Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 8, 2008 9:42 PM
Oct 2007
Okay, so in the first episode, there is a question that the man asks the woman. Who is the main character.
So after looking at the incomplete character list on MAL (since the complete list of characters is absurdly long, its okay), I came up with this idea.

Who IS the main character? Pretty much this is an open-ended question without an answer, because almost all the immortals (yes even Czes) can be considered as THE main character.

This topic is to see which ONE character in your opinion, is the main character. The one the story (anime) is centered upon.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 8, 2008 9:54 PM

Jan 2007
My first reaction is Firo, but I have no backing for that. Just a gut response.

Isaac and Miria are undeniably important, though I don't know if they're the MAIN characters.

I don't know.
Apr 11, 2008 9:33 PM

Apr 2008
hounddog said:
My first reaction is Firo, but I have no backing for that. Just a gut response.

Isaac and Miria are undeniably important, though I don't know if they're the MAIN characters.

I don't know.

I'd actually say Isaac and Miria are the main characters, but no backing for that either.

To be honest, I like the fact that this is not an easy answer; it shows how almost all the characters are so well developed to the point where it's impossible to say which one is more important.

Apr 14, 2008 4:28 PM
Oct 2007
Very true.

If I had to pick one, it would definately be Rail Tracer/Vino.
After hearing his moving speech of how the world surrounds him (such an self-centered view... lol), I was somewhat astonished I guess, to be able to claim that and back it up to the point of making others believe.

All the characters are really well developed.

May 15, 2008 6:28 AM
Jul 2007
I think Isaac and Miria are, because all the main events always occur around them.
May 15, 2008 11:22 AM

Nov 2007
I don't think there is ONE main character. The entire show is a string of several different plots, each with its own main character(s).

Isaac and Miria do string them all together, but they're not the main characters of any of the plots other than their own.
May 15, 2008 10:54 PM
Oct 2007
There is no absolute answer to this question, which makes it debatable/talkable.
Even though Isaac and Miria have absolutely no real point there but for comedy. They do not forward the plot very much, but regardless,

Isaac and Miria do have a mission underneath their joyous scavengers. lol :D anyways. :P

Jul 25, 2008 12:29 AM

Jun 2008
Wow this is a tough one... Isaac and Miria do seem to be involved with everything, so they might be the main characters. I would like to say that Luck is the main character, but I don't really have anything to back that up, other than he is Luck Gandor.
Aug 15, 2008 6:21 AM

Feb 2008
Maiza
Because the demon (I think his name was Gerd - but we find him as Luck Gandor afterwards in the last episode) gave him the secret of immortality, which he shared with the others afterwards.

On another hand, it could be the demon himself, because without the immortality potion, we would have no immortals to hunt/fear each other XDXP
Sep 13, 2008 6:49 AM

Mar 2008
Hard question here. I think it's the entire cast of characters which is the main character in this show. Some appears more than others, but they're all important for the story so...
Sep 15, 2008 8:48 PM
Oct 2007
haha thats kind of the main point. Which character is the main character... or the mainest character at least.

Oct 13, 2008 4:35 PM
Aug 2008
iary said:
Maiza
Because the demon (I think his name was Gerd - but we find him as Luck Gandor afterwards in the last episode) gave him the secret of immortality, which he shared with the others afterwards.

On another hand, it could be the demon himself, because without the immortality potion, we would have no immortals to hunt/fear each other XDXP

Thanks for confirming that. There were so many characters, I kept asking myself, "Is Luck Gandor really the blond demon, or is that someone else?"

Has everyone seen the OVA's three episodes?

Spoiler for eps. 14,15,16:
Oct 15, 2008 3:22 PM
Oct 2007
I actually thought Luck was someone else than the Demon.

I don't think that someone with so little show time could actually be the main character though... although truthfully, the creators of Baccano did go through a lot and made it concise and pin point, which then makes the story so very difficult to decipher and figure out.

I'm thinking that the vice chief would never show himself to anyone... he doesn't even do so... to you the audience >.> every time you see him he is behind the stacks... Why should he make his appearance in such a manner that does not seem right... >.> I dont know >.> lol =P

Feb 13, 2009 12:19 AM

Oct 2007
I couldn't help thinking that the Newspaper dude with blond hair was the demon. I just couldn't figure out who the main character is.

There's like more than five main characters.

The main one I would have to choose is Maize.
Mar 22, 2009 3:52 PM

Jun 2008
There is certainly no main character, but Isaac and Miria would definitely be the supporting characters. Maiza would be the main character if the story was straight forward.
Jul 15, 2009 4:03 PM

Apr 2009
gut felling says Firo.
brain says there is no main character
Jul 18, 2009 1:30 AM
Dec 2008
seann said:
gut felling says Firo.
brain says there is no main character

Jep, and that's right! There's no main character^^
Even though we burn all memories, the ashes will always remain.
Sep 14, 2009 2:37 AM
Jul 2009
Heh, probably really all immortal ;p
But maybe Claire Stanfield, Maiza Avaro or Ronnie Sukiart???
Sep 30, 2009 12:50 PM

Jun 2009
It's like Vino said, there is just "my" world.

In this series we get to see the different roles the characters play and most important, how they react and choose to act during the strange events they face.

What is very peculiar here is that we see the story through different perspetives. So if we consider the world as a variety of subjective and individual worlds (which is Vino's perspective of the world, that is "me"/"you" as the main character of own life) then in the end, all characters are main characters, and i believe that's the main idea (and the whole concept) of this series.
Oct 12, 2009 2:37 AM

Apr 2009
It's FIRO. He's lead character-ISH. yes. -ISH :D

But, I think it's Isaac and Miria. Well, they connected everyone together...

But, i somehow feel that everyone is the main character though.
Oct 18, 2009 2:40 AM

May 2009
Issac and Miria basically made the majority immortal at the party...pretty funny..so i's go with them....there was something about Firo that made him stand out to...probably because he was one of the first one mentioned

Oct 21, 2009 8:24 AM

Jun 2009
Claire's the main character. That's what he said anyway.
Dec 21, 2009 6:12 PM

Apr 2007
shyLey said:
It's FIRO. He's lead character-ISH. yes. -ISH :D

But, I think it's Isaac and Miria. Well, they connected everyone together...

But, i somehow feel that everyone is the main character though.

I agree
Mar 30, 2010 3:03 AM

Jan 2009
No one main character according to me, and that's one of the best things here, we get to see so much development from many leads during the series. I love this way of presenting the plot, as it's said in the opening episode: "A story has as many points of view as many ppl are involved in it"...
I think this is the main focus throughout! =)))

Join My Club Shigurui - Death Frenzy (Still in construction)
May 5, 2010 9:08 AM

May 2009
If I had to pick one I'd go with Maiza, considering he's the one that started the whole immortals thing.
Jul 24, 2010 12:27 PM

May 2009
Maryberry said:
Claire's the main character. That's what he said anyway.

.So Right.
Feb 6, 2011 1:20 AM

Jan 2011
Firo is more of a decoy protagonist. Isaac and Miria have the role of tying the plot elements together, so they really are closest to being main characters, but I think the whole point is that there are none. Some characters COULD take the main role, like Claire or Ronny, but the story doesn't focus on any of those.
“There's power in the night. There's terror in the darkness. Despite all our accumulated history, learning, and experience, we remember. We remember times when we were too small to reach the light switch on the wall, and when darkness itself was enough to make us cry out in fear....”
~ The Dresden Files
★ ★ ★
Dec 17, 2011 2:49 PM

Dec 2007
Wasn't Firo confirmed to be the main character according to the writer?
May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
Nov 2008
There may not be a main character, but that doesn't stop me from having theories!

My gut feeling, along with p.much everyone else, says Firo. However, in the anime and especially in the novels, he isn't in it that much.

I'm beginning to think that maybe Elmer C. Albatross could be. On this site he's listed as 'supporting'. He was only briefly in the anime, but considering his presence in nearly EVERY event, novels and anime, he could be a candidate.

Now, I know people posted this in 2008 and probably won't see this, but I have to point it out. The demon is NOT Luck Gandor, or an employee of Daily Days. It's Ronnie Sukiart. He's a member of the Martillo family. This was explained in the anime. The biggest difference between him and Luck Gandor (besides appearance) is that Ronnie has a catchphrase. Also, Luck grew up with Firo. He couldn't have done that if he was watching over Maiza.
Jul 31, 2013 7:51 AM

Aug 2011
I think that the point of the question is to prove that there is no one main character in the overall story BUT they are all main characters at the same time (depending on whose view you look at it from). Personally, I think it's just to prove that stories ARE biased as they are (usually) seen from the main character's POV or at least an outsider following the main character around.

But I LOVE how Baccano! uses this warped sense of story telling (non-chronological and multiple timelines and settings from different POV) yet everything still seems to make sense. And probably better than if they told it conventionally.

But if I HAD to pick someone...I don't know...maybe the devil guy since he started it all?? But I feel like it should be Isaac and Miria although their personalities seem more like main characters from a comedy...Or Firo just because Carol said it at the beginning and it makes be sort of feel biased towards it...or maybe even Carol herself jest because she introduced the story...

I guess it just whoever you feel it should be?...
Jan 21, 2019 6:05 PM
Aug 2017
The viewer

Edit: Claire is a thematic representation of what it means to view media
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What is ... Baccano!?

OutlawImmortal - Jan 18, 2012

4 by Falkunfetur »»
Jan 21, 2019 6:07 PM

» You Know You Love Baccano When...

Lucena - Aug 22, 2009

18 by Falkunfetur »»
Jan 21, 2019 6:03 PM

Poll: » Best couple in Baccano^^ ( 1 2 3 )

faye - Nov 30, 2007

101 by Falkunfetur »»
Jan 21, 2019 6:02 PM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

logar247 - Feb 27, 2012

13 by Falkunfetur »»
Jan 21, 2019 6:00 PM

» Rewatches and light novels!

Tobi2x4 - Sep 16, 2014

2 by Falkunfetur »»
Jan 21, 2019 5:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.