge~
Sep 24, 2011 9:03 PM

Aug 2011
I cried out blood....
Sep 29, 2011 10:43 PM

Feb 2011
I know he's supposed to have an English accent, but I couldn't take it. When I first heard it, I was in total shock (T_T). Absolutely ruined him in the dub :( . It wasn't just him. I was angrily screaming when I heard everyone else's voice...especially Finny. If I had a gun at the moment, I would have blown out my brains or shot at the television to make it stop >:| I LOVED the original voices and always will.
Oct 11, 2011 10:05 AM

Oct 2011
I don't really know... his voice is okay, much better than some of the others.

He has the same voice as Kyoya from Ouran Highschool Host Club, only more English ( ? i don't know if it can be called that).
Feb 28, 2013 4:18 PM
Feb 2013
I love Sebby's voice in the Dub, Michael J Tatum is AWESOME. It's Kyouya with a british accent, who wouldn't want that? Okay well maybe it's just me then but it's too bad he's gay.
Apr 3, 2014 4:04 AM
Feb 2014
I love Sebastian's voice I don't care what other people say j. michael Tatum is awesome
linkoujo23Jul 15, 2015 10:06 PM
May 26, 2014 8:25 PM

Mar 2009
I love the dub version of black butler. I mean there are worse dub animes and the voice actors they picked out were perfect and I have to comment on Ciels voice. A woman does it. So what!!! There are many woman voice actors that do the voice of boys in animes. But I am very pleased with the dub voices!
Jun 14, 2016 4:16 AM
Apr 2015
EfiChan said:

I find Sebastian's english voice actor would be more suited for Tanaka.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Member Cards *Open* ( 1 2 3 )

Shunhades - Dec 14, 2010

128 by ShiroeTan »»
Jun 19, 2016 5:28 AM

» SO, If he was your butler....How would you make him serve you? :D ( 1 2 )

Chainsawkiller - Jul 20, 2009

63 by ShiroeTan »»
Jun 14, 2016 4:10 AM

» What do you LOVE about Sebastian? ( 1 2 3 )

xera - Dec 28, 2008

106 by _-Usura-_ »»
Nov 6, 2015 12:40 PM

» Best Sebastian quote/moment?

Chaoslyene - Dec 2, 2010

2 by RachelPanda »»
Mar 18, 2014 9:19 AM

Sticky: » Member Cards *Pickup Center*

Shunhades - Jan 23, 2011

2 by Shunhades »»
Sep 22, 2011 9:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.