Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 1, 9:33 AM

Aug 2011

https://myanimelist.net/anime/51122/

Plot Summary

New anime project for Ookami to Koushinryou.

Other Information

Type: TV
Episodes: Unknown
Aired: Apr 2, 2024 to ?
Premiered: Spring 2024
Broadcast: Tuesdays at 01:30 (JST)
Producers: Enishiya
Licensors: None found, add some
Studios: Passione
Source: Light novel
Genres: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Romance
Theme: Adult Cast
Duration: Unknown
Rating: None

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 1, 11:27 AM

Aug 2011
Episode 1

Just so you know, this is a reboot of the original series. The fact that it says "Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf" in its subtitle ought to make that fact quite clear and obvious to everybody since that would have already happened a long time ago if it were a continuation of the original series. If there is a sequel after this two-cour adaptation finishes, I expect that subtitle to change to something else realizing that this won't apply at that juncture.

So just like with the original series, it begins with Lawrence on one of his usual business trips to a village and the wise wolf Holo from Yoitsu is found napping in the nude in his wagon. Lawrence goes into Pasloe village where they worship Holo all while Lawrence is more of a realist. And after retiring for the night, Holo is in the guest room as the two spend the night together after Holo explains that she yearns to return to Yoitsu and ditched town to do that. This definitely has a much different feel from the original series, though the story is pretty familiar. Whether that's for the better remains to be seen as while it's being directed by the same person who did the original series, the art style is radically different and will take some time to get used to.
Apr 1, 11:59 AM

Jan 2017
I swear Kevin Penkin's music just makes any anime (good or bad) so much better. 15 years since I saw the original? Damn this was good stuff.

Man... Ami Koshimizu is such a good VA.
paulchaestedApr 1, 12:03 PM
I'm a cultured degenerate.
Apr 1, 12:13 PM

Aug 2018
Oof, the production values are a real step down from the original. Hard to see the point of this if they're just going to hit the same story beats in a worse-looking (and sounding) way. Also, I watched the dub of the original, and unless they return, Brina Palencia and J. Michael Tatum will be a hard duo to top.
Set SCE to AUX
Apr 1, 12:27 PM

Oct 2022
If that scene before the opening credits is what I think it is, then I believe it's all but certain that we'll be getting a full adaptation of the series.

boldulysses said:
Oof, the production values are a real step down from the original. Hard to see the point of this if they're just going to hit the same story beats in a worse-looking (and sounding) way. Also, I watched the dub of the original, and unless they return, Brina Palencia and J. Michael Tatum will be a hard duo to top.

I was similarly skeptical about how things would turn out when Passione took over the animation production for season 4 of High School DxD. It definitely will take some getting used to for people who've seen the original. And yeah, those two had better reprise their roles for the dub of the reboot. Of course, they'll likely also be reprising their roles for the dub of the new Black Butler season.
Failure is always an option.
Apr 1, 2:27 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to Galaxy-Crisis
If that scene before the opening credits is what I think it is, then I believe it's all but certain that we'll be getting a full adaptation of the series.

boldulysses said:

I was similarly skeptical about how things would turn out when Passione took over the animation production for season 4 of High School DxD. It definitely will take some getting used to for people who've seen the original. And yeah, those two had better reprise their roles for the dub of the reboot. Of course, they'll likely also be reprising their roles for the dub of the new Black Butler season.
Galaxy-Crisis said:

Yeah, they better not tease the flash forward then not adapt the entire series. Maybe even the sequel if this goes well.

I'm glad all the original VA's are back. It's been so long since I watched the original that I don't notice any stark difference in animation quality as I don't remember.
Apr 1, 3:50 PM

Sep 2019
Strangely enough, I was never interested in the original, and watching the first episode of this remake isn't helping. It just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I'll pass.
Apr 1, 3:51 PM
Jun 2017
So far; my big complaint is that the original OP1 was better than this.
Apr 1, 5:59 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to RMikami
Strangely enough, I was never interested in the original, and watching the first episode of this remake isn't helping. It just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I'll pass.
@RMikami It does have a pretty specific vibe to it both the original and this.
Apr 2, 7:42 AM

Aug 2018
runec said:
It's been so long since I watched the original that I don't notice any stark difference in animation quality as I don't remember.

The original animation quality wasn't super great, but it had a specific feel to it that dovetailed really well with the tone of the story. It felt all-of-a-piece. This remake just looks like every other cookie cutter anime on nowadays. Kind of reminds me of the (huge) downgrade from S1 to S2+ of The Devil is a Part-Timer...
Set SCE to AUX
Apr 2, 11:20 AM

Feb 2019
Reply to boldulysses
boldulysses said:
watched the dub of the original, and unless they return, Brina Palencia and J. Michael Tatum will be a hard duo to top.

So is this just a remake of the original? I am not sure I watched the whole original series, but I know I watched at least some of it. I can't remember if it was on Toonami or on the the Funimation Channel, but I also think of Brina Palencia and J. Michael Tatum when seeing these characters.

I am not a huge fan of Kraft's Japanese VA, but I do like Holo's
Apr 2, 12:41 PM

Jan 2017
Reply to HOOfan_1
boldulysses said:
watched the dub of the original, and unless they return, Brina Palencia and J. Michael Tatum will be a hard duo to top.

So is this just a remake of the original? I am not sure I watched the whole original series, but I know I watched at least some of it. I can't remember if it was on Toonami or on the the Funimation Channel, but I also think of Brina Palencia and J. Michael Tatum when seeing these characters.

HOOfan_1 said:

I didn't realize it until now but she voiced Kilmaria from My One-Hit Sister. The "ja" at the end of every sentence from Holo gave it away and I thought "Damn, Ami Koshimizu has crazy range."
I'm a cultured degenerate.
Apr 2, 12:44 PM

Feb 2019
Reply to paulchaested
HOOfan_1 said:

I didn't realize it until now but she voiced Kilmaria from My One-Hit Sister. The "ja" at the end of every sentence from Holo gave it away and I thought "Damn, Ami Koshimizu has crazy range."
@paulchaested She was also the Otaku Elf
Apr 2, 12:53 PM
Jun 2017
I thought the original VAs for Kraft and Holo were the same ones from the original?

EDIT: Wiki says they are the original VAs.
Apr 2, 4:47 PM

Nov 2021
I really enjoyed the original series, but it's been a long time since I watched it. While I only recall a few of the details I do remember the vibe and this episode had that vibe. Looking forward to seeing where they go next.
The tomatoes are coming! Arm the dicer! Prepare the olive oil!
Apr 3, 6:54 PM

Oct 2022
I'd always meant to watch the original but the few times I tried it seemed awfully slow and I'd stop. I actually like this one better so far (sacrilege, I know) so I will just start fresh here.
Apr 8, 11:50 AM

Aug 2011
Episode 2

And with that, Lawrence and Holo fall in love as they go on a journey together, making a stop to sell furs, as well as to take shelter from the rain. And then he learns that Holo is no big bad wolf as she can see through lies. Lawrence is quite the shrewd merchant there, and having Holo by his side makes it so that he knows when a bad deal is coming. Holo's curiosity is really cute, all while those two are really getting to know each other seeing that it's a long journey.
Apr 8, 12:14 PM

Oct 2022
Lawrence's cover story to explain Holo traveling with him is that they're married. Even though Holo can tell when someone's lying, Lawrence is still going through with investigating that one tip about currency speculation, so as to minimize the risks involved. Also, Lawrence evidently has had some traumatic encounters with wolves, and likewise, Holo has had some bad experiences with humans.
Apr 15, 9:11 AM

Oct 2022
Dub starts today, and like with the sub, the English VA's for Holo and Lawrence are reprising their roles from the original series.
Apr 15, 10:06 AM

Aug 2018
Galaxy-Crisis said:
Dub starts today, and like with the sub, the English VA's for Holo and Lawrence are reprising their roles from the original series.

This is great news. I'll give this another look, then.
Set SCE to AUX
Apr 15, 11:28 AM

Aug 2011
Episode 3

Having been given some intel from Zheren, he goes to do his fur trade deal, as well as to confirm that what he's saying is a scam. Holo is already a pro at this as she convinced that desperate buyer to fork over 10 more silver coins than what was agreed to initially. As it turns out, Zheren's lie comes from the trick of trading with the Trenni silver coins, which have been losing value, as well as making it a deal to trade with low-purity coins. Lawrence made some errors there, but thanks to Holo that he knows what he needs to do. Holo is the perfect partner there as she's showing just how insightful she is.
Apr 15, 5:08 PM

Oct 2022
Now we're introduced to Holo's taste in apples, and she actually uses them as a trick to increase Lawrence's profits in trading the fur pelts. But it seems the coins in question from Zheren's tip are actually decreasing in value, and his info is actually second-hand. However, thanks to Holo's insight, Lawrence seems to have an idea on how to capitalize on it, regardless.
Apr 15, 6:26 PM

Oct 2022
I did not expect to hear an English version of the opening for the dub.
Apr 16, 5:00 AM

Feb 2019
So, are the naming conventions in this world like many Asian cultures? The family name is last? Because when a guy calls him "Kraft Lawerence", he says, you can just call me "Lawrence" Wouldn't it be better to just call him Kraft? Lawrence reminds me too much of Full Metal Jacket.

I'd also like to see Kraft get less flustered when he sees Holo naked.
Apr 18, 9:11 PM
Nov 2022
I didn't finish the first version of this because I was bored.

This one I might finish, but as a sleep aid.
Apr 19, 12:18 AM

May 2016
So it seems that not many people are enthusiastic about this remake.
Honestly in my personal opinion, this remake didn't need to exist, the first version was fine as it was.
And from reading the LN, it could have easily continued without missing any important details.

But to those wondering whether to watch this or the original and haven't seen any of either or read the manga or LN I'll give some non spoiler advice.
It's a romcom, but only in the loosest sense.
He gets flustered over every little thing she does, at least in the beginning.
She's basically the aggressor, kinda like those teasing romance shows we had a while back.
The main focus of the series, both original and this one (provided they stay true to the source like it was said) is basically a traveling merchant in the dark ages that meets up with a supposed god of the harvest and journey together where they get into trouble frequently and solve it with money and wit rather than violence.
The character interaction is the selling point of the series, and the lessons in economics, which they go into detail rather often.
But if this does decide to adapt the LN properly, this is going to be a LONG slog.
I've just finished the last non side story of the LN and it is insanely long and drawn out.
And if they also decide to adapt parts of the side story volumes.
Whew, better watch out for that one, because they are pointless and in some instances obnoxious.
And if you are a believer in any kind of faith (save for if you are Pagan) you will probably get annoyed at how often they take pot shots at the Church.
Apr 22, 11:27 AM

Aug 2011
Episode 4

And now, Lawrence does what any pro merchant would do, turning this whole silver scheme into a massive payday. All he needs to do is to have the Milone Trading Company agree and he will have the money needed to open his own shop. But that creates a conflict of interest seeing that it means Holo will either need to travel alone or stay put where Lawrence ends up settling. In the meantime, Medio sends some thugs out to prevent Lawrence from making the deal, but Lawrence manages to make it to the company. However, the discussion doesn't exactly go the way Lawrence wanted seeing that in agreeing to the deal, that would mean ditching Holo, who got captured by those thugs. Lawrence is surely in a tough position now realizing that Milone values profits above all, but he now sees just how important Holo is to him.
Apr 22, 11:51 AM

Oct 2022
Quite a bit of intrigue going on now, as a rival trading company wants to stop Lawrence from making that deal. But what actually is the point of trying to capture Holo and Lawrence, given that Lawrence already told Milone Trading about the scheme? And it seems Holo might know the person leading the thugs who captured her.
Apr 22, 12:50 PM

Feb 2019
Looked like he was almost about to have sexy time with Holo and they ruined it...
Apr 22, 2:57 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to Dosantsu
So it seems that not many people are enthusiastic about this remake.
Honestly in my personal opinion, this remake didn't need to exist, the first version was fine as it was.
And from reading the LN, it could have easily continued without missing any important details.

But to those wondering whether to watch this or the original and haven't seen any of either or read the manga or LN I'll give some non spoiler advice.
It's a romcom, but only in the loosest sense.
He gets flustered over every little thing she does, at least in the beginning.
She's basically the aggressor, kinda like those teasing romance shows we had a while back.
The main focus of the series, both original and this one (provided they stay true to the source like it was said) is basically a traveling merchant in the dark ages that meets up with a supposed god of the harvest and journey together where they get into trouble frequently and solve it with money and wit rather than violence.
The character interaction is the selling point of the series, and the lessons in economics, which they go into detail rather often.
But if this does decide to adapt the LN properly, this is going to be a LONG slog.
I've just finished the last non side story of the LN and it is insanely long and drawn out.
And if they also decide to adapt parts of the side story volumes.
Whew, better watch out for that one, because they are pointless and in some instances obnoxious.
And if you are a believer in any kind of faith (save for if you are Pagan) you will probably get annoyed at how often they take pot shots at the Church.
@Dosantsu I really enjoyed the original but I'm not really into the remake. I get why they decided to remake it rather than continue it but there's a lot of material it needs to retread and you can only deviate from it so much before it becomes a problem. So they're pretty much forced to do the same beat by beat as the original.

Also, yes, while I enjoyed the original there are parts where it drags when it gets really into the economic stuff. The original came out back in the fansub era and I remember there being on screen notes explaining some things.

That was back in the Before Times when shows had to have notes about Japanese culture and words so you got the references. There would sometimes be a series of on screen notes at the end of an episode to explain stuff. Like you would get notes explaining name suffix and what onee-chan meant.
Apr 22, 3:46 PM

Feb 2019
Reply to runec
@Dosantsu I really enjoyed the original but I'm not really into the remake. I get why they decided to remake it rather than continue it but there's a lot of material it needs to retread and you can only deviate from it so much before it becomes a problem. So they're pretty much forced to do the same beat by beat as the original.

Also, yes, while I enjoyed the original there are parts where it drags when it gets really into the economic stuff. The original came out back in the fansub era and I remember there being on screen notes explaining some things.

That was back in the Before Times when shows had to have notes about Japanese culture and words so you got the references. There would sometimes be a series of on screen notes at the end of an episode to explain stuff. Like you would get notes explaining name suffix and what onee-chan meant.
runec said:
That was back in the Before Times when shows had to have notes about Japanese culture and words so you got the references.
Sentai/HIDIVE still do that sometimes. I much prefer that to localization. If I am watching the subs, I'm weeb enough to want the original Japanese script and explain the cultural references to me. If I wanted localization, I would watch everything dubbed.
Apr 22, 11:43 PM

May 2016
runec said:
I really enjoyed the original but I'm not really into the remake. I get why they decided to remake it rather than continue it but there's a lot of material it needs to retread and you can only deviate from it so much before it becomes a problem. So they're pretty much forced to do the same beat by beat as the original.

That's the thing though.
Other than a few small unimportant details nothing has changed overly much from the original and LN that actually warrants the remake.
Sure, you could say "It needed to be more modern to appeal to a wider audience" kinda the same with the Urusei Yatsura, Trigun and Orphen remakes, but for Spice and Wolf the animation wasn't as gritty as older shows.
That being said, there was one important stop they skipped over in the original, but in the end all they would have to do is change a little tiny bit of the ending to make it all work.
But no, they are redoing the whole thing, including the parts that we have technically all seen and know about, probably to wind up in the exact same spot the previous left off and just drop it because they can't be assed finishing it.

runec said:

HOOfan_1 said:
Sentai/HIDIVE still do that sometimes. I much prefer that to localization. If I am watching the subs, I'm weeb enough to want the original Japanese script and explain the cultural references to me. If I wanted localization, I would watch everything dubbed.

Funimation still does it on some of the physical releases, but I haven't seen any on any of the more recently released ones.
The Funimation/Madman copy of Hozuki's Coolheadedness S1 has TONNES of translation notes in it.
And more than half of them are wrong.
But my favourite example of translation notes comes from the extras menu of Excel Saga.
There is an option in the extras menu where you can turn on or off translation notes that appear on screen.
Because Excel Saga is Excel Saga there are moments in the show where there are so many references and Japanese terms that the translation notes take up the whole screen.
And these aren't large boxes, they are small ones with a picture of Menchi next to it explaining what they are.
Apr 29, 11:28 AM

Aug 2011
Episode 5

With Lawrence backed into a corner, he makes a risky decision with the Milone Trading Company, and then puts the plan into motion to rescue Holo. Lawrence sneaks into the sewers underground, and then at the opening bell after going to the right place, waits to hear the password and then the hidden trapdoor opens where Holo jumps in, and then they return to the wagon. Among those involved in the kidnapping operation is Yarei, who is from Pasloe. The plan worked like a charm as a lot of preparation was put into place to make this happen.
Apr 29, 12:04 PM

Oct 2022
Milone Trading has quite the information network, so they are able to devise a plan to rescue Holo and have her and Lawrence elude her captors until the company's deal with the king can be finalized. But it seems Lawrence's friend Yarei is not as amicable as he seems. Now a battle of wits has begun between mentor and student.
Apr 30, 6:49 AM

Feb 2019
They kind of glossed over the part where Holo actually escaped. Obviously she was mad that it wasn't Lawrence who came to her rescue, but they didn't show how exactly she escaped.
May 1, 2:09 AM

Oct 2022
I started watching the original of this but only watched maybe two or three episodes. I just couldn't get into it, even with naked Holo. So I never really got why it's held in such high regard by some people.

Anyway I just binged all the eps today and it's been alright so far. It's not knocking my socks off or anything, but overall this has been a down season so it's certainly a step up compared to most of what's coming out now.

More scenes of naked Holo be nice since we haven't gotten any besides the first couple episodes.
Don't drive a car when you're dead - Tom Waits
May 1, 5:30 AM

May 2016
zkeleton said:
I started watching the original of this but only watched maybe two or three episodes. I just couldn't get into it, even with naked Holo. So I never really got why it's held in such high regard by some people.

Character interaction,the in depth look into how economics worked in the dark ages, religion and it's effect on communities,the trials and tribulations of the party, the "What if Pagan Gods existed" question and the fact fanservice isn't even a selling point unless you are strictly into that.
Oh, and furries of course.
May 6, 11:29 AM

Aug 2011
Episode 6

And just like that, Yarei comes after Lawrence and Holo as he has hired a bunch of mercenaries to track those two through the sewers. Seeing that they knew the layout of the sweres that it was quite easy for them to set up an ambush, and Lawrence gets stabbed. After running into a dead end, Holo feeds on Lawrence's blood and transforms into her wolf form to take out those hunters, and then give Yarei a good scare and beatdown. And when Lawrence wakes up, he is given a couple of rewards after Milone's trade deals went extremely well, but with the number of fees that the profit wasn't as big as he was expecting. But the second reward is quite substantial. And while Lawrence was recuperating, Holo went shopping and bought a bazillion or so apples, among other things. Things worked out in the end, but it almost didn't. With that, onto the next town.
May 6, 11:57 AM

Oct 2022
Looks like Lawrence and Yarei's friendship is over, as Lawrence gets stabbed by pursuers, forcing Holo to turn into her wolf form to scare them off and knock Yarei out cold. Milone Trading's deal with the king didn't yield a very substantial profit, but Medio Trading struck a deal with them to keep from going into debt. And that was an amusing way of deriving the series title at the end there, as Holo and Lawrence reunite.
May 6, 6:26 PM
Nov 2022
So when do they get isekaid and start a harem? That's required for shows these days.
May 6, 7:54 PM

Feb 2019
What exactly does turning Holo over to the church have to do with their money speculation scheme
May 6, 9:18 PM

Oct 2022
He said the thing!
May 7, 2:59 AM
Nov 2022
Reply to HOOfan_1
What exactly does turning Holo over to the church have to do with their money speculation scheme
@HOOfan_1 The merchant from the small town has a bee in his bonnet that the town was 'subservient' to Holo and he wants to end that chapter of their history.

Probably some kind of earned favors/reputation from doing it too.
May 13, 11:29 AM

Aug 2011
Episode 7

After an eventful sequence of events with the whole trade deal, the journey continues as Lawrence and Holo arrive in Ruvinheigen with Holo sporting a new outfit. Lawrence makes a deal to sell his stock of pepper, but before the deal can be completed, Holo spills a mug of wine after getting a little bit buzzed drinking it. As it turns out, that merchant was trying to pull a fast one by being the only sober person to make the deal, but his plot was foiled. And afterwards, Holo asks Lawrence to buy her some oil, but Lawrence isn't so eager as there's just no practical need for it. And after doing his business in Ruvinheigen, it's off to the next destination as Lawrence explains how tariffs make stuff more valuable to sell in some places than others, but they face a roadblock and instead take a detour where a bunch of wolves are waiting and at least Holo can talk with them. As for the person summoning those wolves, it's actually a shepherd and not a sorcerer. Pretty much, it's quick deal, and then they run into a shephed, but there's just something mysterious about her that remains to be seen.
May 13, 11:52 AM

Oct 2022
On to the next town, where Holo feigns drunkenness to expose a con involving an uneven table, which in turn affects any scales placed on it. While she's keeping her word at helping Lawrence make more profits, she can be quite the selfish goddess at times. Then it's off to the holy city of Ruvinheigen to sell some armor, but Holo and Lawrence have to take a detour, where they meet the shepherd Nora, who people evidently have been mistaking for a sorcerer that can summon wolves.
Galaxy-CrisisMay 20, 12:16 PM
May 20, 11:52 AM

Aug 2011
Episode 8

With Nora's help, Lawrence and Holo make their way to Ruvinheigen, which is the place where Lawrence learned to become a merchant. Here's there to sell his supply of armor that he got from Porosan as armor is in demand there with the large army that protects the town. And while in town he meets up with his "father" again in Jacob from Rowen Trading, who calls everybody in the company family. Lawrence got to know Nora more as she's an orphan who was raised by the church, but she's onto something. Next time something goes awry with the process to trade the armor he brought.
May 20, 12:23 PM

Oct 2022
Holo is clearly jealous of Nora, and not because she can keep wolves away from the Church's flock. Nora offers to accompany Holo and Lawrence to Ruvinheigen, where Lawrence catches up with his mentor before planning to sell the armor. But it seems there may be an issue with the armor that could complicate matters. Could Lawrence's goods be defective somehow, or is the person who sold the armor trying to get back at him and Holo for exposing his con by sabotaging his deal?
May 22, 5:07 PM

Oct 2022
I very much appreciate that they city they're in isn't just a walled round city with a castle in the middle.
May 25, 6:16 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to zkeleton
I very much appreciate that they city they're in isn't just a walled round city with a castle in the middle.
@zkeleton What if it had a stream running through it? It would be unique then, right? :P
May 27, 11:32 AM

Aug 2011
Episode 9

Last time there were some pretty ominous vibes in regards to the armor trade. As it turns out, the northern expedition was just cancelled, meaning that the armors are now unsellable. Lawrence took quite a huge loan hoping to cash in on the transport of the armors only for demand to suddenly fizzle out and putting Lawrence deep into debt and sends him into bankruptcy. So with two days left to come up with the money to repay the loan that was supposed to have been paid with the revenue from selling the armor, Lawrence turns to his father for advice, and while he won't provide the money, he will do whatever he can to support him. He tries to take on debt to pay off the debt, but that doesn't work as now the whole town is aware of how deep in the red Lawrence is. Lawrence is in big trouble now, but it looks like Holo has a plan to get him out of this mess.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible Discussion ( 1 2 )

HOOfan_1 - Jul 1

68 by marklebid »»
8 minutes ago

» A Nobody's Way Up to an Exploration Hero Discussion

runec - Jul 6

39 by HOOfan_1 »»
1 hour ago

» Alphabetical Location Game ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GridironOtaku - Oct 31, 2022

411 by Gafennec »»
4 hours ago

» Anime Alphabet ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CrashAriMP5N2O - Oct 23, 2022

1004 by Gafennec »»
4 hours ago

» Why Does Nobody Remember Me in This World? Discussion (Naze Boku no Sekai wo Daremo Oboeteinai no ka?)

MenchiK1 - Jul 13

35 by zkeleton »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.