Forum Settings
Forums
The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 28, 2016 7:17 PM

Jan 2013
So, I don't know if anyone will ever answer these, but I might as well throw them out there on the off chance someone does. Thanks in advance.

1.) There's a discrepancy between what 'O' says and how Maria's box works. 'O' says that when Maria uses the Flawed Bliss it isn't really sucking people into the box, that's just how she perceives it due to her losing her memory of them. However, volume 7 is all about Kazuki literally getting sucked into the box though, and Daiya, as well as Yanaga are present in their own happy worlds. She uses the box on Daiya and he disappears, but then he's alive and in the hospital. So, do people only disappear from her perspective, I don't understand that. Maybe none of the other people inside the box were real except for Kazuki and the zeroth Maria? Is there something I'm missing or does it not make a whole lot of sense?

2.) How is Maria perfectly fine with Kazuki murdering a f*** ton of people? She can't even hurt anyone, let alone actually kill them. She's vehemently opposed to murder, and unlike Kazuki, she never really changes throughout the series. I don't even think it matters that the dream world Kazuki is in isn't real, that has never mattered to her before, she still views that as murder. It just seems like a huge stretch for me to believe that she has zero negative reactions to Kazuki murdering his entire class, and then going out into the streets and just killing everyone. Even if she feels completely responsible, and it's heart breaking to watch, I think she couldn't help but feel somewhat repulsed. I wanted some acknowledgement of it, and maybe her mind would change when she sees him pounding on the walls of her apartment, and screaming her name for an eternity, just a thought.

3.) I'm still not exactly sure what the deal was with Maria and Aya. Was everything we saw about Aya just a lie, that she made her father bow down to her at 3, that she seduced her teacher and he tried to break in, that she let her friend start a fire, that Maria thinks Aya can see the future. Or, was the only thing that was a lie, that Aya never intended to die, that she was just going to move to New York? Maria says something about how she had to deify Aya because otherwise it meant that Aya never really needed her. That seems to support the fact that Maria was tricking herself, and I think that goes along with her losing her memories when she uses the Flawed Bliss. I'm just not 100% on whether she had any good reason to believe it was her destiny to become Aya or if she was always delusional.

If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Sep 29, 2016 3:54 PM

Aug 2013
LostSpectre said:
So, I don't know if anyone will ever answer these, but I might as well throw them out there on the off chance someone does. Thanks in advance.

1.) There's a discrepancy between what 'O' says and how Maria's box works. 'O' says that when Maria uses the Flawed Bliss it isn't really sucking people into the box, that's just how she perceives it due to her losing her memory of them. However, volume 7 is all about Kazuki literally getting sucked into the box though, and Daiya, as well as Yanaga are present in their own happy worlds. She uses the box on Daiya and he disappears, but then he's alive and in the hospital. So, do people only disappear from her perspective, I don't understand that. Maybe none of the other people inside the box were real except for Kazuki and the zeroth Maria? Is there something I'm missing or does it not make a whole lot of sense?

2.) How is Maria perfectly fine with Kazuki murdering a f*** ton of people? She can't even hurt anyone, let alone actually kill them. She's vehemently opposed to murder, and unlike Kazuki, she never really changes throughout the series. I don't even think it matters that the dream world Kazuki is in isn't real, that has never mattered to her before, she still views that as murder. It just seems like a huge stretch for me to believe that she has zero negative reactions to Kazuki murdering his entire class, and then going out into the streets and just killing everyone. Even if she feels completely responsible, and it's heart breaking to watch, I think she couldn't help but feel somewhat repulsed. I wanted some acknowledgement of it, and maybe her mind would change when she sees him pounding on the walls of her apartment, and screaming her name for an eternity, just a thought.

3.) I'm still not exactly sure what the deal was with Maria and Aya. Was everything we saw about Aya just a lie, that she made her father bow down to her at 3, that she seduced her teacher and he tried to break in, that she let her friend start a fire, that Maria thinks Aya can see the future. Or, was the only thing that was a lie, that Aya never intended to die, that she was just going to move to New York? Maria says something about how she had to deify Aya because otherwise it meant that Aya never really needed her. That seems to support the fact that Maria was tricking herself, and I think that goes along with her losing her memories when she uses the Flawed Bliss. I'm just not 100% on whether she had any good reason to believe it was her destiny to become Aya or if she was always delusional.

1. I believe that O didn't explain how the box really worked that well, after all the box created O in the first place, but in my opinion it might have been inside of her or another dimension/world reality thing altogether. Also I think the people did disappear however once the box was destroyed it returned everyone in a convinent way (Maybe she either didn't notice them as you said, or they were actually gone, but there were false memories implanted into everyone,mentioned somewhere near the end of volume 7, so it seemed like nothing happened even though there was a time gap between when maria lost her memories and when she went inside her box to get kasumi).

2. I think it's a few reasons, one being that it was a false world in a sense, two it showed that he didnt want to live in this perfect world for him despite it being the box's purpose to grant that, and three, it showed kasumi's extent of love for her to the point in which he's gone mad. Psychological shiz is tough to comprehend when you're not the character :P

3. I believe it was true in some parts, however due to her sister's intelligence and "power" she ended up thinking of her way more than she actually was, thus leading to some false memories in order to fulfill her sisters "prophecy" in what she thought she was suppose to. In essence, yes, she became like that due to some serious delusions.
Isekai Expert (unironically).
8+ years of isekai experience and recommendations here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGmpQS73JGs
Sep 29, 2016 6:51 PM

Jan 2013
Somebody101 said:

1. I believe that O didn't explain how the box really worked that well, after all the box created O in the first place, but in my opinion it might have been inside of her or another dimension/world reality thing altogether. Also I think the people did disappear however once the box was destroyed it returned everyone in a convinent way (Maybe she either didn't notice them as you said, or they were actually gone, but there were false memories implanted into everyone,mentioned somewhere near the end of volume 7, so it seemed like nothing happened even though there was a time gap between when maria lost her memories and when she went inside her box to get kasumi).

2. I think it's a few reasons, one being that it was a false world in a sense, two it showed that he didnt want to live in this perfect world for him despite it being the box's purpose to grant that, and three, it showed kasumi's extent of love for her to the point in which he's gone mad. Psychological shiz is tough to comprehend when you're not the character :P

3. I believe it was true in some parts, however due to her sister's intelligence and "power" she ended up thinking of her way more than she actually was, thus leading to some false memories in order to fulfill her sisters "prophecy" in what she thought she was suppose to. In essence, yes, she became like that due to some serious delusions.

1.) I agree, O's explanation couldn't have been right, but she has never really lied to Kazuki before, so it seemed strange. So it was either just vague or intentionally misleading. I also thought that maybe all of the people inside the box were real and then set free once Kazuki corrupted it, but that explanation seems to be a stretch when Daiya was found right away and rushed to the hospital. However, Yanagi was there in the epilogue and O said that she was still alive inside the box around Vol. 4. I think I recall the false memories as well, but anyway, this one is probably going to remain ambiguous.

2.) Personally I don't think it's that hard to comprehend. How it was portrayed would seriously go against Maria's strict stance on not killing. She couldn't hurt a fly, or should I say a spider, as we saw in the flashbacks. Just look at how she reacts when Kazuki tries to kill Iroha, even when she threatened to have Maria raped it made no difference to her. Kazuki killing to protect her is still a horrible thing to do in her eyes. She has a very childish and extremely naive view on the subject. It's completely unbelievable that she had no reaction to the murders when she was watching Kazuki.

3.) Yeah, I might have to re-read that whole section and see if there are any clues as to what is true and what Maria made up, I definitely couldn't tell the first time around. I agree that I think it was sort of half and half, where she believed in her sister's prophecy, but also knew that she was lying to herself. Kazuki becoming the empty box and her savior are due to her underlying doubt in truly becoming Aya. The part of her that is still alive inside the box knows that becoming Aya is all a lie.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, figured I would write back so as not to be rude. I was confused for a second on your first reply and then I realized you were accidentally calling Kazuki Kasumi. lol
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Sep 29, 2016 10:01 PM

Feb 2008
1. I guess it might be "locked into that sea world directly" (image) vs. "put into little worlds in her box" (reality).

2. This story basically happened but is told how she perceived it with her strong misconceptions.

3. Maybe because she was to blame for it? It was her fault that he lost it and she realized that. IIRC it was described that she suffered when she had to watch him turn into a murder machine because of her. She also said she would "atone" by looking after him for the rest of her life and making him a normal person again.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Volume 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TheHollowShrine - Jul 7, 2015

253 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 26, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Volume 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RadiGen - Sep 3, 2013

79 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 24, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Volume 5 Discussion

RadiGen - Sep 3, 2013

37 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 23, 8:16 AM

» The missing volumes

Perfectrockstar - Jul 4, 2021

4 by EmrysTatari »»
Feb 8, 1:36 PM

» Anime Adaptation possibility?

DarkHumor04 - Jan 11, 2022

14 by Hikool101 »»
Nov 20, 2023 9:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.