Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 6, 2023 8:45 AM

Apr 2020
It's been a couple years since Yamada left KyoAni, and I remember reading this SakugaBlog article which covered why it initially looked like Science Saru would have been a good fit for her, but there was some concern about the direction of overworking and overlapping projects that the studio seemed to be taking, despite their initial goal to avoid these working conditions that have become a norm in this industry.

Yamada alone was the director of 3 projects in 2022, and Science Saru had several other projects last year directed by others. Does anyone know of any news regarding the working conditions at Saru recently? I love Naoko Yamada's work and it really hurts me to think that she might be a victim of increasingly unrealistic production timelines, especially after having worked at one of the only studios with humane working conditions, and losing her coworkers during the arson attack.
I can't even function as a human being anymore.
Feb 11, 2023 9:53 PM

Apr 2013
Heike would've had the majority of the production in 2021 since it actually started airing on the 15th of september of that year. In 2022 she only directed a 30 minute ONA episode for a different studio and a 20 minute short film for Science Saru. I think she'll be okay.
Feb 13, 2023 8:30 AM

Apr 2020
ElPolzerino said:
Heike would've had the majority of the production in 2021 since it actually started airing on the 15th of september of that year. In 2022 she only directed a 30 minute ONA episode for a different studio and a 20 minute short film for Science Saru. I think she'll be okay.
That's true, the stuff she worked on was all pretty small scale last year. I guess that the main reason for my concern isn't solely about what Yamada is working on, but also the direction the studio has taken as a whole, spreading their staff of 40-50 core employees thin and expecting the same level of quality from them.

An animator at Saru that was working on Heike and a couple different projects around the same time went public about the poor work conditions at Saru, and the studio threatened to sue them for doing so, which I think is pretty indicative of the culture of the studio rn.

The condition of Saru right now obviously isn't nearly as bad as a lot of other studios, but they've definitely taken a turn for the worse post-covid. I just find it kinda sad that Yamada has to work in this kind of a work environment now, especially when the working environment that she had previously experienced was the healthiest and smartest in the industry.
Feb 14, 2023 7:04 AM

Apr 2020
ElPolzerino said:
Well not that it should be any consolation, but she is in a very senior role in the company. Its not like she couldn't just pack her bags and get another gig with a snap of her fingers, if she wanted to.
Yeah, hopefully things get better at Saru though so it doesn't come to that
Feb 14, 2023 7:52 AM

Aug 2020
I hope my girl is alright. I like her works a lot ^__^

Mar 19, 2023 2:14 PM

Feb 2021
I also hope that she is doing well!
Aug 3, 2023 1:57 AM

Nov 2007
Delayed from Fall 2023 to 2024
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/535491

casts
visual
special pv
August 30, 2024
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/565526
tsubasaloverMar 18, 2:29 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 6, 6:04 PM

Feb 2017
Yeah, hopefully she does well on this project and have good health. I think she should co-manage with others than doing it just herself though.

『時間は限られています。時間は貴重です。今それを住んでいます。』

More topics from this board

» when will this come to streaming sites?

griddyweeb - Aug 31

2 by SDA0 »»
Sep 1, 7:27 AM

» visual & theme song

nirererin - Aug 15

1 by neel_rah »»
Aug 25, 10:51 AM

» First PV and this Summer

Dbagas8 - Mar 18

18 by billybub »»
Jul 7, 4:17 PM

» interesting

DarcAmor - Jul 4, 2023

3 by YahiyaX777L »»
Apr 13, 12:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.