Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 1, 2009 4:07 AM
Apr 2009
This movie was amazing.
You're lucky to have a class where you had to watch this movie.
Jun 6, 2009 9:10 PM

Mar 2008
Just watched it today. Really good anime and movie, haven't seen something like that in a very long time. It was just a burst of fresh air. There were a few things I did not understand (the end for instance). But otherwise, it was a very good idea to see it till the end.
Jun 8, 2009 6:14 PM
Mar 2009
M_A said:
BatOtaku13 said:
i know this may seem like a weird response, but i have no idea how to respond to this anime.
i honestly think if 10 people saw this, 8 would hate it, 1 would like it but not understand it, and 1 would love it. the animation first and foremost is incredible how they change from style to style all the time. i just dont know if there is enough substance for the length.
so yeah, this is one of the first animes that i have absolutely no idea what to think about it.

Why would 8/10 people hate it, people are not that dumb. It's artistic and original, just on that merit, most people would at least appreciate it.

Few anime are artistic or original, and this is both. So 10/10 for me.

the reason i say 8 people would hate it is because most people won't be able to understand anything about it. most people will just see random colors with no real message behind any of it. 1 person like me will not get it, even though they really like the art. and 1 person will somehow find a lot of meaning in this whole thing in some really weird abstract way and love it.
Jun 12, 2009 1:01 PM

Mar 2008
Exactly it depends on the perspective but to generalize it to 'most people won't be able to understand anything about it' is very simplistic. The message is quite obvious to me - that appetite for life is so strong that one is even ready to reverse time to go back and to fight for a life, regardless of the obstacles and boredom one may feel at times. Regardless of the style and the burst of colors, this movie delivers a message I rarely find in many animes, not that I have seen a lot. But at one point, one or rather I want to be touched and feel that the director does not take the audience for fools. So to reduce the movie to "random colors with no real message behind any of it" is limiting and rather inexact. But as you say, this is your opinion on the anime.

BatOtaku13 said:
M_A said:
BatOtaku13 said:
i know this may seem like a weird response, but i have no idea how to respond to this anime.
i honestly think if 10 people saw this, 8 would hate it, 1 would like it but not understand it, and 1 would love it. the animation first and foremost is incredible how they change from style to style all the time. i just dont know if there is enough substance for the length.
so yeah, this is one of the first animes that i have absolutely no idea what to think about it.

Why would 8/10 people hate it, people are not that dumb. It's artistic and original, just on that merit, most people would at least appreciate it.

the reason i say 8 people would hate it is because most people won't be able to understand anything about it. most people will just see random colors with no real message behind any of it. 1 person like me will not get it, even though they really like the art. and 1 person will somehow find a lot of meaning in this whole thing in some really weird abstract way and love it.
Jun 29, 2009 10:26 PM
Mar 2009
yanoto said:
Exactly it depends on the perspective but to generalize it to 'most people won't be able to understand anything about it' is very simplistic. The message is quite obvious to me - that appetite for life is so strong that one is even ready to reverse time to go back and to fight for a life, regardless of the obstacles and boredom one may feel at times. Regardless of the style and the burst of colors, this movie delivers a message I rarely find in many animes, not that I have seen a lot. But at one point, one or rather I want to be touched and feel that the director does not take the audience for fools. So to reduce the movie to "random colors with no real message behind any of it" is limiting and rather inexact. But as you say, this is your opinion on the anime.

BatOtaku13 said:
M_A said:
BatOtaku13 said:

good point. oh well.
Aug 4, 2009 4:09 PM

Apr 2009
Just seen this. I need some time to get it all, slowly. The escape sequence is one of the most powerful and complete I've ever seen, on par with the Higashi no Eden one. But this all is on another level.

Although, I must admit, I found the scene where "the sister" (can't manage to remember her name) is wearing balloons as breast and womb.. Quite disturbing... That's one of the things I need to think about a lot. :)

Instant 10/10.
Dec 17, 2009 5:42 PM
Sep 2009
I just watched this and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. It obviously takes a few watches to understand all the subtle meanings in this movie, but even without understanding everything, it was very enjoyable and thought provoking. There were more than a couple of times when I thought I had been drugged while watching this, and it wasn`t until it was all over that I realized the value of what I had just witnessed. I`m tempted to go back and watch it again right now but I`ll wait until I get the chance to show other people.
Mar 22, 2012 3:16 AM

Apr 2009
If it gives anyone some thought, I first watched the movie a couple years back, but when rewatching it for the first time in a long, long time, I've got to say I've appreciated it a 100x over now. Second time through was sickening awesome. Maybe I just grew to understand it a bit better over the years, meh, who knows.

More topics from this board

» Best sex scene ever!!

Oreki777 - Jul 5, 2021

5 by aru4l »»
May 12, 2:40 PM

Poll: » Mind Game Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 22, 2008

94 by Adriannitro »»
May 28, 2023 9:28 PM

» Do the protagonist end together?

theanimefreak95 - Nov 14, 2015

5 by R0ak »»
Apr 1, 2018 12:13 AM

» Masaaki Yuasa's debut film Mind Game getting a Kickstarter

GoldNautilus - Mar 27, 2017

2 by GoldNautilus »»
Mar 30, 2017 8:30 PM

» Mind Game Kickstarter

GoldNautilus - Mar 27, 2017

0 by GoldNautilus »»
Mar 27, 2017 5:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.