Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 21, 2012 9:59 AM

Dec 2009
I just posted this to my profile as a blog entry (and it was originally posted to my LiveJournal on September 16, 2010) but I figured I'd cross-post it here. Since this club needs some real activity. =/

So. Does anyone else think Velvet Underworld is just Takehito Koyasu's attempt to re-live his glory days with Weiß?

I remember when the project was originally announced back in 2007. I read about it at ANS. I felt a morphing range of emotions at the news, from fangirl glee, to slightly appalled.

It is so obviously inspired by Weiß kreuz it's almost pathetic. As a fan of all things Weiß, I was of course intrigued for this new endeavor. Yet when I noticed way too many similarities in the titles, it started feeling like nothing more than a rip-off, like watching a horribly lame Hollywood remake of what was originally an awesome Asian movie. If that's the case, I would've rather Koyasu-san just push to make Lunatix into an anime. Anyway, when nothing solid came of the teaser poster and theme song, I basically lost interest. I admit, I had not been following its progress the past few years.

But I've been getting into the character image songs and music videos thanks to my friend tsuki, and am once again interested for the anime version, though my feelings are still mixed. I'm not quite sure about the characters and events depicted in the MVs as a whole plot, and I can't tell if some are actually antagonists or recruited under AYA; but yes, I already have a favorite:

Volt
Song: Eight Line Poem
VA: Souichirou Hoshi
( Watch on YouTube )

What the heck? Apparently I'm into the freak boy villains now. (LOL) I used to like the pretty boy designs, but ever since I got back into anime, I've been enamored with characters like Tendou Kodzunu (Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho: Tou). Although I still like 'em pretty, I suppose I'm drawn more to hardcore guys with the abnormal psychologies. I always did like crazies and misunderstood villains.

Volt seems to fit that bill. Design-wise, he looks like a blend of Farfarello and the Weiß OVA character Akira Hibana. It's the combination of white hair, yellow eyes, and the motorcycle attire. When you listen to the lyrics, you'll also hear "Kill You, Kiss You", which is comparable to the title of Farfarello's character image song.

Like Farfarello, he seems quite sympathetic. I'm amused by his deranged idea that he's some sort of superhero, but it's also rather sad. You can tell in the ending moment his disillusioned mind comes to before he kills the girl, and he looks shocked that she's not the alien-thing he thought. I feel sorry for him, and there's something appealing about that. I'd like to see his character progress into a full-length feature.

And when did Hoshi-san learn to sing? Granted, I've only known him as a singer from his slow, boring ballads from the NeoRomance events, but he wasn't impressive and seemed almost passive about singing; he looked uncomfortable, as if he were thinking about it too much. Here, he has passion, and sounds great! Yeah, not the best technical singer, but a lot better from what I recall. Now I wanna hear more from him! XD

As for actual music and songs, my favorites are:

Dry
Song: Labyrinth
VA: KENN (Kenichirou Ohashi)
( Watch on YouTube )

I love this song! Love, love, love it! And so far, Dry seems to be the only protagonist character I even like...

Vulcanus
Song: Live Danger
VA: Tatsuhisa Suzuki
( Watch on YouTube )

This character is very realistic (for a serial killer) and flippin' psychotic, it's great! :D The song is dramatic and wicked, and definitely showcases Suzuki-san's range as both an actor and singer.

The rest of the MVs are available from the same user (as well as most of the Weiß kreuz songs). Look them up ( here ).
hlwarAug 22, 2012 5:22 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 7, 2012 11:53 AM

Oct 2010
Is Velvet Underworld actually available to watch now? I was very interested in seeing it waaaaaay back when I first heard about it years ago, but the last word I got was that it had been dropped and would never air? I agree it really seriously looked like a WK clone but I was pretty curious to actually try it out. I've been very out of the loop with both WK and anime in general the last year though, heh, I easily could have missed it.
Aug 22, 2012 5:21 PM

Dec 2009
Actually, production seems to have stalled - again. (O_o;) I was hopeful for an anime finally since they made all those mini animations for the character PVs but it stopped there. The website hasn't been updated since 2010 after the last "Fragment" and drama album was released. Maybe Koyasu can't get any financial backing?

Shame. As much of a rip-off as it looked, I really did wanna see it...
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Introductions!

duotrouble - Oct 12, 2010

6 by duotrouble »»
Aug 14, 2016 9:48 PM

» [CLOSED] Gather the Hunters

hlwar - Sep 3, 2010

11 by hlwar »»
Jan 5, 2013 10:41 AM

» [CLOSED] Member Cards~!!

hlwar - Jul 23, 2010

21 by hlwar »»
Jan 5, 2013 10:40 AM

» Weiß music ♫♪

hlwar - Oct 7, 2010

8 by hlwar »»
Jul 9, 2012 11:53 PM

» Live action series

duotrouble - Nov 14, 2010

18 by hlwar »»
Jul 8, 2011 9:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.