Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 2, 9:52 AM

Aug 2011

https://myanimelist.net/anime/57334/

Plot Summary

After being aggressively rejected, Momo Ayase finds herself sulking when she stumbles across a boy being bullied. Saved by her rash kindness, the alien-obsessed boy attempts to speak to her about extraterrestrial interests he believes they share. Rejecting his claims, Ayase proclaimed that she instead is a believer in ghosts, starting an argument between the two over which is real.

In a bet to determine who is correct, the two decide to separately visit locations associated with both the extraterrestrial and the supernatural—Ayase visiting the former and the boy visiting the latter. When the two reach their respective places, it turns out that neither was wrong and that both aliens and ghosts do exist.

This marks the beginning of Ayase and the boy's adventure, as they attempt to fix the surreal, supernatural, and extraterrestrial elements around them to return to a normal life.

Other Information

Type: TV
Episodes: Unknown
Aired: Oct 4, 2024 to ?
Premiered: Fall 2024
Broadcast: Fridays at 00:26 (JST)
Previewed: Jul 7, 2024
Producers: Aniplex, Mainichi Broadcasting System
Licensors: GKIDS
Studios: Science SARU
Source: Manga
Genres: Action, Comedy, Supernatural
Demographic: Shounen
Duration: Unknown
Rating: None
boldulyssesOct 2, 4:46 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 2, 10:02 AM

Aug 2011
Seeing that there are going to be a ton of shows starting on Thursday, and not to mention I watched the first three episodes already in theaters while they also leaked that I'll go ahead and put this show thread up.

As this show is done by Science Saru, known for their exaggerative animation style, I can expect things to get out of hand, and that's exactly what happens in the first three episodes. The MCs are Okarun, a nerdy occult enthusiast who believes that aliens exist as his enthusiasm gets the better of him as he's cursed by a spirit called the Turbo Granny, and Momo, who is also interested in spirits and is drawn to the boy because he just so happens to have the same name as a real-life actor (who passed away a decade ago, by the way). And from thereon out, it's just one crazy adventure after another as Okarun's junk is at stake in all this madness.

So what happens in these episodes?

So in all, it's absolutely insane what's going on here, and it's all well-animated. The Turbo Granny is quite the monstrosity, and I'll just leave it at that.
Oct 2, 4:45 PM

Aug 2018
You guys are not ready for this.

(avid manga reader here)

I've watched several of the episodes already, and it's an absolutely fantastic adaptation.

Will be interesting to see if CR censors anything from ep.1 in particular.
Away from the things of man, my love, away from the things of man.
Oct 2, 7:08 PM

Feb 2019
boldulysses said:

(avid manga reader here)

Is it anything like Dark Gathering?
Oct 2, 8:14 PM

Aug 2018
HOOfan_1 said:

I never watched that, but from the description, kind of? Dandadan is just 100%, balls-to-the-wall, crazy energy and insane situations. And there's a comedic angle to everything as well.
Oct 2, 8:14 PM

Aug 2011
Reply to HOOfan_1
boldulysses said:

(avid manga reader here)

@HOOfan_1 I can say that Dark Gathering is a pretty tame show compared to this. I would say that it's more comparable to FLCL.
Yesterday, 6:05 AM

Aug 2018
GridironOtaku said:
I would say that it's more comparable to FLCL.

Yeah that's a good comparison. A paranormal FLCL. Dandadan is a bit more straightforward, though, I think. There is some internal consistency to the universe, whereas I felt like FLCL was just random, 100% about "the vibe."
Yesterday, 6:31 AM

Feb 2019
boldulysses said:
I felt like FLCL was just random, 100% about "the vibe."

and this is the reason I never liked FLCL...random for the sake of being random
Yesterday, 10:21 AM

Jan 2017
I’m aware the first six episodes leaked but I didn’t bother. I already knew we were in for great after seeing the stacked staff.

Glad to see this first episode still managed to make me say WTF like the manga did for me.
I'm a cultured degenerate.
Yesterday, 10:37 AM

Aug 2018
So good. CR didn't censor anything (!). The anime perfectly captures the manga's kineticism, and (of course) adds vivid colors, sound & top-notch voice acting.

It's amazing how much ground this first episode covers. We get introduced to the two mains, get some backstory that makes us invested, give them a chance to develop some chemistry, and establish the paranormal stakes---all in 24 minutes including OP & ED. And it feels un-rushed and totally natural (well, as natural as Dandadan could). And everything is hand-drawn, including the UFO (UAP!) crash.
boldulyssesYesterday, 11:25 AM
Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Oct 2022
Yup, you guys were right, that was quite good.
Don't drive a car when you're dead - Tom Waits
Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Sep 2019
Too crazed, no immersion.
Yesterday, 12:34 PM

Aug 2018
Couple more notes:

Momo's obsession with Ken Takakura is really endearing, like (what you assume) is a superficial, ditzy girl fantasizing about a Robert Redford or Paul Newman over any of the current crop of heartthrobs & teen idols.

Watched some of the dub, and it's actually really well done. Well cast (Momo's English VA really shines), and none of the interactions have that off-putting quality dubs often have when going from Japanese to English inflections. I....may watch it instead, since it's released simultaneously. Maybe.
Yesterday, 1:16 PM

Oct 2022
Wow. That was awesome. (Except for the OP music, which unfortunately sucks, but that's just me. If it had a great OP this would have been perfect.)

As Boldulysses notes, the progression of the characters and their relationship and acquisition of powers/curses somehow happens to be both frenetic and believable in such a limited timeframe. It was a blast to experience.

Leave the show at "Yes! I'm in!" and now I have a minor question:

What is it with Japanese UFOs and that "three balls in a hat" design? They use it all the time (like Cromarti and it must be referencing something, but I have no idea what.

SparkyBobYesterday, 2:18 PM
Yesterday, 2:33 PM

Oct 2022
SparkyBob said:
Wow. That was awesome. (Except for the OP music, which unfortunately sucks, but that's just me. If it had a great OP this would have been perfect.)

Yeah, the opening song is a bit awkward, starting with one beat and then going into a completely different rhythm. Then again, I'm probably too used to the group's earlier OP, "Bling-Bang-Bang-Born."
Failure is always an option.
Yesterday, 3:13 PM
Oct 2022
Holy Shit! Holy Shit! that was an awesome first episode and when he gave her his name, perfection.
Yesterday, 5:53 PM
May 2016
Reply to SparkyBob

As Boldulysses notes, the progression of the characters and their relationship and acquisition of powers/curses somehow happens to be both frenetic and believable in such a limited timeframe. It was a blast to experience.

Leave the show at "Yes! I'm in!" and now I have a minor question:

What is it with Japanese UFOs and that "three balls in a hat" design? They use it all the time (like Cromarti and it must be referencing something, but I have no idea what.

SparkyBob said:

Look up Kofu incident, it's like Japan's Roswell and the two boys made a drawing of the UFO that looks like that.

https://note.com/gentle_lilac47/n/nfba2be270e4c

And yes the OP sucked, a miss for Creepy Nuts after their hit with the OP of Call of the Night.
MenchiK1Yesterday, 6:21 PM
Yesterday, 5:59 PM
May 2016
Reply to HOOfan_1
boldulysses said:
I felt like FLCL was just random, 100% about "the vibe."

and this is the reason I never liked FLCL...random for the sake of being random
@HOOfan_1

I love FLCL, I thought it's "random" stuff was great, most of them were just homages to stuff. (South Park, the Bunny Girl from Gainax's Daicon shorts, etc.) If you didn't get the references it might look random I guess.
Yesterday, 6:03 PM
May 2016
Loved it, finally something good this season. Momo is already favorite girl of the season. Not so sure about the Otaku guy, hope it doesn't turn into a nerd wish fulfillment though since he already has the same name as her dream guy it sure seemed that way (though I guess it would be hard to date someone without a weiner).
Yesterday, 6:09 PM

Oct 2022
Oh, Crunchyroll has the English dub, too. I thought the dub was exclusive to Netflix.
Failure is always an option.
Yesterday, 6:50 PM

Feb 2019
Yeah this feels more like Mob Psycho or Mieroku-chan than FLCL.

Ayase reminds me a bit of Nobara from Jujutsu Kaisen
HOOfan_13 hours ago
Yesterday, 7:23 PM
Simp4SpookyGirls

Oct 2018
Reply to HOOfan_1
Yeah this feels more like Mob Psycho or Mieroku-chan than FLCL.

HOOfan_1 said:

Thought the same thing. Okarun reminds me of Dib from Invader Zim.

I saw the first 3 eps at the movies last month & read the first 2 vols of the manga as part of an Interest Stack challenge. I expect to stay with this one.
Yesterday, 7:48 PM

Aug 2024
Bad otherworlders are rapist, this only can be a trashy isekai.

SparkyBob said:

Is the classic american pop culture flying saucer, David Vincent knows.
Yesterday, 7:52 PM
May 2016
Reply to W_Baumeister

SparkyBob said:

Is the classic american pop culture flying saucer, David Vincent knows.
@W_Baumeister

The 3 ball landing gear make it Japanese, Daa! Daa! Daa!, Little Lies We All Tell, Psycho Electric Girl to Ground Control, etc.
MenchiK1Yesterday, 8:09 PM
Yesterday, 8:43 PM

Oct 2022
HOOfan_1 said:

Yes! I was trying to think who she reminded me of.

And thank you to MenchiK1 for the Kofu Incident explanation of Japanese UFO pop culture. Now I can sleep nights.
6 hours ago

May 2016
Well thank you to the people who said that the group that did the OP for Call of the Night did the OP for this one too.
Now I know for sure to skip the OP for this show.
If I can be bothered watching it.
Wasn't really a fan of FLCL either.
4 hours ago

Aug 2018
W_Baumeister said:

It's not an isekai; nobody's gone to another world.

SparkyBob said:
(Except for the OP music, which unfortunately sucks, but that's just me. If it had a great OP this would have been perfect.)

Yeah the OP's nothing to write home about, especially compared to the Call of the Night OP, done by the same band. Maybe if it sounded more like the OP to Eizouken, it would have worked better?

I think my favorite part of this episode might just be this one:

Momo has just awakened her psychic powers, kicked an alien's ass, blasted Turbo Granny out of Okarun, survived a flying saucer crash landing, and then just kicks the door open and singlehandedly hauls Okarun out. All in her underwear.
boldulysses4 hours ago
1 hour ago

Aug 2024
boldulysses said:

It's not an isekai; nobody's gone to another world.

I have to agree with that. Most aliens are earthlings.
12 minutes ago

May 2016
W_Baumeister said:
I have to agree with that. Most aliens are earthlings.

Other worlder in Isekai means from a parallel world that does not exist in our universe.
Aliens exist in our universe so it's not an Isekai.
And no one was teleported to another world either.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Mecha-Ude: Mechanical Arms Discussion

zkeleton - 10 hours ago

4 by marklebid »»
3 minutes ago

» Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online II Discussion

GridironOtaku - 2 hours ago

1 by GridironOtaku »»
10 minutes ago

» 365 Days to the Wedding Discussion

Galaxy-Crisis - Yesterday

15 by boldulysses »»
49 minutes ago

» How I Attended an All-Guy's Mixer ◊ Discussion

SeleneOnTheMoon - 2 hours ago

1 by SeleneOnTheMoon »»
2 hours ago

» Mission: Yozakura Family Discussion

GridironOtaku - Apr 8

37 by GridironOtaku »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.