Forum Settings
Forums

What is the ‘True’ Ending to Evangelion?: An Essay (Spoilers)

New
What was the intended ending for Neon Genesis Evangelion?
Sep 21, 2019 11:17 PM

Jan 2016
Disclaimer: Many ‘facts’ about the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise are left ubiquitous by many of the creators (see David Lynch for more surrealist blue-balling), so I’m going to speculate a bit & leave the rest up to your imagination. This essay contains spoilers; & spoilers from other series or references will be marked with a spoiler tag!

After it was known to the public that Hideaki Anno created The End of Evangelion after receiving numerous complaints about the conclusion of the TV series, there has been controversy over which ending was the intended finale for this harrowing psychological drama. Personally, I believe that both are ‘true’ endings, but The End of Evangelion is more clear on what the hell is actually going on &, controversial opinion, the film’s ending is actually more positive.

If you’re familiar with my past essays, I’m going to split everything up into sections & then have a concluding thesis statement at the end, so here we go:

PART 1: THE TWO ENDINGS ARE SEPARATED BY THE DIFFERENT DECISIONS THAT SHINJI MAKES

Some people believe that both of the ending ultimately equal the same result, this is wrong, because the end of the series is while Shinji is still in Instrumentality, creating the assumption that he never seeks the path of individualism & free-will again because he finds acceptance & love when the souls of the dead are reunited. I guess it depends on your opinion on whether humanity should face the pain & loneliness of being individuals or if everyone should strive to all be of the heart & soul. I personally believe that individuality is worth the pain of having an ego that disconnects you from others, but that’s if you even believe that individual will even exists. Before I go into more philosophical banter, I’ll lead into my next point.

PART 2: EVIDENCE & EASTER EGGS THAT IMPLIES THAT SHINJI IS DEAD AT THE END OF EPISODE 26

The title of Neon Genesis Evangelion itself, euangélion being the Greek word that means ‘good news,’ genesis means ‘the beginning,’ & ‘neon’ may refer to a hand full of things, but as an addendum to this series’ context, it is most likely referring to the Ancient Greek word ‘Νέων’ which referred to figures of classical antiquity (who had fought in wars, not all won). So, combined it can mean ‘the beginning of good news for a war hero.’ Which means the cessation of suffering, right? Which would probably be the reason why Hideaki Anno stood by the original ending so vehemently (link), because the The End of Evangelion is the antithesis of that idea. In the film, Shinji decides to live on after the apocalypse & continues to suffer, whereas, in Episode 26 he accepts death & Instrumentality.

• Hideaki Anno was one of the key animators for the anime, Urusei Yatsura before he created Neon Genesis Evangelion—there are some uncanny similarities between Episode 26’s conclusion & a dark, surreal episode of Urusei Yatsura called ‘Pitiful! Mother of Love and Banishment!?’ (みじめ!愛とさすらいの母!?) where Ataru’s mother falls & hits her head

PART 3: CONCLUSION A.K.A. ONE MORE FINAL: I NEED YOU

With all of the research done & pre-existing anime knowledge, I have come to the conclusion that most of the ideas in The End of Evangelion had been outlined before the TV’s ending, but Hideaki Anno was fine with it ending, though a few dozen questions were left unanswered. My theory is that the ending was partially ‘mapped’ out before Anno got death threats from disgruntled fans—this idea stems from some of the mentioned examples (above) & also, due to the fact the the title itself has another titular connection to a 16th century Nestorian gospel book, called Evangéliaire nestorien (Nestorian Evangelion) or Vie de Jésus-Christ (Life of Jesus Christ). A famous illustration from that manuscript is replicated in The End of Evangelion, in the scene where Unit 01 becomes the tree of life, though in the gospel, Jesus Christ is in the pillar of the tree of life—this image comes from a chapter called ‘Last Judgement.’

Nestorian Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

Many critics question the authenticity of the creation of End of Evangelion, whether it was created under the pressure of criticism or if it was the actual direction that he wanted to go; they cite examples, such as: the fan’s dissatisfaction from the finale of the TV series came from a hit piece that a famous social critic, Eiji Ōtsuka, wrote in a column; as well as, Kazuya Tsurumaki (co-director of ‘Neon Genesis Evangelion,’ GAINAX employee famous for directing FLCL) stated that the TV ending was ‘fine’ & noted that The End of Evangelion wasn’t necessary—despite that—he went on to use similar imagery to Lilith in his six episode OVA, Diebuster.

Top wo Nerae 2! Diebuster

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

I personally think that he was fine with the way the TV series ended, but also had some ideas for a movie. I don’t believe that Hideaki Anno is the type of person to create an anime (especially seeing as how hardcore of an otaku he is in his personal life) for vindictive reasons. I don’t think him posting the death threats in the live-action sequence was meant to angrily shove it in the fans’ faces—I interpreted it more as a representation of what Shinji chose at the end of the film: reality.

But I want to see them again. Because, at that time, I know my feelings were real.
—Shinji Ikari, The End of Evangelion (1997)
EggheadLunaSep 21, 2019 11:40 PM
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Sep 22, 2019 12:24 AM

Jul 2017
the re-take doujinshi is the only true ending for eva

More topics from this board

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

38 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 24 minutes ago

4 by filjoh »»
9 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

43 by EpicO4 »»
11 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
23 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 27 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.