Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 25, 7:35 AM
Nov 2019
I've always noticed this show and how high the ratings get, especially newer seasons, but I've never seen a single person on any social media app I have ever talk about this show?! It's never brought up and I'm not sure why since it's so highly rated!

I have no idea what exactly it's about other than Chinese history I think? It's it action filled? Violent? Great story and characters? What could it be compared to so I can have an idea if I should binge it? I'm so curious but I have so much I still want to watch I want to make sure I'd enjoy it before I try to jump in! 👀
Mar 25, 7:50 AM
Aug 2021
Wildbergerrrr said:
I've always noticed this show and how high the ratings get, especially newer seasons, but I've never seen a single person on any social media app I have ever talk about this show?! It's never brought up and I'm not sure why since it's so highly rated!

I have no idea what exactly it's about other than Chinese history I think? It's it action filled? Violent? Great story and characters? What could it be compared to so I can have an idea if I should binge it? I'm so curious but I have so much I still want to watch I want to make sure I'd enjoy it before I try to jump in! 👀

Its good but the manga is just the superior medium, the anime after the second season is pretty good but its still heavily censored gore and story wise, but if you don’t mind shit cgi and bad animation for like 75 episodes straight, I would go for it if you don’t like reading manga, also its very good but Kingdom is definitely not mainstream, you will not see many people talking about it, but the community is amazing
Mar 25, 7:54 AM
Aug 2021
Wildbergerrrr said:

Kingdom essentially is about war and politics , about war generals and battles. Its characters are amazing and I would compare it to Vinland Saga (first season) and Vagabond, not as dark as Berserk tho.
Mar 25, 8:03 AM
Feb 2018
yes, i love the anime but the manga is better.
Just watch it, is good
Mar 25, 8:14 AM
Oct 2020
If you don't mind the abyssal cgi of the first season (which I didn't personally), and can watch it if the story is good then yea, start it, it's one of the best in the way the story is told, it keeps you interested throughout a season, I myself finished season 3 and 4 in just 3-4 days,

It's probably never gonna get mainstream cause of the first season not really being a very good intruduction with it's cgi, nor is the ost that remarkable, until season 3, where it's all fixed, and it's slow and political, the kind of stuff anime fans these days can never get into, if I had to compare, I would compare to fist of the north, it's also very action based yet slow storytelling anime
Mar 25, 8:21 AM
Jan 2022
i like the story and character progression. its worth it, if you have the time.
Mar 25, 9:30 AM
Aug 2020
Kingdom is one of the most underrated animes ever.
Even the first season, which is arguably the worst - mainly because is 90% CGI - is still phenomenal.
In the 2nd season the studio switches to traditional art style and animation and barely uses CGI and the story, characters and battles just keep getting better and better.
It's in my top 3 favorite animes.
An absolute banger!
Mar 25, 9:42 AM
May 2021
Read the manga first defiantly

This anime looks really wonky and you probably won’t stick with it if you do

If you do finish the manga and still wanna watch it won’t get good til season 3
Mar 25, 10:09 AM
Jun 2015
Wildbergerrrr said:

If you want the opinion of someone who was in exactly the same situation a few weeks ago:
I also always had a faint interest in Kingdom but never started watching it. Although I once watched a few minutes of the first episode, I didn’t continue then.
A few weeks ago, a friend of mine started the show and was blown away by how good the story and the characters are, so he convinced me to watch it. And what can I say? We finished Season 1 (39 episodes) in a little over a weekend.
So, yeah, give it a try. By now, Kingdom is one of my absolute favorites. And don’t listen to the haters who say the manga is way better or other stuff.
Mar 25, 11:17 AM
Apr 2016
Sure. It's rather unique military shounen. You have to go through season 1 bad art though. Second one is already mutch better, with 3rd starting being great. Main themes: participating in wars, ranking up in millitary hierarchy from scratch, friendships inside and outside of own squad and duels, politics and intrigues, especially the court. You won't find another anime like this tbh.
Mar 25, 11:52 AM
Jun 2023
As others have alluded to, if you're an elitist when it comes to animation, read the Manga for up to where the second season ends, then you can go to the anime when the animation gets a big overhaul. That said, I'm anime only and while I was bothered about the animation being very CGI heavy, the story and characters really pulled me in to the point where I didn't mind the bad animation. This show overall is probably a top 5 for me. Great characters, compelling story, awesome action, and the detailed explanations on warfare and tactics is so unique to this anime.

First two seasons, 7.5 or 8 out of 10 (mostly due to animation)

Seasons 3 and 4 are 9 or 9.5 out of 10

I'm waiting for season 5 to be fully wrapped up before I start that, but I'm hearing it's just as good as the rest.
Mar 25, 9:41 PM
Oct 2023
It’s a good show but you GOTTA read the manga. It might take a while tho :P
Mar 25, 9:42 PM
Oct 2023
Joche1 said:
Wildbergerrrr said:

Its good but the manga is just the superior medium, the anime after the second season is pretty good but its still heavily censored gore and story wise, but if you don’t mind shit cgi and bad animation for like 75 episodes straight, I would go for it if you don’t like reading manga, also its very good but Kingdom is definitely not mainstream, you will not see many people talking about it, but the community is amazing

Agreed. there was a panel sometime in the 700 chapter range that literally had a dude getting his head crushed in graphic detail by a boulder, you would never see that in the show, but it really emphasizes the horror of the battle.
Mar 26, 2:58 AM

Sep 2012
Short answer: Yes
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Mar 26, 8:39 AM
Sep 2020
Great story, as alot of people here already said, shitty artwork first season, gets gradually better. Another annoying thing if you watch subbed, they'll use the Chinese names in the subs, whilst speaking their Japanese names. This can be confusing at first.

I started the manga because I couldn't wait to read how season 5 ended and yes, it's even better.

But if you like strategy, a story about friendship and a MC who keeps growing and overcoming himself, this is an anime must watch.

Also if you ever played Three Kingdoms, this feels a bit similar. Over the top powerful commanders with the strength of a 1000 man kind of stuff. But I still enjoy it alot.
Mar 26, 10:50 AM
Sep 2021
For manga, its sale in Japan is always in the top 10 every time the new volumes were released. The story and art is masterpiece.
For anime, the story is still good but CGI in season 1 and 2 are kinda bad, yet you can enjoy the story.
It’s about history but surprisingly it’s easy to watch and more like watching other shounen that contain fighting/friendship/character development/subtle romance(?)/strategy/etc. scenes.
btw, the blood and gore in anime is nothing compare to bloody scene in manga.
Mar 26, 11:41 PM
Nov 2020
the anime ain't just good it's amazing as well as the manga
Mar 27, 1:11 AM

Jan 2013
I've always been interested in Kingdom, but yeah... I can't deal with that garbage. I'll have to try the manga up to S3 at least.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 27, 4:47 PM
Feb 2021
tbbeatstucky said:

Facts! You get used to the animation fairly quickly and the story and characters are amazing.
Mar 27, 8:16 PM
Nov 2020
Maxine1994 said:
tbbeatstucky said:

Facts! You get used to the animation fairly quickly and the story and characters are amazing.

it's literally one of the best stories I've ever witnessed
Mar 28, 9:27 PM
Feb 2021
tbbeatstucky said:
Maxine1994 said:

it's literally one of the best stories I've ever witnessed

Same and as a manga reader it has some of the greatest character arcs I've ever seen.
Mar 28, 11:22 PM
Nov 2020
literally!!! and ngl everytime Xin appears it's a sick moment so anyone reading this watch it!! don't listen to the season 1 hatersss
Apr 2, 6:47 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
As someone who only watches anime and doesn't read manga, this 1st season of Kingdom was a tough one for me at times due to the mediocre animation & CGI. HOWEVER, the characters, story and world are amazing.

To all the anime only people like me, POWER THROUGH Season 1, Kingdom is Worth every second.
- Justin T. Poindexter

More topics from this board

» Ou ki and Kyou

Hacker075 - Apr 25

3 by Justforseven1 »»
Apr 25, 4:56 AM

Poll: » Kingdom Episode 20 Discussion

KiraYoshikage - Oct 15, 2012

27 by Zedz_c »»
Apr 17, 6:53 AM

» Sub who uses the japanese names

L1ncoln86 - Feb 6, 2023

9 by ErwinsArm »»
Apr 13, 1:02 PM

Poll: » how is the dub for this

Homura24 - Apr 24, 2022

5 by Justp94 »»
Mar 26, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Kingdom Episode 26 Discussion

SilentTruth - Nov 27, 2012

22 by acilanelit »»
Mar 16, 12:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.