Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
May 7, 2017 1:31 AM
Aug 2015
After binge watching season 1 before season 2; its really clear that there is a drop in animation quality in season 2. Im not saying season 2 has BAD animation; but im saying its less crisp and clean compared to season 1? Why is this? I thought having 4 years in the works with only 12 episodes would have everyone blown off their seats with insane animation.
Im not disappointed, just confused...
May 7, 2017 1:51 AM

Aug 2015
Do you have screens showing us a drop in the quality of animation?
Apart from two or three moments when the staff use the CGI (a bit unpleasant for the eyes) to animate the horses when they gallop, I didn't notice any significant flaw.
May 7, 2017 2:34 AM
May 2017
Haven't watched the second season, but i think they probably just trying to milk the entire serie, nothing new
May 7, 2017 2:37 AM

Jun 2016
Imho, it improved A LOT! There are a few "Shingeki No Budget" scenes, but if you watch it religiously, you will see the animations improved a lot, and maan look at them action sequence.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
May 7, 2017 2:40 AM

Jan 2013
No I haven't noticed any significant drop in quality, what I've noticed instead is a lot of people whining about 4 seconds of CGI Colossal Titan. 1. If we get a CGI fight next week then I'll understand the complaints, but now it's just overreacting - it was just 4 second and in the meanwhile the Armored Titan was looking great as always 2. Chances are they'll just fix that Titan in BD release 3. If you're talking about CGI horses they were there since the 1st season
May 7, 2017 3:08 AM

Oct 2016
I think it improved a lot this season 2, the camera angles and the fighting scenes are exceptional @ episode 5.

I am not sure though @ episode 7, I saw the preview and the colossus titan CGI is kinda off.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

May 7, 2017 3:15 AM
Nov 2015
The SNK is a great anime and season 2 just keeps exceeding my expectations XD
May 7, 2017 4:00 AM

Mar 2013
Maybe you binge watched the Blu-Ray version of the show and are now in awe of how bad TV animation looks because the producers only truly care when they can get the money straight out of you. Common happening, surprised no one pointed that out.
May 7, 2017 4:03 AM

Apr 2011
If anything, animation is one thing that Shingeki's second season has going for it.
May 7, 2017 4:06 AM

Apr 2017
In your point of view, you didn't live into it's expectations

Or

Later on You dropped the show.

That's it right?

OF course it depends on you if you want to still continue the show. or Ignore it

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
May 7, 2017 4:20 AM

Oct 2014
Sorry but the show wasn't 4 years in the works. It was just planned in 4 years.
Most anime start production like 8 months before it airs.

Second, I haven't noticed a dip in quality but if there is then it is because of the lack of new animators in the business (the same reason for why there will only be 12 eps of this season)
May 7, 2017 4:24 AM

Jun 2015
Wasn't a thread like this already made before?

People just looovvve to vent without even using forum search(or posting in the right subforum)
May 7, 2017 4:26 AM

Mar 2017
Bourmegar said:
Sorry but the show wasn't 4 years in the works. It was just planned in 4 years.
Most anime start production like 8 months before it airs.

Second, I haven't noticed a dip in quality but if there is then it is because of the lack of new animators in the business (the same reason for why there will only be 12 eps of this season)

That

Plus I really think that it has pretty much the same quality as the animation in first season had. Also I find the second season better than first one storywise so I´m really enjoying it.
May 7, 2017 4:48 AM

Sep 2012
Brb said:
Wasn't a thread like this already made before?

There was and will be. It's just a thing in MAL.

OT: I think it is fine if not better.
May 7, 2017 6:35 AM
Aug 2015
Honey, art =/= animation. And AoT's art is better, crisper, more beautiful and detailed than ever before. The only thing annoying me are those CGI shots of the horse riding scenes and the CGI raw meat-looking Colossal Titan.
May 8, 2017 4:03 AM

Dec 2015
Episode 6 has probably been the most evident of their budget issues so far; Hange's animation was abyssmal, they did a great job depicting her as autistic.

It's like they needed an epic ending to bring back the series and hence blew the budget on a 2 min scene + a cool soundtrack.

This series is just piggybacking on the manga tbh
~
May 8, 2017 6:56 AM
May 8, 2017 9:11 AM

Jan 2015
Oh boiz here we are again

On_the_Lam said:
The CGI raw meat-looking Colossal Titan.

I laughed more than I should have
May 17, 2017 6:40 PM
Sep 2016
Season 2 absolutely does have bad animation. Nothing hand drawn looks bad, but the 3D is unbearably awful and completely breaks my suspense of disbelief, it's ruining the show for me. How long did we wait for s2 of this show and this is what we got? I understand crappy 3D on shows with very tight budgets, but AoT is like, hot-topic merch popular, there's absolutely no excuse for why so little effort was put into some of the sequences. All of the scenes with the 3D horses stick out like a sore thumb, and the sequences in episode 7 were unforgivably atrocious. I feel like I just got Berzerk'd

edit: was bitching about wrong episode no.
NastyNaptimeMay 17, 2017 6:44 PM
May 17, 2017 9:45 PM
Apr 2017
NastyNaptime,

Dude, did someone gave u money to talk SHIT about aot season 2's animation???? In fact, season 2's animation has improved so much even the CGI was also not that bad. If u really think that this is bad, then what about dbz, dbs, naruto, bleach, one piece, code geass etc? they have the same art style nothing special, but look closely at aot!!!!!! WIT STUDIO worked day n night to give us high quality animation and why 12 eps? cause of this. U should understand that.
May 18, 2017 2:14 AM

Aug 2012
Nah the animation hasn't dropped, season 2 has much more fluid animation. The Colossal Titan was probably a bitch to draw at the time so they did CGI while they focused more on Eren vs Armored Titan and all those 3DMG scenes.
May 18, 2017 3:18 AM
Nov 2014
It's not like every CGI Colossal Titan scene was bad, this one was amazing
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/34353
May 18, 2017 8:23 AM
May 2016
Touka__Kirishima said:
Episode 6 has probably been the most evident of their budget issues so far; Hange's animation was abyssmal, they did a great job depicting her as autistic.

It's like they needed an epic ending to bring back the series and hence blew the budget on a 2 min scene + a cool soundtrack.

Out of literally everything you could've nitpicked from arguably one of the best directed episodes in the entire series, you pick the lack of mouth-flapping from Hange as an actual flaw?

Are people really this desperate to try and brand season 2 as shit?
May 18, 2017 5:29 PM

Dec 2015
Modernoir said:
Touka__Kirishima said:

Out of literally everything you could've nitpicked from arguably one of the best directed episodes in the entire series, you pick the lack of mouth-flapping from Hange as an actual flaw?

Lol it's time for you to wake up from your dream. Special snowflakes like you shouldn't lurk these threads.
~
May 19, 2017 3:37 AM
May 2016
Touka__Kirishima said:
Modernoir said:

Lol it's time for you to wake up from your dream. Special snowflakes like you shouldn't lurk these threads.

Of course, the special snowflake is me since I'm the only one who thinks season 2 has great animation and am the only person that is voicing this opinion here. Hell, I'm also the only person who thinks the show is great, which is why it's got such a low ranking and isn't being talked about anywhere else, damn.

Do you by any chance read your posts before you post them? Might help you sometimes.
ModernoirMay 19, 2017 3:41 AM
May 19, 2017 5:04 AM

Dec 2015
Modernoir said:
Touka__Kirishima said:

Of course, the special snowflake is me since I'm the only one who thinks season 2 has great animation and am the only person that is voicing this opinion here. Hell, I'm also the only person who thinks the show is great, which is why it's got such a low ranking and isn't being talked about anywhere else, damn.

Do you by any chance read your posts before you post them? Might help you sometimes.

Once again trying to discredit criticism with your subjectivity. Let me elaborate once more; you probably shouldn't be here if you're triggered by harmless opinions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
~
May 19, 2017 5:18 AM
May 2016
Touka__Kirishima said:
Modernoir said:

Once again trying to discredit criticism with your subjectivity. Let me elaborate once more; you probably shouldn't be here if you're triggered by harmless opinions. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

There's criticism and then there's nit-picking, I'd hardly discredit the entirety of episode 6 for as something as small as Hange's lack of animations. I wouldn't call it me getting "triggered" either, I'm just surprised that you feel that way. Though then again I'm not surprised if you have to rely on ad hominem attacks when you've barely got any proper criticisms.
May 19, 2017 7:59 AM

May 2010
The use of Bad CGI is very apparent in alot of the horseback scenes. In season one, only the horses were rendered in cgi while the actual characters where animated normally. In this season, there are many scenes where both are rendered in cgi......They thought I wouldn't notice but I definitely caught that.

That being said, this season makes up for the bad cgi by adding some breathtaking character art/designs for the close-up emotional scenes
May 19, 2017 10:33 AM
Nov 2014
In term of art/design this season is obviously better than the first one, you can see how detailed the characters are drawn, not just the main characters even the minor ones, in the other side the characters looked off a lot of time in season 1
here's some examples http://imgur.com/a/sMqaZ
May 19, 2017 12:27 PM
May 2016
X-Hunter said:
In term of art/design this season is obviously better than the first one, you can see how detailed the characters are drawn, not just the main characters even the minor ones, in the other side the characters looked off a lot of time in season 1

I thought the exact same, there was a surprising amount of weird "QUALITY" in season 1, but in season 2 I honestly haven't noticed any that aren't nit-picked inbetween frames of moving animation.
Jun 4, 2017 2:58 PM
Jul 2010
iyeraditya560 said:
NastyNaptime,

Dude, did someone gave u money to talk SHIT about aot season 2's animation???? In fact, season 2's animation has improved so much even the CGI was also not that bad. If u really think that this is bad, then what about dbz, dbs, naruto, bleach, one piece, code geass etc? they have the same art style nothing special, but look closely at aot!!!!!! WIT STUDIO worked day n night to give us high quality animation and why 12 eps? cause of this. U should understand that.

No, I totally agree with NastyNaptime. The animation quality is way worse in this season compared to the first one. The movement of everything is so much worse and it's honestly killing the series for me as well. It looks great sometimes, in dialogues mostly. But as soon as they move around, you can instantly see the how dull it looks. I'm really disappointed how bad it turned out to be, animation wise, when they had plenty of time for planning and unlimited budget(?). It's such a shame, because this season is great otherwise.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2017 4:03 PM
Aug 2015
Julle said:

No, I totally agree with NastyNaptime. The animation quality is way worse in this season compared to the first one. The movement of everything is so much worse and it's honestly killing the series for me as well. It looks great sometimes, in dialogues mostly. But as soon as they move around, you can instantly see the how dull it looks. I'm really disappointed how bad it turned out to be, animation wise, when they had plenty of time for planning and unlimited budget(?). It's such a shame, because this season is great otherwise.

They didn't have unlimited budget and they also had limited staff. The animation this season should be the watchers' least concern though, since this season is being butchered by (mostly out of place) flashbacks.
Jun 5, 2017 1:08 AM
Jul 2010
On_the_Lam said:
Julle said:

They didn't have unlimited budget and they also had limited staff. The animation this season should be the watchers' least concern though, since this season is being butchered by (mostly out of place) flashbacks.

Maybe not unlimited, but their budget should be extremely high. I mean, this series was a huge sucess. They should be getting all the support they need. It would be really weird if they didn't.. I heard something about lack of staff as well, but wasn't that just a rumor? If not, please send me a link because then I've missed that.

Yeah I understand what you mean about the flashbacks. The one when Annie teached Eren how to fight was pretty stupid to put right in the middle of the fight.. Kind of killed the mood. It was like in the 2nd season of UBW.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2017 1:14 AM
Jul 2010
X-Hunter said:

Yeah, I agree about the characters looking much better this season. Some things improved, and some things became bad, which is a shame.. For example, the most important thing (imo) - the movement. Especially in a series like this one. You can see a LOT of scenes in this season when everything in the background is a plain picture. Nothing moves. This episode, for example, right in the beginning when they talk about the horses. Just take a look at that.. The horses doesn't move or do shit, not even their hair or tail moves around. Things like that is what bugs me the most. A person is moving, but the background isn't. So I'd rather prefer S1 art instead of this.. :(
Jun 5, 2017 2:20 AM

Aug 2012
Julle said:
On_the_Lam said:

Maybe not unlimited, but their budget should be extremely high. I mean, this series was a huge sucess. They should be getting all the support they need. It would be really weird if they didn't.. I heard something about lack of staff as well, but wasn't that just a rumor? If not, please send me a link because then I've missed that.

Yeah I understand what you mean about the flashbacks. The one when Annie teached Eren how to fight was pretty stupid to put right in the middle of the fight.. Kind of killed the mood. It was like in the 2nd season of UBW.
http://goboiano.com/anime-industry-faces-animator-shortage-crisis-that-could-damage-future-productions/
Jun 5, 2017 3:47 AM
Aug 2015
Julle said:
On_the_Lam said:

The flashback where Annie taught Eren was one the best, to be honest. If you really think a series' budget is based on its success, then I think you should start watching Naruto.
Jun 5, 2017 5:40 AM
Jul 2010
sim0n2170 said:
Julle said:

http://goboiano.com/anime-industry-faces-animator-shortage-crisis-that-could-damage-future-productions/

Thanks! Sad to hear about what he mentioned on twitter.. Wish it was possible to share money directly to the workers..
Jun 5, 2017 5:42 AM
Jul 2010
Schopenhauer1 said:
Julle said:

The studio only get a small part of the earnings.

Yeah, I just read the article.. That's just stupid. Why are they not dividing it?.. The studio is doing all the work basically..
Jun 5, 2017 5:53 AM
Jul 2010
On_the_Lam said:
Julle said:

The flashback where Annie taught Eren was one the best, to be honest. If you really think a series' budget is based on its success, then I think you should start watching Naruto.

You think so? I never thought it was bad, just not as good as the others (except the flashback when they were young). The one thing I thought was bad though, was the timing with the flashback.

I've seen Naruto. It's a pretty big difference though, compared to Shingeki, with far more episodes. I thought the reason why Naruto looked so bad was because the studio stopped caring. They know that it would sell either way. And it wasn't like people were having big expectations. Shingeki however, is a different story. The pressure is on another level.
But yeah, it could have been a money issue as well with Naruto, since the money doesn't seem to go to the animation studio..
Jun 5, 2017 9:33 AM

Sep 2013
4 years XD
Julle said:

I've seen Naruto. It's a pretty big difference though, compared to Shingeki, with far more episodes. I thought the reason why Naruto looked so bad was because the studio stopped caring.

Naruto fillers have better animation than snk, the reason for this lower quality is because they are busy with other projects and don't care about snk that much, they delayed it for a year because of that.
Jun 5, 2017 9:41 AM
Jul 2010
ichii_1 said:
4 years XD
Julle said:

I've seen Naruto. It's a pretty big difference though, compared to Shingeki, with far more episodes. I thought the reason why Naruto looked so bad was because the studio stopped caring.

Naruto fillers have better animation than snk, the reason for this lower quality is because they are busy with other projects and don't care about snk that much, they delayed it for a year because of that.

To go that far and say that even Naruto fillers have better animation is just bs if you ask me.. Snks animation is great compared to most animes. This season, however, doesn't do the first season justice imo.

They don't care about Snk that much? I doubt that. Snk is their biggest project, of course they prioritize it.. Or are you saying that you have a source that confirms they don't?
Jun 5, 2017 1:16 PM
May 2016
ichii_1 said:
4 years XD
Julle said:

For the sake of any of your points being taken seriously at all I'll just presume that was a joke that missed its mark, SnK consistently has some of the most impressive animation this season to begin with. Comparing it to Naruto filler of all things is one of the funniest, yet dumbest comparisons I've seen on this forum.
Jun 25, 2017 5:52 PM
Apr 2014
Do people serious not see a decline in animation quality? I suppose it would be difficult to recall given the first season aired around 4 years ago, but if you look back it shouldn't be hard to discern. I was seriously disappointed with how the animation turned out. I wouldn't even call it a shell of its former self. I'll compare two scenes that displaying the 3d maneuver gear's ability. (Contains minor spoilers.)

Just take a look at a few of these scenes:

When you say the second season is better than the first season in terms of animation, you have to remember that means topping scenes such as this in quality animation. In fact, I preferred the animation of Koutesujou no Kabaneri over the second season. That one was really well animated.

tl;dr
With all the life I still have in my body, I refuse to believe that the 2nd season's animation should even be compared to that of the 1st.
Sep 27, 2019 2:20 AM
Apr 2019
anyone knows the budget? or how much they profited from the franchise?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - May 12, 2017

496 by Magicallykitten »»
Apr 13, 4:26 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - May 6, 2017

931 by Angel_crush1 »»
Mar 31, 5:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Jun 15, 2017

689 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 14, 11:16 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Apr 21, 2017

465 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 14, 12:17 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Jun 9, 2017

525 by Apreggi »»
Mar 11, 5:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.