Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 23, 2012 10:27 AM

Aug 2009
Contains Spoilers - Obviously~

I know not everyone agrees with the Sadist approach for the ending.

I totally do not agree with it, and the fact that it doesn't make sense at all.

First, Shu is the only one who can harness peoples pain and void, Inori cannot. So how the F*CK was she even able to sacrifice herself and take all the cancer and voids with her?

I know that we as the watchers/audience cannot change the fact that this has happened. But we can discuss what could've happened.

I say that it was stupid the ending, Shu had the choice of sacrificing Inori with him, he could've let he be as he would've sucked the cancer out of her, still why was she being covered with the crystals if she doesn't share Shu's void?

And again, how the hell could she take all the void and cancers with her to die and let Shu live? He is the king with the ability to actually take and harness other peoples voids and pain. So if in the end, he took Inori's blindness, wouldn't that mean he's filled of diseases e.g. HIV and STDs because he did suck the damn blindness out of Inori and cancers from other people from all round the world.

But getting to the main point. They SHOULD'VE both died as Saviors. That would've put me to rest properly and many other people too, but the damn sadist of 'Kanagi' decided to let Shu live, embracing sounds and memories of his loved one. Hah.

Shu should've died with Inori, or committed suicide withing "A few years later" period.
Mar 23, 2012 10:55 AM
Feb 2012
On top of that Shu had *two* void genomes at that time which should do at least something, right? If they're already pulling an end out of their ass why not make it the happy one? One that people could accept and sympathize with? But no, it's way more dramatic if everyone precious to Shu (fuck those friends; they can go die as far as I'm concerned) dies and he ends up being all "happy" sitting on that fucking bench listening to the voice of his love of the life. Only talking about it saddens me so freakin' much. What a fucked up and god damn ending.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Mar 23, 2012 11:32 AM

Aug 2009
GuiltyKing said:
On top of that Shu had *two* void genomes at that time which should do at least something, right? If they're already pulling an end out of their ass why not make it the happy one? One that people could accept and sympathize with? But no, it's way more dramatic if everyone precious to Shu (fuck those friends; they can go die as far as I'm concerned) dies and he ends up being all "happy" sitting on that fucking bench listening to the voice of his love of the life. Only talking about it saddens me so freakin' much. What a fucked up and god damn ending.

Totally agreed, seriously, lately, endings have been all over the place with no good conclusion. I like endings that show what happens after the conclusion like GC, but that was just Bullhorse. And like you said, two venom genomes. Apparently, he would've died on the second he took, but now he has two; shouldn't he be screaming or aking like the first two times he did it.

But still, that doesn't affect how the ending concluded. I didn't like Shu too much as he was a bit of a wimp, but because of that I liked him, weird right? But now I just feel damn sorry for the guy.
Mar 23, 2012 11:45 AM

Jul 2010
I agree with the fact Shu should of atleast died with Inori I've been seeing this ending twice and I finally understood it. WTF this ending should of been better.
Why couldn't Inori and Shu die together loved by one another just Like Gai and Mana.

They could of been saviors!! yes screw the friends that betrayed him. Sheesh I would of stayed with the one I loved.

Plus the fact of being blind why?he lost both girls both Hare and Inori.
ugh I expected more to this show!!I expected a kick-ass ending everyone would like who is a fan Guilty Crown but obviously it failed this episode I give a 9. 10 if they died saviors.
Mar 23, 2012 11:48 AM

Aug 2008
I also don't agree with this ending and actually I think Shu should've died with Inori!
It's so sad that A FEW YEARS LATER he is blind and the only thing he has is Inori's voice and memories of her. Awful! How could they end GC like that!
It's not a end that I was hoping for. I should be EPIC not NOSTALGIC. Well... I guess it doesn't change the fact that I still think of GC like one of my favourite anime.
But still... don't get it.
Also what's with Daryl? I really liked him! Why they did not show what happened to him.
And this blindness... I won't say a word about it...
Mar 23, 2012 11:49 AM

Aug 2008
RosyXkid said:
I agree with the fact Shu should of atleast died with Inori I've been seeing this ending twice and I finally understood it. WTF this ending should of been better.
Why couldn't Inori and Shu die together loved by one another just Like Gai and Mana.

They could of been saviors!! yes screw the friends that betrayed him. Sheesh I would of stayed with the one I loved.

Plus the fact of being blind why?he lost both girls both Hare and Inori.
ugh I expected more to this show!!I expected a kick-ass ending everyone would like who is a fan Guilty Crown but obviously it failed this episode I give a 9. 10 if they died saviors.

Totally, totally agree!
Mar 23, 2012 12:21 PM

Oct 2011
WTF people!
A sadistic ending is perfect for this anime if you have been following the plot line so far.
Furthermore, death is not enough punishment for all that Shu did to other people throughout the series. His blindness is because he must suffer for his sins as King. Also it looked very sweet the way he was happy in spite of being handy-capped and blind + the way he imagines that Inori is still with him while listening to her song – this shows that their bond is beyond space and time. On top of that the tragic element of him still celebrating Hare's birthday, if that doesn't arouse feelings of sympathy towards him and happiness that he is still looking forward to the future despite all that happened, you must be heartless monsters.
Aside from that the scene with Dayrl being saved in the elevator was awesome as well );
At least stop with the hate now that the series has finished

Mar 23, 2012 1:38 PM

Aug 2009
uzee said:
WTF people!
A sadistic ending is perfect for this anime if you have been following the plot line so far.
Furthermore, death is not enough punishment for all that Shu did to other people throughout the series. His blindness is because he must suffer for his sins as King. Also it looked very sweet the way he was happy in spite of being handy-capped and blind + the way he imagines that Inori is still with him while listening to her song – this shows that their bond is beyond space and time. On top of that the tragic element of him still celebrating Hare's birthday, if that doesn't arouse feelings of sympathy towards him and happiness that he is still looking forward to the future despite all that happened, you must be heartless monsters.
Aside from that the scene with Dayrl being saved in the elevator was awesome as well );
At least stop with the hate now that the series has finished

Was that a cake for Hare? The writing wasn't clear enough to read. We're not really hating, just putting across ideas of our own and how the ending sucked - which is like hating, but please understand. I kind of agree that he should suffer the consequences of being the 'king', but I do not think it was Inori's intention to let the one she loved suffer, am I wrong?
Mar 23, 2012 2:40 PM
Feb 2012
Yeah it was Hare's birthday so they were getting together to celebrate.

I'd agree, there is a difference between voicing your opposition to something, and just simply hating. It's a fine line yes, but to be honest, I like the show, but with the ending I can't justify giving it more than a 4/10. I'm not a hater, but frankly that ending just feels like the writer either:

A: Is a freaking sadist that wanted the saddest bittersweet ending he could even think of.
B: Wants to use GC as some sort of scapegoat to the whole mentality of: "Yeah life may go through hard times, and you may lose everything, even the person you love, but you can still be 'happy' in the end." - Frankly I think it's absolute shit, and the writer needs a cunt-punt from hell, because this feels like some sort of 'Don't be sad, you can still be happy in the end' crap because of all of the things happening to Japan right now.

The whole idea of Shu having to suffer for being king seems to me like a cheap excuse; he's had to suffer his entire life. What the hell kind of life is that? In the end he was saved by Inori, and yes I think she did it with the sole purpose of saving him because she loved him, and he understood that, but honestly, let the poor guy die with the one woman he loved, is that too much to ask for?

I imagine there for a while he was depressed as all hell, but after a while he got over it(or so they want you to believe) but that still does not justify the ending. There is this phrase, "There are worse things in life that death." - And here I think it's pretty obvious that even though Shu is still alive because of Inori's selflessness, it still sucks because of any anime where I hated the main character dying, this one was set up perfectly where it would have worked out great.
Mar 23, 2012 4:16 PM

Sep 2010
I actually liked the ending and probably am the only one, but it could have been played out a bit better.

I'm glad Shu lived since he is my favorite character, but its sad he has to live like that the rest of his life blind and without the one he loves that is the sin of the King you live a life of loneliness and solitude and bear the weight of your actions on your shoulders. The crown known as Guiltiness. (ok that was just me rambling my thoughts aloud pay no mind if it does not make sense xD)

Anyways bittersweet ending for him. T_T
RolokoMar 23, 2012 4:23 PM
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 23, 2012 5:00 PM
Feb 2012
i get what you guys are saying but some of you guys hate it just cuz its a sad ending and shu didnt end up with inori. code geass ending was much sadder, but its still praised. i know this isnt the perfect ending, but don't hate it just cuz it was "sad".

on a side note, the final battle between shu and gai.... wtf =\
Mar 23, 2012 5:03 PM

Sep 2011
ZGMF-BERSERKER said:
i get what you guys are saying but some of you guys hate it just cuz its a sad ending and shu didnt end up with inori. code geass ending was much sadder, but its still praised. i know this isnt the perfect ending, but don't hate it just cuz it was "sad".

on a side note, the final battle between shu and gai.... wtf =
we dont hate it cause it was sad, we hate it because its getting sad for no reason, it was a total asspull they made last minute to try and tug at your heartstrings but fails miserbly

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 23, 2012 5:16 PM
Feb 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
we dont hate it cause it was sad, we hate it because its getting sad for no reason, it was a total asspull they made last minute to try and tug at your heartstrings but fails miserbly

^ This

The 'sad' ending is fine, so long as it wasn't just an out-of-fucking-nowhere sad; at 17 mins in when Inori is walking forward, she asks Shu to stay with her, and he complies. I was okay with this, in fact, despite being sad, I liked it.

However, not even three minutes later, she has a complete fucking 180 and pushes him out of the crystal by having him take the string.... WTF!? So now she wants him to be alone? Damn it what the hell...

Most of my heart-ache came from that shock of, "Wait... what the hell just happened? Why is Shu coming out of the crystal... wait... wait no, this is wrong..."

The epilogue only made it worse by making it seem like Shu was happy and at peace, despite losing the only girl that truly loved him that he loved in return. The ending was sad, yes, and we were okay with that, but this was an over-the-top kind of sad that was just put there to rip at your heart.

In short, the ending isn't terrible because it was sad, it's terrible because it was executed poorly and in my opinion, was 'too' sad that the bit of 'sweet' in the bitter just didn't make up for, offsetting the quality of the ending and ruining it as a whole.

Shu and Inori dying, and then the epilogue plays through with the others celebrating Hare's birthday and remembering her, Shu, and Inori would have been spot on perfect, but they decided to screw it all up by having Shu live the way he did.
Mar 23, 2012 5:26 PM
Jan 2012
also don't forget this ending really kinda goes against what the series seems to have been building up to (at least my interpretation).
The opening scenes always show Inori mostly alone, especially at the end when there is the all natural scene (implications of after the apocalypse, when compared with the initial crystal scene), with only inoreeeeeeeeeen.
there was also the few episodes where inori managed to survive without shu or gai supporting her.
these kinda implied that she would be the one to survive (alone in the field of flowers), also with Haruka and others repeatedly mentioning how shu takes all the pain of everyone upon himself, surely the kinder thing to do would be to let him die, rather than suffer on (which he pretty much does in the ending).

I'm not saying Inori surviving and Shu dying would've been better/more popular, but it could've working better in the overall emotional ending and fulfilment. (e.g. shu's life was terrible, had a good time with undertakers, then died to save teh w0r1d/ inori wasn't a real human, but gets to experience a real life after the apocalypse).
Mar 23, 2012 5:35 PM

Mar 2012
Alternative endings? Either let both live or let both die. I think the fact that Shu remained goes against this whole idea (with the theme song and their dialogue) about being by each other's side no matter what.

Sure, Shu gets to reminisce by himself. As if the entire series hasn't screwed him over entirely already...
Mar 23, 2012 6:23 PM

Aug 2009
Jerichow said:

However, not even three minutes later, she has a complete fucking 180 and pushes him out of the crystal by having him take the string.... WTF!? So now she wants him to be alone? Damn it what the hell...

Most of my heart-ache came from that shock of, "Wait... what the hell just happened? Why is Shu coming out of the crystal... wait... wait no, this is wrong..."

Totally agreed. She was like "Stay by my side... I'm on your side" Im sure that not even 1 minute later, taking account that they were showing different scenes in the same timing, she leaves him. WTF?!
Mar 23, 2012 6:25 PM

Jan 2012
logic.... this show has none

I pity you guys for trying so hard to make sense out of this cluster fuck. I commend your effort though.

stay safe..
Mar 23, 2012 6:40 PM
Feb 2012
flaxman85 said:
logic.... this show has none

I pity you guys for trying so hard to make sense out of this cluster fuck. I commend your effort though.

stay safe..

It's not that I'm trying to make sense of it, I'm just trying to understand the clusterfuck of a mind of the writer who scripted the last episode. I feel I completely understood the plot of the story, since it didn't really confuse me at all, but this ending was just like a cold water slap to the face since everything really did point toward them dying together.
Mar 23, 2012 6:55 PM
Feb 2012
GuiltyKing said:

Last time I checked they pulled the whole script out of their ass. I was surprised they didn't do a CG ending though.
Mar 23, 2012 7:06 PM
Jul 2018
Lontaku said:
Jerichow said:

Totally agreed. She was like "Stay by my side... I'm on your side" Im sure that not even 1 minute later, taking account that they were showing different scenes in the same timing, she leaves him. WTF?!

I think she said all that so she could get in a situation where she could sacrifice herself so Shu could live. I think she wanted him to live and move on. Maybe she thought she could save him from the blindness by sacrificing herself.

I agree with the idea of the series ending is "living on, no matter what hardships happen." Maybe this is supposed to reflect the high suicide rates in Japan after the earthquake. I don't know when they decided on the ending, but it's a possibility.

Mar 23, 2012 9:27 PM

Feb 2009
Jerichow said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

^ This

The 'sad' ending is fine, so long as it wasn't just an out-of-fucking-nowhere sad; at 17 mins in when Inori is walking forward, she asks Shu to stay with her, and he complies. I was okay with this, in fact, despite being sad, I liked it.

The epilogue only made it worse by making it seem like Shu was happy and at peace, despite losing the only girl that truly loved him that he loved in return. The ending was sad, yes, and we were okay with that, but this was an over-the-top kind of sad that was just put there to rip at your heart.

In short, the ending isn't terrible because it was sad, it's terrible because it was executed poorly and in my opinion, was 'too' sad that the bit of 'sweet' in the bitter just didn't make up for, offsetting the quality of the ending and ruining it as a whole.

Shu and Inori dying, and then the epilogue plays through with the others celebrating Hare's birthday and remembering her, Shu, and Inori would have been spot on perfect, but they decided to screw it all up by having Shu live the way he did.

Agree with every word. Holy fucking shit, why did they decide to make Shu live? It makes no sense. That's stupid as hell, even for GC standards. Ugh. Damn this show.

The ending made me regret even watching this show, I hate that I allowed this show to annoy me even in the slightest way. I'm not losing sleep over this or anything but yeah.
Mar 24, 2012 3:37 AM

Sep 2011
The ending was pretty depressing, I have to admit. :(

I wish they'd make another season or OVA about Tsugumi's backstory - the fact that she said she grew up all alone got me kind of curious as to what her life was like and under what circumstances she lived in and why she was alone (etc etc.)

Also, I don't think the fact that Shu has two Void Genomes is TOO outrageous - I mean, he as a fetus has been bathing inside the exact same virus (in his mother's womb) that the Void Genome is made from. I guess he's just immune.
Mar 24, 2012 5:22 AM

Aug 2008
It's nothing like HATING guys. I am not a hater. I LOVED this anime actually but the ending has no sense.
Maybe it was too early to end everytning? They made this ending.. like by force, ugh. It hurts.
Mar 24, 2012 7:19 AM

Aug 2009
NinjaoftheFog said:
Lontaku said:
Jerichow said:

I think she said all that so she could get in a situation where she could sacrifice herself so Shu could live. I think she wanted him to live and move on. Maybe she thought she could save him from the blindness by sacrificing herself.

I agree with the idea of the series ending is "living on, no matter what hardships happen." Maybe this is supposed to reflect the high suicide rates in Japan after the earthquake. I don't know when they decided on the ending, but it's a possibility.

Perhaps, but really, I believe the audience isn't targeted at those suffering in Japan, but at us Anime watchers.

And, Inori couldn't have healed Shu because it wasn't his blindness, it was hers.
Mar 25, 2012 10:23 AM

Nov 2011
I agree that it would have been if Shu had died with Inori. It would have made sense. It would have been better.

In 'Xam'd', the hero turned to stone in the last episode, only to awaken at the very end and be reunitited with his love. We could have had something similar to this with Shu. He turns into, becomes trapped in, a block of crystal. Only to be found in the rubble of Ward 24. Haruka, or perhaps Ayase, sees Shu in the Crystal, calls to him, pounding on the crystal, only for the crystal to crack and then shatter, freeing Shu. Shu wakes up, surrounded by his friends and loved ones.

Still, Shu's blindness doesn't make sense. It's just one more burden, one more bit of suffering that's been heaped upon Shu. Needlessly.
Summoning Dark: "What kind of human creates his own policeman?"

Watcman: "One who fears the dark."

"And so he should," said the enity, with satisfaction.

"Indeed. But I think you misunderstand. I am not here to keep the darkness out. I'm here to keep it in." There was a clink of metal as the shadowy watchman lifted a dark lantern and opened it's little door. Orange light cut through the blackness. "Call me . . . the Guarding Dark. Imagine how strong I must be."

Aug 30, 2012 8:26 PM

Aug 2012
Lontaku said:
Contains Spoilers - Obviously~

I know not everyone agrees with the Sadist approach for the ending.

I totally do not agree with it, and the fact that it doesn't make sense at all.

First, Shu is the only one who can harness peoples pain and void, Inori cannot. So how the F*CK was she even able to sacrifice herself and take all the cancer and voids with her?

I know that we as the watchers/audience cannot change the fact that this has happened. But we can discuss what could've happened.

I say that it was stupid the ending, Shu had the choice of sacrificing Inori with him, he could've let he be as he would've sucked the cancer out of her, still why was she being covered with the crystals if she doesn't share Shu's void?

And again, how the hell could she take all the void and cancers with her to die and let Shu live? He is the king with the ability to actually take and harness other peoples voids and pain. So if in the end, he took Inori's blindness, wouldn't that mean he's filled of diseases e.g. HIV and STDs because he did suck the damn blindness out of Inori and cancers from other people from all round the world.

But getting to the main point. They SHOULD'VE both died as Saviors. That would've put me to rest properly and many other people too, but the damn sadist of 'Kanagi' decided to let Shu live, embracing sounds and memories of his loved one. Hah.

Shu should've died with Inori, or committed suicide withing "A few years later" period.

DIS!!!
"Love and peace, love and peace, love and peeeeeeaaaaaace! " - Vash the Stampede
Aug 30, 2012 8:31 PM

Aug 2012
they could've done better than this
"Love and peace, love and peace, love and peeeeeeaaaaaace! " - Vash the Stampede
Oct 5, 2012 9:19 AM

Aug 2012
Hi guys, I'm not really experienced in anime compared to you all. But, I want to propose an alternative interpretation of Guilty Crown's ending. It's late I know, since it has been around 7 months ago but I'm new in this "anime world" and I've just finished Guilty Crown yesterday. So, here you go.

The point is: Inori is still alive and she has become one with Shu. It sounds ridiculous, but here's some explanation.

First, I want to start when Inori's memory is getting erased (when Mana overtook Inori's body). Before covered in crystals, Gai told Inori that her memory and emotion "that constitute you (Inori) as human" will be erased. Then, Inori's body started to get covered by crystal. Right before the crystal covered her face, Inori dropped tears and voila, her tears become a rainbow colored crystal flower.
All I could say is, Inori's existence is now represented in that crystal flower, all of her memory and heart (emotion) has been materialized as the crystal. This materialization concept of memory and heart is not that weird in this anime as the next evolution step of humanity will be those materialized memories in crystal; the Void itself is a materialization of heart.

Because that rainbow crystal flower represented Inori's heart, Shu could draw Inori's Void from it. We could say that the flower is Inori.

Okay, then Shu beated Gai and I assume Mana was dead. Shu then get some vision about what would the new world (after Apocalypse) be and Gai told Shu about his motives. Finally, Shu got back in real world.

Suddenly, Inori's there again, blinded and covered in crystals. How could Inori be back alive? Wasn't she dead (her memory was erased)? Mm.. you see, Shu wasn't holding Inori's Void when she showed up. Where did the Void go? I could safely say that it's back to Inori's body. Mana's conciousness was disappeared and Inori's Void could go back. So, how could Inori remember Shu? Do you remember what Void is? Void is the materialization of someone's heart and in that final battle, Shu got Inori's void from the rainbow flower. It means that Inori's memory, emotion, or heart haven't been erased completely; it was all stored in that rainbow flower. Inori's heart was drawed as a Void by Shu and then the Void went back to Inori's body. So that's why she got her memory back and become a "human" once again.
Here's some simple explanation:

Inori's heart, memory, emotion => tears => rainbow flower => Inori's Void (drawed by Shu to battle Gai) => back to Inori's body (after Mana lost control) => Inori was alive again, as real Inori.

It has been long, but we haven't finished yet.

With two Void Genomes in his body (I don't know why it's seems no side effect on Shu's body), Shu absorbed all void and crystal from all over the world while holding dying Inori. Shu said that he could feel people's hearts. He then lost his conciousness and saw Inori. And, THIS IS IMPORTANT, Inori asked Shu to take the RED STRING, Shu took it and Inori's disappeared. All crystals were destroyed and Shu wasn't dead.

This is my interpretation, that RED STRING is Inori's life. It's not only her life force, but especially her heart. You could see a resemblance of that RED STRING with those strings which is looked like DNA circled around someone. Those RED STRING represents a person life, like Jun's and Segai's strings (which is cutted by Shu with Yahiro's Void). When Shu accepted the RED STRING, he accepted Inori's life. How could Inori's life be transferred to Shu? We could say that Shu's Void and the crystal helped it to be happened. Covered in crystals, their lifes were like merged.

How could the crystal disappear? Somehow those crystals are disappeared along with Inori's body. Inori's body is actually Eve's (Mana's) body. Mana's body was the first one to get infected by the virus, so I could say that the body was used to clear all the crystal. Remember that Inori gave her blood to Gai so Gai could survive from the virus? I think all the crystals are vanished along with Inori's (Mana's) body. We could say that Inori's (Mana's) body is sacrificed to clear the world from the Apocalypse. All things began from that body, didn't it?

So, am I trying to say that even without her body, Inori's alive? Yes. Inori's acceptance of her fake body is important in this case. From the beginning, the body was never Inori's body. It's Mana's body, her vessel. Even though everything's fake, Inori could accept that Inori is Inori, that fake body doesn't matter. Inori's whole existence wasn't stored in her body, it's in her heart. And Inori's heart had been given to Shu (the Red String). So SHU HAS BECOME ONE WITH INORI'S WHOLE EXISTENCE. Body in this anime is not really important, as we could see that the next evolution step of humanity is become some materialized memory and heart, the crystals.

That explained why Shu didn't become crazy or killed himself in the "after a few years". Shu didn't show any trace of sadness. Why? Because Shu could feel Inori's whole existence in him. Remember when Shu absorbed all crystal in world and said that he could feel people's heart? Shu felt Inori's heart in him too, thus her whole existence was in Shu. They have become one, together forever, and unseparable. HAPPY ENDING.

Well that's my interpretation after some discussions with my friends. I don't know, maybe it's cheesy or something, but yeah, seeing the ending with this interpretation relieved me a bit and I become not really depressed with the ending. The ending was disappointing to me at first (I agreed if Inori AND Shu died). But then, this thought came in and I hope it would give you guys another point of view.

P.S.: About Shu's blindness. It's confusing me for a lot of time and I said it was a major plothole in the ending. But, when my friend watched it again, he realized that Shu has been blind after his vision of the new world after Apocalypse. When Shu went back to the real world, there was Inori but Shu's eyes weren't reacted. If Shu saw Inori was alive, Shu would run to her and hug her but he was just standing still. When we watched it carefully, Shu's eyes didn't move even when Inori clashed to him. Even when Inori asked where Shu were, Shu's hand has to search Inori's hand a bit (just watch at it again). In first I doubted it, but yeah, there is no evidence too that Shu was not blind at that point. So I choose to believe that Shu is blind because of his vision of the new world. Inori was blind because she was become a full crystal (that rainbow flower crystal). So, when you are back from "the new (crystal) world" and live as a normal human again, there is some kind of side effect, that's blindness.
That blindness could be a symbol too in the end, that body (physical appearance) is not important again for Shu. Shu doesn't need to see Inori's physical appearance again to accept her existence because she is in Shu.
Waiting for next week anime gives me another reason to live.
Oct 15, 2012 5:43 AM
Apr 2011
I think Atseira's post basically outlines how I view this ending as well. If one pays attention, the small details that were odd at first do line up and make sense. For example, Gai only sees Inori after Shu shows him the power in a battle. Though, I did not notice the unfocused eyes.. that's a neat tidbit to find out.

Indeed, the ending does put a conclusion on things. That said however, the ending to GC was cheap. It felt rushed and was rather abstract. Character stories were wrapped up in a matter of minutes, with some outcomes spilling out into somewhat hidden scenes in the credits. The fights were more build up than actual fights, etc etc.

When you factor in the philosophical manner in which they were trying to represent the relationships that led to the end event, that's a lot of information to cram into the time frame episode 22 was given. In fact, this ending comes off like the producers thought they have 24 episodes to finish with, instead of the 22 they got.

If I could give GC a new ending, I would try 1 of 2 things.. or maybe both.

SITUATION 1:

If I was to give this a new ending, it would receive a longer time to explain these small and presently hurried details, and would focus more on the bond the character's formed as a unit, rather than Sui's overall feelings.

This would allow the viewer to speculate on comments made by these individuals at that time. When it's said Sui will show up, is it because he's starting to overcome his loss and hang out with them more? Were they concerned for him? Or is it because he's always there for people.

Doing so would give them some lasting memorable depth.

I would also insert an overall image of Japan still having a little disarray to imply the effects may be with them for a little longer. Does this lead into a season 2? Or will things get better? It's just good writing to leave this open-ended rather than just focusing on the aftermath of their emotional states. lol

SITUATION 2:

Take out the part of Sui breaking free of the crystal. This would imply he may have never actually escaped his fate, basically paying the "sinners price." The viewer could then wonder "Is everything we are seeing in the aftermath real, or just what Sui is now stuck feeling/believing." The abstract method of him using his power then takes on new meaning.. did he really save them, or are they nothing but a memory now?
LoneMoonOct 15, 2012 5:50 AM
Oct 15, 2012 6:42 PM
Sep 2012
Everything but this...How the f**k did he get blind? o.O

Also his 2nd void was able to take peoples diseases etc.WHy did that selfish bas--- didn't take Ayase's cripple?You are blind anyways...Be a cripple too and make something usefull once..
matrax2002Oct 15, 2012 6:48 PM
Nov 2, 2012 2:14 AM
Oct 2012
matrax2002 said:
Everything but this...How the f**k did he get blind? o.O

Also his 2nd void was able to take peoples diseases etc.WHy did that selfish bas--- didn't take Ayase's cripple?You are blind anyways...Be a cripple too and make something usefull once..

Lol Shu failed every mission without help from Gai. I mean, if there was a proper character like Gai himself to train Shu in terms of leadership would have helped him shape into a true hero. Taking the 2nd void is a turning point, and I thought he had learnt his lesson and be the hero in the end the hard way.

He was prepared to die. He was suppose to save Inori. if they died in the end together it would have been a more fully resolved ending. They've been through so much together, it seems to make more sense if they died together. Dying as legends and people remembering his sacrifice. If Shu had to live, I mean at least do like a Gurren Laggan ending man. This serie's theme was about epic-ness above all else. The songs, the artwork.... If these star crossed lovers die together, their spirit still lives on through the other members of the guild and the classmates.

Another food for thought: anyone have any problems with incest? It seems that even though Inori is Inori, she is still a clone of Haru/Eve. So in love with your sister's clone = genetically incest?
Mar 4, 2013 10:39 AM

Jan 2013
They could just give us happy ending with bout Shu and Inori alive in the end...
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Mar 4, 2013 10:45 AM

Dec 2012
It's been a while since i saw the anime, and i do not intend to watch the ending again just to comment... but i remember disliking the ending too... or did i? yes i did (i think)
Mar 22, 2013 7:38 PM
Dec 2012
I think the easier way to end it would've been if Inori and Shu lived they could've shared the damage both lose sight in one eye etc
dmcmahon806Apr 5, 2013 12:03 PM
Apr 8, 2013 5:56 PM
Apr 2013
Well, seeing that there is a lot of confusion about the ending, I though that I ought to explain it
and expose some of the harder to notice parts of the ending.

First, we need to realize that the entire story revolves around an apocalypse virus that attacks a person's life genome, the red double helix halo which Shu can also cut to end a person's life. From this genome voids are also drawn, explaining why a person dies when his or her void is broken.

Remember also that the Void Genome was first developed by Shu's father to be a cure for the virus; it's supposed to modify a person's life genome and provide immunity to the virus. The Void Genome is technically a failure because it failed to do what it was intended to do but instead provided the King's power , so even though Shu has two Void Genomes, he is still vulnerable to the virus.

As Shu sacrificed himself to the virus, Inori did not exactly sacrifice herself in his place. What we saw was Inori handing Shu a cat's cradle made of her life genome to replace his genome, which was lost to the virus. Since Inori is the reincarnation of Mana the primary host of the apocalypse virus, her life genome is immune and allowed Shu to survive the virus but also left him blind since Inori was blind when Shu found her after defeating Gai. This also explains why Shu cannot use voids anymore since he has Inori's life genome.

So the ending isn't as crappy as you guys think. Gai did tell us that Mana had to find peace and be gone forever in order for the apocalypse to be prevented, and at first Gai though that this meant killing her. However when he died with Mana the first time, Gai realized that Daath will just keep on reviving Mana through Inori since Inori has Mana's life genome. The ending where Inori/Mana's life genome is guarded by Shu was actually the endgame which Gai planned after his revival to stop the apocalypse and keep both Shu and Inori alive. Technically.

If another Void Genome was created and we draw out Shu's void, it would be Inori's sword. The King's sword.
SoThatsWhyApr 8, 2013 6:05 PM
Apr 8, 2013 8:31 PM
Apr 2013
Chill out men.. me too want to do a table flip every time i watched eps 24.. First i'm totally disagree with the ending but when you think again the endng it's not bad, did the ending ruin all of the masterpiece of guilty crown? because this anime is not a child dream story, it pick up some reality, for those people who just happy with happy ending and doesn't have enough mental will probably down the rating.....
But not for me i look on process not the ending(ending = adding spice) and it have unexpected plot and new kind of mess plot.. lol.. I'm enjoyed it.. ._.
Brace your mental bro, i not agree with the ending too, but well it's already happen what we gonna do? just hope the second season then.. ._.
Apr 11, 2013 5:14 AM

Mar 2013
I prefer Shuu to die than being left behind my the person he loves the most..
I don't like his state now: Being left behind by Inori, loss his arm and power, and then become blind. It's true he has friends, but.. I don't really think them as Shuu's friend (except for Ayase and Tsugumi). Well, they are his friends but they aren't in his side. The only one who's really in Shuu's side was Inori.
And.. Even if Shuu is with them, they won't be able to heal Shuu's pain after all.. Because they just couldn't understandl it.. Shuu's feeling..
In the end, he just become lonely..
Apr 18, 2013 10:03 PM

Apr 2013
kyriu said:
Chill out men.. me too want to do a table flip every time i watched eps 24.. First i'm totally disagree with the ending but when you think again the endng it's not bad, did the ending ruin all of the masterpiece of guilty crown? because this anime is not a child dream story, it pick up some reality, for those people who just happy with happy ending and doesn't have enough mental will probably down the rating.....
But not for me i look on process not the ending(ending = adding spice) and it have unexpected plot and new kind of mess plot.. lol.. I'm enjoyed it.. ._.
Brace your mental bro, i not agree with the ending too, but well it's already happen what we gonna do? just hope the second season then.. ._.

You changed the way I thought about the ending!
Jul 16, 2013 2:17 PM
Jul 2013
Just finished this anime 2 days ago and I've been thinking over the ending 2 days ago.
Is it bad or is it good?
At first, before reading this post I thought it was absolutely horrible. The main character left on the bench, being a loner, blind, remembering about his beautiful past... To me, that sounds like a hopeless and painful life. But after reading few of the posts, now I actually changed my view about the ending. It wasn't so bad afterall, Shu and Inori are united through their souls not bodies which is more important. But it was still horrible, he lost both Hare and Inori and those 2 were the ones that cared so much for him...
Could the ending be better?
Yes of course it could, I'd prefer to see Inori and Shu go together and the anime end with a memory for them both like some of the above posts said. I think if Shu and Inori stayed alive, that would've been too predictable because some shocking ending would be nice but not the ones that rip my heart :(
Out of topic: I think shu really need to treat his sis better...I mean like come on, first time you rejected her is agreeable because you was a kid and she was kinda scary to you. But Shu realized that Mana was seeking for his helps and he didn't helps her and then he got a second chance to help her...And he dumped it away AGAIN! If Shu wasn't so mean, the anime wouldn't be that tragic ( at least if he goes with Mana, he could've change her heart).
May 25, 2016 4:07 AM
Apr 2016
I only watched the anime recently and thought about the ending, at the end, Shu made the wrong decision sucking up all of that disease crap coz' since Inori had the guilty crown, either way she could've lived through it or could've been resurrected like Mana, and since Shu had his power, the disease as said was isolated and couldn't kill him. or I would've taken the best route....... yep, the Mana route lol xD.
Aug 16, 2016 8:09 AM
Jul 2018
for some reason im still mad at this xd
imo it was literally the worst ending possible i hated it, i hated it that i didnt even cry cuz of how retarded the build up was too it took them 15 eps to actually start the series that's ridiculous. I wish they will make an alternate ending like Steins Gate is making but it'll probz never happen since they dgaf

More topics from this board

» Pissed me off

rishamr - Apr 15

40 by kyouya_akai »»
Apr 21, 3:48 AM

Poll: » Guilty Crown Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ChronosXIII - Oct 16, 2011

384 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 8:36 PM

Poll: » Guilty Crown Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 13, 2011

503 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 8:32 PM

» Guilty Crown Ending Explanation/Interpretation ( 1 2 3 4 )

Xspy70 - Jul 21, 2015

179 by immaluckez »»
Mar 15, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Guilty Crown Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 27, 2011

332 by BrandonKnapp20 »»
Feb 28, 11:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.