Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 8, 2008 12:45 PM

Sep 2007
Are you tired of always being one in the shadows.
Have you made simfiles that you think are neatly done and fun to play?
Having trouble sharing it with others?
Well this is the thread for you then.

Simfileauthors, rejoice. Here starts your new era. This thread will not only discuss how to make simfiles, but also sharing them with others and getting their opinion. What can you do to be a better one?

Only within this thread lies the answer.
MrSanjuroSep 24, 2008 12:16 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 11, 2008 6:30 PM

May 2007
o: OSHIETEKUDASAI.
Jan 11, 2008 8:16 PM
Nov 2007
lol at ZoiQ's response

I think this thread is a good idea. Nobody ever leave comments on Bemanistyle and FFR so this will turn out to be really useful.
Jan 14, 2008 5:39 AM
Dec 2007
I finished one yesterday! I'm gonna go to my dad's to get my camera and make a vid of me playing it before I release the .dwi. It's made for the keyboard and I rated it an 11. I got a 91%. Hopefully some of you guys are pretty good! My profile on FFR is flashflashrevolution.com/profile/danny53x. You can view the steps here: http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/8673/irresistiblementyc6.png

I know it's only an edit to Irresistiblement off of 8th Mix (Extreme), but I've made others. Sometimes it's hard to get the right tempos for some songs because sometimes there is no steady beat. Anyway, I hope to see this club flourish with new members, experienced and inexperienced :]

Mar 2, 2008 1:20 PM

Sep 2007
I'm really bad at SM but I have fun making songs. This could be a great resource for me~!
Kudos for having a great idea. :D

All my stepfles can be found here: kirisame.awardspace.com.

Although, I must warn. The files are all separate and most of them are hosted somewhere really, really sucky. So the DL rates might be terrible. The newer ones (they are ordered by number) are hosted on mediafire and therefore should be faster. :3

I'm not really good at making them yet (even though I've made quite a bit) so please, some constructive criticism. ;3
NiacinamideMar 2, 2008 1:58 PM
Mar 2, 2008 3:27 PM

Sep 2007
Oh well, I guess I have to give some critics.

I played 1000% Sparking - Euro Mix - and Imperishable Screaming Show. Both of them were first off-synch. Synch is really important. I can write a guide later on how to synch songs.

Secondly, in Stepmania you should be able while playing follow something from the song. Like if theres a fast bass or the trance beat for example. There are times when you don't follow anything but make up your own kind of beat, but that still fits into the song. Well, that level is hard to reach in making so forget about it for now. Mostly, I couldn't tell what you were following, and cause of the off-synch there was a major stamp of "beginnermaker" on the songs.

My suggestion is to first learn how to synch your songs into perfection. Next thing is to learn how to follow something from the song. Next up is to see if you self are able to AA it, because when making a song your playinglevel depends on when making a song. It's easier for you to make a song that's on your level, example 8-9 and make it good.

Well, no worries. You got plenty of time in learning how to make songs.
Mar 2, 2008 4:32 PM

Sep 2007
Thank you for the advice! I'll work on syncing them and following the beat a little more closely.
Mar 13, 2008 2:21 AM
Jan 2008
OK guys, I need your opinion.
So far, i have made 2 simfiles. At first, it was just a request from a friend, since the song wasn't available as simfile. But then i think, why not share it with everyone?

The simfiles are quite ok if you ask me, all steps are synched with song rhythm. Videos are included as well.
But here's the catch. I only made Expert level, because me and my friends only play at that level now. And i'm too lazy to do the other difficulty levels. If you're able to get AA on all Jubo's Anime Simfiles at Expert, then you can do this for sure.

If anyone is interested, please tell me. The simfiles i have made are :
= Gundam 00 OP 1 - Daybreak's Bell by L'Arc~en~Ciel
= One Piece OP 5 - Kokoro no Chizu by Boystyle
Mar 13, 2008 4:00 AM

Sep 2007
So you need our opinion on them? Well, go ahead and post them. That is what this thread is for.
Mar 15, 2008 11:38 AM
Jan 2008
Oh, well here goes. The host is Mediafire.

Comment on them please :D
Thanks!

*yeah, the bbcode works :D
Mar 15, 2008 7:56 PM

Sep 2007
The code did, but the links didn't o.ô
Mar 16, 2008 1:17 AM
Jan 2008
That's weird. i have tried clicking it dozens of times, and it works just fine O_O
Try again, maybe the server was doing some maintenance back then...
Mar 16, 2008 7:44 AM

Sep 2007
Still refuses to connect me :|
Mar 17, 2008 12:35 AM
Jan 2008
Oh, ok. I'll try uploading them somewhere else.

Gundam 00 OP 1

One Piece OP 5
Mar 19, 2008 7:55 AM

Sep 2007
Sorry about the late reply, I have been """""""""""""busy""""""""""""".

About the simfile, the synch is correct and the bpm too. But rather apart from that, it's really chaotic. I cannot see/hear what you are following at times. To me, it seems like you're just spamming doubles here and there.

Well, it was kind of good except for being able to know what you are following. But besides that, I would rate it about 5-6.
Mar 26, 2008 8:57 AM
Jan 2008
well, if i don't use doubles, it would be too easy, at least in my opinion ^^

having doubles will force you to move faster to meet the next double, since double arrows take more time to recover after pressing. ah well, it ended up being pretty easy in the end :p

btw, i feel that jubo's anime simfiles are deteriorating these days. his edit levels are jokes, though. i think thats maybe because he used too many single arrows. ukug simfiles are good, it got us to serious mode to be able to get AA.

Thank you for the comment!
that helps me to make a better one. Before, i thought just making it hit the rhythm is enough, but i guess it needs some pattern ^^
Mar 27, 2008 4:06 PM

Sep 2007
Well, patterns make the song looks more professional. And it's true that doubles makes the song harder, but random doubles makes it looks like a total beginner have made it.

Well, I can see that you aren't a total beginner at making songs. Just keep it up, make songs which you can AA with not too much trouble. Those songs tends to be really good. The most important in a song is that it should be fun to play.
Apr 3, 2008 8:24 PM
Jan 2008
OK thanks.
BTW MrSanjuro, did you make any simfiles?
Right now not many simfiles are being produced and i'm starting to get bored playing the same songs X_X
Apr 9, 2008 12:01 PM

Sep 2007
Of course, I am an simfileauthor after all.

http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/profile.php?id=144790
Apr 13, 2008 12:35 AM
Jan 2008
Awesome! ^^
I'm going to try em out~
May 1, 2008 5:17 AM
Jan 2008
Oh yea, I just made 1 simfile recently. Took me around 3 days due to occasional loss of design for steps ^_^;;

Wasn't planning to do a simfile actually, but since the song's so catchy, I got dragged in.
I took your advice into consideration and try to use doubles in the correct places only.
I'm also aiming to make the song feel enjoyable like Jubo did, though I'm still a ways off before I can achieve that. When I researched his simfiles again, I realised that he put the steps at the right place, and some of them felt like they're producing the tunes itself.

Song : Tsuisou no Despair
Artist : Kanako Itou
Game : Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kizuna OP (A yet-to-be-released Nintendo DS game)
Level : Challenge/Expert only (still lazy)

Link at Bemanistyle :
http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=23760

Link at Mediafire :
http://www.mediafire.com/?x1ntatyw9jr

:)
May 1, 2008 11:12 AM

Sep 2007

Good improvement. Still felt like some part in the beginning was a bit off, but that may just be me.

You really like doubles huh?
May 1, 2008 4:17 PM
Jan 2008
Aha, the early part (before the stream) was designed like that. Instead of following normal beat, I made it sync with the drum beating sound at the back. I've tried making it like usual, but it just didn't match with the drum beating sound.

Oh? Is there a way to further reduce my doubles? The usual design that I come up with are typically like this : left-right-left-double, where the double is the part where drum beat is heard from the song. Maybe that's gotten old already.

The place I feel that there's several doubles packed together is after the long stream of right and up arrow. For that part, I just can't help myself from spamming :P

BTW, what theme did you use? Looks like AOI Projekt Blue (I'm using it) but its a bit different. The different thing is that screenshot is : The girl (Me got a green-haired girl for AA) and the top bar is diff.

EDIT : NVM, I found it :D Nice theme. XI Distortion.

P.S. WOW, there's some new themes over at stepmaniathings!! :D
rush_artMay 1, 2008 4:29 PM
May 10, 2008 2:07 AM
Jan 2008
Now I'm hooked to the XI Distortion theme :P

I'm leaving for college pretty soon, and here's my last simfile for the time being.

----- Song Details -----

Title : Sweet Love ~Kenzen Danshi ni Mono Mousu~
Artist : KOTOKO
Game : Tsuyokiss 2
Level : Challenge & Edit

http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=23870

Figured out how to use video banners, so I used it on this one.
I try to make this one to have an enjoyable feel to it.
Please comment ^_^
Good or bad, need fixing or not, etc.

I made another one before the Tsuyokiss simfile, but honestly I'm not really sure about it. It was done nicely, yet I have a strange feeling... *shivers*
I'll post it anyways.

----- Song Details -----

Title : Find The Blue
Artist : Kanako Itou
Game : Chaos;Head
Level : Challenge/Expert only

http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=23833

This one is a bit chaotic, especially during the chorus part. But if pressed quickly and precisely, the steps actually make sense :D
May 10, 2008 5:15 AM

Sep 2007
XI Distortion is indeed a great theme, but after using it for 4-5 months you tend to get a bit tired of it.

The video in the first song startled me, since I'm using a noteskin which is pretty colorful which made it hard to see them cause of the...video. :/

Pretty okay simfiles. I think your last one was better. Try to vary instead of making it that chaotic all the time. Like, do the verse non-chaotic and let the chorus be chaotic. It makes it funnier and looks better.
May 17, 2008 10:54 PM
Jan 2008
Hehe, looks like I'm not going to college yet, so I made another. Sorry for bothering you with these :D

Oh yeah, as for the simfiles uploaded before, I re-upped the simfile with a slightly better video included in the 10MB pack, and also made a 2nd version of their video (which is higher in quality and bigger) for those who are concerned with the quality. The links for the videos are in their respective simfile description.

4th sim at Bemanistyle.

---------- Song Details ----------

Title : Resonance
Artist : T.M. Revolution
Anime : Soul Eater
Level : Heavy (9) & Challenge (11)

http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=24020

OP of the anime Soul Eater.
Its my first time trying to make a heavy level simfile. Mind giving some comment, whether its too hard or too easy for heavy level. (Its a bit crappy because I don't know how hard it should be.)

LOL, I made another two, so here it goes. I guess I'll just edit this post.

5th sim at Bemanistyle.

Title : Special Life!
Artist : KOTOKO
Anime : Kamen no Maid Guy
Level : Heavy (8) & Challenge (10)

http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=24061

6th sim at Bemanistyle.

Title : CHU-BURA
Artist : KELUN
Anime : Bleach
Level : Heavy (9) & Challenge (11)

*This one has no freeze/hold at all. Yes, 695 pure taps. :D

http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=24062
rush_artMay 22, 2008 4:24 AM
Jun 14, 2008 5:19 AM

Sep 2007
I'm gonna try them...when I got time x_x
Jun 15, 2008 8:37 PM
Jan 2008
Oh, and I heard you're making a Simfile pack, thats great! :D
Good luck with it, hope it will be a blast! ;)
Jun 16, 2008 1:39 AM

Sep 2007
You can always send in some songs you've made. I have already gotten a few submissions from people.
Jun 19, 2008 10:08 PM
Jan 2008
Really? :D
How many songs per people?
I wanted to chose the best ones.
Jun 20, 2008 2:25 AM

Sep 2007
You can send in as many as you like, but max 3 from each person can come in the pack.
Jun 30, 2008 6:38 PM

Jun 2008
Well, I'm also a simfile author but I only make Pad steps. You can see the better group of my simfiles here http://neothe0ne.wordpress.com/ (at bemanistyle I have a lot more, but I'm not satisfied with the steps/audio/video/banner quality with all of those, so ignore those for the time being >_>)

MrSanjuro, can I have details about your Pack? Narrowing down to 3 songs actually wouldn't be too hard for me ^__^;;
Jun 30, 2008 7:30 PM

Sep 2007
Details? Alright

Any song is welcome. Any genre and any length of the song. Make whatever you want. I won't be too strict when judging, but I won't allow crappy simfiles to pass. I also got help from two friends when judging.

Deadline for submitting simfiles will be 6 weeks forward. You can send in max 10 songs per person, and max 3 songs from each person can be with (except for me 8) ). I plan on releasing it in about 2-3 months.

When submitting a simfile, banner/background/cdtitle is A MUST. Songs without any of these will not be accepted. If you're bad at making cdtitles, I can make one for you but it will be a plain one with only your name and no figure in it.

Other stuff.

1: A song with only one difficulty must be a +10 footer and over 3 minutes long.
2: A song that is shorter than 3 minutes must have at least two difficultys.
3: A song with no banner/background will not be allowed.
4: A song over 5 minutes (marathon) will be judged stricter due to that people may lack the will to make it good at the end.
5: Any songs that is submitted after 20 August will not be accepted.

I'll be traveling away this sunday (6th July) and will be gone to early August, so you got plenty of time unless you also have traveled away.

I'm gonna send this as a Private Message to everyone too.

//MrSanjuro
Oct 30, 2008 7:01 AM
Jan 2008
Currently working on a simfile for PSI-Missing, the opening to Toaru Majutsu no Index
Once its done i'll post it here for testing xD
I'm working in multiple phases so it will take a while.

Beat phase 90 %
Voice phase 0 %
Background phase 0 %
Oct 30, 2008 1:37 PM

Jan 2008
I am making an Index Stepfile too - so far 1 minute is completed - difficulty around 8-9
~five exclamation marks is the sure sign of an insane mind~
Oct 30, 2008 3:30 PM
Jan 2008
-N0iR- said:
I am making an Index Stepfile too - so far 1 minute is completed - difficulty around 8-9

You can say it pretty much turned into a joined project.
Since we've known each other for a long while it ended up in some sort of challenge who could make the best one..
And after that realised we had like 55 seconds of that 1 minute identical xD
Oct 31, 2008 5:18 AM

Jan 2008
And we are on a roll! - the first 70 seconds are done, timed and perfect - with quite alot of variation :D - 3 minutes to go
Nov 3, 2008 4:28 AM

Jan 2008
Almost done now - expect the release today or tomorow :D
Nov 3, 2008 12:41 PM

Jan 2008
And it is done!!!!

http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=26817

Anime: To Aru Majutsu no Index
Song: Psi-Missing
Artist: Kawada Mami
Difficulty: Hard 8
Made by: N0iR and Sabrac (Evilme)
Other info: It pwns

Please be gentle - it is our first stepfile ;) Constructive criticism appreciated

Go play it now !
-N0iR-Nov 3, 2008 12:45 PM
Nov 3, 2008 2:27 PM

Jun 2008
-N0iR- said:
And it is done!!!!

http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=26817

Anime: To Aru Majutsu no Index
Song: Psi-Missing
Artist: Kawada Mami
Difficulty: Hard 8
Made by: N0iR and Sabrac (Evilme)
Other info: It pwns

Please be gentle - it is our first stepfile ;) Constructive criticism appreciated

Go play it now !

You may want to look at my own file (http://www.bemanistyle.com/sims/simfile.php?id=26742) to understand more of my complaint below. The file is for pad which limits the extent to which I can step certain close sounds before becoming physically impossible, but it's definitely got a better sense of rhythm than your file.

Posted on bms, will post here too:
Please upload the SM file in the future so people can preview the chart before dl. The one, 8 footer chart: rainbow arrows = bad. All those arrows should only be red, blue, and yellow, as they should all fall on 4th, 8th, and 16th beats. There are no ubiquitous funky 32nds or 12ths or 24ths in the song, so adjust your offset. Also, I thought I read on MAL that there would be an instrumental layer: I don't see it. This is way too karaoke for even a Pad chart, let alone KB.
Nov 3, 2008 3:38 PM

Jan 2008
No offense - but being kareoke is exactly the POINT - I tried your version actually - and to me everything seem off. I think it is a shame to use repetitive background beats, that no-one can hear anyways - instead of the actual singing, which is that which you humn, when you humn the song and that which you remember.

Every step is designated to an easily hearable sound in this version - about the colors - that is a minor thing, that shouldn't really bother anyone - besides teal is pretty

Also this version is designed for keyboard only.

And btw - don't misunderstand me - I do not think this sim-file is perfect, or that I know better and stuff. It's just that we made it this way on purpose.
-N0iR-Nov 3, 2008 3:50 PM
Nov 3, 2008 3:43 PM
Jan 2008
neothe0ne said:
Also, I thought I read on MAL that there would be an instrumental layer: I don't see it. This is way too karaoke for even a Pad chart, let alone KB.

Was cancelled after i gave up my own project and joined n0ir instead.
Nov 3, 2008 4:01 PM

Jun 2008
-N0iR- said:
I think it is a shame to use repetitive background beats, that no-one can hear anyways...Every step is designated to an easily hearable sound in this version...

It'll be easier for me to point out measures where I have no idea what you are listening to, rather than measures where obvious sounds were not stepped that is not part of the "repetitive background beats":
See measures 23, 32-33, 51, 63, 72-73, 138-140

Also I have no idea what your jumps go to, it seems to just randomly be single or jump depending on how you felt at the second.
Nov 3, 2008 9:04 PM

Sep 2007
I also tried the simfile, and this is my rating for it.

2.5/10. ;_;

First, make sure to synch it. It was a bit off-synch, and really off-beat. It was really ugly seeing all those beige arrows. Red, blue and yellow arrows are used most.

Then you must decide, should this be a PAD file or a Keyboard file? Or both? Those quadholds came really from nowhere and made me go "WTF". Avoid those for easier simfiles.

Also, try to vary a bit. It became really boring after awhile to follow the vocals only. Listen to the song, find a nice sound to follow or try to mix jumps, holds and singles so that they follow.

Make a cdtitle too. And fix your banner. Seeing the file without a banner/cdtitle leaves a big mark of "NOOB" on it. No offense.
Nov 4, 2008 12:23 AM
Jan 2008
MrSanjuro said:

Make a cdtitle too. And fix your banner. Seeing the file without a banner/cdtitle leaves a big mark of "NOOB" on it. No offense.

I'm personally anything but skilled at photoshop/paintshop so making a cdtitle was pretty much impossible for me xD

But will keep it in mind for the next attempt.

The entire song was just a try out anyway.
Personally i didn't think it was quite accurate and most of the time i have no idea why certain simfiles are made like that (seems like they used a karaoke version to make the sim or so).

Going to try Pre-Parade this time, alone xD , keeping these hints in mind.
Nov 4, 2008 5:28 AM

Sep 2007
If you want, I can make you a cdtitle. I can do some pretty okay photoshop works. Just send me a small chibi picture of a char you want to have in it and the name you use as author. For the banner, it doesn't have to be anything astonishing. Just the name written in paint with a small picture from the background is good. Just make sure that the font and color matches a bit with the picture at least. :p

This is my cdtitle.
Nov 4, 2008 6:21 AM

Jan 2008
MrSanjuro said:

First, make sure to synch it. It was a bit off-synch, and really off-beat. It was really ugly seeing all those beige arrows. Red, blue and yellow arrows are used most.

Im not really sure what you mean here - first of all - all the arrows are TEAL on my pc, and red/blue/yellow arrows where all off-sync. I played the entire song through on 0.5 speed with *claps* to check, and to me they match perfectly, so I dont see why they shouldnt for you... (this is ofc if you try to match it to the VOICE and not the background beat)

MrSanjuro said:

Then you must decide, should this be a PAD file or a Keyboard file? Or both? Those quadholds came really from nowhere and made me go "WTF". Avoid those for easier simfiles.

well - It is designed for keyboard - and it says so on the site aswell - so I don't see this as a problem

MrSanjuro said:

Also, try to vary a bit. It became really boring after awhile to follow the vocals only. Listen to the song, find a nice sound to follow or try to mix jumps, holds and singles so that they follow.

I am not sure what you are getting at here too - there was pleeeenty of variation in this song - the singing passages was ofcause bound by the fact that I followed the voice, but if I were to change this mid way it would just be weird and forced. You could say the same about using a sound as you suggest - wouldnt that be at least as boring after a while?

There are plenty of non-singing passages using non-singing sounds, that stand out - actually only 50% of the song has singing in it - and I had alot of mixing when it came to jumps holds and singles.

so basically I do not understand what the problem is other than that I did not use the background beat, which imo often is very hard to hear and thus less intuitive.

Now this is not to sound clever or anything but I really dont get it - what is it that is wrong? I really want to know incase I want to make another (kareoke) song in the future
-N0iR-Nov 4, 2008 6:28 AM
Nov 4, 2008 1:56 PM

Jun 2008
Noir: The problem is primarily 3 things the way I see it.

1) Offbeat arrows. The primary downbeat MUST be a Red 4th arrow if you want your simfile to be taken seriously. Also, your arrows are primarily orange (32nd), purple (12th), and pink (24th). There is no teal arrow in StepMania's default rhythm colors.

2) When there are vocals, you act like the bgm doesn't exist. This does not work because you are generally supposed to step to prominent sounds. There are many cases of percussion that are not part of the repetitive background in PSI-missing which you ignored, and you also made a couple of streams to background sounds which are harder to hear than anything I stepped in my pad file (see measure 32: i'm pretty sure you just pulled that stream out of thin air because I don't here anything in the song like that)

3) Random single/jump placements. You should choose a consistent beat/sound and/or accented sounds to make jumps. At the moment, it seems to me that jumps are just randomly placed without any musical backing to the decision.

If you fix those 3 things, it'd be a much better file. Also, this is something many Pad (and KB, in some of the more prominent simming communities) are going to complain about: If you're making a simfile that's below 10 footer, it should be Paddable, meaning that there should be no doublestepping and no jump jacks.
Nov 7, 2008 12:51 PM
Jan 2008
After using the comments you guys gave me i decided to start a new song.
Sure hope you guys like it this time

----- Song Details -----

Title : Closer
Artist : Inoue Joe
Anime: Naruto Shippuuden
Level : Standard, Hard & Expert ( I like hard best though xD)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QZ4U2SO1

Couldn't upload the file to bemanistyle cause it was 39.78 mb (i kinda found a huge video file and couldn't find a lower quality version).
Any comments will be welcome xD.
Also added a selfmade CdTitle, im still a noob at photoshop (2 hours experience now xD) so it might be a little off.
Nov 7, 2008 1:52 PM

Sep 2007
lol sorry, forgot totally about the cdtitle. ;_;

I'll make it tonight.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» how do you play

kaiten - Sep 16, 2008

16 by Rempie »»
Jan 2, 2014 2:15 PM

» What speed modifier do you use?

jujubeeza - Jan 22, 2009

32 by Detrimentalist »»
Jul 30, 2012 7:33 PM

» How Fast Are You?

kaiten - Dec 30, 2009

15 by NixXSkate »»
Dec 19, 2010 7:02 PM

» Difficulty

Mink - Jun 20, 2008

32 by Detrimentalist »»
Jul 12, 2010 7:20 PM

» Show movies of you playing here

Theorys - Mar 9, 2008

7 by Detrimentalist »»
Jul 8, 2010 9:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.