Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 12, 2022 1:08 PM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
This dude has some serious trauma. What have women done to him to deserve literally ANY of what's happening throughout this manga and what kind of fucked up fantasy trips is he taking through his protagonist?

I actually wanted to get through this manga because the art style and the scenery has some stunning panels, but jesus christ I just can't.

Has anyone else experienced this or why in the world is this rated so highly?
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

May 25, 2022 2:33 AM
Nov 2021
i think it's just a case of a writer trying something ''new'' by writing a completely irredeemable character in a fucked up setting. the main character is a vilified prick who always feels in the wrong even when an action he had taken was "justified".
"what did they do to deserve all of that" nothing, thats why they're depicted as victims
May 25, 2022 7:15 PM

Sep 2018
I think it was an intentional choice on the authors part to make Ryo almost as unsympathetic as possible, moreso to explore ideas of nature Vs nurture and related themes rather than just because he has some agenda against women or something haha. Imo ryo's character is the Shamo's best selling point, you don't get many stories where the "hero" is as unscrupulous as he is. Obviously, it doesn't make for the most pleasant read (he does much worse chapter 50 onwards), but if you can stomach that, and a few slightly pointless arcs, I think Shamo is worth reading to the end.
Oh You Say It's Declined ? 😬😬 Huh ? 😠😑 You Say It Was Declined ? 😠😠😑😑Aight, Shit πŸ˜”πŸ˜” Well Try My MasterCard , Bro πŸ’³πŸ’³ Yeah Yeah Yeah I Got Money On My MasterCard Fo sho πŸ˜ŸπŸ˜…πŸ’³
May 25, 2022 11:40 PM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
I get the points that you guys are making but it does not explain the type of female character he is presenting and the type of suffering he is inflicting on specifically female characters while male characters get away with little scratches and bruises here and there.

Every female character I've seen so far is portrayed as evil or discardable or both. They're subject to all bad that happens in this manga and that shows me that this mangaka has serious issues he's trying to implement into hiw work maybe even without noticing and it is BAD.

I dropped it and with all that is left to read out there I am not gonna waste time on Shamo.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

May 26, 2022 8:19 AM

Sep 2018
Just going of your profile if you read it up to chapter 50, there are definitely male characters that suffer considerably at the hands of Ryo (without spoiling too much). There are also female characters that don't suffer from Ryo, albeit it's towards the very end. I think it's a little unfair to say that the mangaka has issues, Shamo isn't some perverse fantasy, it's a character study of someone reaching the depths of depravity.

The mangaka has other works like glaucos and river end cafe, which although I haven't read them, they do not seem as viscous and mean spirited as Shamo often comes across as.

But all in all, I agree that you should read what you want or enjoy, there is a lot more out there. If you don't enjoy this, fair enough, it most definitely isn't for everyone
Oh You Say It's Declined ? 😬😬 Huh ? 😠😑 You Say It Was Declined ? 😠😠😑😑Aight, Shit πŸ˜”πŸ˜” Well Try My MasterCard , Bro πŸ’³πŸ’³ Yeah Yeah Yeah I Got Money On My MasterCard Fo sho πŸ˜ŸπŸ˜…πŸ’³
May 26, 2022 9:14 AM

Sep 2018
smxclhy said:
I suppose you never heard of artistic freedom or freedom of expression. Too bad for you the manga industry is SJW free. It's also a bit hypocritical to complain about a work when you are pirating it in the first place.

BZRKR said:

The mangaka has other works like glaucos and river end cafe,

This manga was written by two people though.

There's literally no other way to read this manga in English besides illegally, so that's not really a reason to not be critical of it.
Also the manga went under a court case between the two creators since the illustrator Akio Tanaka felt he was more responsible for some of the story elements than the writer. He went on to do glaucos and river end cafe so I think they make for valid comparisons to Shamo.
May 26, 2022 10:47 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
smxclhy said:
I suppose you never heard of artistic freedom or freedom of expression. Too bad for you the manga industry is SJW free. It's also a bit hypocritical to complain about a mangaka when you are pirating his work in the first place.

BZRKR said:

The mangaka has other works like glaucos and river end cafe,

This manga was written by two people though.

Don't agree with any of this. His work is up for discussion and interpretation just as much as he is as the creator of it open to the perception of others. It very much comes with his business.

"SWJ-free". I'll have to break it to you but this concept, although not named the same in every corner of media representation, exists constantly.

May 26, 2022 10:50 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
BZRKR said:
Just going of your profile if you read it up to chapter 50, there are definitely male characters that suffer considerably at the hands of Ryo (without spoiling too much). There are also female characters that don't suffer from Ryo, albeit it's towards the very end. I think it's a little unfair to say that the mangaka has issues, Shamo isn't some perverse fantasy, it's a character study of someone reaching the depths of depravity.

The mangaka has other works like glaucos and river end cafe, which although I haven't read them, they do not seem as viscous and mean spirited as Shamo often comes across as.

But all in all, I agree that you should read what you want or enjoy, there is a lot more out there. If you don't enjoy this, fair enough, it most definitely isn't for everyone

It is true that I'd have to read the manga till the end to see if this characterization really is coherent throughout but just going off of Ryo being an imprisoned character that has suffered some kind of psychotic breakdown including being sexually assaulted and raped makes it hard to believe that he turns out to be the way he is.

If it's supposed to be philosophical and somewhat relatable to real life's psychology of a persons mind, this mangaka does miss so many things that are important.

May 26, 2022 1:06 PM

Sep 2018
Mele said:
BZRKR said:

It is true that I'd have to read the manga till the end to see if this characterization really is coherent throughout but just going off of Ryo being an imprisoned character that has suffered some kind of psychotic breakdown including being sexually assaulted and raped makes it hard to believe that he turns out to be the way he is.

If it's supposed to be philosophical and somewhat relatable to real life's psychology of a persons mind, this mangaka does miss so many things that are important.

I mean it's not unheard of for sexual abuse victims to go on and abuse others later in their life. People deal with and respond to trauma in many different ways. That's what I kind of like about this manga, because it would be so easy for the author to give the reader a clear reason behind Ryo's actions. It's not like berserk for example, where you can pinpoint almost exactly why Guts is the way he is in the black swordsman arc. Instead in Shamo the reader is left to decide whether Ryo was made to be like this (his prison environment, rape etc) or if inherent evil is a real thing (his killing of his parents, his drawings when he was younger). Or maybe there isn't an answer like that, who knows its up to interpretation. Even in real life, there are cases where the criminal has no discernable motivation for being the way they are. Just google charlie bronson for example
May 26, 2022 1:08 PM

Sep 2018
smxclhy said:
Mele said:

Don't agree with any of this. His work is up for discussion and interpretation just as much as he is as the creator of it open to the perception of others. It very much comes with his business.

"SWJ-free". I'll have to break it to you but this concept, although not named the same in every corner of media representation, exists constantly.

Except you didn't criticize his work to begin with but directly attacked him and his artistic choices and you did it through cheapest way which is using ad hominem to quote from your sentence " What have women done to him to deserve literally ANY of what's happening throughout this manga and what kind of fucked up fantasy trips is he taking through his protagonist? ". Your "criticism" has the same mindset of an immature 16 year old teenager with a chip on his shoulder . Last but not lest, the word is SJW, not SWJ and I don't see you showing any proof it existing constantly in Japanese manga industry other than your delusions.

Lol there are plenty of LGBT manga that would be considered SJW by western standards, but the manga industry isn't caught up on labels like that. I don't know why you even brought SJW up in the first place, it's not like she said the author shouldn't be free to express himself, she was just saying her issues with his work.
Mar 23, 2023 5:57 PM

Aug 2022
This manga is basically a villains origin story.  He is supposed to be an irredeemable scumbag which is what makes this a very unique take on the marital arts genre.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shamo Chapter 327 Discussion

Tengai - Oct 1, 2015

1 by NaughtyNoddy »»
Apr 11, 12:12 PM

Poll: » Shamo Chapter 304 Discussion

NaughtyNoddy - Apr 11

0 by NaughtyNoddy »»
Apr 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Shamo Chapter 298 Discussion

Ishmael - Oct 14, 2013

4 by NaughtyNoddy »»
Apr 11, 8:08 AM

Poll: » Shamo Chapter 289 Discussion

haydocc - Jun 24, 2014

1 by NaughtyNoddy »»
Apr 11, 6:33 AM

Poll: » Shamo Chapter 280 Discussion

Ishmael - Jan 30, 2013

2 by NaughtyNoddy »»
Apr 11, 5:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.