Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 3, 2023 10:37 AM
Jan 2023
Here's the situation: I recently finished translating all of the Japanese sign language (JSL) in the Koe no Katachi manga (along with some related bits of series analysis). This is a shameless plug for that work.

https://imgur.com/a/qymVejp
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13i0xF9tHsiH0bVO_y3eI_P6ZHCOB9lOdKWGeZIukUG4

Currently, the best way to read these notes is either through the above attached Imgur gallery or Google doc. The Imgur gallery is a slightly more exhaustive analysis via its extended supplemental notes, but the Google doc is somewhat easier to navigate. I am considering various options in terms of alternative formats for this information. I would truly appreciate the interest and feedback of all fellow fans of the series.

If you would like a more easily digestible sampling of what you can expect from my work to help you decide if it's worth your time, you can take a look at my translations and notes for Chapter 54 (major spoilers for the manga, of course):

https://i.imgur.com/ofO91SL
https://i.imgur.com/bUnQ0FF
https://i.imgur.com/v63w6LM

I think that understanding the JSL dialogue greatly strengthens one's appreciation for the subtleties of the story -- Performing this analysis certainly did so for me. Through such understanding, there are many moments throughout the entire series that gain really satisfying new layers of subtext and character nuance, especially for Shouko, who absolutely shines as a character.

As far as I can tell, this is easily the most comprehensive and rigorous JSL analysis anyone has done for the series. I hope you will all let me know what you think. I would love if this work could become a readily available resource for fans.
Jul 15, 2023 4:55 AM
Jul 2023
Thank you for your work, I'm really happy that there is someone truly cares for the series, both anime, manga and the fanbook and especially the shipping between the two characters like me. I mean it's really haunting and hurtful everytime I saw an anime, manga that the two main characters future was unknown, whether they end up together or not. In this series, I know and do believe that both of them will end up together since the manga did imply it so well, but the fanbook destroys it all and make it as a 50/50. Thanks to your analysis, my hope for the ship has rise up but there is one part that still make me feel unstable:
- In the Character Commentary, especially on the Shouko Future Ahead, does it true that in only describe her future in the two years gap or it is the future of herself ? I mean if other character's Future Ahead section also describe them in the two year gap then it fine, otherwise, in will be very suck
Jul 15, 2023 6:35 AM
Jan 2023
AlwaysWonder said:
- In the Character Commentary, especially on the Shouko Future Ahead, does it true that in only describe her future in the two years gap or it is the future of herself ? I mean if other character's Future Ahead section also describe them in the two year gap then it fine, otherwise, in will be very suck
I am gradually working on a more comprehensive translation and analysis of the fanbook as well, but, yes, in the Future Ahead section for Shouko, Oima describes her living and working arrangement while working for Salon Stray Cat starting after Ch 61 rather than where she plans to work and live after Ch 62, which is left not directly confirmed. The section describes that Shouko begins living alone in a room provided by the salon, a description that could only make sense if it occurs shortly after she moves away from home to Tokyo and starts working there. This interpretation is also consistent with the description that she hangs out with Sahara and Ueno on her days off, which is just another restatement of the status quo between Ch 61 and Ch 62.
Additionally, the Future Ahead section for Shouya is similar, making reference to Shouya likely becoming a barber and working at his family's salon, despite that simply being another restatement of the events between Ch 61 and 62. Also, Oima ends Shouya's section with a question of whether he will ever truly be able to love himself, a question that Chapter 62 gives a firm answer to if you're paying attention ("Yes").
All of this points to a consistent choice by Oima not to directly confirm the events after Ch 62, apparently seeing the foreshadowing, subtext, and implications of the manga itself as adequate explanation of the unseen epilogue. I agree with this, as I think it would cheapen the story's style and substance if she spelled out what the story itself shows through subtext and other subtle means (i.e., that Shouya and Shouko's affections for each other have grown in the intervening years, and Shouko plans to work for the Ishidas' salon).

Edit: Oh, also -- Regarding whether only Shouko's "Future Ahead" section is like this: No. As mentioned above, Shouya's is like this too, as is Kawai's, which makes reference to her going to the same university as Mashiba, something that happens between Ch 61 and 62.
CroseusJul 15, 2023 6:40 AM
Jan 5, 8:11 AM

Mar 2022
Thanks for your hard work, you rock!

More topics from this board

» Difference?

Mangahater - Apr 19

9 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 20, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 62 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maerow - Nov 15, 2014

291 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 61 Discussion

Ana - Nov 9, 2014

45 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 57 Discussion

Maerow - Oct 11, 2014

40 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 50 Discussion

Ana - Aug 26, 2014

39 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 3:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.