Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 29, 2021 12:56 PM
Dec 2020
Can anyone help me...I am so confused in which order to start...watched a couple of videos on yt and didn't understand sh*t...so please guide me :)
Jun 29, 2021 1:05 PM
Apr 2020
you can watch either fate/zero or fate/stay night unlimited bladeworks first. though fate/zero happens before fate/stay night unlimited bladeworks. i reccomend:
unlimited blade > heavens feel > zero

the rest of the fate franchise are not in the same story. but they also contain the same elements.
Jun 29, 2021 1:08 PM

Jun 2016
I recommend watching the three versions of fate/stay night fitst (or read the VN) because they came out first, then move to fate/zero and then watch (or play/read) whatever you find interesting because the order doesn't matter from that point on.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 29, 2021 1:09 PM

Aug 2013
Watch UBW first for sure, it's up for debate but generally that's the advice for a whole bunch of reasons that a new viewer shouldn't worry too much about.

As the guy above me said UBW -> Heaven's Feel -> Zero
Jun 29, 2021 1:09 PM
Oct 2020
I personally watched Zero > UBW and didn’t feel spoiled or anything. It’s just a prequel.

I haven’t seen Heavens Feel yet though since I’m waiting for the to go to streaming
Jun 29, 2021 1:10 PM
Nov 2020
I started watching Fate/Stay Night
Then next I went to Fate/Zero followed by Fate/Zero 2nd Season...*which I'm currently watching*
Jun 29, 2021 1:10 PM
Jan 2021
Unlimited Bladeworks > Heaven's Feel > Zero > Stay night 2006 (optional, if you want to know more about the universe and want to see Saber route)

The rest are another stories, watch them in any order and enjoy Fate ;3.
Jun 29, 2021 1:19 PM
Dec 2020
Zero is the best starting point imo. While there are many details that you would miss without the context of stay night, I believe that it sets up stay night better as watching stay night first spoils a lot of zero where as zero does have mild spoilers for stay night, but you probably wouldn’t notice them. Also if you see a 2006 stay night just don’t watch it🙂. Also if you are interested in the visual novel I highly recommended it, you don’t need to read all 3 routes but reading at least the “fate”route (saber route) gives a better understanding of the lore and I found to be enjoyable. Last of all, you may see many other fate spin-offs such as apocrypha and prisma illya, those aren’t necessary as they are spin-offs and aren’t related to the main timeline. Sorry if this was too long or I made it confusing, feel free to ask questions😁.

TL:DR watch fate zero -> Fate/stay night visual novel saber route (optional) -> fate/stay night unlimited blade works anime -> fate stay night heavens feel movies
kosmicburgerzJun 29, 2021 1:24 PM
Jun 29, 2021 1:21 PM
Jun 2016
I suggest this order:

1- Fate/Zero
2- Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
3- Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel
After that you can watch any other fate release.

Note: only Fate/Zero and stay night are related to the main storyline. other Fate releases are only spin-offs and most of them take place in alternative universes.
Jun 29, 2021 1:23 PM
Aug 2015
The fact that everyone is saying a different order is not helping him at all.

Just keep in mind no matter what choice you choose it won't be the perfect one.

Like trust me i researched 2 hours and everyone is contradicting, even the reddit guide is totally contradicting ufotable explication and the author also said something different.

So don't worry about it so much.
Jun 29, 2021 1:27 PM
Dec 2020
AlexAN1 said:

Like trust me i researched 2 hours and everyone is contradicting, even the reddit guide is totally contradicting ufotable explication and the author also said something different.

I do have my own preference but I agree with what you said. As long as you watch unlimited blade works before heavens feel, you should be fine.
Jun 29, 2021 1:31 PM
Dec 2020
1. Fate zero
2. Fate stay night : unlimited blade works
3. Fate stay night : heavens feel movies
Jun 29, 2021 1:50 PM
Jun 2021
Edit, realised my mistake, I didn’t watch in release order.

My 2 cents worth, following order.

Fate/stay night 2006 version
Fate/stay night UBW
Fate/Zero

My reasons for this are (I think I’ve avoided spoilers)

1. 2006 gets a bad rap, but actually it’s quite good. UBW is better and Zero better still IMO. So the as you watch each series it should start well and get better.
2. Watching Zero first answers some questions that I think are best not known for the 2006 series, like who Saber is. Let’s just say initially I made the same mistake as Gilles de Rais in Fate/Zero, but guessing made it more interesting. The 2006 and UBW series references the previous Grail War in a manner suggesting you as the viewer don’t know what happened, putting you in the same position as the main protagonist.

Obviously you have then got the three films to contend with. I have only watched the first one. I’m waiting until I can get hold of the third before watching the second.
Winners84Jun 29, 2021 1:59 PM
Jun 29, 2021 2:28 PM
Dec 2020
Thanks for all the comments...got a better idea now...will start from tomorrow :)
Jun 29, 2021 2:40 PM
Jun 2021
ELECTR1FY2819 said:
Thanks for all the comments...got a better idea now...will start from tomorrow :)
Hope you enjoy them all as much as I did, and despite what I said, you can’t go too far wrong whatever order you choose.
Jun 29, 2021 2:41 PM
Nov 2020
baraa_hajhasan said:
I suggest this order:

1- Fate/Zero

Note: only Fate/Zero and stay night are related to the main storyline. other Fate releases are only spin-offs and most of them take place in alternative universes.
I agree with this order, I watched it this way and everything was perfect, I honestly think watching ubw and Heaven’s Feel before Zero is a bit nonsense, but that’s my opinion. I recommend this order!
Jun 29, 2021 2:53 PM
Apr 2020
Fate unlimited bladeworks then fate heavens feel movies then fate zero
Jun 29, 2021 2:54 PM
Apr 2020
ryive_ said:
baraa_hajhasan said:
I suggest this order:

1- Fate/Zero

I agree with this order, I watched it this way and everything was perfect, I honestly think watching ubw and Heaven’s Feel before Zero is a bit nonsense, but that’s my opinion. I recommend this order!
wdym nonsense 💀,that’s literally the order the source material released in,the studio just messed up the order.
Jun 29, 2021 3:07 PM
Nov 2020
1. Fate/Zero
2. Unlimited Blade Works
3. Heavens Feel
Then whatever the hell you want after that none of it matters really after that
also if anyone tells you to watch UBW first ignore them they are wrong Fate/Zero is the only place you should start at
Jun 29, 2021 3:14 PM

Jun 2015
Just watch Unlimited Blade Works first, can ignore everyone saying to watch Fate/Zero first
Jun 29, 2021 4:00 PM
Mar 2021
ELECTR1FY2819 said:
Can anyone help me...I am so confused in which order to start...watched a couple of videos on yt and didn't understand sh*t...so please guide me :)
Definitely watch Zero first! It's the best fate series and my personal favorite anime of all time. Zero is more a character study and the greatest rivalry between 2 characters. Fate stay night unlimited blade works is more a shonen type which is very average for me. Heavens feel is better than UBW but still average shonen story. Even if it's a prequel, Zero is amazing when you don't know how it ends.
Jun 29, 2021 4:05 PM

May 2021
VN people will tell you to read the VN or watch F/SN 2006 first but here is what I did and I regret nothing:

Fate/Zero both seasons ---> F/SN UBW both seasons ---> F/SN Heaven's feel trilogy.

You can optionally watch F/SN 2006 or anything else form fate afterwards if you really like the franchise.
Jun 29, 2021 4:16 PM

Jul 2020
Ignore anyone who says "watch fate/zero first" its just a bad idea.

1. The original Fate/stay night(However if you dislike it just watch unlimited blade works instead)

2. Unlimited blade works

3. Heavens feel

4. Then Fate/zero

Fate/zero heavily spoils Heavens feel and the beginning of Fate/zero will not make sense and will be boring if that is your entry to fate. This is coming from someone who watched Fate/zero first, im still made I did. The entire heavens feel plot is supposed to be somewhat of a twist but it wont be one if you already watched Fate/zero.

Heavens feel 3 kinda already doesn't make a lot of sense in anime format, but it really wont make sense if you don't watch UBW first, as they assume you already did.

Best option for the anime route is to get a feel for Fate is atleast watch a few episodes of the original fate/stay night(If you like it, watch all of them) since it will really boost your understanding. Infact, don't even finish it. Since Deen for whatever reason decided to add Heavens feel spoilers in the original fate/stay night. So just watch the first few episodes to get an understanding of it.

Keep in mind also, Fate/zero was made as a prequel and meant to be a prequel. Its always better to watch the main story first.

Best option though is to read the VN(obviously)

ItsMuZe said:
VN people will tell you to read the VN or watch F/SN 2006 first but here is what I did and I regret nothing:

Fate/Zero both seasons ---> F/SN UBW both seasons ---> F/SN Heaven's feel trilogy.

You can optionally watch F/SN 2006 or anything else form fate afterwards if you really like the franchise.

There is a reason people say don't watch Fate/zero first though. Which isn't only for enjoyment reasons. It literally spoils a lot of Heavens feel. Which is considered the best route(For the anime atleast.)
AnimeLeviathanJun 29, 2021 4:22 PM
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Jun 29, 2021 4:33 PM

May 2021
AnimeLeviathan said:

There is a reason people say don't watch Fate/zero first though. Which isn't only for enjoyment reasons. It literally spoils a lot of Heavens feel. Which is considered the best route(For the anime atleast.)

Jun 29, 2021 4:57 PM
Nov 2019
ELECTR1FY2819 said:

Here's a simple one, imo.

Watch the og Fate stay night, made by studio Deen.
Then watch ubw.
Then fate/zero
Then the heaven's feel movies.
Jun 29, 2021 5:14 PM
Jul 2019
AlexAN1 said:

I agree with this. You can the Fate routes or Zero first, but they both spoil each other. Though, I would recommend the routes then Zero since Zero was meant to be watched after knowing context of the plot.

It’s like Star Wars: You watch episodes 1, 2, and 3 after watching 4, 5, and 6 or else you’ll be spoiled for 4, 5, and 6.

At the end, it’s up to you how you want to experience the series.
Jun 29, 2021 5:35 PM

Jul 2020
ItsMuZe said:
AnimeLeviathan said:

RulyKinkajou59 said:
AlexAN1 said:

I agree with this. You can the Fate routes or Zero first, but they both spoil each other. Though, I would recommend the routes then Zero since Zero was meant to be watched after knowing context of the plot.

It’s like Star Wars: You watch episodes 1, 2, and 3 after watching 4, 5, and 6 or else you’ll be spoiled for 4, 5, and 6.

At the end, it’s up to you how you want to experience the series.

This ^
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Jun 29, 2021 6:08 PM
May 2021
Ahh this question seems to be asked just about twice a month. Basically as others have said Fate/Unlimited Blade Works > Heavens Feel movies > Zero.

Zero happens first but it spoils those other two on build ups. Not the biggest deal if you watch it first like I did but I was a little spoiled on a part that should have caught me off guard. Only plus side is you enjoy the characters more from UBW and HF more since you saw them before but I don’t think thats worth the missed opportunity to catch you off guard.

Btw we are all pretty much recommending only Ufotable productions for newcomers. Just stick with these guys like we said then come back after you seen this and still want more.
Jun 29, 2021 8:32 PM
Apr 2021
Watch or read the first three staynight routes than watch or read fate/zero than pick what ever Fate/ Show next.
Jun 29, 2021 9:37 PM
May 2021
It's really hard to say what the "real" order to watch Fate is. As other people said, since Zero and Stay Night are connected to each other, it's probably impossible to not get spoiled. (pretty much like Star Wars) So it doesn't really matter with which Anime/Manga you'll start. I do think it is better though for you to at least watch one of the Fate/Stay Night routes and Zero. After that, do as you like. I personally watched it this way, which isn't quite optinal, but it still worked and I can call myself a fan now:

Fate/Stay Night: UBW
Fate/Zero
Fate/ Apocrypha (Spin-Off)
Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (game)
Fate/Extra (Spin-Off)
Fate/Grand Order: First Order (Spin-Off)
Fate/Grand Order: Demonic Front Babylonia (Spin-Off)
Fate/Extella: Link (game)
Fate/Stay Night (Saber Route)
Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel

That's probably pretty messed up for many fans, but tbh, I'm fine with that order. At some point you get very attached to the characters and don't care if you get spoiled in later shows. Tbh, the games were really that, that made me attached to many servants and the series in a whole.

In short: Watch at least one of the Fate/Stay Nights Routes, to get a idea on what the series is about, and Fate/Zero, bcs it's awfully good! (It's also the prequel but I think you know that by now) After that, watch whatever you want!

(If I recommend Fate to somebody though, I always tell them to watch Fate/Zero first. The Characterization and Story writing is just so good in my opinion and many people that I know agree with me. After that, all of them wanted to continue the series, and watched UBW afterwards. It also has less fanservice which makes it more appealing to newers. At least when it comes to my friends)
Jun 29, 2021 10:03 PM
Jun 2021
I really can't get on board with watching either zero or ubw first. Imo, release order for main stuff is best, and the reason being is that each show subtly sets up for the next show and gets the watcher prepared. Fate/Stay Night gets the watcher wondering what happened during the last war and why does shirous dad matter so much, as well as hints to Illya. Zero sets up more of the lore for the entire world, and is built along by UBW. Finally, Heavens Feel takes a ton of stuff hinted at in the background for the previous shows and pulls it together. I understand why people are reluctant to start with stay night, since as a stand alone, it isn't that good, but it is an excellent build up to the rest of the series. Trying to watch it later will only be a chore, as everything stay night builds to will already be revealed
Jun 29, 2021 11:37 PM
Apr 2020
It's hard considering both spoil each other. I personally started with zero. Although it has spoiled some parts of UBW and HF, I still enjoyed it. But UBW and HF spoil the ending of Zero so personally I recommend Zero 》ubw 》Hf.
You can watch UBW 》HF 》Zero if you want. Both are fine
Jun 30, 2021 12:48 AM

Feb 2019
ELECTR1FY2819 said:

Either watch the anime in this order:
Fate/stay night -> Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works -> Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel

Or read the VNs in this order:
Fate/stay night -> Fate/hollow ataraxia

The latter is of course the better way to experience the story. The rest of the series is as follows:

Well I for one already loved Lain.
Jun 30, 2021 1:51 AM

Mar 2021
Don't forget Re Zero before Fate Zero
Jun 30, 2021 2:26 AM
Nov 2020
kageyomob said:
ryive_ said:
wdym nonsense 💀,that’s literally the order the source material released in,the studio just messed up the order.
The fact is that watching Zero first gives you a better knowledge of what’s happening in ubw, it doesn’t matter which you watch first you’ll get spoilers anyway although they aren’t that relevant. So I suppose you should watch the one that’ll give more sense to the other two routes, and that’s Zero
Jun 30, 2021 7:22 AM
Jan 2021
AlexAN1 said:

exactly.you could watch whichever you want in fate series unlike monogatari series and toaru series.no matter what you choose,it will still spoil some things.there is no such thing as perfect watch order for fate.the watch order is not the problem for fate,the only thing that mattered is the enjoyment you will get and this heavily relied on people preference.in case of fate,i recommend people to not take it based on people recommendation of the watch order but of course,you could take it with grain of salt as your based and tweak it based on your thought and preference.go check out some clip of fate on youtube(this would be a problem for people who really care about the spoiler),the character design and characteristics,score on MAL and etc then adjust it on your thought.

As example,i work my way up from the fate anime that least interesting to higher one based on the girls and characters that i like,the scored on MAL,the genre, people thought on it from (reddit, twitter,article, Wikipedia) and some clip that i watched on youtube.

This is my watch order of the anime and vn(don't recommend it on people bcz this based on my preference):

Fate stay night (VN)
Fate stay night 2006 studio deen
Fate prototype
All fate kaleid
Fate zero
Fate kaleid oath under snow
Fate ubw(studio deen)
Fate ubw sunny day
Fate extra
Lord el melloi
Fate apochrypha
Fate Heaven feels
Fate hollow atraxia(VN)
Carnival phantasm(i watched this after i watch/read tsukihime,kagetsu tohya,melty blood,ubw(studio deen),fate/hollow atraxia and kara no kyokai)
All Fate grand order
*Download fate grand order game*
Fate grand carnival
Fate ubw(i like rin so i save this for the last)
Dinner with emiya family(i watched this to chill down after all those heavy theme and fighting)

Yeah,once i get into something,i will finish it till the end.i got some OCD.
Jun 30, 2021 8:21 AM
Dec 2020
Kamirator said:
AlexAN1 said:

exactly.you could watch whichever you want in fate series unlike monogatari series and toaru series.no matter what you choose,it will still spoil some things.there is no such thing as perfect watch order for fate.the watch order is not the problem for fate,the only thing that mattered is the enjoyment you will get and this heavily relied on people preference.in case of fate,i recommend people to not take it based on people recommendation of the watch order but of course,you could take it with grain of salt as your based and tweak it based on your thought and preference.go check out some clip of fate on youtube(this would be a problem for people who really care about the spoiler),the character design and characteristics,score on MAL and etc then adjust it on your thought.

As example,i work my way up from the fate anime that least interesting to higher one based on the girls and characters that i like,the scored on MAL,the genre, people thought on it from (reddit, twitter,article, Wikipedia) and some clip that i watched on youtube.

This is my watch order of the anime and vn(don't recommend it on people bcz this based on my preference):

Fate stay night (VN)
Fate prototype
All fate kaleid
Fate zero
Fate ubw(studio deen)
Fate ubw sunny day
Fate extra
Lord el melloi
Fate apochrypha
Fate Heaven feels
Fate hollow atraxia(VN)
Carnival phantasm(i watched this after i watch/read tsukihime,kagetsu tohya,melty blood,ubw(studio deen),fate/hollow atraxia and kara no kyokai)
All Fate grand order
Fate grand carnival
Dinner with emiya family(i watched this to chill down after all those heavy theme and fighting)

we share the same birthday XD
Jun 30, 2021 8:28 AM
Jan 2021
ELECTR1FY2819 said:
Kamirator said:

Fate stay night (VN)
Fate prototype
All fate kaleid
Fate zero
Fate ubw(studio deen)
Fate ubw sunny day
Fate extra
Lord el melloi
Fate apochrypha
Fate Heaven feels
Fate hollow atraxia(VN)
All Fate grand order
Fate grand carnival

what a coincidence.although it have been a month since then.anyway,happy late birthday,man.
Jun 30, 2021 8:39 AM
Dec 2020
Kamirator said:
ELECTR1FY2819 said:
what a coincidence.although it have been a month since then.anyway,happy late birthday,man.
thank you and same to you ;)
Jun 30, 2021 8:41 AM
Jan 2021
ELECTR1FY2819 said:
Kamirator said:
ELECTR1FY2819 said:
Kamirator said:
.................( ˘▽˘)っ
Jun 30, 2021 12:26 PM
Apr 2020
ryive_ said:
kageyomob said:
The fact is that watching Zero first gives you a better knowledge of what’s happening in ubw, it doesn’t matter which you watch first you’ll get spoilers anyway although they aren’t that relevant. So I suppose you should watch the one that’ll give more sense to the other two routes, and that’s Zero
naah,watching ubw is the best starting point and gives you a better knowledge of the fate lore,i mean even the author of the fate zero novel said that its meant to be read after fate/staynight storyline
May 6, 2023 2:37 AM
Sep 2011
UBW  was unbearable to watch, especially when you watch it right after Zero. Holy shit, the writing quality gap between the two series was INSANE. I feel incredibly sad for the people who watched anything staynight before Zero. Imagine spoiling a MASTERPİECE to watch a far below average shounen converted from a shitty eroge because ''muh release order .s''
May 6, 2023 2:56 AM

Jan 2017
DeidaraSanji said:
the writing quality gap between the two series was INSANE.

Actually , not really , they have the same themes and treat them the same way. (Which is note a surprise , since most of Zero directly comes from flashbacks of the 3 Routes.)

DeidaraSanji said:
Imagine spoiling a MASTERPİECE

You don't spoil a Prequel by watching it after the Main Story , it's how Prequels work.
You are supposed to know everything , it's all the interest of this story : filling the blanks from the story we were partially told.

DeidaraSanji said:
to watch a far below average shounen converted from a shitty eroge because ''muh release order .s''

I mean , if you want to downgrade the worth of those works , then you can't do worse than Zero : It's a fan-fiction made by popular writer (who has now lost his talent) that was a huge fan of this shitty Eroge...
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.

More topics from this board

» I'm not interested in the fate series at all but

mydaddy - Yesterday

11 by filthyfrank8142 »»
6 hours ago

» The ufotable Production

BigHomieTrapa - Apr 11

2 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 15, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

a6342164 - Oct 29, 2011

459 by JacobRitacco »»
Mar 15, 12:23 AM

Poll: » Fate/zero Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 1, 2011

698 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 9, 1:25 AM

» Who's your favorite servant?

Ms_Muffin - Feb 19

47 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Feb 28, 5:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.