Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 3, 2021 4:03 AM

Jan 2015
Instead of going to the cinemas and (possibly) wasting my money, do anyone know which episodes of DC are in this movie?

Probably gonna watch the anime instead of movie.
Apr 3, 2021 6:22 AM

Jun 2017
Basically three parts: Department Store (Bourbon Arc) / Scarlet Return (Bourbon Arc) / Beach Flashback (Rum Arc).
Apr 3, 2021 9:54 AM

Jan 2015
xxmsxx said:
Basically three parts: Department Store (Bourbon Arc) / Scarlet Return (Bourbon Arc) / Beach Flashback (Rum Arc).

Alright, thanks! Time to do some research and binge these bad boys.
Apr 4, 2021 6:27 PM
Jun 2019
xxmsxx said:

There is also some more:
For sera:
the haunted hotel(sera first appearance), the ogura ramen 2, the romance novel writer(the old bold dude and the girl editor one)
For Haneda:
The one where Haneda lived next to the murder cases(the one we know that Haneda is the meijin),
Kuroo___Apr 4, 2021 6:31 PM
Apr 16, 2021 2:43 PM

May 2009
I grew bored of the anime back in the late 500s or early 600s, but I still read the manga and keep up with the movie releases as best I can, especially since I'm back in the US now and have to rely on online releases for the movies (the 2018 movie was the last one I would've been able to see...bought a ticket for opening weekend, like I'd done with the previous films, but didn't have the opportunity to actually see it in the theater due to my preparing my move back to the US). By the sounds of it, though, the episodes that this film is made up on, wasn't done very well. I'm not sure if I'd want to watch it and just seek out episodes, or better yet, seek out the chapters from the manga that the movie is based around.
xxmsxx said:
The Beach Flashback arc is the main one that's semi-fresh in my memory manga wise as there were things about it that bugged me, but this is entirely on Gosho. I hate the floating timeline thing with the series and wish that it wouldn't do flashbacks so much given when those flashbacks SHOULD be taking place. For instance, that Beach arc should've taken place in the 80s.
ssjup81Apr 22, 2021 1:37 AM
Apr 16, 2021 5:42 PM

Jun 2017
ssjup81 said:
For instance, that Beach arc should've taken place in the 80s.

I would not place the series in the 1990s, even if that is when the manga started. If you look carefully, in DC, time is relative (3 years ago / 1 years ago / 10 years ago etc), not absolute (1999 / 2009 / 2020). So Ep.1 to Ep. 1003 are DC Year 1, we are only a few months into the story after all. Whereas the Beach Episodes are DC Year -10.
Apr 22, 2021 1:35 AM

May 2009
xxmsxx said:
ssjup81 said:
For instance, that Beach arc should've taken place in the 80s.

I would not place the series in the 1990s, even if that is when the manga started. If you look carefully, in DC, time is relative (3 years ago / 1 years ago / 10 years ago etc), not absolute (1999 / 2009 / 2020). So Ep.1 to Ep. 1003 are DC Year 1, we are only a few months into the story after all. Whereas the Beach Episodes are DC Year -10.
But none of the characters have aged. They even have a Sky Tree equivalent in-world now. They also update the tech to match the times. Most everyone use smartphones now, but in Japan, flip phones are still used there, but mostly business/company phones.

This series has a floating timeline. It's like the Simpsons. That has a floating timeline and with flashbacks, they change stuff to fit the time. Like how all of the Simpson kids would've been born in the 80s. Homer and Marge graduated in 1974 when the show started. Lisa was born in '84 (the Olympics were mentioned). But they keep retconning. They've had eps where Homer and Marge met in the 90s. Family Guy does this too.

So yeah, the series acts as if very little time has gone by, but there are things in the series that indicates time has passed by. It's just a pet peeve of mine. I would rather it have a timeless feel, like Sazae-san does. Its anime started in the late 60s (manga started in the 40s) and the anime still airs now, but you'd never guess that it's set in a modern time. I know these two series are different, but I'd rather have the series taking place in 1994 (manga)/1996 (anime) and just have the professor make gadgets that are more modern.
Apr 22, 2021 8:18 AM

Jun 2017
ssjup81 said:
But none of the characters have aged

Because only "a few months" has passed since the start of the main plot. The fact that the characters labelled the passing of time as "a few months" tell you that time is relative. They did not say anything like "we are in March now, it was November when we....."

There are also two sets of relative time as well. One for the Main Plot Line. One for everyone else.

The relativity of time is quite important to the overall story. For example, in File 1061, the code they used is exactly the same date when the magazine was published for Shounen Sunday. This does not actually mean that the meeting is due to take place that day, it just loops the audience into the story.

That is the whole point of the relative time, it is to engage with a broader audience. You as fans do not need to stick to anytime in specific. Specific time limits the scope of the story.
Apr 25, 2021 10:07 PM

May 2009
xxmsxx said:
ssjup81 said:
But none of the characters have aged

Because only "a few months" has passed since the start of the main plot. The fact that the characters labelled the passing of time as "a few months" tell you that time is relative. They did not say anything like "we are in March now, it was November when we....."

There are also two sets of relative time as well. One for the Main Plot Line. One for everyone else.

The relativity of time is quite important to the overall story. For example, in File 1061, the code they used is exactly the same date when the magazine was published for Shounen Sunday. This does not actually mean that the meeting is due to take place that day, it just loops the audience into the story.

That is the whole point of the relative time, it is to engage with a broader audience. You as fans do not need to stick to anytime in specific. Specific time limits the scope of the story.
But see, this bothers me a lot. If it's only a few months, I do not want to see tech updates and places that didn't exist when the series started. For example, Sky Tree. Forgot the in-world name for it. I like it "relative", but I hate the fact that time is technically not supposed to have passed, but they have all this updated tech that wouldn't have existed for when the story started. That is my pet peeve. I mentioned the beach case because of the tech they used for it which shouldn't have been around. It can't even be viewed as ambiguous.

If only a few months have passed, then we should still be in 1994 (manga) or 1996 (anime). The tech should reflect that and would prefer more updated tech if the professor invented or created it. If they use other things, that's fine, but it's the tech that really really bothers me.
Apr 26, 2021 10:24 AM

Jun 2017
ssjup81 said:
If only a few months have passed, then we should still be in 1994 (manga) or 1996 (anime).

The whole point of "relative" time is that the story didn't take place in 1994/1996 even if the manga started then. I recently read vol.1 again and other than Shinichi wanting to become a great detective during the Heisei period, there is very little "exact" time indication. It simply implies that Shinichi lives in that period, but it is not definitive. He could may well be living in another time period but still want to be a great detective during the Heisei period.

It was written this way on purpose.

It is hard to grasp, but the concept of time and chronology does not follow most conventional explanations. Detective Conan is sci-fi after all so this is not surprising. The chronology is only linear in its usefulness for cases later on, it is not a hard linear time-frame. This is what the "only a few month" line is referring to in the Clash of Red and Black.

This is something that the anime production team understand fairly well. For example, in the AO episodes, it will say person A and B met and then a few months later, they got married. But next episode, we are not actually a few months later.

This is why they can "go back" and "fix" Ep.13 with Ep.128 when it is to do with the Main Plot Line.
Apr 28, 2021 8:49 PM

May 2009
xxmsxx said:
ssjup81 said:
If only a few months have passed, then we should still be in 1994 (manga) or 1996 (anime).

The whole point of "relative" time is that the story didn't take place in 1994/1996 even if the manga started then. I recently read vol.1 again and other than Shinichi wanting to become a great detective during the Heisei period, there is very little "exact" time indication. It simply implies that Shinichi lives in that period, but it is not definitive. He could may well be living in another time period but still want to be a great detective during the Heisei period.

It was written this way on purpose.

It is hard to grasp, but the concept of time and chronology does not follow most conventional explanations. Detective Conan is sci-fi after all so this is not surprising. The chronology is only linear in its usefulness for cases later on, it is not a hard linear time-frame. This is what the "only a few month" line is referring to in the Clash of Red and Black.

This is something that the anime production team understand fairly well. For example, in the AO episodes, it will say person A and B met and then a few months later, they got married. But next episode, we are not actually a few months later.

This is why they can "go back" and "fix" Ep.13 with Ep.128 when it is to do with the Main Plot Line.
But you're still kind of missing my point here. It is what it is and I do get all of this. I just don't particularly like it and wish it had more of an ambiguous approach time wise. A way of showing time has passed (real world, btw since real world things have been incorporated into the series), but also a way to show that it hasn't at the same time.
May 2, 2021 2:53 AM

Nov 2018
Check out this tweet for the exact episodes (I guess):
https://twitter.com/watch_UNEXT_A/status/1386544707992375298

Alternative:
https://i.imgur.com/fTc3ou0.jpg (Akai family)
https://i.imgur.com/J4ooek9.jpg (Akai Shuichi)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Detective Conan: The Scarlet Alibi Episode 1 Discussion

BertKnot - Apr 20, 2021

5 by Ranxomare »»
Dec 7, 2022 2:32 AM

» Discussion

Stripie - Mar 29, 2021

7 by batfos »»
Mar 30, 2021 4:50 AM

» A somewhat recap?

Playay - Mar 29, 2021

3 by xxmsxx »»
Mar 29, 2021 8:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.