Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 26, 2008 9:29 AM

Jun 2008
Mine is definitely True Remembrance. EVERYTHING about that game is as close to perfect as amateur work can get. The writing is extremely well done, the art is high-quality and feels like something out of a real visual novel, the music is emotional, but most importantly, the story is amazing. It's got a unique premise, it develops in a well-paced manner thanks to the skillful writer, and it reaches a conclusion that's both bittersweet yet hopeful. It's hard to explain, but it's a REALLY good game, trust me.

Other note-worthy games include Red Shift, A Dream of Summer, and Ballad of an Evening Butterfly.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 4, 2009 9:42 PM

Jan 2009
I am also playing that. It is amazing the storyline is solid. I wish that they would make more visual novels like this.
Nov 7, 2009 6:36 AM

Oct 2009
I don't know if they're japanese doujins, since I played with english text (Still jap. audio)

But my favourite ones are probably Fate/stay Night, Shuffle, Utawarerumono, Da Capo and Hinata Bokko O:

As something random to add: I really loathe G-Collection translations, they have so poor fonts and menus it hurts my eyes D:
Nov 12, 2009 7:13 AM
Sep 2009
Well, as far as I know, none of the ones you posted are doujins. One might argue with Fate/Stay Night, but it was created after TYPE-MOON became a commercial company, you know- the only real doujin they have is Tsukihime.

My favourite? It's obviously... OMGWTFOTL!!

GENUFLECT OR DIE!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines[/center
Nov 12, 2009 9:12 AM

Jun 2008
OMGWTFOTL is the best thing to make random, out-of-context references to. It's a meme and a game at the same time XD
Nov 12, 2009 12:13 PM

Oct 2009
Cruel_Love said:
Well, as far as I know, none of the ones you posted are doujins. One might argue with Fate/Stay Night, but it was created after TYPE-MOON became a commercial company, you know- the only real doujin they have is Tsukihime.

GENUFLECT OR DIE!!!

They're not Doujins? O:

Then I guess I'll have to read some about what doujins are, since it's obviously not what I thought it was D:

Anyways, they're good games :3

Edit: I read at wikipedia, and I still think it looks like those games are doujins.
Please explain to me why you don't think so :D (Since I'm apparently lost here :3)
AzathothNov 12, 2009 12:21 PM
Nov 12, 2009 12:52 PM

Jun 2008
Azathoth said:
Cruel_Love said:

GENUFLECT OR DIE!!!

They're not Doujins? O:

Then I guess I'll have to read some about what doujins are, since it's obviously not what I thought it was D:

Edit: I read at wikipedia, and I still think it looks like those games are doujins.
Please explain to me why you don't think so :D (Since I'm apparently lost here :3)

Nah, they're not doujins. I don't know precisely where the line is drawn between amateur and professional, but companies like Circus and Leaf are well-established, and games like Da Capo have tremendous amounts of merchandise (as well as anime adaptations). They're "legitimate" games with a budget and profit, not hobby-centric indie games.
Nov 12, 2009 2:06 PM

Oct 2009
_ETERNAL said:
Azathoth said:
Cruel_Love said:

GENUFLECT OR DIE!!!

They're not Doujins? O:

Nah, they're not doujins. I don't know precisely where the line is drawn between amateur and professional, but companies like Circus and Leaf are well-established, and games like Da Capo have tremendous amounts of merchandise (as well as anime adaptations). They're "legitimate" games with a budget and profit, not hobby-centric indie games.

Oh, so you mean like... The titles made by.. well... people (Not a company who does it for extreme profit) isn't considered doujin? O:
Or was it the other way around? xD
Nov 12, 2009 2:11 PM

Jun 2008
If it's made by a "person" and distributed at Comiket or a similar event, then it's a doujin. That's just a generalization, but that's usually how it works. Some doujin games become popular (Tsukihime) and allow the creators to become professionals.
Nov 12, 2009 5:13 PM
Sep 2009
Simply put, doujins are any work that is associated with a visual novel, or manga (I've NEVER seen an doujin anime, although I've seen adaptations BASED on doujin work) but not created by an established commercial company.

For example, Tsukihime is considered a doujin because at the time, TYPE-MOON was a group, not a company. Fate/Stay Night isn't a doujin, because TYPE-MOON was a company at the time. Get it?

Also, because of this, not all amateur games are doujin- the quality isn't a depending factor on this.

And not all doujins are distributed at Comkiet- some of them are simply distributed over the internet.

P.S. Wait.. you make references to OMGWTFOTL? You DEFINITELY have problems...

P.S.S. I also liked Moonshine and LEAVEs as well, both from altogether 2008 festival. They're tales that are warming to your heart.
Cruel_LoveNov 12, 2009 5:21 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines[/center
Nov 13, 2009 7:37 AM

Oct 2009
Cruel_Love said:
Simply put, doujins are any work that is associated with a visual novel, or manga (I've NEVER seen an doujin anime, although I've seen adaptations BASED on doujin work) but not created by an established commercial company.

For example, Tsukihime is considered a doujin because at the time, TYPE-MOON was a group, not a company. Fate/Stay Night isn't a doujin, because TYPE-MOON was a company at the time. Get it?

Also, because of this, not all amateur games are doujin- the quality isn't a depending factor on this.

And not all doujins are distributed at Comkiet- some of them are simply distributed over the internet.

P.S. Wait.. you make references to OMGWTFOTL? You DEFINITELY have problems...

P.S.S. I also liked Moonshine and LEAVEs as well, both from altogether 2008 festival. They're tales that are warming to your heart.

I think I got it :D
Thank you, but... then what do you call the work from a company?
Nov 16, 2009 12:11 PM

Oct 2009
Although I have not finished it yet but I really liked Brass Restoration^^. If you have not played it yet you should give it a try ;)
Nov 16, 2009 12:41 PM

Oct 2009
Jun1986 said:
Although I have not finished it yet but I really liked Brass Restoration^^. If you have not played it yet you should give it a try ;)

I should do that. Have had it downloaded for a few months, but never actually bothered to play.

By the way. Just got to play Tsukihime, it's great :D
Took me a long tome to get to play it, since I really didn't like the anime. But... what a HUGE difference :P

Just completed my third route as I write this :D
Nov 16, 2009 3:57 PM

Nov 2007
Kind of late, but doujin is actually simply a term that refer to a group of people with similar hobby. It just happens that the term has been adopted by the ACG industry. It's not limited to just manga and games, but also includes CGs, anime, music, light novels, and more (see Touhou for example). The antithesis of doujin would probably be commercial. You usually can't find doujin merchandise in stores or websites like amazon and getchu, only on their website or a convention that promotes these material.
Nov 19, 2009 1:50 PM

Oct 2009
Azathoth said:

By the way. Just got to play Tsukihime, it's great :D
Took me a long tome to get to play it, since I really didn't like the anime. But... what a HUGE difference :P

Just completed my third route as I write this :D

Hahah I know exactly what you mean^^ You know most who have played the visual novel of Tsukihime use to say "theres no Tsukihime anime" :p
Nov 22, 2009 1:35 PM

Jun 2008
Jun1986 said:

Brass Restoration was great! It took me a while to get into it, but it's a surprisingly unique story. It's tragic, but warming.
Nov 26, 2009 5:55 PM
Sep 2009
Ah yes... Touhou was, no *is* awesome.

As for now.. I'm barely trying to make more disk space to play anything else again... Ugh.
Aug 22, 2010 1:30 AM

Aug 2010
_ETERNAL said:
Mine is definitely True Remembrance. EVERYTHING about that game is as close to perfect as amateur work can get. The writing is extremely well done, the art is high-quality and feels like something out of a real visual novel, the music is emotional, but most importantly, the story is amazing. It's got a unique premise, it develops in a well-paced manner thanks to the skillful writer, and it reaches a conclusion that's both bittersweet yet hopeful. It's hard to explain, but it's a REALLY good game, trust me.

actually i disagree with you on the art very strongly at least in terms of the character art style. I think I wasn't used to the style but whatever the reason is, the art didn't appeal to me and it almost made me drop this VN. (the scenery was good though) good thing i never did because I really really really loved it. storyline wise, my favorite VN ever. not just doujin just VNs overall. really fantastic. really amazing. haha i don't know i can't think coherently when it comes to TR.

so yeah, my vote goes to TR. lol.
appleadayAug 22, 2010 1:35 AM
disclaimer: i don't own any of the graphics/pictures.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Anime Blog VN!

twinkythebear - Jul 31, 2009

1 by _eternal »»
Oct 18, 2009 12:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.