Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 11, 2021 7:17 PM

Jun 2016
KankOG said:
Edocchi said:
Reading the visual novel is the best way if you want to experience Clannad. Though it's still one of Key's weakest works.

What are some of the better Key Light novels?
Summer Pockets and Little Busters

*Visual Novels, not Light novels
Jan 11, 2021 8:20 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
epidemia78 said:
Fario-P said:
I've only seen the first season, have yet to see After Story—honestly it's just okay. I kinda understand how OP feels about the female characters, because the whole time I kept wondering why most of the characters (not just the girls) felt more like elementary students than high school students. They're cute, but it wasn't enough to make me feel for these characters that much when some drama started happening.

I guess I'll never understand why people love this anime more than Air... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The characters are no more mature, gritty or realistic than those in Air/Kanon except they're given more time to show their individual personalities. Air is especially rushed, I don't know how anyone can favor it over Clannad.

I didn't think Air was that rushed, but then again, I've never played the original visual novel that it's based on.

I feel like the characters in Clannad started to get a bit repetitive after a while during the first season. Like I get it, Fuuko is obsessed with starfish. I get it, Kotomi talks slower than Nayuki, likes violin and books, and is socially awkward, this last part that I felt like got somewhat more screentime than I'd like. I get it, Ryou likes Tomoya but is too shy to say it so she gets her older sister to always help give hints or whatever....... actually I don't get this part......
I want to say that I get that Tomoyo is this super athletic girl or whatever, but I feel like the show focuses on her the least and so I know nothing about her other than she occasionally wears some fursuit and that she beats up Sunohara after his attempts of messing with her. I feel like I know nothing about Kyou either, other than she's Ryou's tsundere twin sister. Sunohara was funny at first, but his gimmick with Tomoyo somewhat quickly overstayed its welcome, and so after a certain point I just felt nothing. Nagisa is fine (other than being a little too conventionally cute haha), but I feel like her parents' gimmicks were overused way before Sunohara's and weren't that funny to begin with or anything.

Look, I dunno, I'm not saying your argument of not caring for Air's adaptation sounds unreasonable. I just feel like Clannad overused some of the main characters' gimmicks to the point I'd say some of that time should have been used to develop some characters that I felt like I hardly got to know instead. With Air, I felt like I was given just the right amount of time to understand the characters without any excessive time showing off their quirks. Maybe this opinion of mine would change if I've actually played any Key visual novels and maybe I really am just missing something from Clannad, but I guess it's just personal preference who you like and/or find more memorable.
Fario-PJan 11, 2021 8:45 PM
Jan 22, 2021 9:32 AM

Dec 2018
Yes that is the problem with Clannad. I had a similar experience.. in 2018 I started watching and put it on hold after episode 10 with a score of 5. Just last month I started picking it up again and found it more enjoyable, and After Story was even much enganging
Feb 2, 2021 12:56 AM

Jan 2017
Monochrosanity said:
Nobody really likes Clannad, they like After Story. The problem is that you gotta watch Clannad so you can watch After Story.

I enjoyed clannad more than after story, plenty of people love clannad too.
you're cool
Feb 2, 2021 7:00 PM

Dec 2018
SparkingVolt said:
Monochrosanity said:
Nobody really likes Clannad, they like After Story. The problem is that you gotta watch Clannad so you can watch After Story.

I enjoyed clannad more than after story, plenty of people love clannad too.
I rarely ever hear people say they enjoyed S1 more. What did you like about it more?
Feb 5, 2021 5:08 PM
Jan 2021
The main purpose of Clannad is to get you to like all of the characters which is done VERY well in my opinion. So that when they fuck Em all up in after story it hurts more.
Mar 2, 2021 10:36 AM

Aug 2020
Well, that's because you don't watch a lot of slice of life anime, I guess because from what I know is that when I first watched Clannad, I thought it was boring and after story was good because it had good drama. Now that I rewatched it, Clannad's 1st season is actually good because it's not too dramatic (fuko's arc was my favorite arc of the first season). It has a lot of comedy and character development. I still think that Clannad after story is still a masterpiece because you basically ee the couple's entire life. I don't get why people call it generic if it's different from other romance/drama anime. They're whether retarded or don't know what they're talking about.
May 9, 2021 6:10 AM

Apr 2012
KhakiTurtle said:
Man, I really wanted to like Clannad as I wanted to watch the so-called "Masterpiece" of its sequel, but I really can't. My biggest gripe with this show are the female characters. First of all, these characters were introduced way too quickly, like seriously, it was really hard to follow along. Along with this, I have no emotional attachment to them, they all feel one dimensional and have no substance(I fucking despise Fuuko, she is really annoying). The only female characters I "liked" were Kyou and Tomoyo, other than that, Sunohara and Tomoya are the only characters I actively enjoyed.

Another gripe I have with this show is that they try to make you feel sad, but because most of these main characters are void of substance, I can't feel any sympathy towards these characters.

With this, I'm only 7 episodes in so maybe it might get better, but I feel like dropping this show and watch Steins;Gate again. With this, I don't get why people give this show a 9/10 or even a 10/10, the best score I would give this is a 4/10.

i have exact same feeling
and when they trying to add jokes and humour it looks not just boring but stupid and irritating

PS judging for TV1 scores normies is the people who rated it higher then 6/10 :)
Dec 26, 2021 8:14 AM

Mar 2020
This kinda feeling is pretty common with Clannad S01, but you gotta watch it to check the masterpiece that is After Story. Try at least to watch episode 9 of the first season, I know Fuko's arc is maybe a little bigger than it should, but it's important to present the show and the characters.

"I wonder if anything will ever change? Will that day ever come?"
- Okazaki, Tomoya
"Nothing can stay unchanged. Fun things… Happy things…
They can’t possibly remain the same."
- Furukawa, Nagisa
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How many episodes

Hickykissy - May 2

5 by Swagotically »»
Yesterday, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Faust721 - Dec 13, 2007

206 by CalmTeaTime »»
May 1, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nodoka-koi - Nov 29, 2007

446 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 1, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Oct 19, 2007

137 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 1, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Oct 12, 2007

194 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 1, 6:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.