Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 6, 2012 9:29 PM
Feb 2011
Clearly she died but what happened? I assume she tripped and fell into the lake and drowned but it was never explicitly states. Will someone clear this up for me? And by the way, great anime!
Jan 6, 2012 9:31 PM

Jan 2011
She died and attained JouButsu.

I don't think there were details to her death other than

-Who could have prevented it
-What led up to it
-How Menma's death affected everyone

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jan 15, 2012 2:38 PM

Apr 2009
It's implied she drowned in the river - she probably was running through the forest and tripped which was why one slipper was on the river bank. There was a scene where Jintan almost fell into the river too as he was running to find Menma, so it's definitely possible to fall and tumble at pretty high speeds into the river. Also when Jintan caught Anaru as she almost slipped down the hill to where the river, it brought up painful memories as he thought about the river. Finally, we get Poppo in the last episode saying that he saw Menma drifting further and further away on the day she died.

It never actually says it, but all the evidence points to her death involving the river. And that most likely means drowning.
Feb 6, 2012 5:32 AM

Mar 2009
I actually prefer it this way. While thinking about how Menma died It gives you an opportunity for involving yourself with the characters and the story.

Also, the characters just saw her dead, so even they did not see her die. Hence, we are in the same position as the characters. By this, there is a bit of flexibility given to us so they can draw our attention in thinking about how Menma died.
Feb 7, 2012 6:25 PM

Aug 2011
Aliens.

OT: I think it was pretty obvious what the animators were trying to display - she drowned in the river after falling in.
I doubt there's some deep psychological question behind that. She just drowned.
Jun 22, 2012 7:10 AM

May 2012
I almost thought that it could have been from her doing her balancing thing that she does all of the time. Maybe she fell in after.

But then in the last ep when Popo tells everyone that he saw it and it showed the flashback of him standing on the hill, I assume that she probably just slipped much like Jintan did when he was running down to her when she was looking at the koi in the river.
Sep 5, 2015 11:17 AM
Sep 2015
I thought that the group had done something?
Oct 13, 2015 8:13 PM
Oct 2015
I love you Menma 😂😂😍
Oct 26, 2015 11:21 AM

Dec 2012
Indulg3 said:
Aliens.

OT: I think it was pretty obvious what the animators were trying to display - she drowned in the river after falling in.
I doubt there's some deep psychological question behind that. She just drowned.

LOL. Aliens

Aug 26, 2016 8:33 AM

Mar 2016
drowned is my guess

Oct 30, 2016 6:03 AM
Nov 2014
To be honest, I think she drowned, she tripped downhill, hit her head and passed out, and since she was out cold she couldn't prevent herself from drowning
Oct 31, 2016 7:36 AM
Mar 2013
Ater yukiatsu confessed, she continued ruuning to find Jinta...consequently she tripped and drowned. I think thats it
Feb 4, 2017 12:45 AM

Jul 2012
I think she tripped and broke her neck before drowning, dying instantly.

Because Poppo was implying he had memories of watching her drift away.

If she was drifting away, that implies that there was no struggle, her body was just floating as she was already dead.

I thought the anime might actually go the route where Jintan suddenly dies by breaking his neck as he tumbles down to the river when Menma goes for the carp, with flashbacks to show that the Summer Beast that cooked the muffins was actually Jintan cooking them as he was crazy obsessed with Menma.
~ Ch-ch-ch-data

Visit my Discord community: VGData.
For games, anime, & music.
Mar 5, 2017 1:49 AM
Mar 2017
Everybody knows Menma fell in to the river.
But the question is how Menma fell in to the river?
Dec 14, 2019 5:08 PM
Dec 2019
Well I believe she died from slipping while chasing after jintan;after talk to the hot tall guy forgot his name and when she slipped she fell of the hills bank while one of her slippers falling off while later on drowned in the river, as it also seems like when jintan save anaru when she fell at the same hill as menma fell at the day she was 10 years old and died I'm saying she's ten because they were 15 in their older self and its been
5 years since her death.
Jun 19, 2020 4:10 AM
Jun 2020
I think Menma died when she chased after Jintan. There were scenes where they showed a shoe near the river bank so She might have tripped and fell down the hill into the river and drowned. Anaru also said that it would not have happened if she didn't asked jintan about his feelings for menma that day.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 19, 2011

218 by Grimenio »»
May 4, 2:10 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 5, 2011

389 by Grimenio »»
Apr 30, 10:52 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

xity - Apr 28, 2011

319 by Grimenio »»
Apr 28, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1236 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

387 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 7:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.