Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 28, 2016 9:53 AM

Feb 2016
People very often criticize, long running, popular series like the "Big Three" for having too many filler episodes. How is this even a point? Ive seen many long series, and watched a total of around 20 filler episodes and skipped the ones that didnt seem interesting to me. They are just like spinoffs happening somewhere in between. I guess everyone who also doesnt like fillers could do the same as:
- youre not missing out on the story,
- youre saving time,
- you could probably save others your bitching

I hope you can tell me why are fillers considered a negative factor(often the main) of some shows?

PS. sorry for the poor editing and ill probably answer tomorrow ;)

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jul 28, 2016 10:07 AM

Jun 2016
Sure, you can skip filler episodes, but that doesn't change the fact that they exist and are a part of the show. It's not like when you judge or rate a show you just don't include the episode that you didn't like.

Also, generally the problem with filler episodes is that they are skippable. If they are skippable and don't serve a purpose, why include them in the main storyline? It's just lazy and a sign of poor planning.
Jul 28, 2016 10:15 AM
Jul 2016
thesound said:
Sure, you can skip filler episodes, but that doesn't change the fact that they exist and are a part of the show. It's not like when you judge or rate a show you just don't include the episode that you didn't like.

Also, generally the problem with filler episodes is that they are skippable. If they are skippable and don't serve a purpose, why include them in the main storyline? It's just lazy and a sign of poor planning.

Well filler episodes are mostly created when the anime has caught up to the manga. So there won't be any new episodes focusing on the actual manga content because there is no more manga content for now, right? So the anime has to wait before it can release new content in line with the manga. WHile waiting, instead of not making any episodes, you might as well make filler episodes. These episodes obviously can't be canon, because the series would then diverge from the manga. Some people, I'm sure, like the setting of the anime and thus watch the fillers as a means of getting their weekly dose of Franchise X. Those that only want canon content can just wait until the manga has gotten far enough ahead so the anime can continue making proper content. Mind you, the people that don't like fillers would have to wait just as long for more canon content regardless of the fillers. The fillers simply, and quit literally, fill up the time between canon content.
Jul 28, 2016 10:21 AM

Jun 2016
Confuizd said:

Well filler episodes are mostly created when the anime has caught up to the manga. So there won't be any new episodes focusing on the actual manga content because there is no more manga content for now, right? So the anime has to wait before it can release new content in line with the manga. WHile waiting, instead of not making any episodes, you might as well make filler episodes. These episodes obviously can't be canon, because the series would then diverge from the manga. Some people, I'm sure, like the setting of the anime and thus watch the fillers as a means of getting their weekly dose of Franchise X. Those that only want canon content can just wait until the manga has gotten far enough ahead so the anime can continue making proper content. Mind you, the people that don't like fillers would have to wait just as long for more canon content regardless of the fillers. The fillers simply, and quit literally, fill up the time between canon content.

You give a great explanation of what fillers are and why they happen, but it doesn't excuse the fact that filler episodes are generally worse than the main storyline.
Jul 28, 2016 10:25 AM

Jun 2016
Filler can be good, but mosthe of the time it's shitty.
Jul 28, 2016 10:30 AM

May 2015
Cause fillers episodes typically don't have any effort and are put in just because they don't want to end the series or go off in another direction. Sometimes they work(like in Noragami, the filler arc that ended the first season had effort put in and helped finished the season so they could start the next canon arc in the next season, which wouldn't fit in the first season.)
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jul 28, 2016 3:55 PM

Mar 2013
Because filler episodes, while not inherently bad, can be used as an excuse to stretch or bloat out the plot to meet a set limit instead of getting straight to the heart of the story. Sometimes, it's understandable as adaptations can come short when they go past what they're adapting and the studio has to wait for a new chapter in the source to come out.
Jul 28, 2016 4:05 PM

Jul 2012
Personally I don't mind fillers but I can see how people would dislike them in cases like say, Naruto the series probably most infamous for its filler use. Now if we take into account the purpose of fillers, to delay the main story so the manga can continue ahead, then it's fine as a side story and can very often be enjoyable if they fit neatly into the show.
But in Naruto's case in the recent years there were only like 12 canon episodes in a single year AFTER the manga finished. At that point fillers aren't serving the purpose of delaying the story for more content to be available, they're delaying the story to milk it for every penny it's worth. Or if I'm being really optimistic they're delaying so they can release Boruto with no break in the anime. Which seems wrong by itself because now you're purposefully putting a main series on hold so a sequel can get prepared instead of simply taking a break.

But that also brings up a good point, sure you can skip fillers, but that doesn't inherently make canon episodes release any faster. Which is why I would say One Piece generally uses filler really well, they're all arcs under 12 episodes, in the past several years almost all of the fillers were either specials, or movie previews. They also fit neatly into the story and match the overall set up of the show.

So tl;dr Fillers are fine but overusing them for seemingly no reason isn't.
Jul 28, 2016 5:18 PM

Jun 2016
I don't enjoy naruto shippuden fillers because have to many and is still going when naruto should be done 1 year ago ..
but i enjoy One Piece fillers , i think One Piece have 40 filler episodes out of 750 ... and the episoades are rly cool
Jul 28, 2016 5:23 PM

Jan 2015
You guys didn't have to watch these shows week by week when they were airing... Imagine watching Bleach in high school and having a filler arc for 25 episodes. That's LITERALLY half a year of fillers. Do you see now why fillers would kill a series for some people?
Jul 28, 2016 6:25 PM
May 2015
Naruto is one of my favourite anime(well was), now i just want to see it end. They ruined it totally milking it for years shippuden has more thab 150 filler episodes thats 3 years of anime(1 episode weekly). It is just sad
Jul 28, 2016 6:48 PM
Jul 2018
Some filler isn't that bad at times, as it can have the most hilarious moments in a series, like this one episode of Dragon Ball Z I've seen where two of the characters LEANRED TO DRIVE.

And some cases, like the Sailor Moon series, have filler that can have bits of good character development, small-but-notable points in the story, and some more unique and fun bonding time with the main characters.
Jul 28, 2016 8:34 PM

Jul 2015
I haven't seen nor will see any of the big 3, but I've seen some shows with some fillers. For me, it depends on the anime and what's in the filler. Some anime use the filler to fill in missing gaps, or some fillers aren't totally useless and provide SOME value. But then, there's anime where a filler is totally not needed, and that the filler TOTALLY disrupts the anime. This is why I gave Ergo proxy a 7 instead of an 8 or 9. The damn fillers totally killed the mojo.
Jul 28, 2016 9:25 PM
Nov 2015
I dont mind fillers every now and then as some are funny but its when they put a long stretch of them between crucial points in the story or when a majority of them are really slow/boring and not at all inviting. It be nice if they made fillers that help towards the story for example if the mangaka wanted to add some background of a character which they wernt able to do in the manga( maybe add them to manga later as Ch X.2 or CH X extra)
Jul 28, 2016 9:27 PM

Apr 2014
I don't know, but Naruto Shipuuden's newest filler episode was not half bad this time though.
Jul 28, 2016 9:29 PM

Jan 2008
Because while watching Bleach during a major main story arc, I suddenly get a filler arc out of no where.
Jul 28, 2016 9:31 PM

Sep 2011
Good filler is content you would never guess is filler. The "Big Three", as you put it, all fail in that regard. There is nothing wrong with filler but like any type of writing, canon or otherwise, if it interrupts the current flow it puts the viewer (or reader) in a bad place. The reason a lot of people hate filler is because it is jarringly different from the rest of the series and the sudden changes in tone are extremely distracting. There's nothing wrong with shipping the filler as an alternative series or a series of OVAs, but it definitely shouldn't be included in the main series unless it serves a point and does it well (somebody mentioned Noragami before).
Jul 28, 2016 9:45 PM

Oct 2014
Aikatsu! is the longest anime I've seen at 178 episodes (watched 175 so far, will be finishing it tonight). Although it's anime original there are definitely some episodes that aren't super important to the plot but there are still cute girls and they do cute things so I see no reason to skip them. There are only really two arcs and they're both pretty slow. It's a bit like K-On! but if they actually got to play at Budokan and took 100 episodes to do so and then afterwards their kohai (Azusa, Ui, and Jun) went on the same journey (sorry if I spoiled anything for you, but in reality the story itself is fairly predictable). There are some people who may choose to view all of K-On! as filler since the plot doesn't really go anywhere and Aikatsu! could be seen in a similar way.
Jul 28, 2016 10:13 PM

Jun 2015
They should see Conan. It's 90% filler.
Jul 28, 2016 10:37 PM

May 2016
In regards to thinking of fillers as spin-offs I think that just makes them even more annoying. Honestly if I'm watching a long running show I'm already sinking a lot of time into it and I don't want to spend more on crapping spin-offs. Not to mention if I wanted to watch spin-offs I would just do so. To me they just come off as not well thought out movies or OVA's that should not exist, seriously why can't they just go hiatus for like a month?
Jul 28, 2016 10:38 PM

Nov 2014
BRB-kun said:
They should see Conan. It's 90% filler.
It is not that bad du...
Oh wait, it is..

Jul 28, 2016 10:47 PM
Oct 2015
The reason that I hate filler is simple, it's not that most filler don't serve a purpose, it's that most filler is bad.

However, filler that people agree is good does exist. For example, One Piece's G6 is an arc that most people recommend you to watch despite it being filler. There was also a ramen making filler in Naruto that I quite enjoyed.

The problem with most filler is that they're poorly designed short story arcs (boring) that sometimes interfere with the world's lore (cardinal sin).

More topics from this board

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

38 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
9 seconds ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 23 minutes ago

4 by filjoh »»
8 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

43 by EpicO4 »»
10 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
22 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 26 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.