Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 3, 2019 4:23 PM
Feb 2019
After watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (in broadcast order) and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya … I’m not really sure I got the ending right.

The Kyon whom we are following from the beginning of the movie gets stabbed and loses lots of blood, maybe he’s close to dying. Shortly before getting stabbed, though, that very same Kyon says that at the very moment this timeline’s Kyon is lying in bed at home, sleeping.

Kyon, lying in his blood, sees adult Asahina who brought him here and young future Asahina both crying at his chest. Future Yuki stops Asakura from killing Kyon with another stab of her knife aimed towards his head. Before closing his eyes, future Kyon tells injured Kyon not to worry and to sleep, and that everything will be okay.

At this moment, it’s three Kyon’s in this timeline … one injured, one sleeping in bed at home, and one from the same future as young Asahina and Yuki.

The next scene, Kyon wakes up in hospital. One of the first things he does is touching/checking his left body side or hips/stomach where he was stabbed, his facial expression showing he feels or remembers pain. That moment, Koizoumi tells the story of how Kyon hit his head by falling down the stairs (maybe pushed by some girl whoms silhouette Haruhi think she’s seen???). Kyon reacts very surprised, touching/checking his head but not feeling any pain there. He’s also told he has no visible wounds on his body.

A little later, on the roof, Kyon remembers …

1) the timeline with all his friends being “normal” and not knowing him,
2) that he made the decision to prevent that timeline from happening,
3) that this “adventure” (making the decision) almost cost his life, and
4) the words that future Kyon said to injured Kyon.

What did canonically happen and which Kyon from the three Kyon’s above do we see in hospital?

PS: I read all threads here and also quite lots in other places of the web, but …
nomnomnoriMar 4, 2019 2:55 AM
Mar 4, 2019 3:16 AM
Feb 2019
In the setting of this story, I think it’s rather reasonable that future Yuki, Asahina, and Kyon stopped Asakura and finished injecting the “everything back to not-so-normal timeline” code to that timeline’s temporarily “normal” Yuki. Then, I guess, future Yuki, Asahina, and Kyon return to their timeline, as well as adult Asahina.

There’s some speculation that Yuki alters everyone’s memories and so everyone thinks that Kyon fell down the stairs (which, they say, has happened the afternoon after the night/morning Kyon got stabbed).

If that’s right so far, there’s two “possiblities” I think.

1) Injured Kyon dies, Yuki alters everyone’s memories and brings him to hospital, and sleeping in bed at home Kyon somehow wakes with all memories of injured Kyon.

That sounds weird, though.

2) There is no Kyon sleeping in bed at home in this timeline. This Kyon started the emergency program, travelled through time half a year in the past, meets with adult Asahina et cetera and now IS injured Kyon. Injured Kyon is then healed by Yuki, Yuki alters everyone’s memories and brings him to hospital. (Kouzoumi says that he had this hospital room arranged through his institution, but Yuki called the ambulance.)

BUT still, what’s this super weird line that Haruhi thinks Kyon got pushed by someone whose skirt she thinks she saw? Kouzoumi says, Kyon was the last in line and they were the only/last people in the club building.
Sep 5, 2019 1:40 AM
May 2019
It appears to me that future
Kyon, Asahina and their daughter jump in and save him after he's been stabbed. That's what it looked like to me.
Jun 29, 2020 9:13 PM

Apr 2018
nomnomnori said:
After watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (in broadcast order) and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya … I’m not really sure I got the ending right.

The Kyon whom we are following from the beginning of the movie gets stabbed and loses lots of blood, maybe he’s close to dying. Shortly before getting stabbed, though, that very same Kyon says that at the very moment this timeline’s Kyon is lying in bed at home, sleeping.

Kyon, lying in his blood, sees adult Asahina who brought him here and young future Asahina both crying at his chest. Future Yuki stops Asakura from killing Kyon with another stab of her knife aimed towards his head. Before closing his eyes, future Kyon tells injured Kyon not to worry and to sleep, and that everything will be okay.

At this moment, it’s three Kyon’s in this timeline … one injured, one sleeping in bed at home, and one from the same future as young Asahina and Yuki.

The next scene, Kyon wakes up in hospital. One of the first things he does is touching/checking his left body side or hips/stomach where he was stabbed, his facial expression showing he feels or remembers pain. That moment, Koizoumi tells the story of how Kyon hit his head by falling down the stairs (maybe pushed by some girl whoms silhouette Haruhi think she’s seen???). Kyon reacts very surprised, touching/checking his head but not feeling any pain there. He’s also told he has no visible wounds on his body.

What did canonically happen and which Kyon from the three Kyon’s above do we see in hospital?

PS: I read all threads here and also quite lots in other places of the web, but …

So there is this future kyon that will save the kyon that was dying but how could have this started I mean there must be a timeline where Nagato didn't alter the space-time and the things are progressing as normal and this timelines's kyon goes back in time to save the one that was bleeding and this goes on forever and ever, right?

Jul 8, 2021 10:36 AM
Jan 2018
nomnomnori said:

That's the same thing I was thinking at the time, in theory there should be 3 kyons. I want to assume that the kyon that was stabbed died and his memories were overwritten with the kyon that was asleep that's why he is fine. And the memories of the fall of the brigade were created by yuki so that everything matches and there are no glitches in the timeline.
Jul 16, 2021 10:04 PM
Oct 2014
There are quite a few misconceptions in this thread, so rather than clearing them up one by one, I'll simply explain the right order of events.

During July 7, Kyon goes through the events of the Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody incident, where he and Asahina the Younger travel three years back. When they reach the past, Asahina the Elder comes out of hiding, puts Asahina the Younger to sleep and explains the details to Kyon. After he helps Haruhi in her shenanigans, he returns to the park to find Asahina the Younger, and they go to Nagato's apartment so she can freeze time in her guest room for three years with them inside.

When time is unfrozen in Nagato's guest room, Kyon and Asahina the Younger are back to the present year of the story, and the SOS Brigade continues their activities for a few months.

On December 18, Nagato rewrites the world so things are different from that point on. A few days later, Kyon runs Nagato's program and it takes him to July three years earlier, where he had been during Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody. Indeed he's able to witness his earlier self at the park, as well as Asahina the Younger and Asahina the Elder, just as he remembers it.

Now, here we have two Kyons. From the perspective of the protagonist of the movie, the Kyon at the park is an earlier version of himself, as our movie protagonist already went through the events of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody. Past Kyon will go help Haruhi, return to the park, and go to Nagato's apartment, where he will be frozen in time. Meanwhile, Current Kyon intercepts Asahina the Elder when she's alone, and they discuss the events he just experienced in December of the year he belongs to.

After a while, once Past Kyon and Asahina the Younger have already arrived at Nagato's apartment and been frozen in time in the guest room, Current Kyon and Asahina the Elder go to her apartment as well. They discuss the alteration of reality that takes place on December 18 of the year Kyon's from and how to deal with it. Afterward, Kyon and Asahina the Elder travel to December 18 three years later, or back to the time Kyon came from.

Since Past Kyon and Asahina the Younger were unfrozen in July of the year they're from, and Current Kyon and Asahina the Elder travel to December of that year, by the time the confrontation with Nagato happens as she's altering the world, there's only one Kyon.

This Kyon is stabbed, and a future Kyon alongside the Asahina the Younger from that time come to help, but when they're done they return to the future, so we're left back with a single Kyon. Nagato, now back to normal, reverts the changes she had made to reality and gives people fake memories to justify Kyon being in the hospital in a non-supernatural way.

In other words,
Kyon travels to July-3 in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and is frozen in time to return to July 0 -> A few months later in December-0, Kyon again travels to July-3 and back to December-0 -> Everything returns to normal and Kyon just spends a few days unconscious

There are only ever two Kyons at the same time: first in July-3, when his earlier self gets frozen in time and his current self discusses how to return Nagato to normal in the time he's from; and then when his current self gets stabbed in December-0, and a future one comes to aid. Nobody dies either, but simply you're seeing the story of Kyon in December months after he was unfrozen.

(If you want to know more about the whole deal with Future Kyon, you can read the novels; he travels back to December to help himself in the seventh volume.)
Kyon_Kun_DenwaJul 16, 2021 10:17 PM
Jul 21, 2021 5:27 PM
Jan 2018
Kyon_Kun_Denwa said:
There are quite a few misconceptions in this thread, so rather than clearing them up one by one, I'll simply explain the right order of events.

During July 7, Kyon goes through the events of the Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody incident, where he and Asahina the Younger travel three years back. When they reach the past, Asahina the Elder comes out of hiding, puts Asahina the Younger to sleep and explains the details to Kyon. After he helps Haruhi in her shenanigans, he returns to the park to find Asahina the Younger, and they go to Nagato's apartment so she can freeze time in her guest room for three years with them inside.

When time is unfrozen in Nagato's guest room, Kyon and Asahina the Younger are back to the present year of the story, and the SOS Brigade continues their activities for a few months.

On December 18, Nagato rewrites the world so things are different from that point on. A few days later, Kyon runs Nagato's program and it takes him to July three years earlier, where he had been during Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody. Indeed he's able to witness his earlier self at the park, as well as Asahina the Younger and Asahina the Elder, just as he remembers it.

Now, here we have two Kyons. From the perspective of the protagonist of the movie, the Kyon at the park is an earlier version of himself, as our movie protagonist already went through the events of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody. Past Kyon will go help Haruhi, return to the park, and go to Nagato's apartment, where he will be frozen in time. Meanwhile, Current Kyon intercepts Asahina the Elder when she's alone, and they discuss the events he just experienced in December of the year he belongs to.

After a while, once Past Kyon and Asahina the Younger have already arrived at Nagato's apartment and been frozen in time in the guest room, Current Kyon and Asahina the Elder go to her apartment as well. They discuss the alteration of reality that takes place on December 18 of the year Kyon's from and how to deal with it. Afterward, Kyon and Asahina the Elder travel to December 18 three years later, or back to the time Kyon came from.

Since Past Kyon and Asahina the Younger were unfrozen in July of the year they're from, and Current Kyon and Asahina the Elder travel to December of that year, by the time the confrontation with Nagato happens as she's altering the world, there's only one Kyon.

This Kyon is stabbed, and a future Kyon alongside the Asahina the Younger from that time come to help, but when they're done they return to the future, so we're left back with a single Kyon. Nagato, now back to normal, reverts the changes she had made to reality and gives people fake memories to justify Kyon being in the hospital in a non-supernatural way.

In other words,
Kyon travels to July-3 in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and is frozen in time to return to July 0 -> A few months later in December-0, Kyon again travels to July-3 and back to December-0 -> Everything returns to normal and Kyon just spends a few days unconscious

There are only ever two Kyons at the same time: first in July-3, when his earlier self gets frozen in time and his current self discusses how to return Nagato to normal in the time he's from; and then when his current self gets stabbed in December-0, and a future one comes to aid. Nobody dies either, but simply you're seeing the story of Kyon in December months after he was unfrozen.

(If you want to know more about the whole deal with Future Kyon, you can read the novels; he travels back to December to help himself in the seventh volume.)

I am sorry but I think you have misunderstood the approach. When reference is made to the kyon being asleep it does not refer to the one on tanabata. It refers to the kyon that sleeps and wakes up on December 18 with the change of the world. Therefore the approach would be something like this
1-kyon (a) gets stabbed.
2-kyon (b) saves his other self and reverses the world change.
3-kyon (c) the sleeping kyon.

Kyon (b) returns to his timeline. Kyon (c) he sleep, who in theory should go through everything that Kyon (a) went through does not because that change never existed. Where did the kyon (a) go if since there was no world change, his timeline has ceased to exist. This is where I want to say that there are 2 kyons, A and C.
I hope that I have been able to understand a little better the igconite here posed.
Jul 23, 2021 12:21 PM
Jan 2018
because I don't know how to insert images in the forum, I don't know if you can see it, but this is a screenshot of the movie where it makes reference to that. there is a kyon sleeping in his house at that moment. The exact time is at about 2:00:56 of the movie.
YitzhakJul 23, 2021 12:28 PM
Jun 7, 2023 4:46 PM

Dec 2007
Yitzhak said:
Kyon_Kun_Denwa said:

In other words,

I am sorry but I think you have misunderstood the approach. When reference is made to the kyon being asleep it does not refer to the one on tanabata. It refers to the kyon that sleeps and wakes up on December 18 with the change of the world. Therefore the approach would be something like this
1-kyon (a) gets stabbed.
2-kyon (b) saves his other self and reverses the world change.
3-kyon (c) the sleeping kyon.

Kyon (b) returns to his timeline. Kyon (c) he sleep, who in theory should go through everything that Kyon (a) went through does not because that change never existed. Where did the kyon (a) go if since there was no world change, his timeline has ceased to exist. This is where I want to say that there are 2 kyons, A and C.
I hope that I have been able to understand a little better the igconite here posed.
i actually understood what your question is.
the problem with time travel is, once you make the kyon (c) appear in the normal world before the 18 of December , than that's means that, anything that happened on 18 December hasn't happened.

why?

nagato had been remade the whole world on 18 December, who stops it? the kyon (c) that is asleep at 18 December,
at 21 December he unlocks nagato's progrem to go back in time to 7 July three years ago, and then he's getting bleed, kyon (b) comes to save him for being dead.
in other worlds, if kyon (c) would awoke in the normal world AKA non-nagato-remade-world, than nothing here happened.
and that's you entire question - what happened to the kyon (c) that were asleep at 18 December?

the only conclusion there is, is that injecting the program yuki made in 7 July 3 years ago, made sure that "reversing" the world remaking, would made sure the timeline would be splitted rather than being remade.
in other words -
nagato remade the world. kyon (c) had been awaken, and did all the same things that kyon (a) had done.
but, this timeline got separated from the original timeline, and "got lost" after kyon (b) stabbed nagato.
from here on, the remade world would be existing only to make the original timeline would be exists.
kyon (c) were never stayed in the "new" timeline, but transferred to the new timeline nagato created, to complete the circle.
and by thus, kyon (c) doesn't exists in the new timeline.

that is why nagato is telling kyon to inject the correction to nagato in the future "after" the new timeline appear.
even before would okay, since it just to correct nagato's "errors" altogether with the timeline remaking.
and that is why nagato "after" the injection, went along with the future kyon to fix it all.
otherwise she would just remake the whole world again.
she had done it once, she could do it twice.
heck, nagato and mikuru said that she did it three times.

also, by the end of the movie, kyon said that he have a choice if to reverse his decision or not, since he needs to go back in time with mikuru again.
in other words, it's not that the alternate timeline hasn't completely shut off. but exists purely to make the circle completed.
but think about it this way - if kyon would choose to not going back and save himself, what would happen to the original timeline?
in that case, the whole thing would be reversed, it seems that kyon is sure that he won't come back to 18 december in that year, but the remade world will continue from where he choose not to save himself. and by that, of course kyon would be dying.
so that would be the serious more question - why he's so sure on that? why the time simply won't come back to 18 december, and then kyon (a) and (b) would just never exists, and he would have to go through all this again?

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Movie Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Feb 5, 2010

1000 by MorphoX »»
Mar 8, 6:34 AM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.