Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 17, 2015 10:33 AM

Sep 2014
Here you can recommend your favourite psychological anime/manga. Please put a brief reason to why you like it, but no reason to put a flat out review (unless you want to, of course.)
My signature was removed, so I decided to change it.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 1, 2015 4:51 AM
Jan 2015
My favorite Psychological/horror manga is Ibitsu. I just finished it and i was scary as hell. I liked it really much because the characters was really fitting and good for the story. I love scary psycho female characters so Ibitsu was a great fit for me
Apr 1, 2015 9:39 AM
Jan 2015
yea im going tp check it out
Apr 6, 2015 9:54 AM
Feb 2014
Hello everyone,

If I could recommend only one psychological anime it would definitely be Naoki Urasawa's Monster.

This 74 episode long psychological thriller is slow-paced, but it keeps you on the edge of your seat. The way they build up the story is fantastic. The characters are interesting and realistic. It takes you deep in the characters mindset and explores subjects such as fear, domination, abuse and murder. It will tackle the viewer with different ideals, views and retorical questions such as "Is human life equal?".

Instead of solely focussing on the main character, brainsurgeon dr. Kenzou Tenma, it will sometimes switch from character standpoint.
Don't be afraid, it will al lead to a perfect conclusion in which everything falls into place.

The way they portray the main antoganist is extremely interesting.
I would describe it as a brilliant anomaly who is to hard to understand for people like us. You will constantly try to figure out his ideals and that what makes this series so interesting.
This series is not for the faint hearted, but I assume you guys don't mind a little bloodshed.

At last, I will say that some people will drop the series, because of the extremely slow-pacing in the first 20 episodes.
But believe me, once you get through the slow start it will be well worth your time.

Thank you for reading and have fun!
Apr 7, 2015 12:43 PM
Mar 2015
I haven't watched anime nor read manga in a while. From what I remember, Liar's Game isn't bad. It's been a while, and I read like the first 30 some chapters. The art starts off being, well, very unappealing to lots of people. If you're picky about art, I wouldn't check out this one. I've read lots of psychological manga, but I can't remember any at the top of my head right now. All I know is if that there's a lot of interesting one shot manga. They are short and don't require much thinking.

Oh yeah--Helter Skelter, about a young model who is sinking into identity crisis. I don't really know how to explain it. It's a nice read, with cool art (you'll see what I mean), interesting. There's a live movie for it.
Apr 8, 2015 12:41 PM
Feb 2014
I second Liar Game. It is one of my favorite manga just because it delivers fun and witty games which are clever, but also very interesting. I don't wanna spoil anything, but I will say that you will be suprised by this manga.

A must-read for any psychological fan.
Apr 11, 2015 11:08 AM
Apr 2015
My favorite psychological/thriller anime is Danganronpa : the animation because every character in this anime is unique, mysterious (dont judge a "character" by his cover) ---> You may feel a sense of betrayal while watching because every assumption you have on a character will be false :3
May 1, 2015 6:43 AM

Mar 2014
The Jigoku Shoujo series should be added.
May 1, 2015 7:55 AM

Sep 2014
I'll get on that.
My signature was removed, so I decided to change it.
May 1, 2015 6:09 PM

Jun 2008
Monster
I would have to agree with redache completely. It is a great psycho trip and I am currently re-watching it.

Paranoia Agent
It's about an urban legend character known as Shounen Bat or Lil' Slugger in the dub, who goes after and attacks individuals who are feeling overwhelmed or having a mental breakdown. In the beginning each episode seems like they are unrelated but they end up tying into each other towards the end of the series.

Jigoku Shojo (Hell Girl)
As Eulenspiegel recommends this is another great psychological anime. Each episode contains its own story in which a character, due to the events that take place in the episode, decides to get revenge on someone by using a supernatural website. It actually reminds a lot of the early episodes of Paranoia Agent, so if you like one of these two series try the other you may enjoy it.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry)
I'm actually surprised this isn't posted already. One of my first introductions into psychological thriller animes, and boy did it really leave a mark on me. It is based on a virtual novel and the anime plays out each possible scenario from the virtual novel, so it will tell the same story multiple times with different outcomes. This anime is the main reason I am always suspicious of cute seemingly innocent anime girls.

Psycho-Pass
This is a pretty decent anime which starts out strong, set in a future where you are judged to be guilty or innocent by your psycho pass. A number which indicates your mental stability. The world is equipped with psycho-pass scanners everywhere. So when a bunch of gruesome murders take place by an individual who doesn't seem to display a high psycho-pass it turns into a real cat and mouse game. I wasn't too impressed with the ending but overall it is still a great psychological anime.

Elfen Lied
This was another one of my early psychological thriller animes. If you can get past the bad voice acting in the dubbed version (never watched the subbed, but i hear that was pretty bad as well), This is IMO one of the best psychological anime out there. I will still re-watch it every year or so just because the story is that good. Kinda hard to give it a "brief" summary without giving too much away.

I'm just gonna name off some more because this post is becoming much longer than I originally thought:

The Future Diary
Death Note
Code Geass
Another
Chaos;Head

hope this helps enjoy
IckarusMay 1, 2015 6:13 PM
May 10, 2015 10:59 AM

Mar 2014
Ichi the killer is a manga you will like if you're okay with extreme gore.
May 18, 2015 7:06 AM

May 2015
One outs.because its a rare mix of psychological and sports genre done right.and the protagonist is a mastermind also.
Jul 28, 2015 1:53 AM

Mar 2014
Gunjou. A manga that certainly looks interesting. I'm going to check that out soon.
Aug 20, 2015 3:35 AM
Aug 2013
Well, not knowing what you watched, here's a list:
-Higurashi
-Psycho Pass
-Shin Sekai Yori
-Code Geass
-Death Note
-Monster
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Perfect Blue
-Mirai Nikki
-Steins Gate
Dec 14, 2015 6:47 AM
Dec 2015
Dead Tube would be my recommendation... But only if you're okay with gore, lots of nudity (it gets borderline H manga in chapter 11) and truly messed up characters.
Dec 21, 2015 7:16 PM
Dec 2015
Suprised no one posted this by now, but Ghost Hound. It uses the same surrealistic imagery of Serial Experiments Lain tied in with true medical terms to demonstrate something every true psychological anime should be. It is about three boys in a town, all suffering from varying mental conditions that effect their view on reality. They by circumstance can enter into a spirit realm-esque dimension by out of body experiences. As the series progresses, they must slowly come to terms of their conditions, be it by various methods of therapy or dealing themselves with the past. It really is an excellent anime.
Jul 13, 2016 12:30 PM
Jul 2018
Well,Don't forget The Civilization Blaster.first path of anime,it's a lot of Mystery.but when upper of ep 14,many psychological sense there.imagine,just because of girlfriend,you must to save the world.at the same time,when you've friend to do that together,never imagined by you possibility your friend just to betray you,everytime,and everywhere.and other scenes will give you excited sense.many animes also served a psychological with mystery too,and there were most popular anime by people know.such as Death Note,Future Diary,and Monster.

I recommend too for psychological manga,there are Dead Tube and Ibitsu.both are equally brought mystery and horror.plus,a lot of ecchi.but,don't judge by the ecchi.the plot of stories is also great.and added by common-thinking character,it's give a specially psychological-sense.
Apr 1, 2018 3:37 AM
Jun 2016
Manga: Shamo, Undercurrent, Aku no Hana, Himizu, Bitter Virgin, Uzumaki.
Anime: Death Note, HxH, Tatami Galaxy, Steins; Gate, Erased, Re: Zero, Kaze no Na Wa Amnesia(underrated movie).
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Favourite physiological thriller anime?

FlyingLasso - Jan 30, 2015

27 by primelalala »»
Feb 25, 2021 4:32 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul/RE (My contain spoliers)

FlyingLasso - Mar 23, 2015

15 by FlyingLasso »»
Nov 25, 2015 8:23 AM

» Post your drawings here!

FlyingLasso - Jul 18, 2015

0 by FlyingLasso »»
Jul 18, 2015 6:34 AM

» Suggestions for Clubs and other Information

FlyingLasso - Mar 8, 2015

7 by FlyingLasso »»
Apr 7, 2015 8:58 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul √A

Decend - Mar 17, 2015

17 by Redache »»
Apr 6, 2015 12:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.