Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 24, 2020 10:33 PM
Apr 2020
A forum designated to discussing your ethereal opinions on a recent anime you watched and if you would recommend it to the rest of us casuals #2.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 25, 2020 1:16 PM
Jul 2019
Liz and the Blue Bird (Liz to Aoi Tori) is a must-watch.

Although viewing the Sound! Euphonium series beforehand will help you better understand the characters/references (as it is a spinoff), it is a perfectly fine standalone film worth watching just for the audiovisuals.

For a bit of context: I watched Sound! Euphonium and Liz and the Blue Bird while ago, back in around December 2019. Back then, I was still a casual and I wasn't impressed by the film; rather, I was disappointed by it. I much preferred A Silent Voice (another film from the same director and studio) over Liz and the Blue Bird. But 9 months later, with a slightly more critical eye and with more experience with anime and whatnot, I decided to rewatch this film on a whim. And wow. It blew me away, left me in tears, and cemented its place in my top 10 anime. You thought A Silent Voice was overrated? Try this film instead.

Liz and the Blue Bird is hard to describe, or even summarize in words. It's something that's meant to be experienced firsthand. It's a poetic experience, unlike most other anime I've seen. Every scene is filled to the brim with a sort of melancholy, and the atmosphere is captivating, akin to the fragility of glass where even one touch, one movement, would shatter the entire experience. It's been a while since I was on the edge of my seat, muscles tensed, and completely engaged while watching an anime, or doing anything, for that matter.

The most basic way to sum up Liz and the Blue Bird would be that it's a story about two friends in a unique relationship at an important stage in their lives. But it's so much more. This film deftly weaves together numerous themes and characters and plot threads into a delicate, kaleidoscopic quilt of emotions and beauty.

Now, I said this film is worth watching just for the audiovisuals. In comparison to Alex (who claims he is a amateur in analyzing music but writes over 1000 words on that portion alone, probably longer than my entire review on this film), I am but a miniscule speck of soot, but even I can recognize just how good the sound is in Liz and the Blue Bird. Very minimalistic, but always, and I mean always, more den hundred pitch-perfect, enhancing the scene at hand and effectively signaling transitions to the next scene or shifts in tone. And that's not all, musically: there are several pieces performed by various members of the school band that play throughout the film. These are always meaningfully placed; I would even get goosebumps at certain times due to the combination of the music and what was going on during that time. In addition, the voice acting is just stellar. The voice actors suit every character and the voice work, combined with some of the best dialogue I've seen in fiction, lead to some extremely emotionally charged scenes (I teared up like 10 times over the course of Liz and the Blue Bird) despite the film not really being a sad or melodramatic one.

A big part of why this film was so powerful is due to the presentation and characters. Visually, Liz and the Blue Bird is extremely unique. It abandons Kyoto Animation's usual style for a more unique, ethereal one that stands in stark contrast to the main Sound! Euphonium series. The animation, holy cow, some of the best I've seen in anime and some aspects remind me more of live-action films, mainly the extreme attention to characters' movements and expressions. This also contributes to the believability and humanity of the characters. The two main characters especially, but even the minor characters play important roles in the film, depicting different types of relationships and concepts in a natural, three-dimensional fashion. The main characters are fleshed out extremely well on multiple levels: directly, through dialogue and plot events; indirectly, through facial expressions and body language; and allegorically, through a parallel story that mirrors their relationship. For a bit more context, I will expound on the short summary of the movie I gave: it's a story about two friends in a unique relationship at an important stage in their lives. They are assigned to play the lead instruments for a musical piece called Liz and the Blue Bird, which was inspired by a fairy tale of the same name, the aforementioned "parallel story." Adding onto the technique of allegory, Liz and the Blue Bird does an incredible job of using parallelism, imagery, and symbolism in a way that feels naturalistic instead of intrusive (cough cough, three-gatsu, cough, Monogatari, cough cough I have corona just kidding!). So, so, so good. All of these elements come together to emphasize human relationships and communication, insecurity and imperfection, friendship and individuality, and the fact that people are destined to go down different paths in life.

Maybe I like this so much because it sort of feels like a fusion of Evangelion and K-ON! (in terms of themes and style), but it's truly more than that. I highly, highly encourage everyone to check it out and experience it for themselves. All in all, Liz and the Blue Bird was one of the most enthralling and flawlessly crafted experiences I've had in the visual medium, in a mere 90 minutes.

Thank you for reading.

For fans of: A Silent Voice, K-ON!, Evangelion, good drama, good music, good works of art, good visuals, good anything, everything, nothing, epic, corona
For haters of: Sound! Euphonium (Hi Justin!)
Mon_PanacheSep 25, 2020 1:38 PM
Sep 25, 2020 1:26 PM
Jul 2019
Now that last review was pretty long (still shorter than Alex's music analysis of MIA though) so I'll write a few quick summaries of a bunch of stuff I watched/rewatched recently.

The Wind Rises: Visually interesting Ghibli film with Hideaki Anno (director of NGE) voicing the main character. A bit more metaphorical than usual Ghibli fare and overall pretty good except the romance aspect feels forced.

Ghost in the Shell: I watched the 2008 remastered version but it's the same thing as the original 1995 film except it looks worse. I recommend watching the 1995 film for its intelligent examination of humanity and artificial intelligence (and it looks better).

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: Technically not a Ghibli film, but it's generally considered their first work. Deals with environmental themes in a post-nuclear war setting. Worldbuilding is similar to MIA's so I'd recommend it to fans of the latter. Gets a bit too messy near the end.

Higurashi: The infamous horror/gore anime. A well-done mystery show with lots of plot threads. The first season is gripping and horrific and the second season focuses more on the underlying mystery, although the latter gets a bit too boring at times. One thing I liked was how the characters were fleshed out with unique backstories.

My Neighbor Totoro: Solid film that's in my top 5 Ghibli movies. A fun slice-of-life in rural 1950s Japan with fantastical elements. Naturalistic worldbuilding. Very nostalgic for me (idk if anyone else watched it as a child). Would recommend.
Sep 30, 2020 9:06 PM
Apr 2020
Non Non Biyori Review

Non Non Biyori epitomizes the idea of "cute girls doing cute things," a trend that is observable through many anime but does so in a way that discreetly and magnificently captures the elements of Slice of Life that evokes the warmth of tranquility associated with it. Taken place in the trenches of a countryside, setting becomes crucial in depicting what type of lifestyle the characters inhabit. In doing so, the animation of Non Non Biyori not only manage to effortlessly describe the landscape of the area but does more to allow other features like background music and dialogue sink in with overall flow of what the show desires to accomplish. Episodic in nature, Non Non Biyori never makes waste with what new adventures the characters may venture to in order to establish more development through backstory or interactions with others. As a Slice of Life, Non Non may be one of the best successful examples of a show that cause the viewer to grin from the goodness that stem from the characters' hearts. There is never even remote sexualization, excluding genuine attraction, of children, adults, or women in general (*insert Steffphan mald*) because the show recognizes its intent is only to wholeheartedly detail the intricacies that make these girls' life interesting. Everything from the animation to the comedy perfectly match up with how several personalities nurtured in a countryside environment shapes one's upbringing and the importance of friendship and socialization to encapsulate the core of bliss.

Score--> 85/100-->8/10
Recommended to lovers of Yuru Camp, Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta..., Usagi Drop, and Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou.
Oct 8, 2020 9:19 PM
Apr 2019
Burn The Witch Review

I'll keep this short, because I don't want to think about this anime more than I have to.

I had the unfortunate occasion of watching this anime movie(?) the other day. Even more unfortunately, I actually expected it to be decent.

BTW is just full of weird, obvious, and giant flaws. First of all, Burn The Witch is not a traditional anime movie, but the length of an anime movie cut into three different episodes for some reason??? What's more, the episodes weren't released separately but all at once??? Why??????

The animation is just above average, with its stylistic artstyle earning it some points. However, at the same time, the art style looks like garbage in certain scenes.

The music is honestly the best part about this anime. The OSTs are pretty well orchestrated, and the ED is pretty poppin as well.

The writing... is garbage. I should've known, since this was written by the author of Bleach, but was I so woefully ignorant at the time. Serious scenes are intjected with comedy scenes written so lazily that even a psychological horror show elicits more laughter out of me. The flow is often suddenly broken by these scenes. Like, the characters can be in the middle of a fucking climactic battle, and then all of a sudden the author forgets about the big enemy and go like "haha funni moment".

The anime is also really fucking flippant with what it wants to do, and has, essentially, 3 different antagonists. What's so stupid is that the first antagonist joins the main characters, the third antagonist comes from bumfuck nowhere with a bullshit explanation, and the second antagonist fucking teams up with he main characters even though they were fighting like 10 minutes before with no fucking reason????? Like, the way the anime handles threats in this anime is so lazy and egregious that there is no tension at all. AND WHEN THERE IS TENSION, IT'S INTERRUPTED BY THE FUCKING SHITTY COMEDY SCENES. Literally everything is an asspull in this anime. The fucking antagonists, the solution, the ending. Like, what the fuck, everything comes out of the author's ass, no logical explanation for anything.

The anime also explores its world and characters on such a fucking shallow surface level that if I tried to dive into the pool that is this anime, there would be no pool, because it's like two drops of water. Like????? What the fuck. If the anime was a full length anime, and explored the things it tries to set up, then maybe it would be a littttle better? The anime just tries too many things, does them badly, and then throws them away, giving itself a pat on the back afterwards. The anime almost feels like both the first three episodes of a really shitty long anime and an entire anime at the same time. So fucking garbage.

Conclusion: Burn The Witch is fucking garbage, don't watch it if you like good anime. Only worth watching to see how bad it is.
AKim714Oct 11, 2020 10:03 AM
My Candies:
Oct 11, 2020 7:44 PM
Jul 2020
Yuru Yuri

10/10

It was pretty good.
Oct 11, 2020 7:47 PM
Jul 2020
GigaWhatGaming said:
Yuru Yuri

10/10

It was pretty good.

I agree
Oct 18, 2020 7:17 PM
Jan 2020
Nisekoi Review:

There's no reason to watch this show, really. Though the music and art are solid, the show's premise and the storyline are basic.

That's all.

...I lied. There's ONE reason to watch this show, that being the godlike and perfect character that goes by the name of Onodera Kosaki. She is the ideal representation of what defines a best girl in a show. There is no question in this matter.

Score: 5/10

(A quick breakdown of how my scoring works: I'll give a show two points for decent art and music, meaning that almost all anime I rank will be at least a 3/10. The other points are dedicated to how much I actually enjoyed the show. Onodera was such a top-tier character that an extra point needed to be given.)
NahLogicOct 18, 2020 7:25 PM
My candies:
Oct 25, 2020 9:09 PM
Jan 2020
Made in Abyss Dawn of the Deep Soul (Movie 3)

Something that is asked of me quite frequently is why I spend time watching trash shows. While I do have a multitude of reasons for doing so (mainly boredom), one of them is because it's nice to have a more accurate scale of the shows I watch, from the worst to the best. Maybe it's because I've spent the last two weeks watching the equivalent of doo-doo water of anime, or maybe it's perhaps the fact I watched the movie at 4 in the morning, but the DOTDS is one of the best anime I have ever watched.

Music? Fire. Art? Fire. Come on now.

The story itself? Pretty damn good, and emotional too. The characters? Simple yet widely effective.

The issue I have regarding the movie is that some parts of the story simply go unexplained and that one of the characters is an idiot at times. However, these aren't objective flaws, as I can see why the writer did this.

Score: 9/10 MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
My candies:
Nov 3, 2020 1:12 AM
Jan 2020
Picture this situation: it's three in the morning, and you're looking for something to watch with the bois. Suddenly, you run into Himegoto, whom one particular member in this club has deemed a masterpiece.

It's four in the morning. Actronav has lost for the 13th time now as a bulge once again arises from Hime's panties. Ending credits roll, and you question what decisions in life have led up to this point.

Himegoto is the equivalent of a non-anime viewer's perspective on anime. Ecchi galore, barebone characters, overused jokes—the gist of it. The one thing that is good about this show is that it doesn't hide what it is. The writers Himegoto knows what the show is and the audience it appeals to.

Score: 3/10

Would recommend to fans of jiggle physics in areas of the body one might not expect.
NahLogicNov 3, 2020 1:06 PM
My candies:
Nov 5, 2020 3:15 AM
Jan 2020
Rent-a-Girlfriend Review

I decided that it would be fun to binge Rent-a-Girlfriend in one night. Honestly, I expected to give this show a rating of 3/10, with me only expecting good music and art. But to my surprise, the show did turn out to be more than that.

I’ll start with the pros of the show. As said before, the music and art are pretty solid. Even before watching this show, I was listening to Centimeter by peggies consistently. The ending songs are pretty decent too. The art is well-done as well, portraying the scenery and, more importantly, the characters, nicely.

Something that caught me off-guard was the ecchi in the anime. My general philosophy on ecchi is that unless it holds some sort of purpose within the show, it’s absolutely useless and should be considered a flaw. However, Rent-a-Girlfriend actually has a reason to show the implicated sex scenes it does: it’s all to emphasize the horniness and stupidity of Kazuya, the main character. In the context of the show, it makes sense, and so the ecchi in the show is one I’ll ignore.

The drama was significantly better than I had expected. Seriously—what kind of conflict would you expect in a show about renting girlfriends? However, the quality of said drama is incredibly inconsistent, with some parts being good and others lacking the emotion necessary behind it.

The biggest flaw of the show is, without a doubt, the characters. At the start of the show, the main character is portrayed as an absolute loser. Having gone through a break-up, with tissues scattered all over his room, he looks online to rent a girlfriend. Now, what I would expect the show to do is develop the character so that he learns to move on, learning about the value of genuine love in the process. This does not happen. Instead, Kazuya hardly shows any improvement in his character. There are times when he does a good deed every now and then, but his personality never changes. On the other hand, there were the girls in the show, who are all pretty garbage. Mami, the character without a single redeemable quality. Chizuru, the character who encourages the main character’s stupidity. Sumi, the kuudere who speaks 5 words throughout her entire screen time. And Ruka, the over-obsessed girl who lives in a fantasy world of her own. Though I’m definitely simplifying these characters quite a lot, these descriptions were what I saw as flaws that made these characters unrealistic and unrelatable. Oh well, at least the girls in the show are cute.

THE ENDING REALLY PISSED ME OFF.

Would recommend to fans of cute girls and good music.
My candies:
Dec 20, 2020 1:22 PM
Apr 2019
Shitcom Comprehensive Review

This... this anime was the most beautiful thing I've ever laid my eyes upon. Within the first second it grasped my interest, with the black screen containing only the words "Shitcom" with classical music in the background.

Shitcom has no need for any heavy handed dialogue or exposition, which is common within inferior works like the Monogatari Series of Made in Abyss. It managed to convey such a breadth of emotions with only facial expressions and body language, leaving the miniscule interpretations up to the viewer. It treats its viewers not as children that must be lectured to, but instead intellectuals that experience mediums differently due to their varying personal beliefs and experiences.

Shitcom is head and shoulders above the rest of the drivel that the anime industry produces on an annual basis. It is elegant and artistic in its simplicity, and has no need for unnecessary filler or padding. The connection and emotion between the two characters, Woman and Man, are conveyed with such great expertise and effectiveness that the viewer cannot help but relate to them, as shit spews forth from their mouths.

The clay stop-motion animation is smooth, and breaks away from the rigid 2D cell animation tradition that the anime industry has been mired in for decades. In all its 3D glory, Shitcom tells a fascinating story of love between two star-crossed lovers.

All in all, Shitcom is a masterclass in animation, storytelling, and most importantly, experimentation that hits you like a baseball bat to the head.

20/10
My Candies:
Dec 20, 2020 8:08 PM
Jan 2020
Shitcom Anime Review

I have recently been introduced to an anime called Shitcom by several people. After the best minute of my life, I am confident in saying that this surpasses the many other anime that I have watched over the last few months.

*Spoiler Warning*

The man gives the woman a ring, which signifies a sense of romance between the two. Suddenly, the woman vomits shit, indicating the flaws that exist within herself. But does the man reject her? No! Instead, he instead decides to throw up his own shit. Both acknowledging each other's flaws, they smile, continuing their romance.

These themes of flaws and acceptance are ones that I haven't seen much anime do right. In only 60 seconds, this OVA manages to be completely stupid in its execution, yet a masterpiece in the ideas it conveys.

The classical music adds on to Shitcom. It diverts the audience's attention away from what is about to come. Acting as a bait and switch, the music portrays a sense of class and elegance, which is the complete opposite of what the anime ends up being.

The clay animation works with the anime too. It prevents the shit that arises to be comedic, instead of vastly disgusting. This allows the anime to fulfill its goal of getting the audience to laugh.

Honestly, it's hard to call this anime a masterpiece, but to ignore its themes it manages to do in its own way would be flawed. Definitely, give this a watch whenever you have the time.

NahLogicDec 20, 2020 10:36 PM
My candies:
Dec 25, 2020 7:40 PM
Apr 2020
Noragami Review

Noragami isn't bad. It didn't quite live up to my expectations as what others describe as a hyped up, once-in-a-generation TV show. The show struggles to balance a streamlined plot when so many characters and developments are introduced, usually only surface-level exploration. The characters' decisions add up for the most part, except one or two jumps in logic that seem to occur spontaneously. Comedy isn't an issue at all with this show, although the use of jokes and punchlines are sometimes inserted unnecessarily or without much purpose. These critiques didn't affect the enjoyment as much as it sounded like it did although it did drop the show a considerable number of points; everything else managed well.

Score---> 75/100--->7/10
I will watch Aragoto soon.
Dec 30, 2020 5:26 PM
Jul 2020
Kiniro Mosaic is a great and enjoyable anime. I found it to be cute and wholesome, and would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who wants to watch some quality slice of life. This anime was recommended to me by club member NahLogic, who was quick to dislike the show. One audacious claim that he made was that the only redeemable character was Karen Kujo, the girl who is the source of the well-known AYAYA emote. This is blatantly wrong and biased, as NahLogic has a history of prominent AYAYA usage. There is obviously favoritism towards this one character, and I say that other characters have redeeming qualities including Shinobu and Alice. Their display of friendship towards one another and the antics that they often get into over Shino's love of blonde hair are entertaining to watch. If you disagree with my sentiments, then you are just incorrect :)

10/10, like every anime that I watch.
Dec 31, 2020 10:20 PM
Apr 2020
Noragami Aragoto Review

Once again, Noragami Aragoto was much like the first season: good anime. Aragoto retains much of the comedic sense and emotional pleasurability's put on full display as the show's plot begins to unravel itself. The animation quality works well with the show's vibrant, flashy, and action-packed scenes with varying art styles complementing the comical value through facial expressions and exaggerated reactions, the added effort doing more to help the show in those aspects rather than not had they been excluded. Unfortunately, Aragoto fails to remain consistent with its characters' actions and reasoning. The introduction of new characters who played pivotal roles in either of the two major arcs in the season were poorly produced. Lacking any real depth, the directors intended for some sort of meaningful memorability when it came to featuring new characters which was ultimately futile. What's more are the methods used to "cop out" the main characters out of a pinch and practically negate any real effect of events from prior episodes leading up to that point. Building all the suspense and drama only for the characters to waltz their way out was meant only to serve as plot armor because the directors were too afraid of backlash from the 12-year old army of Noragami fangirls getting their feelings hurt or something (i.e. steffphan nah).

Score--> 75/100---> 7/10
Overall, it's as if the directors knew exactly how to capture the slice/lighthearted moments but were completely clueless when it came to making an orderly plot and developed characters.
Fire OP, good art, and Hiyori is still cute.
AKim714Dec 31, 2020 10:30 PM
Jan 27, 2021 5:18 PM
Jul 2019
Love Live! School Idol Project Review

Worth it for Snow Halation.

For fans of: BanG Dream, osu!
Mon_PanacheJan 27, 2021 5:22 PM
Apr 27, 2021 2:24 PM
Jan 2020
Haruhi Review

Note: This review contains spoilers for the series and movie for Haruhi. Please don’t read this until you’ve watched both.

Haruhi is a work that really managed to blow me away. While it does have its fair share of issues like every other anime, what Haruhi does right, it does incredibly well.

While I did like the first two seasons of Haruhi, they weren’t anything particularly meaningful for me. KyoAni being KyoAni, the audiovisuals are pretty solid. The character designs are nice, and the background art is very good as well, though perhaps lacking a bit compared to other works by the studio. There are a few notable songs, including the two opening songs, the insert song God Knows, and Itsumo no fuukei. The OST is quite memorable and is able to match the general atmosphere of every scene.

The pacing of the show is easily my biggest qualm about the series. I’m not just saying that because of the infamous Endless Eight arc either (though I did watch the eight episodes in their entirety). There are other arcs that seemed to last forever. The film arc, for instance, felt so unnecessarily long. Every episode in the arc essentially boiled down to Haruhi bullying Asahina, Kyon getting a little more pissed off, and some minor conflict occurring because of Haruhi’s powers (which almost immediately get resolved anyway). This drawn-out formula got incredibly tiring, and seeing Kyon yell at Haruhi for her selfishness definitely wasn’t enough of a payoff for me. Other arcs are simply forgettable. I honestly have no recollection of what happened during the Remote Island arc or the Mystérique Sign arc, as they both didn’t have a compelling enough plot that kept me constantly engaged.

That isn’t to say that there aren’t any noteworthy moments in the plot. Kyon kissing Haruhi and the surprisingly heartwarming conclusion to Endless Eight were a couple of moments that I really enjoyed. Some smaller moments, too, like Kyon and Haruhi sharing an umbrella or the Phoenix Wright references were nice as well.

Another issue I had were the explanations regarding the characters’ abilities and powers. While I understand that they were meant to be ambiguous, these explanations ended up taking up a pretty significant portion of the dialogue. These characters said a lot about the Integrated Data Entity or time travel, but none of it is important in the slightest.

I will say, though, this would not have been as much of an issue for me if these explanations were in a show other than Haruhi, as what I enjoyed most about the two seasons was the witty dialogue that existed between Kyon and Haruhi. The dynamic that plays between the two, with Haruhi’s overesthusiam, followed by Kyon’s cynical rebuttal is genuinely entertaining. It also explains why I enjoyed Episode 00 so much. Kyon’s narration of him pointing out the very obvious flaws of the film ended up being significantly funnier to me than it perhaps should’ve been.

While watching the two seasons, I did grow a bit pissed off at the characters. Some of Haruhi’s actions felt like genuine bullying, especially her suggesting to get Asahina drunk without her consent. Asahina served only to be fanservice and a target of Haruhi’s attacks. Nagato lacked a personality of sorts, and the one computer game she seemed to like didn’t really change my opinion on that. Kyon never really grows in any way, always remaining as pessimistic as ever. And Koizumi...well, I don’t know what was going on with him.

But again, I didn’t care too much, as the dialogue alone was enough for me to continue enjoying the show. However, that was also pretty much all I cared for during the show.

Okay, it might seem that I actually in fact hated Haruhi. But the show wasn’t bad, per say; rather, a lot of it simply bored me. So when I realized that the movie was almost 3 hours in length, I wasn’t very happy. No way, I thought, was I going to be able to sit through even 30 minutes of the movie before getting bored.

My current rating of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya suggests otherwise.

The movie started off a bit basic. The premise of the main character being transported into a world similar but also unlike his own, with a few significant portions missing, isn’t something new in the least. In fact, for the first portion of the movie, I was pretty much spot-on on every little action that Kyon was about to do.

But it was clear right from the start that the movie was going to be unlike the series. There was a melancholic feel, the art showcasing drab scenery that contrasted the bright spirit of the original show. The OST was particularly good, even for Haruhi, and the first moments alone were enough to showcase that.

Seeing Nagato finally have a personality was surprisingly refreshing. After episodes of episodes of her being pretty much a doll, seeing her even smile and blush was a change that was nice to see.

The first moment that hit different was when Kyon met Haruhi in the alternate world and described to her the world that he had come from—the one with the SOS brigade and all the activities they and a couple others participated in. And Haruhi’s reaction to that—her saying that such a world would be so exciting—almost got me to tear up. There was something so heartwarming about Haruhi’s middle school ambitions of yearning for a wacky world coming back. It was probably the first time in her high school years that the Haruhi in this world had felt such excitement.

The movie continued to roll out its punches. When Haruhi got all of the SOS brigade members together in that room we’re all so familiar with, I did tear up. Again, there was something so heartwarming with the current Haruhi finally experiencing these joys that were previously shut off to her before.

The other moment that I’ll never forget was when Kyon had to consider whether he really liked his previous world more than his current one. It was a scene that from the beginning was obviously going to happen. Nevertheless, the simplicity of the shots, the voice actor’s raw emotion, and the music playing throughout really made the scene. I ended up tearing up again when Kyon finally admitted to himself that he enjoyed all the shenanigans Haruhi put him through.

A quick note: only two other anime/manga have gotten me to cry, those being the Madoka Magica show and the final episode of Umineko. Essentially, this one movie got me to cry as much as all the other anime/manga I’ve experienced, which is one of the main reasons I gave the movie the score I did.

And Kyon getting stabbed? That really, really got caught me off guard. I’m unsure now what to think of the scene. Looking back, that moment somewhat threw off the pacing of the movie and felt merely as shock factor without being anything meaningful. But I suppose if that was the case, it did its job.

The conclusion of the movie was wrapped up really nicely as well, with Haruhi having shown to care for Kyon, and Kyon expressing the value of Nagato to the SOS brigade under that snowy night. Overall, from beginning to end, the movie was extremely solid, and is probably my favorite anime movie as of now.

Wrapping back to an earlier point, despite this movie being so long, it felt incredibly short. The story flowed continuously and naturally, there not really being a point in time where I thought that it slowed down too much. Everything in the movie had its purpose, and that made all the difference.

Basically, the movie addressed practically all the concerns I had with the two seasons. The future Asahina talks about how she has good memories with Haruhi, meaning that she wasn’t negatively influenced by whatever Haruhi put her through. Nagato and Kyon get the character development they desperately needed. The pacing’s fixed, the explanations to everything actually make sense and aren’t overdone, and I never felt bored once during the movie. Watching 28 episodes was easily worth it for this masterpiece.

Anyway, with that, Justin needs to read Umineko now. xd sucker

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (s1 + s2): 7/10
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (movie): 10/10
NahLogicApr 27, 2021 2:33 PM
My candies:
May 31, 2021 8:55 PM
Jul 2019
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Review

E P I C
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» SIGN PETITION!

Mon_Panache - May 31, 2021

0 by Mon_Panache »»
May 31, 2021 10:09 PM

» Recent Manga Review/Rating/ Discussion

AKim714 - Aug 31, 2020

16 by AKim714 »»
Apr 8, 2021 9:03 PM

» 2020 - Anime of the Year and stuff

Mon_Panache - Dec 31, 2020

4 by ilikesliceoflife »»
Jan 13, 2021 8:21 PM

» Recent Anime Review/Rating/ Discussion

AKim714 - Aug 7, 2020

20 by AKim714 »»
Sep 24, 2020 10:31 PM

» Anime/Manga Relations

Mon_Panache - Aug 19, 2020

12 by Mon_Panache »»
Aug 25, 2020 10:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.