Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you find Gintoki to be impressive as a character?
Mar 6, 2023 8:27 AM

Aug 2021
It's undeniable that Gintama's handling of its cast is by far one of the most impressive things that series has ever done. Through episodic stories, you get to know every single character and without them, Gintama wouldn't be the same. To me, the strongest strength of Gintama has always been two things, Character interactions and Comedy. 

He literally gets overshadowed by every character even in his own show IMO. In terms of comedy, Shogun and Katsura are far funnier characters. In terms of character development, Takasugi literally overshadows him in every way in the final movie. In terms of moral code, Hijikata and Kondo have far stronger moral codes in my opinion. 

As much as I like Gintama, I do consider it to be 10/10. I just don't really find a whole lot of good things to say about Gintoki as a character. He has very little impact on the plot of Gintama, it's always carried by the side characters. He barely has any character development and always stays stagnant throughout the story. 

Mar 6, 2023 8:42 AM
Jul 2018
For me he ain't the best protagonist, but the reason why he is so good cuz he is unique and diffrent then other main characters
removed-userMar 6, 2023 9:05 AM
Mar 6, 2023 8:49 AM
Aug 2021
what the guy above said
Mar 6, 2023 9:23 AM
Nov 2021
Wtf!!! For me, Gintoki is the best thing of Gintama .
Mar 6, 2023 9:37 AM
Feb 2022
bro why should a grown ass old lazy man should have character development.
Mar 6, 2023 9:44 AM
Feb 2021
where's the option for "yes, he is impressive"?
Mar 6, 2023 10:13 AM

Jul 2017
He and luffy are the only shounen protagonist who get no. 1 spot in all of there show's popularity polls (could be outdated)

So he is very impressive protagonist
Mar 6, 2023 10:16 AM

Dec 2020
I will be completely dead honest here I completely disagree. Gintoki never gets overshadowed by anyone imo, saying takasugi overshadowing gintoki in the final movie in every way possible is such an overstatement in every possible way. Interacting with gintoki actually made Shogun a really funny character. Kind of agree abt katsura cause i think he is probably the only one of the characters who is still hilarious even without gintoki around but still gintoki for me is the funniest character.

What moral code you except from a character that is struggling to pay his rent? He still helps People in need even if the task is dangerous. Saying he has A little impact on plot and gintama is carried by side characters is soo wrong, you probably watched Kintama.

Gintoki, takasugi and katsura already got their development as we saw in their backstory.
So yeah He is a great protag as well as a impressive character.
HeadpattsMar 6, 2023 10:20 AM
Mar 6, 2023 10:51 AM

Jul 2015
Hot take: Gintama comedy is weak, but it's cast of characters is what is truly amazing about this show.

Mar 6, 2023 11:14 AM
Jan 2022
Gintoki is goated to me but that’s fair
Mar 6, 2023 11:34 AM
Dec 2018
Edwardelric707 said:
For me he ain't the best protagonist, but the reason why he is so good cuz he is unique and diffrent then other main characters

i absolutely agree with this argument, gintoki is so unique MC that ever i seen. he is one of the best MC because the uniqueness he has. and make him so different to another MC.
Mar 6, 2023 11:39 AM
Jul 2022
TheFounder131 said:
I will be completely dead honest here I completely disagree. Gintoki never gets overshadowed by anyone imo, saying takasugi overshadowing gintoki in the final movie in every way possible is such an overstatement in every possible way. Interacting with gintoki actually made Shogun a really funny character. Kind of agree abt katsura cause i think he is probably the only one of the characters who is still hilarious even without gintoki around but still gintoki for me is the funniest character.

What moral code you except from a character that is struggling to pay his rent? He still helps People in need even if the task is dangerous. Saying he has A little impact on plot and gintama is carried by side characters is soo wrong, you probably watched Kintama.

Gintoki, takasugi and katsura already got their development as we saw in their backstory.
So yeah He is a great protag as well as a impressive character.

yeah lot of people think gintoki doesn't have a character developement but he has one. he's has a character that someone can relate to, you know the lazy bum,alcoholic,gambler, perverted type personality. through out gintama gintoki become powerful because the connections he has with all the other characters, he developed to become a person more powerful than his master.
Mar 6, 2023 11:45 AM

Mar 2013
A
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Mar 6, 2023 1:35 PM
Nov 2020
I really have to disagree here but I can definitely say that this is a very subjective topic in the end of the day. But one major thing that I think you should understand is that he is meant to not be the funniest and most evolving character in the show. He is meant to play as both the goofy sadist and the straight man in many of his comedic moments. This is meant to be that way because he is the main character and the main perspective of the show so he needs to be somewhat absurd yet rational. Katsura is a force of nature so he cannot be used as a great main character and arguably these moments that Gintoki ends up confused by the idiocy of the people around him makes him more empathizable and when manages to outplay everyone including the audience, he looks cool as heck. Gintoki is a great comedic protagonist in my opinion. About his character evolution, I get that he really does not change much, but he's not stagnant either. Character development does not mean having the character change its personality but it refers. to having the character explored more, explain his philosophy, his morals, his reasons for fighting. The Gintoki vs. Takasugi fight is a perfect example of that as we see Takasugi's past and elaborate on how he grew changed over the years because of the pain he felt, and the thing is this past is also shared by Gintoki. We see how this experience broke Takasugi but we also see Gintoki's perspective of it all, how he really never changed from the start that much and how he stays in this path even after the things that happened. Slowly but surely, his rationale is explored and his devotion for his Shoyo sensei is intensified. Also, he does get minor evolutions like after the 4 Devas Arc, you see him start to rely on them more and at The Final, he feels so sentimental of his friends. But what Gintoki so much better is that even when he is supposed to be an unchanging brave main protagonist, he still feels emotions like fear, pain, and despair. Whenever he meets Utsuro, you can see his conviction wavering, his mind a flutter, he cannot reach him. You then also see him, so emotional for Takasugi. He rarely showed emotions like that and when something like Tama's first death happened, we did not see mourning but instead a direct action in ressurecting her. What makes Gintoki so great in the serious arcs is when it is personal to him, you feel the gravity of the situation, you feel that Gintoki is both someone to make fun of yet someone you should be afraid of and someone who ha suffered more than you.
Mar 6, 2023 2:41 PM

Nov 2022
Sanjay63773 said:
It's undeniable that Gintama's handling of its cast is by far one of the most impressive things that series has ever done. Through episodic stories, you get to know every single character and without them, Gintama wouldn't be the same. To me, the strongest strength of Gintama has always been two things, Character interactions and Comedy. 

He literally gets overshadowed by every character even in his own show IMO. In terms of comedy, Shogun and Katsura are far funnier characters. In terms of character development, Takasugi literally overshadows him in every way in the final movie. In terms of moral code, Hijikata and Kondo have far stronger moral codes in my opinion. 

As much as I like Gintama, I do consider it to be 10/10. I just don't really find a whole lot of good things to say about Gintoki as a character. He has very little impact on the plot of Gintama, it's always carried by the side characters. He barely has any character development and always stays stagnant throughout the story. 

Dude Gintoki is already grown character, he doesn't need any development. "character development" is for characters that need it hes already a perfect protagonist and the best character from Gintama aswell
Mar 6, 2023 4:25 PM
Nov 2020
Sanjay63773 said:

Gintoki develops over the course of the entire series. Not just in the final arc. Takasugi is a great character but I don’t think he is better than Gintoki.
Mar 6, 2023 4:33 PM
Jan 2022
This guy just a troll
Mar 6, 2023 4:47 PM

Sep 2020
Gintoki is a protagonist who, from the start of the series, has already finished his character arc.
In any event, what makes static characters interesting is seeing how they affect and engage the world around them. causing turmoil and mischief of all kinds. I can't really argue against any of your points. Katsura was funny as hell but so was Shinpachi, Kagura, Hijikata, Sougo, Madao, and Gintoki himself. That's the appeal of Gintama. I think Gintoki is a great protagonist because he's relatable, there's that feeling when you see a character for the first time and you know he's going to be an instant hit. Sorachi struck gold with a lot of his characters, considering there wasn't a huge amount of character development evident in most of them.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Mar 6, 2023 5:14 PM
Jun 2020
Gintoki is the absolute GOAT.
Mar 7, 2023 5:03 AM

Aug 2019
Since when was character development needed to make a good character?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 62 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sobzob - Jun 9, 2008

108 by decco6226 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Gintama Episode 63 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zeinzu-sama - Jun 24, 2008

72 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Gintama Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TechDragon - Aug 12, 2008

70 by Seraschi »»
Yesterday, 2:02 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 79 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

PandaPuff - Sep 10, 2008

163 by Supremestrawhat »»
Yesterday, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 58 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Monochrome - May 13, 2008

101 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Yesterday, 12:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.