Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 25, 2009 2:03 AM
May 2008
I realize my title might be a little misleading so I will start off by saying I really, really, really, like this anime.. well.. rather than like.. I... lo..love..

Well anyways great story lines are my dream..I really like them and one day hope to make my own great story..so I'm taking notes from other great stories. But this anime seems to stump many people. It's just good and that's all people know.. I've read a few reviews and lots of comments about it.. they haven't answered my question with a definite answer.. One review which I found to be the best is this one though.
http://www.japanator.com/why-kimi-ni-todoke-is-setting-itself-up-to-be-one-of-the-best-romance-anime-in-a-long-while-11812.phtml

So lets see if a team of fans can come up with a better answer besides "recapture a bit of the magic of falling in love for the first time" since I for one don't know what falling in love feels like so there are no feelings for nostalgia from it..And if I am falling in love with anything it would be the anime itself and none of the characters..It's more like the feelings of the anime speak to me so easily..But that doesn't really explain why it's so good. So lets see if you can come up with a different answer.
Nov 25, 2009 4:24 AM

Jun 2008
I'm enjoying this show because it's... well... simple. It's honest and wears its heart on its sleeve in regards to portraying Sadako. No baka karate chops, meganekko class reps, power-tsunderes, or the classic trip-on-someone-and-create-a-misunderstanding. It makes a point and creates a story without the usual gimmicks, and that's what I've been enjoying so far. Now, I don't like school animes completely devoid of humor, and the chibis and SDs add a nice, lighthearted touch to it.

If anything, this is the way I *wished* falling in love. Seeing Sadako take baby steps towards a love in full bloom has been nothing but enjoyable.

Oh yeah, also Mamiko Noto <3
Jan 10, 2010 12:21 PM

Dec 2007
I find it quite simple why everyone loves this, and it's the same reason to why few can put their finger on what they actually like about it. It's pure fanservice.

Oh, not the "cute girls with big boobs" kinda fanservice, but more of an "emotional" fanservice. Pretty much half the show is Sawako expressing how unbelievably happy she is, and any attemp at an explanation of the shows greatness i've heard roots in not much more than how they just like smiling at how perfect everything is. Because in the end neither the romance story nor the character are all that good and the comedy is almost only chibis.

This is not my kind of fanservice. If i'm gonna make an analogy i guess Bleach is the best example. I can enjoy it just for the shallow but kick-ass action. I like it, but i can absolutely admit that it's not a good show. It's not, and neither is this. It has one oh so obvious and shallow quality and nothing else.

If you say you like it, that's cool, but if you say it's good i think you're not honest with yourself.

... or have a very different definition of good from mine.
Jan 12, 2010 10:33 AM
Jan 2010
Hmmm, when I read the description of kimi ni todoke on wikipedia, i thought oh it's a typical love story, but I was excited to see it because i still enjoy them as such. so when i started watching it, after the first episode when he says kimi ni todoke, i really felt hooked like i needed to know what it was about. and ive been HOOKED. and i love kazehaya!!!!!! i mean hes so realistic which is why hes perfect. it makes u wish that u could have a guy like him, im not kidding. they way he behaves towards sawako is really adorable and how he blushes when he sees ONLY her. then again it makes u really longing.
anyway when i tell my friends about it, and its a shoujo anime, they go "oh only girls?" and i say no, its not a girly manga, its just GOOD, i cant explain it in any other way/ the plot is simple enough, bu ttheres something about it. the way everything is expressed is soo real that u feel connected to the show. nothing is shallow about it, and her realizations and things are expressed so honestly, it's just the charm. i still have no answer to tell my friends about whyy its so good, except that kazehaya is really awesome, but they just must watch it. its so true, i dont know WHYY its great, it just is!! :P only thing is everytime i see something good happen, im so happy for them that it makes u extremely longing for a love like that lol. thats the power of this anime...:))
Jan 13, 2010 7:40 AM

Dec 2007
animemonkeys said:
nothing is shallow about it
animemonkeys said:
and i love kazehaya!!!!!!
´_`

Please tell me what the difference is when saying "kya, that guy is so purfect, i lurv him ^^" about Kazehaya and about Edward from Twilight.

Ok, Twilight is worse, but it's the same thing.

animemonkeys said:
i mean hes so realistic which is why hes perfect.
No my friend, he is not realistic. Kazehaya is an angel. He is marshmallows in human form. He is the kindest, gentlest and overall most likeable person you could ever immagine. That is not realistic.
Jan 13, 2010 7:56 AM

Jul 2007
It's realistic and Innocent and I can't predict it.

Jan 13, 2010 11:17 AM

Dec 2009
I watched the first episode and didn't like it that much. I was pretty suprised actually, since everyone has said great things about and and some said that I'd probably love it. I'm gonna check some other eps just to be sure that I'm not making a misstake :/
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jan 13, 2010 11:31 AM
Jun 2008
Because bubbles and sparkles.
Jan 13, 2010 4:48 PM

Jan 2009
Can't really say why I like it... I guess because it makes me feel very relaxed for some reason. :)
Jan 13, 2010 4:57 PM
Jul 2009
I can't honestly say there's anything special or unique about it.. But I still like it a lot
Jan 13, 2010 6:45 PM

Aug 2007
Becouse is about relationship and real things that happen to people. thes anime is so realistic.
Jan 13, 2010 7:40 PM
Jul 2009
I do not understand how this anime is more realistic than any other romantic anime.
Jan 13, 2010 9:20 PM

Aug 2009
I think Volbla's got it right on the dot. Most shoujo anime is emotional fanservice (and maybe a dash of physical fanservice as well, for the ladies, that is) which is why people like it so much. It fills a, for lack of a better word, need that girls either can relate to or want in their own lives. Like guys like Kazehaya are unrealistic, dreamlike princes that only exist in fantasies, yet that's what girls want. I mean, why do middle-aged women love romance novels? Why do tweenybops love Twilight? Why do you always see romantic comedy movies jam-packed with young women (and the reluctant boyfriends they bring along)?

Point being made, that's why I love Kimi ni Todoke. It gives me that heartbeat/butterfly feeling similar to that when I watched Lovely Complex, read other shoujo manga, and the ups and downs of my own love life. Also, I suffer from escapism, but that's beside the point.

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Jan 16, 2010 3:28 PM

Jan 2010
This anime is so great because its really funny and its a very interesting anime :)
Jan 16, 2010 4:25 PM

Oct 2007
This anime is great because Aya Hirano is in it.

It's just like how putting a ☆ in the middle of an anime title and people will watch it.
Or adding " -Yuuutsu" at the end, people will also watch it.

Aya is the same.
Jan 21, 2010 11:42 AM

Jul 2009
Cause it's simple (enough said), and it's actually like a real romance. An innocent one. A beautiful one. It doesn't drag you, it guides you. It has the softest atmosphere ever. It- alright, I'm done.

Damn, I just love this way too much.
Jan 21, 2010 12:54 PM

Dec 2007
poketonip said:
it's actually like a real romance.

Hmm. Maybe you're right about that. Not that being this realistic actually does anything for me. If i wanted something real i would watch football instead of action movies.

But maybe that's just me :)
Jan 21, 2010 1:09 PM

Jul 2009
Volbla said:
poketonip said:
it's actually like a real romance.

Hmm. Maybe you're right about that. Not that being this realistic actually does anything for me. If i wanted something real i would watch football instead of action movies.

But maybe that's just me :)
Don't wanna be rude, but I think romance can't be compared to football or action movies. Like, it's much, much deeper. The deeper the better- at least for me - and Kimi ni Todoke is as deep as it could get. So is Clannad, which I also love.

IMO being deep is being realistic, looking like an actual romance, so that you can believe it happens in the real world, which is hard to find in anime.

Maybe you also like realistic romances and you haven't noticed! :)

Or maybe not, hehe.
Jan 21, 2010 2:22 PM

Dec 2007
poketonip said:
Don't wanna be rude, but I think romance can't be compared to football or action movies.

Maybe not, but i don't think a too realistic romance story is anything exciting, becuase real life romance isn't that exciting. Right?

Just have to find the right balance between realistic and exciting/stupid :3
Jan 21, 2010 4:47 PM

Jul 2009
Volbla said:
poketonip said:
Don't wanna be rude, but I think romance can't be compared to football or action movies.

Maybe not, but i don't think a too realistic romance story is anything exciting, becuase real life romance isn't that exciting. Right?

You're right. I guess I got tired of some stupid romances I've seen lately.
The good part about the realistic romances is how you can apply yourself (in your life, possibly), as one of the lovers. But a little fantasy doesn't do any harm :D
Jan 21, 2010 7:58 PM

Jul 2009
Volbla said:
poketonip said:

Yeah, you're right!

EDIT: oooops, double. Sorry!
Jan 21, 2010 7:59 PM

Oct 2009
i think its really cliche and pretty much everythings been done before

i still like it tho :3
Jan 22, 2010 9:12 AM

Feb 2009
it's a good anime, nothing outstanding, but pleasant to watch (it gives you this warm feeling)

i don't remember the last time I saw this type of anime. for some time now, if you want to watch a romance it's hard to find something that is not a stupid echii comedy. that's why i'm sure that this anime will be successful. The plot, although it is not sophisticated, have something unique within it. And as for the characters it's hard to dislike them.
Jan 29, 2010 6:54 PM

Aug 2009
This IS the Anime of winter 2010.
-Fixing-
Jan 29, 2010 7:27 PM

Aug 2009
Wilio said:

Funny cuz this anime came out in Fall 2009

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Jan 29, 2010 8:55 PM

Jul 2007
Personally in my opinion, I find this anime to be very UNREALISTIC while realistic at the same time.

Realistic

Unrealistic - wall of text
Jan 30, 2010 2:41 AM

Aug 2009
Selkaine said:
Wilio said:

Shows how there's nothing that good compared to this.
-Fixing-
Jan 30, 2010 1:11 PM

Aug 2009
Wilio said:
Selkaine said:
Wilio said:

Shows how there's nothing that good compared to this.

Hmm... Very true. I'll give you that one.

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Feb 8, 2010 8:18 PM

Dec 2009
neverless said:

Unrealistic -

I agree with most of your post however..

Heres my opinions on the above quote:

Feb 21, 2010 11:43 PM

Feb 2008
It's those sparkly shoujo bubbles, man. They're the cause for all this warm, fuzzines felt after watching an episode.
Feb 22, 2010 5:26 AM

Nov 2009
Cuz its refreshing .. LoL
Feb 26, 2010 11:10 AM

Oct 2009
Because it makes me feel better . I don't know why. This still raising love and the problems and everything.. All the time watching anime I think "she should be happy ! they should be together!" and I'm watching this still looking forward to it and observing their problems. The plot is so simple, and that's great !
Mar 19, 2010 3:59 PM

Dec 2008
Well I guess a lot of otaku girls will relate to the main character. (I'm otaku so don't feel bad) The story itself is cute, seeing the girl overcome little objectives and become a little more social (and closer to the guy) makes it sweet. I don't recommend watching it late at night (Let's leave shonen for that time) because you might zzZZ. Good show.
Oct 27, 2013 3:25 PM

Apr 2013
All this anime is is one big misunderstanding. Its enjoyable and all, but its sooo bland and predictable. Honestly, its just your typical shojou anime. I think the only story arc i actually really enjoyed was the one with Ryuu's brother. Overall i found Kimi ni todoke kinda disapointing..
Nov 2, 2016 10:45 AM

Oct 2016
ST4RF1SH said:
All this anime is is one big misunderstanding. Its enjoyable and all, but its sooo bland and predictable. Honestly, its just your typical shojou anime. I think the only story arc i actually really enjoyed was the one with Ryuu's brother. Overall i found Kimi ni todoke kinda disapointing..

This is a wild comparison, but look at the horror/comedy movie Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. It got such a positive response from fans, mostly because it's just one big misunderstanding but happens to be hilarious and sweet. It doesn't always have to be a bad thing...it worked for Tucker and Dale and I think it definitely worked for this series.

One of the reasons it's great is because the misunderstanding of Kuronuma is taken to the extreme; the way people perceive her is polar opposite from how she actually is. People see a living walking Sadako (which is an awesome reference in itself) when she couldn't be any farther from that. She's as cute, innocent, and sweet as it gets, which makes the scenes where she goes from Sadako to chibi so damn funny.

"Environmental measures are all skewed in favor of benefiting the human race! Why do you refuse to acknowledge that? Prioritize the prosperity of all life over that of the human race! That is what would make you the superior species!"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Jakeki - Mar 9, 2010

171 by 068 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2010

190 by Vyse_Sohma »»
Apr 19, 8:26 PM

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

francismeunier - Mar 30, 2010

369 by havish4real »»
Mar 23, 7:13 AM

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Mar 23, 2010

161 by havish4real »»
Mar 23, 7:13 AM

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

francismeunier - Mar 2, 2010

161 by BurningSapphires »»
Mar 6, 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.