Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 28, 2023 7:04 PM

Dec 2021
There's not much information on this. Is it a movie version of the OVA series?
Oct 28, 2023 5:54 PM
Jan 2023
I guess it the US version of Area 88 OVA.

According to Wikipedia

"After Central Park Media's films license lapsed, ADV Films published a two episode theatrical edit of the OVA trilogy for DVD on 25 July 2006."

I have it in MKV format... It named it such way:

"Area 88 OVA - 01&02 [US Ver.]"

It a 01:39:06 sec film.
Oct 28, 2023 6:14 PM

Dec 2021
Thanks for the response. Hmmm... I think the OVA is 180 minutes, so this film condensation is a good bit shorter.
Dec 19, 2023 9:02 AM

Jan 2013
That entry weirded me out for the longest time, never found much information on it, searched through the japanese wikipedia page of Area 88 today and that's what I found:

``ACT I'' and ``ACT II'' were re-edited and released on Toei networks nationwide from July 13, 1985

the only domestic version is the theatrical version, which is a re-edited version of ACT I and ACT II.

Movie version (ACT I/ACT II)

Weirdly there is no direct quote that this is indeed the movie and that they are all the same things but I also tried to search around before and found no other mention of it (asked for a release date change on the entry page).

As things stand my theory is that when companies outside japan decided to buy it, it was the only version available so they had to come up and edited themselves an Act II/III version of it (that can be found on the net too).
So only Act I/II edited version is considered an entry and should be the same as the US version.

If it ever gets lower than that, consider me dead.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.