Forum Settings
Forums

About scoring system.. (and no it's not about decimal scores :P)

New
Mar 11, 2008 5:47 PM

Nov 2007
You know how the current scoring system is just users setting a single score for the series, however they want it?
I don't know how people decide scores, since they have different standards,
(one might score something high if he just liked it, and one might score it by the level of quality..)

So, just leaving the current scoring system (not change anything)
can you add another scoring system, based on separate aspects of the series?

like when you're submitting a review, you have separate score boxes for Animation, Story, Characters, Sound, Music, etc
So if we had the exact same thing in the "detailed" anime information
(where you have fansub, priority, storage, etc)
and apart from the overall general score, we could have another score averaged from specific aspects of the production.

and just let it be separate, not related to the current scoring system, just to make things easier.

I hope you get what I mean.

kimatg on | blog | pixiv | deviantART
Mar 11, 2008 6:20 PM

Sep 2007
Mar 11, 2008 6:51 PM

Feb 2008
I like that idea. *nods*
And maybe if the anime is dubbed, how good/bad the dub is. :D
Mar 11, 2008 7:37 PM

Nov 2007
I don't think it has anything to do with dubs though.
I'm just saying if we could additionally score series with specific technical aspects of it.

Mar 11, 2008 7:45 PM
Dec 2007
Hmmm, I was hoping there a list of your score v.s with average score. Wanna see how much the Anime is overrated/underrated it is compare to mine XD

It the deviation score isn't it? No idea what it suppose to mean
Mar 11, 2008 8:39 PM
Sep 2006
I can't say I like this idea, it's kinda like taking a simple and working factor into something complicated. I mean, if you wanted to rate a series on all those aspects, you can do it in your blog, make a review, or in your comments section when you score an anime overall.
Mar 11, 2008 9:05 PM

Nov 2007
Kanashimi said:
it's kinda like taking a simple and working factor into something complicated.

that's why I said it should be made a completely separate feature, in the detailed anime info page.

Of course, I do write reviews of anime i watche sometimes in my blog,
but most of the times you just want to "score" them by technical aspects and not take all that time to write in words.

Mar 12, 2008 3:20 AM

Jun 2007
Factoring in all the review scores together plus the amount of people that have favorited the show, and amount of people watching the show, and the rank they give the show would be interesting to see as well. Coming up with a second or new method of scoring a show that a user doesn't have complete control over would be ideal since people are voting horrible lately yet the show raked in thousands of viewers so its clearly not that bad if it managed that.
Mar 12, 2008 5:02 AM

Nov 2007
I was thinking it could look something like

this.

and then an average overall score from all the separate ratings would be nice.

Again, I'm suggesting this as an ADDITIONAL feature,
not a new scoring system that replaces the current one (which would kill Xinil and all other MALers because they would have to score all their list again).
zvucMay 16, 2010 6:00 AM

Mar 12, 2008 7:01 AM
May 2007
It sounds like good feature but, that score should just be shown if you press the "more" butten that all added animes have on the list.
I hope you understand what I mean, that when you check all the information that the user has set, fansubb group, dates, priority etc, and that you just add the feature there.
Mar 12, 2008 7:05 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
I don't understand the point of it. Why not just write a review and this information there? Perhaps a 'better' suggestion would be to utilize the review scores?
Mar 12, 2008 7:23 AM

Nov 2007
Because not everyone will want to take time to "write" the review.

I mean, if the scoring system was completely changed to one that takes the average of sub-scores as the overall score,
I would gladly take the new one instead of plain score.
but because that might be just too much work to implement, I thought it could be a separate feature.

so then we would have 2 scores, one just overall "I liked it or not" (or whatever the user's stardards are) score that we already have now
and the one from the new scoring system.

OR MAYBE, if it were to REPLACE the current single-score system, to prevent confusion, all the users' anime scores will be kept and all the sub-scores would be the same as that score.
... so for example
if I originally scored Lucky Star - 9 (Great) in the old scoring system,
the overall average score would still be kept as 9 (Great) after the score system change,
and all the sub-scores (Story, Art, Sound, Character, Enjoyment, and NOT overall) will be set as 9
(because if all the subscores are the same the average will be the same too)

And later if I want to clarify my score I could just go to the Anime List anime page and edit the sub-scores (which will give me a new overall score)

...hope anyone understand what I'm saying.
zvucMar 12, 2008 8:40 AM

Mar 12, 2008 8:19 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
There would need to be a lot of user support to justify this change/addition. I just don't see a point aside from 'hey...that might be neat.'
Mar 12, 2008 12:11 PM

Jun 2007
Xinil said:
I don't understand the point of it. Why not just write a review and this information there? Perhaps a 'better' suggestion would be to utilize the review scores?

Currently users vote crazy high ranks at the start of a show because they expect something to happen (ie. Main Character to go out with Girl_A). Then at the end when that something doesn't happen (ie. main character doesn't go out with Girl_A) they give the show a horrible rank even though the show overall grabbed their attention and may have had exquisite graphics and sound. As bad as it sounds, it's been happening a lot. Theres this whole "I hate the main character going out with childhood friend so I plan to give this show a shitty rank" movement going on. Which is really sad considering most of these shows have a crap load of people that watch them and are very active on the forms. This clearly shows that the show it's self grabbed their attention enough to keep watching it.

I would definitely go by the new ranking system if you factored in other things and not just user rating. Chances are, people that take the time to do reviews for a show are going to give a more accurate score then someone who's just picking a number from a drop down box. Not to mention this would persuade more people to do reviews...etc

Thats just my opinion on the subject.
Mar 18, 2008 6:39 PM

Nov 2007
agree to DeathfireD...

The overall score should be definitely given from actual technical factors.
it would be a more accurate description of how "well made" an anime is,
not like:
"OMG this characters is sooo moe... give it a 10
and WTF that guy is supposed to pair up with that girl at the end... but did not? give it a 3."
:P

Mar 18, 2008 7:44 PM

Nov 2007
I think that the detailed scoring system would be a lot of work for people who are just starting up their lists. If I had to fill out all of that information when I started here, I probably would have given up and left everything unscored.

As far as accuracy, it is in the eye of the beholder. I gave Kaiji a 10 because it is an awesome anime which gets you caught up in the suspense and leaves you begging for more - a masterpiece in my opinion. However, if I had to fill out a detailed score honestly, I'd have to give the art a 3 and the sound a 6, which will bring down the score to about a 7 if I scored everything else high. This means that I just demoted my "masterpiece" to "good."

On the flip side, if I were to score Cosprayers again, it would get a huge boost from the animation, so my "unwatchable" anime just got inflated to "very bad"

If anything were to change, I'd suggest making users select the score from the drop-down box instead of manually filling out the number so that they'd be forced to see what the meaning of each score is. I'm pretty sure the majority of people might be using traditional values (i.e. 10 = A, 9 = B, etc.) and are not aware of what the scores actually mean, resulting in inflated scores.
OrbiMar 18, 2008 7:48 PM

More topics from this board

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - 5 hours ago

0 by _cjessop19_ »»
5 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
5 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
Yesterday, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.