Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 10, 2022 11:37 PM

May 2020
As many others, I went in with low expectations of the Rebuild movies. But god damn. Color me impressed.

It really feels like the creators of Evangelion (Anno) listened to a lot of the criticism of the original series and adjusted the films to make improvements.

The characters are soooo much more enjoyable in the movies. Asuka isnt a raging b*tch, Shinji isnt crying non stop, Misato still goated, and Rei gets much deserved character development. Because the films are so short, they rush a lot of the character backstories, but with prior knowledge of the series this isnt a huge issue.

Nothing needs to be said about the animation and fight sequences. They are obviously top notch. I'd argue they are Fate/zero ufotable level.

tl;dr - the rebuild movies improve on a ton of things while only really having the downside of rushing the plot and adding two fairly unlikable characters
Oct 10, 2022 11:47 PM
Jun 2012
NGE is overrated trash.
Oct 11, 2022 12:05 AM
Feb 2020
Linus_Li_Lelouch said:
NGE is overrated trash.

Yup based opinion. It's like a baby's first mecha. It shows they really dont know the genre and all the tropes eva did cringly.
Oct 11, 2022 1:08 AM

Feb 2021
Facts. Rebuild movies are great. They do some things better and some things worse than the show, but they're still worth watching.
Oct 11, 2022 1:28 AM
Feb 2021
The original and the rebuild are two faces of the same medal, the original gives us a hopeless look of the world, where the humans can’t really do anything, while the rebuild gives a vision of hope in the human beings. Both are great, I personally prefer the original since I’m more toward a pessimistic view myself, but I really appreciate the points of reflection it gives you, if it wasn’t also a big ad to sell more Eva merchandise it would have been even better
Oct 11, 2022 1:40 AM
Jun 2012
giffica said:
Linus_Li_Lelouch said:
NGE is overrated trash.

Yup based opinion. It's like a baby's first mecha. It shows they really dont know the genre and all the tropes eva did cringly.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Son…. I’ve been deep in the Mecha genre for 30 years. I didn’t like NGE as a kid, I still don’t like it now.
Oct 11, 2022 1:41 AM
Apr 2022
I might watch these now thanks. I was extremely uninterested in the series after I saw the pile of shit that is End of Evangelion.
Oct 11, 2022 2:56 AM
Jan 2021
Linus_Li_Lelouch said:
NGE is overrated trash.

One of the best sleeping pills is to watch NGE
Oct 11, 2022 2:59 AM

Apr 2016
Yes, Rebuilds were made so that even zoomers can understand them.
Oct 11, 2022 6:13 AM

May 2022
yeah, wake me up when people stop treating "raging as a bitch" and "crying non stop" as something irritating and something that needs to change.
even if it is fairly justified
i have nothing bad to say about rebuilds (damn i didnt even watch any), but your arguments here are something else..
Oct 11, 2022 6:18 AM
Jun 2022
Asuka is way more of a 'raging b*tch' in the rebuilds
Oct 11, 2022 7:59 AM
Dec 2018
CickNipolla said:
As many others, I went in with low expectations of the Rebuild movies. But god damn. Color me impressed.

It really feels like the creators of Evangelion (Anno) listened to a lot of the criticism of the original series and adjusted the films to make improvements.

The characters are soooo much more enjoyable in the movies. Asuka isnt a raging b*tch, Shinji isnt crying non stop, Misato still goated, and Rei gets much deserved character development. Because the films are so short, they rush a lot of the character backstories, but with prior knowledge of the series this isnt a huge issue.

Nothing needs to be said about the animation and fight sequences. They are obviously top notch. I'd argue they are Fate/zero ufotable level.

tl;dr - the rebuild movies improve on a ton of things while only really having the downside of rushing the plot and adding two fairly unlikable characters

“Color me impressed, they got rid of all the personality flaws and quirks that made each character realistic and interesting”

I’ll agree that they did listen to the criticism, and they made the rebuilds into more of a generic ‘action oriented’ anime series, but that goes against the whole point of the franchise doesn’t it?šŸ¤£

I’m open to discussion!
Oct 11, 2022 10:38 AM

May 2020
LukeG8 said:

i dont think u watched the evangelion main series
Oct 11, 2022 11:22 AM

May 2021
I haven't watched it yet but that kinda sounds like they just forgot to write his flaws.

Oct 11, 2022 11:46 AM
Aug 2021
I don't think that the changes are because the creator listened to the fans. I think that the changes are because he's producing them from a completely different mental state. NGE is basically and abstract look at his mental state as he goes on and out of depression. That's why Shinji gets with who he does at the end because she's a stand-in for his actual wife.
Oct 11, 2022 1:26 PM
Aug 2021
CockRock100 said:
I might watch these now thanks. I was extremely uninterested in the series after I saw the pile of shit that is End of Evangelion.

pls commit yourself
Oct 11, 2022 1:45 PM
Feb 2021
Linus_Li_Lelouch said:
NGE is overrated trash.

this is you rnšŸ¤”
Oct 11, 2022 1:57 PM
Apr 2022
Keya_69 said:
CockRock100 said:

pls commit yourself

Why? Just because it has Misato in it doesn't make it good. She's the only redeemable quality of the series. Can't see why anyone in their right mind would actually like such a mid series. It has a great idea but the execution is so bad lol.
Oct 11, 2022 2:02 PM
Aug 2021
CockRock100 said:
Keya_69 said:

pls commit yourself

Why? Just because it has Misato in it doesn't make it good. She's the only redeemable quality of the series. Can't see why anyone in their right mind would actually like such a mid series. It has a great idea but the execution is so bad lol.

dude out of all the things i like about eva misato ain't even top 5. still a good character tho
end of eva is the perfect ending imo and the rebuilds are a nice addition
Oct 11, 2022 2:03 PM
Apr 2022
Swagernator said:

What's there to understand? I doubt a millennial could comprehend what the show was trying to say. The only reason why millennials and Generation Z like the show is because they watched it when they were depressed edgy teens. That's why the flawed characters hit home. That doesn't make it good though. The show only explains a tiny bit of what it was trying to convey. End of Evangelion was only created because fans expected a bad ending. What else would anyone expect from a Psychological Mecha Thriller?
Oct 11, 2022 2:07 PM
Aug 2021
CockRock100 said:
Swagernator said:

What's there to understand? I doubt a millennial could comprehend what the show was trying to say. The only reason why millennials and Generation Z like the show is because they watched it when they were depressed edgy teens. That's why the flawed characters hit home. That doesn't make it good though. The show only explains a tiny bit of what it was trying to convey. End of Evangelion was only created because fans expected a bad ending. What else would anyone expect from a Psychological Mecha Thriller?

in my understanding of end of eva it's just an extension of the last 2 episodes of the tv series.
because shinji rejects instrumentality and the souls can choose if they wanna live.
Oct 11, 2022 2:08 PM
Apr 2022
TemporaryPortal said:
CickNipolla said:

“Color me impressed, they got rid of all the personality flaws and quirks that made each character realistic and interesting”

I’ll agree that they did listen to the criticism, and they made the rebuilds into more of a generic ‘action oriented’ anime series, but that goes against the whole point of the franchise doesn’t it?šŸ¤£

I’m open to discussion!

I agree with what you say. The characters being flawed really helped the series. I just hope they're way better than End of Evangelion.
Oct 11, 2022 2:14 PM
Jun 2012
FrootFroot said:
Linus_Li_Lelouch said:
NGE is overrated trash.

this is you rnšŸ¤”

yeah….ok…. lol
Oct 11, 2022 2:20 PM

Dec 2021
I like the Rebuilds because they give Kaworu more time to shine
I don't like the Rebuilds because they invented Mari and I wanna judo chop her head in half
Hi-yahhh āœ‹
Overall I prefer the original and EoE but I think Rebuilds are fun and cool too except for Mari
Oct 11, 2022 2:25 PM
Apr 2022
Keya_69 said:
CockRock100 said:

dude out of all the things i like about eva misato ain't even top 5. still a good character tho

How is the ending perfect though? I really want to hear why. I'm not just projecting lol. I just don't see why people like End of Evangelion. It ruined everything the show had going for it. Even Hideki Anno hates it. He made it just because people expected a bad ending. Shinji literally gets worse than he already was and goes full Redditor mode when he sees Asuka dying in front of him. He also lets Misato die. He stays on Earth because if he can't be happy then no one can be happy. It's just so mind bogglingly bad. Of course he ends up with the one girl he hates the most.
Oct 11, 2022 2:29 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
strong disagree about a lot of the points.

shinji and asuka in the OG series were some of my all time favorite, most interesting, relatable and well rounded characters in anime, the rebuilds sidelined and butchered asuka'a character, only to strip some stuff off of her to create that monstrosity known as mari and while shinji mostly had his arc covered in the movies as well, due to them being a lot more streamlined, i thought it felt less impactful and memorable, but i guess a lot of people that didn't like him in the OG series may agree with you about him, i'm not amongst them though.

i do agree about rei getting more love in the movies, didn't really expect or asked for that, but it was a nice surprise.

i also disagree regarding the animation, though it was bombastic and impressive a lot of the time, some of the cg was surprisingly bad, considering how much time and money went into these movies, not all of it as some looked solid, but there were parts that were quite bad, particularly and shockingly i remember some fights in the fourth one ruining my immersion, not unlike your run of the mill bad anime cg, something that contrasts poorly to how the animation of the OG series still looks incredible to this day and in my opinion did not need an overhaul.

i have other, more fundamental issues with the rebuilds, but such that may not relate directly to your points.

i did enjoy them mostly (the third one kind of sucks ass though) and am glad that you and others liked them, but still wanted to voice my disagreement to this take and my belief that not only that they do not improve, but that they are a lesser and for the most part, unneeded revision of a classic.
Oct 11, 2022 2:50 PM
Aug 2021
it's true that the hate and criticism that anno got from the 2 last episodes controbuted towards him making the end of evangelion. but the main reason (according to the eva wiki) is because the show had budget and censorship issues and the movie is closer to the original concept.
i think that it thematically fits because shit is deteriorating the second half of nge. in end of eva the characters also reach their character arc conclusions(gendo ritsuko especially asuka and shinji) . i also dont view end of eva as just edgy or "the bad ending" bc at least in my interpretation the last 2 metaphisical episodes occur during the 3rd impact in shinjis head. end of eva is a really nice framework for the hopefull and bittersweet message and themes of the last 2 episodes.
it shows that shinji had to end the fuckin world to realise that even though life is pain and there are boundaries between us life is still worth living (shinji chose to live afterall)
lore wise it also makes a whole lot of sense and fits in nicely with nge.

i also understand if you didn't like the weird montage during the 3rd impact. but for ne it was one of the very few times something pretencious like that really made me feel something. eva just has a very special place in my life.

if this sparked your interest i will strongly suggest you watch this video : https://youtu.be/rHIvs0Q-uKI
as it goes into further detail.

sorry for the long ass essay
Oct 11, 2022 4:22 PM
Apr 2018
Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 are solid movies, but 3.0 and 3.0+1.0 are insults to the fans who waited forever for them to release these movies.
Oct 11, 2022 5:27 PM
Apr 2022
Roving said:
Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 are solid movies, but 3.0 and 3.0+1.0 are insults to the fans who waited forever for them to release these movies.

dang I heard the ending was good for the last movie.
Oct 11, 2022 5:32 PM
Dec 2018
CockRock100 said:
Keya_69 said:

How is the ending perfect though? I really want to hear why. I'm not just projecting lol. I just don't see why people like End of Evangelion. It ruined everything the show had going for it. Even Hideki Anno hates it. He made it just because people expected a bad ending. Shinji literally gets worse than he already was and goes full Redditor mode when he sees Asuka dying in front of him. He also lets Misato die. He stays on Earth because if he can't be happy then no one can be happy. It's just so mind bogglingly bad. Of course he ends up with the one girl he hates the most.

Based opinion, EOE feels like an edgy fanfic ending of NGE… it’s way too meta and I don’t consider it a canon ending to the OG series
Oct 11, 2022 5:33 PM
Apr 2022
Keya_69 said:
it's true that the hate and criticism that anno got from the 2 last episodes controbuted towards him making the end of evangelion. but the main reason (according to the eva wiki) is because the show had budget and censorship issues and the movie is closer to the original concept.
i think that it thematically fits because shit is deteriorating the second half of nge. in end of eva the characters also reach their character arc conclusions(gendo ritsuko especially asuka and shinji) . i also dont view end of eva as just edgy or "the bad ending" bc at least in my interpretation the last 2 metaphisical episodes occur during the 3rd impact in shinjis head. end of eva is a really nice framework for the hopefull and bittersweet message and themes of the last 2 episodes.
it shows that shinji had to end the fuckin world to realise that even though life is pain and there are boundaries between us life is still worth living (shinji chose to live afterall)
lore wise it also makes a whole lot of sense and fits in nicely with nge.

i also understand if you didn't like the weird montage during the 3rd impact. but for ne it was one of the very few times something pretencious like that really made me feel something. eva just has a very special place in my life.

if this sparked your interest i will strongly suggest you watch this video : https://youtu.be/rHIvs0Q-uKI
as it goes into further detail.

sorry for the long ass essay

I guess I'll watch them. I'll watch that video you linked too. https://youtu.be/ZnihGeRjG3U Here's a video that's close to my view so you can understand better.
Oct 11, 2022 5:35 PM
Apr 2022
TemporaryPortal said:
CockRock100 said:

Based opinion, EOE feels like an edgy fanfic ending of NGE… it’s way too meta and I don’t consider it a canon ending to the OG series

Based opinion on My Anime List? Based.
Oct 11, 2022 5:37 PM
Struggler

Dec 2020
Glad to see you actually changed your mind and decided to watch the rebuilds, they've got some really solid stuff, my personal favorite being

Oct 11, 2022 6:48 PM
Feb 2020
I love that the main criticisms people have against the original show (including EOE) boils down to characters being eerily realistic, flawed and visibly emotional humans who are capable of having toxic thoughts and ideas at times.
Discussing Evengelion could take hours and hours, but the basic gist of it is that Shinji and the rest of the cast are not supposed to be people you must know you could be friends with irl to like them as characters.
For all I know, we all might have met a Shinji or an Asuka at some random point in our lives as teenagers, I suppose you wouldn't go out and tell those people they're "bad characters", "crybabies" and whatnot lol.
You are never gonna live a full life where the people around you are not making you feel uncomfortable many times - after all, that is one thing that goes in with all the anti-escapist business of the show.
Is this character a dick? is this one a bit of uncomfortable to be around? is that other one a bit ethically sus? That's life! And I'm so glad they incorporated that realistic component into the show and the movie! People like that exist! If you don't like it, don't watch anti-escapist anime, go watch something else!
Oct 11, 2022 7:23 PM

Jan 2022
I have a lot of Mixed emotions about the Rebuilds but I do agree with most of these points. Rei Q has fantastic character development and remains my favorite Rei incarnation. Kaworu actually seems like he has a purpose with some foreshadowing built into the story rather than some idea that Anno came up with way too late.

I do disagree with your point on this:

CickNipolla said:
LukeG8 said:

i dont think u watched the evangelion main series
You are entitled to a different opinion, but I thought that while Asuka Langley was mean, most of the time it was silly tsundere that doesn’t know how to control their feelings around the opposite sex kind of mean. She was still nuts but hey that's why we love her. Shikinami on the other hand was just straight up nasty. Here’s an in-depth analysis video if you want to know where I’m coming from.

Yes I have seen both series. Also the Manga allegedly does all of these things you mentioned much better with out the flaws of the rebuilds.
-insert NGE meme here-
Oct 11, 2022 8:34 PM
cool title here
Mar 2022
i've only seen the original and loved it, specifically because of EoE tho. why does nge get sm hate, it was so entertaining and o loved the background meanings šŸ˜­. from an action standpoint it's boring but i don't really think the action was the main focus of the show.
~ Frost
Oct 12, 2022 1:05 AM

May 2020
just watched the last movie....

nvm these movies are awful
Oct 12, 2022 1:05 AM

May 2020
just watched the last movie....

nvm these movies are awful
Oct 12, 2022 1:09 AM
Jan 2022
“I sure do love how they reanimated the scenes that sexualized children to make them more explicit”
Oct 12, 2022 11:46 AM
Jul 2011
Linus_Li_Lelouch said:
NGE is overrated trash.

Why its overrated? Original has that depressing atmosphere which rebuild lost by the second film.
Oct 12, 2022 12:20 PM
Jul 2011
That’s the point. Not all the fans can accept change in characters. For me shinji from rebuild appears angular summary of shounen male protagonist. And it ruins all the atmosphere. In original series shinji is crybaby for a reason, asuka is mad bitch for a reason, ayanami has strong inner problems too. Rebuild is attempt to make story more laid back. But some fans doesnt want it to be more laid back, they want it to be light and funny as another shounen series. Thats why movies gets all the hate.
Oct 12, 2022 2:14 PM
Mar 2021
CockRock100 said:
Keya_69 said:

Agree. The Rebuild movies are my favorite Evangelion. Hated EoE.
Oct 12, 2022 3:26 PM
Apr 2018
CockRock100 said:
Roving said:

Oct 12, 2022 6:30 PM
Apr 2022
Roving said:
CockRock100 said:

damn that sucks. That ending is just as bad as EoE. Man know wonder I hate Hideki Anno. That's like a Prison School or an Attack on Titan ending.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 3, 2007

182 by bronzeagesungod »»
Yesterday, 9:56 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

226 by bronzeagesungod »»
Yesterday, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

187 by bronzeagesungod »»
Yesterday, 6:02 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

74 by PlentyDabs »»
Yesterday, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 27, 6:44 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.