Forum Settings
Forums

The delusion of the path to influence and greatness

New
May 2, 2016 3:17 AM

Mar 2008
As you may or may not have noticed, many people try to strive for high levels of success and status by imitating that of those they see as the great, powerful, influential ones. These people who follow this path long enough seem to just love to think of themselves as great and powerful. These sort of people like to think things along the lines of the words of Mussolini "It is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep" but I say they are all lost. Why you may ask? If I were to explain this simply for you to understand I will use lyrics of Die Brandstifter by Rome

You admire the lions;
You despise all sheep;
But following lions;
Makes nothing but sheep;
You are all bending in the wind.

Such people are a lost cause in the path of copying what others do. They are nothing but slaves to a system that tells them how to look and act, who to be and delude them into be thinking that something is wrong with them if they do not fit a mould of their societally influenced concept of success and status. This mindset is allowing them to be sheep, a prey to society and cripples their own development. What could be learned from this is that a person must be true to themselves in order to reach their potential otherwise they lose themselves and never are truly at their zenith.

Would you agree that such people who try to be just like someone else to be of high status and ranking in society are just cheating themselves?

What do you think of the concept of success, and status that is within society?

Why do you think people allow themselves to be caught up in a mindset of duplication?

Is anyone really a lion or is everyone just sheep following other sheep to their demise?
May 2, 2016 8:35 AM

Oct 2015
I personally think that people who try to imitate someone else's character to strive for success and status are simply working towards their objective in the way the see fit, and that they're adopting the qualities they believe they need in order to do so. They are not necessarily imitating someone, but rather, the specific characteristics and ideals they believe are beneficial to them. I feel that they're not simply duplicating, but incorporating certain qualities and new ideas into their original ones.
If you're reading this, then you be should banana the one often to effectively die apples through convergence, autism plus unicorns.
May 2, 2016 10:04 AM

May 2015
Define 'greatness' though?

A person can be great in the eyes of society, but in 100 years the values will change. That person will no longer be considered great.

I think it's best for someone to first define what they consider 'greatness', and follow that path regardless of what others think. Some people consider greatness to be a great parent. I consider 'greatness' to be a polymath. So I'm aiming there. Whether people will admire this or not doesn't matter. These are my values and I'm willing to discuss them.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 2, 2016 10:53 AM
Mar 2016
traed said:
What could be learned from this is that a person must be true to themselves in order to reach their potential otherwise they lose themselves and never are truly at their zenith.
what the hell does being true to yourself even mean?

we're all just products of our environments, there is nothing that is just "you"

the only thing unique about you is your combination of influences on you
May 2, 2016 1:16 PM

Nov 2015
The quote, 'It is better to live like a lion for a day than to live like a sheep for a hundred years', is originally from Tipu Sultan; the only variation was that Tipu used 'Jackal' instead of sheep.

While I do agree with the fact that saturating yourself with the exploits of past heroes will only kill your own novelty and set you down on the path to ruin, I must mention that 'following' and 'learning' are different things. To learn from the great, is an act of the great. And learning could easily be confused with following.

Nevertheless, all great men admired the greats who came before them.
May 2, 2016 1:43 PM

Jan 2009
nothing wrong with copying since we learn a lot through imitation, we have this mirror neuron system https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imitation#Mirror_Neuron_System and at times we improve what we imitated too

the best way to imitate success is to imitate other successful people, look at how Kobe Bryant copied Michael Jordan's moves and mannerism, he become successful in the NBA with that
May 2, 2016 5:57 PM

Mar 2008
plebster said:
I personally think that people who try to imitate someone else's character to strive for success and status are simply working towards their objective in the way the see fit, and that they're adopting the qualities they believe they need in order to do so. They are not necessarily imitating someone, but rather, the specific characteristics and ideals they believe are beneficial to them. I feel that they're not simply duplicating, but incorporating certain qualities and new ideas into their original ones.

Im not really talking about a person going for their own personal success while being themselves by learning from example. I am more so talking about those whos idea of success is chosen by others.

Alcoholic-san said:
traed said:
What could be learned from this is that a person must be true to themselves in order to reach their potential otherwise they lose themselves and never are truly at their zenith.
what the hell does being true to yourself even mean?

we're all just products of our environments, there is nothing that is just "you"

the only thing unique about you is your combination of influences on you

Doing what feels right to you without drastically changing the very foundation of who you are. Of course people have an influence but that influence is only to be used as a guide not blueprint.

TheBrainintheJar said:
Define 'greatness' though?
Whatever you personally see fit rather than fall to the trap of what society sees as the best of the best.
May 2, 2016 8:55 PM
Mar 2016
traed said:

Doing what feels right to you without drastically changing the very foundation of who you are. Of course people have an influence but that influence is only to be used as a guide not blueprint.
what if nothing is right to you? then you can't be true to yourself
May 2, 2016 9:01 PM

Sep 2013
Everyone is influenced by someone else or something else to some degree. I wouldn't recommend trying to be a carbon copy of another person. But you can learn from others, seeing what worked and what didn't. Then you put your own spin on it. And sometimes you yourself have to change because you're the one in the wrong. Adapt to your environment. Not a popular message, though simple reality.
May 2, 2016 9:33 PM

Mar 2008
Alcoholic-san said:
traed said:

Then you dont know yourself or aree very insecure.
May 2, 2016 9:34 PM
Mar 2016
traed said:
Alcoholic-san said:

Then you dont know yourself or aree very insecure.
how can I not know myself? I am the thing I see in the mirror
May 3, 2016 12:27 AM

May 2015
Alcoholic-san said:
traed said:

Why is it wrong to drastically change yourself in the first place, though?

If you're not satisfied with who you are, change yourself. As the saying goes, "They say we are what we are, but we don't have to be". Don't we achieve greatness by refusing to be caged by ourselves?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

More topics from this board

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

41 by Merve2Love »»
27 minutes ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

27 by Rhaelynne »»
57 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

42 by cyandaqil »»
1 hour ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

69 by neol3 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

63 by cyandaqil »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.