Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do Kirino and Kyousuke stay together after the ending?
Apr 6, 2018 6:31 AM

Jan 2014
This question has bugged me whenever I watch this anime or manga, but I've put together my own theory which I'd like to share now and also hear others' opinions. I've seen a lot of debate on this subject, and would think it nice to finally reach a "case closed" answer.

As twisted as this anime is, I have a thing for romances with some kind of weird gimmick (i.e. chobits, twgok) and it bothers me to be stuck with a no-heroine route. Personally I believe they do stay together, I'll start with the line of reasoning I think the two of them would have taken:
>Confess love to each other
>Realize they can't publicly be a couple
>Decide to experience being a public couple for a short time before graduation, believing it won't have any major social consequences
>Mock marriage, since they won't be able to do this in the future + to live out Kirino's fantasy
>All generic public relationship events are ticked off now, so they can revert to acting like 'normal' siblings who 'share a secret' (in the author's words)
>It's clear they don't intend to date others in future and want to remain close, so they secretly share a romantic and committed bond being their "secret"

Some notes on the ending:
>Immediately after the mock wedding we see them going on a date, at their usual date location, then there's Kirino wanting the ring and the not-so-platonic kiss
>She probably wants the ring to be able to symbolize their marriage without it being publicly suspicious.
>Kyousuke kisses Kirino on the mouth in public (or cheek in the anime), saying he knows what he'll use his wish for
>Kirino says they're going home for life counselling, presumably where Kyousuke uses his wish so they can still be romantic together or something along those lines (considering the kiss)
>Neither of them seem sad about all this, except maybe Kyousuke slightly. Probably because Kirino realized Kyousuke would use the wish for this.
>It would be weird for Kirino to be least sad if she expected them to stay broken up, since she was the one to crush on him first and for a long time

Considerations about the Author:
>Author seemingly wants to portray the situation realistically despite the publisher's restrictions, which is respectable. They directly let the audience know with lines like "This is real life, it's not like an eroge".
>As the author said, this is the "true Kirino ending", meaning it doesn't get any better than this. "True ending" means it is the full romantic outcome for the heroine in question, which on its own tells us they keep their romantic bond.
>Literally the only anime ever to have the balls to pull a 100% incest route (in a realistic manner, avoiding logic-defying h-game tropes), in spite of the publisher enforcing some censorship (other incest animes are generally creepy and poorly written)

Misc rationale:
>Why go so far as to kiss a blood-related sibling and lose friends over it if you were just going to abandon the idea immediately after?
>Now all their friends know they're lovers and didn't tell them about breaking up, so why tell them in the first place? Because their love is not public, but only known by close friends.
>There is no way you would go through all this and love someone so much just to abandon them, they obviously won't be happy if they're not together so why throw it away over nothing? (because they didn't)
>In the "10 Years Later" novel, we can deduce the two are still living at home together (parents not mentioned) and Kirino is pretty obviously not dating anyone new.
Apr 15, 2018 6:47 PM
Mar 2018
I think they will be together at the end but in secret only knowed by their close friends, as you said
May 2, 2018 7:55 AM
Sep 2016
Maybe, I have barely started watching the anime but it would be original to see an anime that ends with the taboo without being comic.
Oct 28, 2018 10:07 PM
Oct 2018
After reading this explanation, I can finally rest in peace... ^_^
Jan 17, 2019 7:55 PM

Jan 2014
After rewatching this yet again (and loving every second of it) I just wanna add, I didn't realize there are actually two separate after stories: "10 Years Later" and "A Momentary Chance Encounter". The latter one actually outright confirms+canonizes they are still together romantically, without the need for reaching that conclusion in a roundabout way like in my post above. Very short but satisfying read, recommended :D
Feb 10, 2023 1:29 PM

Jul 2022
i read "a momentary chance encounter" but i can't understand why you're saying that it confirms and canonizes that they are still together romantically, could you please explain to me?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kuro4735 - Dec 5, 2010

265 by DevlanStewart »»
Apr 21, 1:56 AM

» oreimo korean dub

149cart - Mar 2

3 by truth999 »»
Mar 5, 6:58 PM

» -

Takata - Feb 19, 2011

1 by Mattenan »»
Feb 21, 11:41 PM

Poll: » Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kuro4735 - Oct 17, 2010

362 by AndrersVonPanda »»
Jan 28, 11:52 AM

Poll: » Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kuro4735 - Oct 9, 2010

263 by FapFipFop »»
Jan 11, 11:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.