Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 28, 2023 1:04 AM

Apr 2012
Is there any point in watching this show if I plan to watch the original DBZ anyway? I periodically watch remakes and reboots to regain my memories and get back into the franchise, but I don't know if it's worth it while I'll still watch the original anime.
Jul 28, 2023 1:18 AM
Aug 2021
RobertBobert said:
Is there any point in watching this show if I plan to watch the original DBZ anyway? I periodically watch remakes and reboots to regain my memories and get back into the franchise, but I don't know if it's worth it while I'll still watch the original anime.

no its literally same thing, studio just removed fillers and some non important battle except that, its same thing.
Jul 28, 2023 1:22 AM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:
I periodically watch remakes and reboots to regain my memories and get back into the franchise, but I don't know if it's worth it while I'll still watch the original anime.

Kai is not a Remake , but a re-cut of Z.

They cutted out fillers scenes and episodes , redrawn/recolored only very few scenes who had errors , changed the format to 16:9 by zooming , re-did voice actings , and changed the music score.
Aside from these changes , it's literally the episodes of Z.

So no , no point in watching Kai if you watch Z.
I recommend Kai over Z tho , the pacing of Z is atrocious , especially during the Namek/Freezer Arc.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Jul 28, 2023 1:38 AM

Apr 2012
Alexioos95 said:
RobertBobert said:
I periodically watch remakes and reboots to regain my memories and get back into the franchise, but I don't know if it's worth it while I'll still watch the original anime.

Kai is not a Remake , but a re-cut of Z.

They cutted out fillers scenes and episodes , redrawn/recolored only very few scenes who had errors , changed the format to 16:9 by zooming , re-did voice actings , and changed the music score.
Aside from these changes , it's literally the episodes of Z.

So no , no point in watching Kai if you watch Z.
I recommend Kai over Z tho , the pacing of Z is atrocious , especially during the Namek/Freezer Arc.
So it's essentially a remaster with bug fixes?
Jul 28, 2023 1:39 AM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:

Can it be called a simple "remaster" , when they also cut content at the same time ?
But yes.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jul 28, 2023 1:42 AM

Apr 2012
Alexioos95 said:
RobertBobert said:

Can it be called a simple "remaster" , when they also cut content at the same time ?
But yes.
And how far have they come with adaptation? As far as I can see from MAL, they had two seasons of 90+ episodes and a movie/special.
Jul 28, 2023 1:47 AM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:
And how far have they come with adaptation? As far as I can see from MAL, they had two seasons of 90+ episodes and a movie/special.

It's complete.

This entry cover up until the end of the Cyborgs/Cell Arc. It's equivalent to the first 193 episodes of Z.
The Special is the Epilogue to the Cyborgs/Cell Arc , episode 194 of Z.
The 2014 series is the Kai version of the Boo Arc , equivalent to the remaining episodes. (195-291)
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jul 28, 2023 1:50 AM

Apr 2012
Alexioos95 said:
RobertBobert said:

It's complete.

This entry cover up until the end of the Cyborgs/Cell Arc. It's equivalent to the first 193 episodes of Z.
The Special is the Epilogue to the Cyborgs/Cell Arc , episode 194 of Z.
The 2014 series is the Kai version of the Boo Arc , equivalent to the remaining episodes. (195-291)
So overall they cut the original show down by about a third?
Jul 28, 2023 1:52 AM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:

Almost half , but yes. (291 Episodes to 159)

That shows you how much filler there was...
The problem is that most fillers of Z were not complete episodes , but many scenes in between the canon ones.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jul 28, 2023 1:54 AM

Apr 2012
Alexioos95 said:
RobertBobert said:

Almost half , but yes. (291 Episodes to 159)

That shows you how much filler there was...
The problem is that most fillers of Z were not complete episodes , but many scenes in between the canon ones.
Well, I'm planning to watch DBZ anyway, since that franchise was a big part of my life in high school, but thanks to you, I thought watching Kai before or after wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Jul 28, 2023 2:09 AM
May 2021
definitely watch kai. the pacing and filler in z is unbearable
Jul 28, 2023 8:49 AM
Dec 2015
Its just Z with a better english dub and none of the filler. So it doesn't drag on and is paced really well. You can skip Z and watch Kai instead.
Jul 28, 2023 7:35 PM
Apr 2021
It’s the same thing, but shortened.
Jul 29, 2023 7:45 AM
Jun 2021
Don’t watch Kai unless you are just trying a quick rewatch. I like original Z more because I like some of the comedy and intricacies of the “filler.” It never reminded me of filler and just more of Akira’s improvisational writing techniques.
Jul 29, 2023 2:06 PM
Nov 2012
Aside from some minor censorship DBKai is the way to go. Essentially the equivalent to One Pace.
Jul 29, 2023 2:25 PM

Apr 2012
Detective_Lupin said:
Aside from some minor censorship DBKai is the way to go. Essentially the equivalent to One Pace.
Is there anything to censor in Dragon Ball Z?
Jul 29, 2023 7:34 PM
Nov 2012
RobertBobert said:
Detective_Lupin said:
Is there anything to censor in Dragon Ball Z?

Just some blood and holes in bodies and stuff.
Jul 29, 2023 10:02 PM

Dec 2016
I’ll honestly never get what was the big deal with the fillers in DBZ. Most of them were actually entertaining and contributed to add more “soul” and charm to the series. Some people criticize that DBZ was nothing else but a show about dudes fighting, I disagree on that, but it is precisely how Kai makes it feel; let’s get to the cool fights as quick as possible and let’s dismiss everything else. While I do agree that there were some really uninteresting filler like the whole Garlick Jr. irrelevancy, most of the rest helped to add more naturalism to the show, to make the audience care and get attached to the characters more and to involve it more with the canon stories, something that is relatively missing in Kai, where you don’t get to see for example most of Gohan’s training in the wilderness at the beginning of the series which was a rich maturing process for him and an opportunity for the audience to get invested in him. Also a lot of the “slice of life-y” and normal-life-between-battles moments where our cast was taking a break and living their normal lives, adding more diversity and soul to the series, are gone too, making everything feel ultimately less fun and less relatable.

Also it was not only filler what Kai removed, a lot of canon content was cut out too; DBZ has only about a 15% share of fillers and Kai removed a towering 50% of the original length, so there’s a lot of relevant content that is just gone too. And when you take away 50% of the original canon content, things are definitely going to feel not only very rushed and hasty, but also, less tasty. They may have removed the fillers, but they just went too far and in the process a big chunk of the characteristic epic feel and thrill of the original was totally gone, and you can definitely notice it. With the slower pacing, DBZ did a much better job when it comes to build the momentum and the sense of scale; the slower pacing is exactly what made the whole show so monumental, impactful and memorable for the audience. This bigger sense of scale is missing in Kai, which feels more just like a mere sequence of procedures; let’s get straight to business, make this quick and then just let’s get outta here. 

Some say Kai is better for starter audiences, but I disagree. You would miss a lot of the enjoyment, joy and taste the original provides if you pick the summarized version. Z is the better version for the first experience.
Jul 30, 2023 12:14 AM

Jan 2017
SoldierDream said:
Also it was not only filler what Kai removed, a lot of canon content was cut out too; DBZ has only about a 15% share of fillers and Kai removed a towering 50% of the original length, so there’s a lot of relevant content that is just gone too.

Actually , no.

Z had a lot of fillers , but not only full episodes , there was a lot of scenes as well.
The most well known ones are those on Namek , where Goku and Freezer are face to face staying still for whole minutes , or when the episode suddenly switch to another character, like with the father of Bulma on earth , to switch back to Goku and Freezer around the end of the episode.

Such cases are not counted as fillers on list made by fans , but they still are.
Kai removed all of that , and kept only what was shown in the Manga , aside from 1 or 2 scenes. (Like when Goku stays under water)

SoldierDream said:
You would miss a lot of the enjoyment, joy and taste the original provides if you pick the summarized version. Z is the better version for the first experience.

Kai is literally the true version tho , it's the same as the original Manga.

You can says the same about every other Animes with fillers , they add more content after all.
But that really does sounds like you are blinded by nostalgia...
Alexioos95Jul 30, 2023 12:26 AM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Nov 29, 2023 12:34 PM

Oct 2018
I suggest you watch this if you are first watching. This anime skip filler. And after you done watching this, you can go watching Z if you want to rewatch or if you are a big fan of dragon ball yeah you can watch Z
Jan 10, 7:26 AM
I love femboys.

Sep 2022
Reply to Alexioos95
SoldierDream said:
Also it was not only filler what Kai removed, a lot of canon content was cut out too; DBZ has only about a 15% share of fillers and Kai removed a towering 50% of the original length, so there’s a lot of relevant content that is just gone too.

Actually , no.

Z had a lot of fillers , but not only full episodes , there was a lot of scenes as well.
The most well known ones are those on Namek , where Goku and Freezer are face to face staying still for whole minutes , or when the episode suddenly switch to another character, like with the father of Bulma on earth , to switch back to Goku and Freezer around the end of the episode.

Such cases are not counted as fillers on list made by fans , but they still are.
Kai removed all of that , and kept only what was shown in the Manga , aside from 1 or 2 scenes. (Like when Goku stays under water)

SoldierDream said:
You would miss a lot of the enjoyment, joy and taste the original provides if you pick the summarized version. Z is the better version for the first experience.

Kai is literally the true version tho , it's the same as the original Manga.

You can says the same about every other Animes with fillers , they add more content after all.
But that really does sounds like you are blinded by nostalgia...
@Alexioos95
"True version" - Manga elitist.
𝙊𝙣𝙚 𝙋𝙞𝙚𝙘𝙚 𝙥𝙖𝙘𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙞𝙨 𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙚𝙘𝙩𝙡𝙮 𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙚. - 𝙕𝙖𝙘𝙝
Jan 10, 9:51 AM

Jan 2017
GoatPieceLuffy said:

It has nothing to do with pseudo-elitism tho.

The Animes are merely adaptations, derived product. The original work is the one who built everything of the story, by the vision of the Author himself. You may prefer the adaptations (i do too for a lot of cases, especially Dragon Ball), but that doesn't change the fact that the Manga is the original source material.

It would be a different case if the Anime is an Anime-original story, a Spin-Off expanding the universe, and extending the Canon (with the approval of the original Author, of course). Or even with WebNovel & their Light Novels fixes. With the WebNovels being amateur-ish works, polished and then professionally published works, using the WebNovel as a merely draft for it, kinda hard to choose which one is the real story without the opinion of the Author himself.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jan 10, 10:23 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Alexioos95
GoatPieceLuffy said:

It has nothing to do with pseudo-elitism tho.

The Animes are merely adaptations, derived product. The original work is the one who built everything of the story, by the vision of the Author himself. You may prefer the adaptations (i do too for a lot of cases, especially Dragon Ball), but that doesn't change the fact that the Manga is the original source material.

It would be a different case if the Anime is an Anime-original story, a Spin-Off expanding the universe, and extending the Canon (with the approval of the original Author, of course). Or even with WebNovel & their Light Novels fixes. With the WebNovels being amateur-ish works, polished and then professionally published works, using the WebNovel as a merely draft for it, kinda hard to choose which one is the real story without the opinion of the Author himself.
@Alexioos95 I'm afraid your opinion won't go over well with anime-only fans of Bocchi the Rock because they try hard to convince themselves that only the anime made the story good, otherwise they'll have to admit that they were superficial and ignored the manga before it get AAA anime.
Jan 10, 11:59 AM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:
I'm afraid your opinion won't go over well with anime-only fans of Bocchi the Rock because they try hard to convince themselves that only the anime made the story good, otherwise they'll have to admit that they were superficial and ignored the manga before it get AAA anime.

That's a whole another subject.

As far as i know (i didn't read the Manga, but only saw a few panels), the adaptation of Bocchi The Rock was made with a lot of love from the staff, and really sublimed the Manga a lot, almost even "giving it an heart". It's no surprise people prefer it over the Manga, maybe even thinking that the latter is straight up bad.

I have a similar opinion about Kara no Kyoukai.
I liked the Novels, but the Movies adaptations skipped a lot of dialogues (Novel adaptation...), accentuating the confusion, suspense, and mysteries of the story. While it's not very good from an adaptation standpoint, i believe it goes even better with the story and its tone (with on top of that incredible animation, musics, characters design, ect.). But how it happened in the Novel still is the real point of view of the Author of his story, and nothing will ever change that. (Nasu is a very peculiar Author, so it's really not the best example... He really would re-write everything if we allowed him to.)

And still, we are only talking about a few changes or deletions here, but it may be a complete re-interpretation of the original work.
The only perfect example i have on top of my mind is the Movie Scarface, with Al Pacino (a Movie that i love, and which profoundly impacted me).
Many aren't aware, but it's in reality a total re-interpretation of a Movie from 1932, which itself is an adaptation of a Novel from 1929. While they both are about the ascension of a small gangster, all the setting is completely different (the historical period, the location, and the illegal products, mostly). To me, the Scarface of Al Pacino is no doubt better than its counterpart from 1932, or the Novel, but the real story, how it "really happened" for the creator, is the "countepart".
Alexioos95Jan 10, 12:02 PM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jan 10, 12:19 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Alexioos95
RobertBobert said:
I'm afraid your opinion won't go over well with anime-only fans of Bocchi the Rock because they try hard to convince themselves that only the anime made the story good, otherwise they'll have to admit that they were superficial and ignored the manga before it get AAA anime.

That's a whole another subject.

As far as i know (i didn't read the Manga, but only saw a few panels), the adaptation of Bocchi The Rock was made with a lot of love from the staff, and really sublimed the Manga a lot, almost even "giving it an heart". It's no surprise people prefer it over the Manga, maybe even thinking that the latter is straight up bad.

I have a similar opinion about Kara no Kyoukai.
I liked the Novels, but the Movies adaptations skipped a lot of dialogues (Novel adaptation...), accentuating the confusion, suspense, and mysteries of the story. While it's not very good from an adaptation standpoint, i believe it goes even better with the story and its tone (with on top of that incredible animation, musics, characters design, ect.). But how it happened in the Novel still is the real point of view of the Author of his story, and nothing will ever change that. (Nasu is a very peculiar Author, so it's really not the best example... He really would re-write everything if we allowed him to.)

And still, we are only talking about a few changes or deletions here, but it may be a complete re-interpretation of the original work.
The only perfect example i have on top of my mind is the Movie Scarface, with Al Pacino (a Movie that i love, and which profoundly impacted me).
Many aren't aware, but it's in reality a total re-interpretation of a Movie from 1932, which itself is an adaptation of a Novel from 1929. While they both are about the ascension of a small gangster, all the setting is completely different (the historical period, the location, and the illegal products, mostly). To me, the Scarface of Al Pacino is no doubt better than its counterpart from 1932, or the Novel, but the real story, how it "really happened" for the creator, is the "countepart".
@Alexioos95 You somewhat misunderstood the situation. Kids quite seriously say that manga is bad because it is difficult for them to read yonkoma, or that anime is better because it has animation and an actual soundtrack. This is the level where it is very difficult for you to justify disliking some guy and you say that his undercut implies that he is a fan of the Hitler Youth. Not to mention, the idea that the anime turned out great because the staff truly loved the manga, which is why the manga is bad, is quite surreal.
Jan 10, 12:33 PM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:
Kids quite seriously say that manga is bad because it is difficult for them to read yonkoma, or that anime is better because it has animation and an actual soundtrack. This is the level where it is very difficult for you to justify disliking some guy and you say that his undercut implies that he is a fan of the Hitler Youth.

I understand what you mean, but i fail to see the connection with what i was talking about with the "real version" of a story ?

Unless you are simply referring to their crazyness about their head-Canon ? In this case, near all people i came across were simply joking, and not actually really delusional. I tend to avoid the 10 year olds kids on internet and their social networks such as Tiktok/Twitter tho, so maybe i'm wrong.

RobertBobert said:
Not to mention, the idea that the anime turned out great because the staff truly loved the manga, which is why the manga is bad, is quite surreal.

If the staff successfully sublimated the source material, experiencing the "superior" version first may disarray when switching to the "downgraded" one.
Many people uses words when thinking of another definition, and not the one you could expect of tho. For example, them saying the Manga is bad could really well in reality mean that they simply don't like it as much as the Anime. Such thing is extremely common, especially with buzz-words. (It's not rare to see threads on MAL with users saying "So mid. 8/10.", when they just like the entry without loving it.)
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jan 10, 12:48 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Alexioos95
RobertBobert said:
Kids quite seriously say that manga is bad because it is difficult for them to read yonkoma, or that anime is better because it has animation and an actual soundtrack. This is the level where it is very difficult for you to justify disliking some guy and you say that his undercut implies that he is a fan of the Hitler Youth.

I understand what you mean, but i fail to see the connection with what i was talking about with the "real version" of a story ?

Unless you are simply referring to their crazyness about their head-Canon ? In this case, near all people i came across were simply joking, and not actually really delusional. I tend to avoid the 10 year olds kids on internet and their social networks such as Tiktok/Twitter tho, so maybe i'm wrong.

RobertBobert said:
Not to mention, the idea that the anime turned out great because the staff truly loved the manga, which is why the manga is bad, is quite surreal.

If the staff successfully sublimated the source material, experiencing the "superior" version first may disarray when switching to the "downgraded" one.
Many people uses words when thinking of another definition, and not the one you could expect of tho. For example, them saying the Manga is bad could really well in reality mean that they simply don't like it as much as the Anime. Such thing is extremely common, especially with buzz-words. (It's not rare to see threads on MAL with users saying "So mid. 8/10.", when they just like the entry without loving it.)
@Alexioos95 My point is that you can love anime without even touching the manga, but completely unironically comparing them on any parameters other than the story itself, saying things like "manga is worse than adaptation because it has a soundtrack and animation" is pretty weird. People are just afraid of being accused of being shallow and obviously ignoring GOAT material because of this, so they try to convince themselves that the manga was objectively bad and that's why it ONLY became a masterpiece because of the anime. Even surreally praising the staff’s sincere love for manga. There is nothing wrong with people liking different media forms of the same brand. But such debates for me are tantamount to comparing cold with hot.

What is typical is that people wisely do not use such arguments to compare any other manga with their adaptations, and if you say that Frieren or Oshi no Ko manga is worse compared to anime because the manga does not have animation and Yoasobi songs, people clearly will not understand this .
RobertBobertJan 10, 12:53 PM
Jan 29, 2:19 PM

Apr 2012
@Alexioos95 By the way, there is something else that I really wanted to ask. How different are both shows in their atmosphere and vibes, besides the obvious differences in technical level and soundtrack? The very strong spirit of nostalgia for late 20th century adventure anime was one of the reasons I fell in love with the franchise in the first place.
Jan 29, 9:10 PM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:
How different are both shows in their atmosphere and vibes, besides the obvious differences in technical level and soundtrack?

I mean, the only differences are the pacing, the soundtracks, and the dimensions of the screen. The spirit and vibe of the show itself is the very same, but these three changes can makes it feels different, especially if you have nostalgia for the old version. How much different it will feels, is up to you.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jan 30, 12:50 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Alexioos95
RobertBobert said:
How different are both shows in their atmosphere and vibes, besides the obvious differences in technical level and soundtrack?

I mean, the only differences are the pacing, the soundtracks, and the dimensions of the screen. The spirit and vibe of the show itself is the very same, but these three changes can makes it feels different, especially if you have nostalgia for the old version. How much different it will feels, is up to you.
@Alexioos95 So, if earlier you said that Kai is more faithful to the manga, then except for fillers and some changes, Z still captures the spirit of the original manga well?
Jan 30, 8:43 AM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:
So, if earlier you said that Kai is more faithful to the manga, then except for fillers and some changes, Z still captures the spirit of the original manga well?

Well, it depends on what you consider the "spirit" of the work.

The story and characters are the exact same. While some scenes were censored, some other were also added, more or less counter-balancing it. The soundtrack and voice acting match well. The storyboarding is great.

The only major difference is the pacing, especially of the fights. The Manga is fast paced, and the majority of the fights ends really quickly. Meanwhile, the Anime expands (a lot !) on them, by adding hundreds of exchanges. (Kai reduced it, but it's still more present that in the Manga.)
Honestly, yes, the Manga had these pictures of tall guys, shirtless, covered in blood and sweat, fighting themselves to death with punchs and lasers, but it's something that really was exacerbated in the Anime.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jan 30, 10:19 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Alexioos95
RobertBobert said:
So, if earlier you said that Kai is more faithful to the manga, then except for fillers and some changes, Z still captures the spirit of the original manga well?

Well, it depends on what you consider the "spirit" of the work.

The story and characters are the exact same. While some scenes were censored, some other were also added, more or less counter-balancing it. The soundtrack and voice acting match well. The storyboarding is great.

The only major difference is the pacing, especially of the fights. The Manga is fast paced, and the majority of the fights ends really quickly. Meanwhile, the Anime expands (a lot !) on them, by adding hundreds of exchanges. (Kai reduced it, but it's still more present that in the Manga.)
Honestly, yes, the Manga had these pictures of tall guys, shirtless, covered in blood and sweat, fighting themselves to death with punchs and lasers, but it's something that really was exacerbated in the Anime.
@Alexioos95 So, Kai not only removes filler and anime-only scenes, but brings the tone of the action closer to the original? I want to remind you that for now I'm familiar with Z directly through the 00s fighting games, so if this is significantly different from the first Dragon Ball anime, I don't know anything about it.
Jan 30, 11:18 AM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:
So, Kai not only removes filler and anime-only scenes, but brings the tone of the action closer to the original?

It's way closer to the Manga than Z, yeah, but there still is a visible gap, which is unavoidable. It's especially true for the 2014's Kai series, which had a different studio in charge of it than the previous Season, causing the overall quality to be lower (still better than Z, tho).

Generally, people actually do not like the Manga very much; what they want is the never ending fights. It's not rare to see nowadays' readers being disappointed about the end of the Namek/Freezer Arc.

RobertBobert said:
I want to remind you that for now I'm familiar with Z directly through the 00s fighting games, so if this is significantly different from the first Dragon Ball anime, I don't know anything about it.

Well, everything already was said in the thread. Kai is better than Z, but the community prefer Z for a few (valid and invalid) reasons.
You previously said that you would watch Z, so you just have to do it. You can always compare with Kai (or the Manga) during/after your run, and choose your favorite iteration.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
May 9, 10:12 AM

Jan 2014
It fascinates me that people still defend the tripe that is Kai. There is 0 reason to watch Kai over Z. You are getting a massively inferior product. Much of it is cropped, scenes are censored, voice actors were swapped out for seemingly no reason with worse fits, the soundtrack is a plagiarized mess, and so much is cut that should not have been. Kai lacks the gravitas so many scenes employed by truncating the length of every interaction, and massacring the speeches. There are issues with the dub's dialogue sure, but what you don't do is completely change what did work. "But muh filler". Don't like the filler episodes? Don't watch them.
May 24, 5:57 PM
Dec 2013
No. It's soulless and lacks a real identity. It's not a remake, it's just DBZ without the fillers and padding. And because it's not a remake, it feels like they took a lazy approach of showing events of the manga that take place after the third tournament arc, instead of animating it again with new animation technology. You're better off just watching DBZ and using a filler guide to skip fillers.
wildhoodMay 24, 6:02 PM
May 24, 6:32 PM

Oct 2013
@RobertBobert As someone who has re-watched both DBZ and DBZ Kai many times in the past, I say this: if you already decided to watch DBZ, the original one, in the nearest future, then go for it. The main difference between the two shows, for a someone new to DBZ part of the story, is the amount of episodes. It's because DBZ has a decent amount of filler content of various kinds (I will explain it briefly below), and DBZ Kai stays more faithful to the story flow as it was portrayed in the manga.

If you won't feel like checking up the manga after finishing watching DBZ, i.e. out of curiosity or to see how the story looked like in the source material and to admire Akira Toriyama's marvelous paneling and art, then you can give DBZ Kai a try after completing watching DBZ. As I said before, it's closer to the story as seen in the manga, due to all fillers getting removed. I'm talking here about both filler episodes and arcs, and filler moments intertwining non-filler scenes. It's also free from many stretched out moments known from the original. They had their charm, though I think you'd enjoy watching them portrayed from slightly different perspective when it comes to pacing.

After checking our anime affinity, I see you've already started watching DBZ. I hope you have been enjoying it so far.

People who are so salty about Kai and recommend to just "watch DBZ without filler eps" must've forgotten that filler eps and arcs weren't the only type of anime original content appearing in the original DBZ, lol.

Anyway, if someone might stumble upon this thread with similar thoughts in their mind, I sat that either way of consuming DBZ content is good. Dragon Ball is Dragon Ball, after all. You just need to decide which version you might find as funnier to watch. Both of them are great pieces of anime, although truth to be told, not to sound like a manga elitist, the manga is, of course, superior. ;]
AdnashMay 24, 6:36 PM
May 25, 1:39 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Adnash
@RobertBobert As someone who has re-watched both DBZ and DBZ Kai many times in the past, I say this: if you already decided to watch DBZ, the original one, in the nearest future, then go for it. The main difference between the two shows, for a someone new to DBZ part of the story, is the amount of episodes. It's because DBZ has a decent amount of filler content of various kinds (I will explain it briefly below), and DBZ Kai stays more faithful to the story flow as it was portrayed in the manga.

If you won't feel like checking up the manga after finishing watching DBZ, i.e. out of curiosity or to see how the story looked like in the source material and to admire Akira Toriyama's marvelous paneling and art, then you can give DBZ Kai a try after completing watching DBZ. As I said before, it's closer to the story as seen in the manga, due to all fillers getting removed. I'm talking here about both filler episodes and arcs, and filler moments intertwining non-filler scenes. It's also free from many stretched out moments known from the original. They had their charm, though I think you'd enjoy watching them portrayed from slightly different perspective when it comes to pacing.

After checking our anime affinity, I see you've already started watching DBZ. I hope you have been enjoying it so far.

People who are so salty about Kai and recommend to just "watch DBZ without filler eps" must've forgotten that filler eps and arcs weren't the only type of anime original content appearing in the original DBZ, lol.

Anyway, if someone might stumble upon this thread with similar thoughts in their mind, I sat that either way of consuming DBZ content is good. Dragon Ball is Dragon Ball, after all. You just need to decide which version you might find as funnier to watch. Both of them are great pieces of anime, although truth to be told, not to sound like a manga elitist, the manga is, of course, superior. ;]
@Adnash Thanks for the detailed answer. I guess it goes without saying that Z was what initially drew me to the franchise. But I was also drawn to Kai as a newer, more concise, and more accessible show.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 97 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kisami - Mar 27, 2011

82 by NinjaCode »»
May 25, 12:00 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 5 Discussion

Ishmael - May 3, 2009

44 by wallus81 »»
Apr 7, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 4 Discussion

Ishmael - Apr 26, 2009

27 by wallus81 »»
Apr 7, 12:40 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireReaverX - Apr 19, 2009

54 by wallus81 »»
Apr 7, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Danish - Apr 4, 2009

143 by wallus81 »»
Apr 6, 6:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.