Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 11, 2016 1:30 PM

Oct 2015
I enjoyed the film alot but I'm struggling to wrap my head around the timeline stuff.

From what I understand there's a scene where Mitsuha is saying: "Taki is a boy my age living in Tokyo"
Now the bodyswapping shenanigans happen to her ~3 years before Taki experiences his.

I understand that when Taki is bodyswapping he's going back 3 years into the past.

Does that mean Mitsuha is 3 years older than Taki? Since she's swapping bodies with him at the time he starts experiencing it himself 3 years after the comet crashes.

What confuses me is that she goes to meet him before he knows her. And they seem to be the same age?(or are they?) And it's not until 3 years later that Taki has the bodyswapping experience. And if she's saying "Taki is a boy my age living in Tokyo" as they swap back and forth interacting with each other's life. And if Taki is going back in time, isn't Mitsuha travelling forward 3 years in time? I'm just wondering because she's saying they're the same age but if she's swapping with the Taki ~3 years after the comet that would make her 3 years older surely since she's travelling into the future aswell as him travelling back 3 years.

When Mitsuha went to visit Taki (and met in the train), wasn't Taki 3 years younger at that time?

I might be missing something and I'm just overthinking this in my head, but if there's someone that can explain it to me and have it make sense I'd appreciate it.

HiattSep 11, 2016 4:06 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 11, 2016 2:54 PM

Jul 2016
Okay I think I can explain this to you but if anything is confusing don't be afraid to call me out on it. Let's start with this, Taki three years in the future is older than the Mitsuha three years in the past, but when Mitsuha went to go see Taki they were both the same age. Future Taki is 3 years older than Mitsuha.
Sep 11, 2016 5:46 PM

Feb 2016
Hiatt said:
I enjoyed the film alot but I'm struggling to wrap my head around the timeline stuff.

From what I understand there's a scene where Mitsuha is saying: "Taki is a boy my age living in Tokyo"
Now the bodyswapping shenanigans happen to her ~3 years before Taki experiences his.

I understand that when Taki is bodyswapping he's going back 3 years into the past.

Does that mean Mitsuha is 3 years older than Taki? Since she's swapping bodies with him at the time he starts experiencing it himself 3 years after the comet crashes.

What confuses me is that she goes to meet him before he knows her. And they seem to be the same age? And it's not until 3 years later that Taki has the bodyswapping experience. And if she's saying "Taki is a boy my age living in Tokyo" as they swap back and forth interacting with each other's life. And if Taki is going back in time, isn't Mitsuha travelling forward 3 years in time? I'm just wondering because she's saying they're the same age but if she's swapping with the Taki ~3 years after the comet that would make her 3 years older surely since she's travelling into the future aswell as him travelling back 3 years.

When Mitsuha went to visit Taki, wasn't Taki 3 years younger at that time?

I might be missing something and I'm just overthinking this in my head, but if there's someone that can explain it to me and have it make sense I'd appreciate it.

Prepare to probably be somewhat confused while reading. It's normal, but don't worry, I was also confused while putting the piece together with the timeline. (Side Note: This took me about 2 hours to research, type, and add in information for this question.)
The following contains spoilers and some information that was taken into context from the movie, and online.

That's all pretty much what I theorized, while keeping some information about the movie, and real life concepts in mind. If you feel that there's a mistake, or something wrong about my claim, feel free to call me out about it. :)

-FuryTomic
FuryTomicSep 11, 2016 6:00 PM
YouTube Channel

-Translator, Small YouTuber. I'm just a weeb like everyone else

Sep 11, 2016 7:21 PM
Sep 2016
FuryTomic said:
Hiatt said:

What confuses me is that she goes to meet him before he knows her. And they seem to be the same age? And it's not until 3 years later that Taki has the bodyswapping experience. And if she's saying "Taki is a boy my age living in Tokyo" as they swap back and forth interacting with each other's life. And if Taki is going back in time, isn't Mitsuha travelling forward 3 years in time? I'm just wondering because she's saying they're the same age but if she's swapping with the Taki ~3 years after the comet that would make her 3 years older surely since she's travelling into the future aswell as him travelling back 3 years.

Prepare to probably be somewhat confused while reading. It's normal, but don't worry, I was also confused while putting the piece together with the timeline. (Side Note: This took me about 2 hours to research, type, and add in information for this question.)
The following contains spoilers and some information that was taken into context from the movie, and online.

That's all pretty much what I theorized, while keeping some information about the movie, and real life concepts in mind. If you feel that there's a mistake, or something wrong about my claim, feel free to call me out about it. :)

-FuryTomic

And there one point in that opening song where mitsuha is a bit taller than taki. Just wanna point that out as maybe It can support your theory a bit.
Sep 11, 2016 7:23 PM

Feb 2016
Shadowguy77 said:
FuryTomic said:

-FuryTomic

And there one point in that opening song where mitsuha is a bit taller than taki. Just wanna point that out as maybe It can support your theory a bit.

I don't think height matters here. You could be older, but shorter. Or younger, but ginormous. It's mostly the grade year and age :)
YouTube Channel

Sep 12, 2016 6:29 AM

Jul 2016
FuryTomic said:
Hiatt said:

-FuryTomic

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't notice the age of Mitsuha when Taki was looking at the logs of the people who died in the village so that basically threw off my whole assessment on the situation. I pretty much assumed that they were the same age which I think most people will do, I like know that they aren't the same age more though. This goes to show I need to watch this movie a second time. Thanks!
Sep 12, 2016 6:38 AM

Feb 2016
Zussolini said:
FuryTomic said:

-FuryTomic

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't notice the age of Mitsuha when Taki was looking at the logs of the people who died in the village so that basically threw off my whole assessment on the situation. I pretty much assumed that they were the same age which I think most people will do, I like know that they aren't the same age more though. This goes to show I need to watch this movie a second time. Thanks!

No worries man! But I thought of something else just earlier that could be the movie's interpretation regarding (or regardless of their age)
(This was also thought of after reading a comment posted by TheKillerAngel)

As I stated, who knows really, but there's a lot of theories that we can come up with about this story, age, and so forth. However, if the Musubi part was Makoto's ideal thinking, then I guess that could be it. :)
YouTube Channel

Sep 12, 2016 6:48 AM

Jul 2016
FuryTomic said:
Zussolini said:

No worries man! But I thought of something else just earlier that could be the movie's interpretation regarding (or regardless of their age)

As I stated, who knows really, but there's a lot of theories that we can come up with about this story, age, and so forth. However, if the Musubi part was Makoto's ideal thinking, then I guess that could be it. :)

Sep 12, 2016 6:57 AM

Feb 2016
Zussolini said:
FuryTomic said:

To be honest, I never thought of anything like this until the OP asked this question, which made me realize that there were some flaws and gaps the movie has. I would make a video on this. But I might use the light novel and scan some pages myself for now.
FuryTomicSep 16, 2016 5:52 PM
YouTube Channel

Sep 12, 2016 7:02 AM

Jul 2016
FuryTomic said:
Zussolini said:

To be honest, I never thought of anything like this until the OP asked this question, which made me realize that there were some flaws and gaps the movie has. I would make a video on this, but I feel like I would need some of the scenes to help prove my claim. (As you probably might have seen the rip of the movie, it's a screener, and they pretty much prohibit redistribution, or use of scenes.) I wonder if screenshots still count against you.. Maybe.. But I might use the light novel and scan some pages myself just to be safe for now.

Sounds good, you should post your video once it's made here or if you're kind enough send it to me directly xP . I would love to see, lot of thing I am sure I am missing in this movie.
Sep 12, 2016 8:22 AM

Sep 2015
FuryTomic said:
Hiatt said:

-FuryTomic

I thought about this for a very long time too and came to the conclusion that Mitsuha is 3 years older than Taki as well. But why does MAL state that Taki is 3 years older according to their character information? :O
Sep 12, 2016 9:36 AM

Feb 2016
XyriaLight said:
FuryTomic said:

-FuryTomic

I thought about this for a very long time too and came to the conclusion that Mitsuha is 3 years older than Taki as well. But why does MAL state that Taki is 3 years older according to their character information? :O

There are a few possibilities:
1- The Subbed Movie we saw could have some mistranslations, meaning some sentences were misinterpreted, (Human Error) or used in Google Translate.
2- MAL information can be edited like Wikipedia. Anyone can change information. Maybe someone must have edited it before hand.
3- We all misinterpreted (including me) our theories, and don't fully understand the information and message Makoto Shinkai tried to convince us in Kimi No Na Wa. (But I do know that Makoto was trying to convey the message of Musubi to us viewers.)
I can try to ask some friends on mine in Japan and see if they both watched the movie, and understood the message, or information that was given.
YouTube Channel

Sep 12, 2016 12:41 PM
Nov 2014

@FuryTomic.........
( I guess that should explain.)
joy5Sep 12, 2016 12:56 PM
Sep 12, 2016 2:24 PM

Feb 2016
joy5 said:

@FuryTomic.........
joy5 said:

@FuryTomic.........

i'm quite curious about this diagram. At the same time, I'm somewhat lost. Is this building upon the claim I built? Or is this supposively something different? :/
YouTube Channel

Sep 12, 2016 2:35 PM
Nov 2014
Well not sure about your claim, but guess I'm not seeing Mitsuha older than Taki in any way. Well, that's what I concluded.
And about their ages in MAL character info, the 3-year gap b/w their age is because they are the protagonist in their respective time period.
Those are the ages of the "characters" that we saw in the movie.
It's pretty easy for me to understand, I'm not sure what is actually confusing you.
And I'm not sure, whether my explanation is going to help you or not.
That's All from my side :)
CIAO..
joy5Sep 12, 2016 2:50 PM
Sep 12, 2016 3:54 PM

Sep 2015
FuryTomic said:
XyriaLight said:

1- The Subbed Movie we saw could have some mistranslations, meaning some sentences were misinterpreted, (Human Error) or used in Google Translate.
2- MAL information can be edited like Wikipedia. Anyone can change information. Maybe someone must have edited it before hand.
3- We all misinterpreted (including me) our theories, and don't fully understand the information and message Makoto Shinkai tried to convince us in Kimi No Na Wa. (But I do know that Makoto was trying to convey the message of Musubi to us viewers.)
I can try to ask some friends on mine in Japan and see if they both watched the movie, and understood the message, or information that was given.

Any idea when did Mitsuha actually say that she's of the same age as Taki? Also do you mind explaining what Musubi meant? I didn't really understand and hence can't really catch Makoto's message from this movie :( Thanks!
Sep 12, 2016 4:17 PM

Feb 2016
XyriaLight said:
FuryTomic said:

Any idea when did Mitsuha actually say that she's of the same age as Taki? Also do you mind explaining what Musubi meant? I didn't really understand and hence can't really catch Makoto's message from this movie :( Thanks!

No worries! I'll try to help explain it.
Mitsuha said that she's the same age as Taki when Zen Zen Zen Zense played. That was pretty much around the start and introduction of the movie. Musubi was actually well explained during the scene where Mitsuha's Grandmother was explaining about Musubi. I think it was around before they decided to go up the mountain and offered Kuchikamesake at the small shrine. In short, Musubi is like the flow of time. This is also where bonds, knots come together. It may split off, but it will also find its back together again. It is also one of the core concepts in Shinto that is refered to the power of creation, spirit of birth, and becoming.
But it was also explained in an interview with Makoto Shinkai. I need to pull up the link again when I get the chance to search for the interview with him.
FuryTomicSep 12, 2016 4:23 PM
YouTube Channel

Sep 12, 2016 4:22 PM

Feb 2016
joy5 said:
Well not sure about your claim, but guess I'm not seeing Mitsuha older than Taki in any way. Well, that's what I concluded.
And about their ages in MAL character info, the 3-year gap b/w their age is because they are the protagonist in their respective time period.
Those are the ages of the "characters" that we saw in the movie.
It's pretty easy for me to understand, I'm not sure what is actually confusing you.
And I'm not sure, whether my explanation is going to help you or not.
That's All from my side :)
CIAO..

It was worded a little differently that sounded like it was talking about this and that and so forth. But I do understand a bit more of what you are talking about now. It was just a matter of explanation so it makes sense. Don't worry, I'm not calling you out on that. I was rather curious about what you interpreted it as.
YouTube Channel

Sep 12, 2016 11:27 PM

Sep 2015
FuryTomic said:
XyriaLight said:

Mitsuha said that she's the same age as Taki when Zen Zen Zen Zense played. That was pretty much around the start and introduction of the movie. Musubi was actually well explained during the scene where Mitsuha's Grandmother was explaining about Musubi. I think it was around before they decided to go up the mountain and offered Kuchikamesake at the small shrine. In short, Musubi is like the flow of time. This is also where bonds, knots come together. It may split off, but it will also find its back together again. It is also one of the core concepts in Shinto that is refered to the power of creation, spirit of birth, and becoming.
But it was also explained in an interview with Makoto Shinkai. I need to pull up the link again when I get the chance to search for the interview with him.

I see, thanks for explaining!
Sep 13, 2016 5:33 PM

Feb 2016
XyriaLight said:
FuryTomic said:

No Problem! And about the link, I found it.. But I realized, "Wait I was dumb. This wasn't an interview. It's the actual definition of Musubi along with other Shinto Terms." So sorry for a misleading info.

Here, Musubi (Basic Shinto Terms) Musubi is listed at the bottom of the page.
YouTube Channel

Sep 14, 2016 12:28 AM

Sep 2015
FuryTomic said:
XyriaLight said:

No Problem! And about the link, I found it.. But I realized, "Wait I was dumb. This wasn't an interview. It's the actual definition of Musubi along with other Shinto Terms." So sorry for a misleading info.

It's fine xD Thanks for the link!
Sep 20, 2016 1:12 PM
Jun 2013
FuryTomic said:
XyriaLight said:

could you explain the relationship between Musubi and time itself? I understand that Musubi means knotting but not sure about it being related to time
Sep 21, 2016 12:17 AM

Feb 2016
Kuuhaku-Tan said:
FuryTomic said:

could you explain the relationship between Musubi and time itself? I understand that Musubi means knotting but not sure about it being related to time

Sure thing! (I'm in a bit rush atm, so I might come back on later and edit some chunks out. But here is the somewhat main idea)
If you have watch the particular scene where the Grandmother explains about Musubi, she also mentioned that the flow of time is also Musubi.
As Musubi also means, "The spirit of birth and becoming. Birth, accomplishment, combination. The creating and harmonizing powers," I can probably relate to it as flow of time since you know, birth, or the start. It takes time from birth to start being developed, and into something of an accomplishment. With that, you can also get a combination of more or different starts. Better yet, you might have powers be created and harmonized to others or benefit the entire world. (Expect to see some references back to Musubi while reading the 'spoiler' included. That is trying to help provide reasoning towards the question)

If there's something a bit confusing, I'll edit this again soon, which should clarify some points that I quickly typed for now.
YouTube Channel

Sep 21, 2016 12:26 AM

May 2015
it's called a plothole, get over it
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Sep 21, 2016 8:19 AM

Feb 2016
Malarkey said:
it's called a plothole, get over it

It was already answered for a while, and the OP acknowledged it last week.
The remaining topic thread is just replies back and forth between Musubi and other things. :/
YouTube Channel

Sep 21, 2016 8:54 PM
Aug 2015
FuryTomic said:
Hiatt said:

-FuryTomic

the first time that i saw the movie i was super confused so i decided to see it again, and after watching it for the second time i was thinking like you, but then i realized that in the movie Taki did not use the little rope that mitsuha gave him 3 years before, and he only use it when he goes to the date with Okudera senpai, and anyways they used the cellphone all the time, how they did not notice the date?, i´m super confused right now.

sorry for my horrible english, it is not my native lenguage
Sep 21, 2016 9:10 PM

Feb 2016
iTzQueso said:
FuryTomic said:

-FuryTomic

the first time that i saw the movie i was super confused so i decided to see it again, and after watching it for the second time i was thinking like you, but then i realized that in the movie Taki did not use the little rope that mitsuha gave him 3 years before, and he only use it when he goes to the date with Okudera senpai, and anyways they used the cellphone all the time, how they did not notice the date?, i´m super confused right now.

No Worries! I completely understand when english is not a person's native language. Hopefully my sentences and word choices aren't hard for you to understand.

Them not knowing the date on the phone is out and beyond what from what I know. Sorry. (It's like what malarkey said, a plothole)

The rope (or the braided cord) was what Mitsuha gave Taki for him to return to Mitsuha when they met up again. It's like a reminder that Taki has to return the rope to the girl he met on the train. In that case, it would be when Mitsuha and Taki met on the mountain. Taki brought it along knowing that he would meet her, and then return the braided cord back to Mitsuha.
YouTube Channel

Sep 22, 2016 4:33 AM
Aug 2015
FuryTomic said:
iTzQueso said:

No Worries! I completely understand when english is not a person's native language. Hopefully my sentences and word choices aren't hard for you to understand.

Them not knowing the date on the phone is out and beyond what from what I know. Sorry. (It's like what malarkey said, a plothole)

The rope (or the braided cord) was what Mitsuha gave Taki for him to return to Mitsuha when they met up again. It's like a reminder that Taki has to return the rope to the girl he met on the train. In that case, it would be when Mitsuha and Taki met on the mountain. Taki brought it along knowing that he would meet her, and then return the braided cord back to Mitsuha.

Then Taki had all the time the braided cord but just never used it until the date with okudera, it have to be like that because otherwise Mitsuha would notice that he had the same braided cord, in that way it makes a little sense, thank you :)
Sep 22, 2016 4:13 PM
Jun 2013
FuryTomic said:
Kuuhaku-Tan said:

Sure thing! (I'm in a bit rush atm, so I might come back on later and edit some chunks out. But here is the somewhat main idea)
If you have watch the particular scene where the Grandmother explains about Musubi, she also mentioned that the flow of time is also Musubi.
As Musubi also means, "The spirit of birth and becoming. Birth, accomplishment, combination. The creating and harmonizing powers," I can probably relate to it as flow of time since you know, birth, or the start. It takes time from birth to start being developed, and into something of an accomplishment. With that, you can also get a combination of more or different starts. Better yet, you might have powers be created and harmonized to others or benefit the entire world. (Expect to see some references back to Musubi while reading the 'spoiler' included. That is trying to help provide reasoning towards the question)

If there's something a bit confusing, I'll edit this again soon, which should clarify some points that I quickly typed for now.

Thanks! kinda got it now. The braided cords represent time as the grandmother mentioned too and the braided cord is basically two or more (I guess) knotted threads which is Musubi.
Sep 24, 2016 3:35 PM

Feb 2016
Kuuhaku-Tan said:
FuryTomic said:

Thanks! kinda got it now. The braided cords represent time as the grandmother mentioned too and the braided cord is basically two or more (I guess) knotted threads which is Musubi.

Pretty much :)
And that's what I suspect that Makoto Shinkai was trying to do for this movie. Represent Musubi throughout the movie.
YouTube Channel

Sep 25, 2016 10:14 PM
Aug 2016
Since this topic was discussing time and such, I had one other relevant question concerning time in the movie.

The reason I was so surprised with the revelation that they were 3 years apart is because I don't recall them realizing the dates were different.
Not only should they have realized it's a different year (writing dates on school assignments, writing diary entries), but even more obvious is that they should have realized it's a different day.

For example, let's say Mitsuha goes to bed October 1st 2013, and swaps bodies with Taki when she wakes up on October 2nd 2016. October 1st 2013 is a Tuesday, but October 2nd 2016 is a Thursday. However according to her it should be a Wednesday. This would set off alarms, no? Especially with the phone diaries, work schedules, school, etc.

I don't know if I missed something or if this is genuinely a plot hole. Let me know what you guys think.
Sep 25, 2016 10:25 PM

Feb 2016
OrganizationIsKi said:
Since this topic was discussing time and such, I had one other relevant question concerning time in the movie.

The reason I was so surprised with the revelation that they were 3 years apart is because I don't recall them realizing the dates were different.
Not only should they have realized it's a different year (writing dates on school assignments, writing diary entries), but even more obvious is that they should have realized it's a different day.

For example, let's say Mitsuha goes to bed October 1st 2013, and swaps bodies with Taki when she wakes up on October 2nd 2016. October 1st 2013 is a Tuesday, but October 2nd 2016 is a Thursday. However according to her it should be a Wednesday. This would set off alarms, no? Especially with the phone diaries, work schedules, school, etc.

I don't know if I missed something or if this is genuinely a plot hole. Let me know what you guys think.

Some of us believe it might have been a plot hole, or the inconvenience that it was forgotten by the script writer/during production. It might have been done on purpose though...
YouTube Channel

Sep 25, 2016 11:25 PM
Aug 2016
FuryTomic said:
OrganizationIsKi said:

Some of us believe it might have been a plot hole, or the inconvenience that it was forgotten by the script writer/during production. It might have been done on purpose though...

Awh that's a shame. To be fair, I didn't notice until I thought about it after the movie was over. Initially I was so shocked that it didn't even register.
One possible explanation could be the concept that in dreams we're often disoriented and take things for granted. For example I graduated high school many years ago, but I still have dreams that there's a test today and I didn't study at all. Yet I don't stop and think, "But I've graduated?"

While what was occurring wasn't necessarily a 'dream' like they initially thought ( as they were influencing each others lives), the phenomena was definitely depicted as dream-like. This could cause the characters to act a similar way to me in my test dreams and become disoriented or take things for granted. This dream aspect being hammered in at the start might have been why I glanced over the issue while watching, but it would have been nice for it to be addressed. Though I guess you can say it would've reduced the impact of the twist.

Though there's still the not unlikely possibility that it was a plot hole.
OrganizationIsKiSep 25, 2016 11:30 PM
Sep 25, 2016 11:34 PM

Feb 2016
OrganizationIsKi said:
FuryTomic said:

Awh that's a shame. To be fair, I didn't notice until I thought about it after the movie was over. Initially I was so shocked that it didn't even register.
One possible explanation could be the concept that in dreams we're often disoriented and take things for granted. For example I graduated high school many years ago, but I still have dreams that there's a test today and I didn't study at all. Yet I don't stop and think, "But I've graduated?"

While what was occurring wasn't necessarily a 'dream' like they initially thought ( as they were influencing each others lives), the phenomena was definitely depicted as dream-like. This could cause the characters to act a similar way to me in my test dreams and become disoriented or take things for granted. This dream aspect being hammered in at the start might have been why I glanced over the issue while watching, but it would have been nice for it to be addressed. Though I guess you can say it would've reduced the impact of the twist.

There's also the not unlikely possibility that it was a plot hole in the end, though.

Interesting. That is quite reasonable actually! I'm surprised that I haven't thought much about this one.. But I did have similar experiences as you stated, Such as dreaming that I am taking another exam for something like a safety course, or a huge test!.. When really, I don't have it yet or needs to be retaken.
You seem to have a bigger idea and thought for this specific topic than me, but it can be possible! :o
YouTube Channel

Sep 26, 2016 3:31 AM
Sep 2016
I have a question over here: if the first time the comet obliterated the town it got 500 people killed, where Mitsuha and her 2 best friends were part of the list, why doesnt anybody die the second time the comet arrives if Mitsuha and Taki had failed to evacuate all the residents of the town? I dont think they were just "lucky". Thanks!
Sep 26, 2016 11:02 AM
Nov 2015
They managed to evacutae the city before the meteor hit. They cut away before the audience sees it but its revealed later by a news article.
Sep 26, 2016 4:51 PM
Sep 2016
bastix2 said:
They managed to evacutae the city before the meteor hit. They cut away before the audience sees it but its revealed later by a news article.

oh really? i cant even remember that news article youre talking about haha, i will have to rewatch the film... but what i remember from the last scenes in which they were trying to evacuate is Mitsuha and her friend giving up because no one was moving and so they both went home and accepted their fate haha.
so are you saying that Mitsuha actually did convince her father to evacuate the city when she got home?
Sep 26, 2016 5:01 PM

Feb 2016
Mario_Salvadori said:
bastix2 said:

oh really? i cant even remember that news article youre talking about haha, i will have to rewatch the film... but what i remember from the last scenes in which they were trying to evacuate is Mitsuha and her friend giving up because no one was moving and so they both went home and accepted their fate haha.
so are you saying that Mitsuha actually did convince her father to evacuate the city when she got home?

Pretty much what bastix said. They did evacuate the residents and people. But no, they did not 'accepted' their fate :P
They were trying to get people to keep moving, but Mitsuha went to the city hall to have them evacuate to the school
YouTube Channel

Sep 27, 2016 7:35 AM
Sep 2016
FuryTomic said:
Mario_Salvadori said:

Pretty much what bastix said. They did evacuate the residents and people. But no, they did not 'accepted' their fate :P
They were trying to get people to keep moving, but Mitsuha went to the city hall to have them evacuate to the school

holy moly ive just rewatched that part and its true that its explained everything in the news... i was probably so shocked thinking that they might have died in the blast that i didnt read the subtitiles for the next 10 minutes hahaha, thats my only possible explanation :)
thanks guys for your time and patience with me!
Oct 2, 2016 7:11 PM
Oct 2016
i kinda get the outcome of the movie but what im having trouble understanding is the 3 year difference. From what i understand is that mitsuha died 3 years prior to the body switching events. i have a question about that. about how long was that going on for... like a couple weeks, a month? another question i have is does this basically take place in 2 seperate timelines since mitsuha saw a version of taki that didnt recognize her. so im assuming that they take place in 2 different timelines. and with that mitsuhas timeline was 3 years ahead of takis. im just stating this because i want to know if im right and if im not please correct me. and about takis timeline how did he not know that mitsuhas town was destroyed by a comet. was it because he did not know the towns name and thought nothing of it or he didnt see the news about it? and my last question is about the final scene of the movie, since in takis timeline mitsuha her town were killed there is no mitsuha in his timeline. but once he drank the sake and was transfered to mitsuhas timeline he was able to savve her and most of her town. and after that scene the end of the movie took place in mitsuhas timeline and i know that she forgot his name but does she still remember the events that happened when she meets taki at the end of the movie. i know i have alot of questions but i would really appreciate a reply because i really enjoyed this movie but i want to understand everything. i legit just made an maL account just for this lmao
Oct 2, 2016 8:07 PM

Feb 2016
Almighty-Saber said:
i kinda get the outcome of the movie but what im having trouble understanding is the 3 year difference. From what i understand is that mitsuha died 3 years prior to the body switching events. i have a question about that. about how long was that going on for... like a couple weeks, a month? another question i have is does this basically take place in 2 seperate timelines since mitsuha saw a version of taki that didnt recognize her. so im assuming that they take place in 2 different timelines. and with that mitsuhas timeline was 3 years ahead of takis. im just stating this because i want to know if im right and if im not please correct me. and about takis timeline how did he not know that mitsuhas town was destroyed by a comet. was it because he did not know the towns name and thought nothing of it or he didnt see the news about it? and my last question is about the final scene of the movie, since in takis timeline mitsuha her town were killed there is no mitsuha in his timeline. but once he drank the sake and was transfered to mitsuhas timeline he was able to savve her and most of her town. and after that scene the end of the movie took place in mitsuhas timeline and i know that she forgot his name but does she still remember the events that happened when she meets taki at the end of the movie. i know i have alot of questions but i would really appreciate a reply because i really enjoyed this movie but i want to understand everything. i legit just made an maL account just for this lmao

I think this started around September. I specifically remember like Day 12, 13 etc from the movie. The Comet crashed on October 4th 2013. (This is from the movie.) I didn't see any clear giveaway kanji that could have indicated September, (or August) but it seemed reasonable, as they mentioned that they would body swap a few times each week. In addition, they had their Summer Uniforms, and Summer uniforms would be issued until September, which is the start of Fall. Though.. It would actually seem odd since Mitsuha has her Fall Uniform in October.

He may have forgotten that the comet crashed and killed people because it was 3 years ago, and not many would typically remember the news of people dying in an accident or catastrophe as the days and years go on. (For example, we may have forgotten about news of earthquakes killing people, or hurricanes going sweeping countries) I mean, I hate to admit it, but I completely forgotten that the Tsunami hit Japan back in 2011, until my Japanese Teacher brought up Earthquakes and Tsunamis (for our warmup questions) just last week. If I were to apply real life logic here. Taki may have forgotten because he might have known about the incident, but then forgets overtime as it just happened in 1 particular event, and nothing similar to that occurred after a period of time. Plus, our brain processes enormous amount of information everyday. (For one day, I would say we process at least 34GB of information each day.) If we do the math with our '34GB' (34 GB per day x 365 days x 3 years) It would be roughly around 37230 GB, which is pretty much 37.23 TB of data processed in 3 years. 34 GB of 37.23 TB is pretty much about .10% of information our brain stores in 3 years. (And that's a very small number on paper.) So on paper, Taki will most likely have forgotten about the event, unless if there was a significant thing about the event that is important to remember (such as family member/relative passing on that day, important incident that occured etc) Or simply, it was just for the convenient of the plot.

As for forgetting, we always forget information or stuff we remember. To put simply, you can forget what you want to remember the most, or things you want to remember the most. It's called short term memory loss. I usually have short term memory loss, which is quite common for me if we are thrown with information to remember. If you don't know what short term memory loss is, its where the process of your brain is temporarily storing small bits of information for a very short amount of time, usually for only 15-30 seconds. This is somewhat plausible explanation since Taki just simply, 'forgot' after he tries remembering mitsuha's name over and over. Same thing with Mitsuha, except her case is reasonable for forgetting (Panicking about the comet hitting your town, evacuating people to safety, looking to get people convinced) Then she forgets after most of that, and also falling down. Or you have started to develop Alzheimer's disease if it's that serious. (<99% Unlikely. Then that would mean Mitsuha and Taki both have started developing Alzheimer's Disease at a very young age.) And if she remembers the events that happened? Most likely, since she and her friends had people be evacuated to safety. Except where if she remembers Taki and that he told her what to do. She might have just simply remembered that they had to evacuate the town, and the three predicted it would break apart. Or likewise, a plothole.

Well that was my intake for your comment. Sorry if it's an essay about it :P
YouTube Channel

Oct 2, 2016 9:14 PM
Oct 2016
Thanks but did i hit the nail on the head about their being 2 timelines, and the ''events' i was talking about is the body switching events. At the end of the movie where mitsuha saw taki on the stairs does she still have memories of switching bodies'. oh and will this movie be dubbed since funimation got the rights to it. i watched 5 cm per sec and garden of words in dub so it be nice to watch it dubbed to
Oct 3, 2016 4:55 PM

Feb 2016
Almighty-Saber said:
Thanks but did i hit the nail on the head about their being 2 timelines, and the ''events' i was talking about is the body switching events. At the end of the movie where mitsuha saw taki on the stairs does she still have memories of switching bodies'. oh and will this movie be dubbed since funimation got the rights to it. i watched 5 cm per sec and garden of words in dub so it be nice to watch it dubbed to

You were right on a few things. However, I hardly believe (meaning I don't think) that Mitsuha still has the memories of switching bodies. If she does, then she could have just searched for Taki based on the High School he attended, and visit him there. Or the part time job he has at the Italian restaurant. It was probably like that for the convenience of the ending plot.

The dub cast hasn't been announced yet, but I am quite interested to see who is going to be in the Dub Cast. Personally, I don't like dubs since I feel that it kinds of ruin the movie in my opinion. But that's just my own opinion about dubbing in your respective language (other than Japanese.)
YouTube Channel

Oct 4, 2016 3:47 AM
Oct 2016
dam even though this is (in my opinion) a better ending the the garden of words and 5 cm per second this is still a better sweet ending to me. They went through all that and even though they end up together (or thats what i like to think) it still pretty sad they didnt remember anything.
Oct 18, 2016 5:47 AM
Oct 2016
FuryTomic said:
Zussolini said:

But in the movie, the info was getting distorted and all. So the timeline changed and didn't split?
Nov 11, 2016 2:32 AM
Jun 2011
Hi, these are some of my personal views and thoughts of what I came to understand from the movie. I hope it answers some of your questions. WARNING contain spoilers

1. Mitsuha and Taki could not remember clearly about their body swaps and they only realized that the body swap did actually happen from the reactions from the people around them due to the cause and effect of their individual actions. In the movie, Mitsuha did mentioned she could not remember what she did on the day of the first swap shown in the movie(the bed hair part). From this, the nature of the body swap is like a dream, and like how we dream, the aftermath is that we could not clearly remember things like date and time properly. However, we could sometimes remember the actions we did in our dream. Furthermore, they are only concern about protecting their lifestyles and would overlook the things they want to remember during the body swap. Therefore, if Taki or Mitsuha did find out the 3 years gap during the body swap period, there is a high chance of them forgetting about it the next day.

2. Why do both Mitsuha and Taki forget each other? By starting with the fact that Taki went to the mountains in search of the god, his purpose was to save Mitsuha. However, the fact that Mitsuha later survives, which is a change in the timeline causes a paradox. The paradox is that the purpose of Taki trying to save Mitsuha from the beginning is a contradiction as there should not be a book of the names of the victims that has Mitsuha's name inside. Due to the laws of nature, Taki will forget why he went to the mountains. However, his feelings and the consequences of his actions still remains and thus causing the Deja Vu feeling that they constantly having later on.

From Mitsuha's view and following the logic as mentioned, the body swap happens in the timeline where she will die from the comet. In the timeline where she survives, the body swap, by right, should not have taken place. Starting from the twilight, also known as "kataware-doki", both Taki and Mitsuha returns to normal in a natural way and not triggered by sleep. From there on, the timeline where the body swap takes place transitions to the other timeline where everybody survives and thus she would forget Taki. Later on, she would also forget how she knew that the comet is going hit as the news stated that Itomori was holding practice drills and did not pinpoint any issues to Mitsuha. The teacher did state that it is " when the world blurs and one might encounter something not human".

3. Why did both Taki and Mitsuha suddenly tear after the Grandma state that Taki was dreaming? It can be safely assumed that the "musubi" aka "connection" between Taki and Mitsuha has been severed as they did not body swapped after that. This was triggered by the Grandma due to her experiencing the same body swap. Furthermore, none of the friends realized about the body swap, the body swap can be considered part of the law of nature. Therefore, with someone else realizing of the out of logic body swap, the body swap would then be stopped. Furthermore, the dairy entries from Mitsuha also get erased by the law of nature.

On the other hand, the "musubi" was reconnected by Mitsuha as she went to find Taki and gave him her braided cord, which symbolizes "musubi" itself and later triggers Taki to drink the wine and restart the body swap.

4. How did Taki swap body with Mitsuha from drinking the wine? The wine was stated to be Mitsuha's other self. When Taki drank the wine, he came to understand Mitsuha's life like a miracle, and via this miracle, he was also able to body swap. Don't think so much about it.

5. Lastly, will they remember about the body swap again? My answer is yes BUT they will forget about it again. There are many pieces of evidence of the body swap which still lingers in the timeline where Mitsuha survives.
For example:
- Mitsuha lived through the moment where she somehow tried to save the people in her city from the comet.
- Taki could perfectly sketch his "Mitsuha's hometown" drawing before he visited the actual place with Miki and the other guy.
Putting myself in their shoes, I would trace back from the fact that Mitsuha came running down the mountains, thus something must happen from the mountains. So what happen at the mountain? The answer is "kataware-doki". As stated, the Twilight is when the timeline where Mitsuha dies transitions to the timeline where she survives. Both Taki and Mitsuha can relive the moment of the Twilight and remember the moment they first met each other there as well as remembering every other thing. However, they would gradually forget it again after the Twilight. Hope someone can do an after story of them experiencing the Twilight again.........

Thanks for reading.
Nov 19, 2016 2:40 AM
Apr 2013
iTzQueso said:
FuryTomic said:

-FuryTomic

Hi guys, i'm enjoying this discussion so much and though i have only watched this movie once i have some theories that might be able to cover this "plothole".

Firstly sometimes the dates in notification area or on wallpaper shortcuts on iphones (or even android which i am using) are displayed with sat,19 nov without the year unless you open the calendar app etc. Now i recall there were a few shots of their phones in the movie but i dont recall seeing any year shown (maybe they did i need to watch it again).

Which brings me to my 2nd theory, even if the year is shown, they probably didnt take much notice of it and just assumed it was still their year (2013 / 2016 respectively) Also the movie seem to imply that they were in a dreamlike state while they were in each other bodies, they probably couldnt remember micro details such as dates etc or were overwhelmed by other more important events (date with senpai etc).

But of course this is just my theory, it could probably be a plothole lol. It would be quite fun if one of them wrote in their notes (hey why is it 2013/2016? Are you from the future/past?!
Nov 30, 2016 5:32 PM
Nov 2016
Wait, can anyone help me too? I wanted to know at the end of the movie they show that Mitsuha went to see taki and he did not remember her anyhow so I wanted to know whether that was before the body-swamping phenomenon or after it happened and if it was after than can you give me a explanation?
Dec 15, 2016 6:56 AM
Dec 2016
FuryTomic said:
Hiatt said:

-FuryTomic
Hey man, could you help me wit a question? Why did Taki wrote "I love you" instead of his name on Mitsuha's hand instead of his name? please i cant sleep Thanks!
Dec 15, 2016 6:59 AM
Dec 2016
Why did Taki wrote "I love you" instead of his name on mitsuha's hand. i very much confused about this and why they unconsciously cried
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1387 by Hphone »»
Apr 23, 4:51 AM

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.