Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 24, 2016 10:07 AM
Apr 2016
I've seen some of the reviews and opinions of school days and the people who praise it tend to be the people that say it is a more realistic approach of a harem and utilizes realistic scenarios and emotions. The only thing I saw "realistic" in this anime was the fact their hair was black. The characters have no logic to any actions, especially the females portrayals. The females are literally mindless sex dolls that utilize and give consent for sex, simply to manipulate or win over affections(for what reason, exactly?) to a MC who clearly just doesn't care. Is this really an accurate portrayal of the characteristics to 15 year old Japanese girls? Does this realistically paint high school relationships in Japan? I find blue haired girls shoving their breasts into the face of nose-bled MC's more realistic in terms of definition of a harem.
Spectonio1Apr 25, 2016 3:36 PM
Apr 24, 2016 10:13 AM

Sep 2015
I can't fathom the idea that it's somehow realistic. Everything is so highly exaggerated and illogical that it can in no ways be considered realistic lol.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 26, 2016 7:49 PM

Sep 2015
Spectonio1 said:
I've seen some of the reviews and opinions of school days and the people who praise it tend to be the people that say it is a more realistic approach of a harem and utilizes realistic scenarios and emotions. The only thing I saw "realistic" in this anime was the fact their hair was black. The characters have no logic to any actions, especially the females portrayals. The females are literally mindless sex dolls that utilize and give consent for sex, simply to manipulate or win over affections(for what reason, exactly?) to a MC who clearly just doesn't care. Is this really an accurate portrayal of the characteristics to 15 year old Japanese girls? Does this realistically paint high school relationships in Japan? I find blue haired girls shoving their breasts into the face of nose-bled MC's more realistic in terms of definition of a harem.

Now, now. What School Days is trying to portray isn't what goes in everyday Japan, but a different way of looking an ecchi harem series with copypasted logic and character tropes.
I'd say this series is far more realistic in the sense that it takes those tropes and doesn't try to sugarcoat them to get the audiences sexual instincts acting up, but rather shows what destructive capabilities situations like this can have.
Also, they do explore the reasons as to why each character acts either towards the MC or other characters.
And it's not like they don't have logic, it's just that they have different logic than us, the viewers. They have different ways of handling each of their problems which, by the end of it jumbles into a big mess in which comes from the consequences of their own actions.
As far as as realism is concerned, not everything is 100% realistic, the ending was slightly blown out of proportion, but I ask you this question, does anyone want an anime completely centered in reality?
The ending perfectly considers it's themes of the consequences of betrayal and cheating and made an impactful anime that no one can forget once they watch.

My advice is don't let your feelings for this show cloud your judgement of it and don't jump on the hate-banwagon with anyone else who thinks it's nonsense.
Truly consider what happened in this show that makes it different than others in it's genre and how they can be classified as more realistic than them as well.
Apr 26, 2016 8:11 PM
Apr 2016
I'm guessing it's kind of like a deconstruction of the harem genre, instead of the MC getting with all the grills in the story, he gets his head chopped off instead.
May 3, 2016 4:20 PM

May 2014
What? This is obviously not a common occurrence in Japan. The central message of this show is to see what consequences can sprout from cheating. And plus, there are many teens who don't act logically contrary to their beliefs.
May 6, 2016 1:22 PM

Aug 2015
well, if we talk about realism - girls are actually as curious about sex as guys and that's why Makoto is actually having able to persuade every girl. I found this waaaaaay more realistic than 1 guy not realizing 4+ girls falling in love with him and then freaking out when something perverse is about to happen.
...for me it is one of my all time favorites as it was somehow so dark that it actually made me obsessed with the story for quite some time and for this exact reason I can see why there is such hate as many minds just can't deal with things like rape, cheating, bullying, ... but that is much closer to reality than many of you realize.
May 9, 2016 10:15 AM
Sep 2011
[quote=Spectonio1 message=45732682] The characters have no logic to any actions, especially the females portrayals. The females are literally mindless sex dolls that utilize and give consent for sex, simply to manipulate or win over affections(for what reason, exactly?) [/ quote]

FINALLY!!!

Someone said the truth , people keep focusing only on Maokoto and blaming Sekai without blaming the other characters? The supporting females in this show are nasty,slutty and extremely vicious . They are much worse than sekai in my opinion .

BTW , Sekai was not the only who seduced Makoto , the other girls did as well and they are all best friends and yet they back-stabbed each other without showing any signs of remorse and that makes them just as bad as Makoto. At least sekai felt guilty for what she did

The female girls in this show are portrayed as sexual desires and their only mission is to seduce the main character and increase his lust to make him a horrible person.They are a worse/realistic version of girls in other shows

I'm not saying that this doesn't happen in real life but in this case a normal person with a brain would just confess their feelings first and not give consent for sex right a way like those characters did .Those girls took things too far. You don't go having sex/seducing someone right after you confess to them if they are in other relationships .This is called ''Lust''

Don't get me wrong. It's not just their fault , it's also Makoto's fault .Actually the girls are more at fault because they knew what type of person he was but they didn't care, Makato is a teenager boy with raging hormones and it's a well known fact that Boys have much higher sex drive than girls .So if a girl tries to seduce a boy (started the sexual advances first) despite her friend dating him ,then she seriously lacks morals and is considered a bad friend which applies to most of the girls here.I mean, people in this situation usually just keep their feelings to themselves or just confess their feelings without going any further right ? but these girl went right ...for the sex .They wanted it as much as he wanted it so they're not innocent at all .

It felt like the writers desperately wanted the audience to hate Mokoto and it's like they wanted us to say :Mokoto is a sex addict , he's a horrible person , he should DIE because he hurt those poor girls heart (notice that I only sympathize with Sekai and Kotonoha as they're clearly unstable) even though it was them who started it ....seriously ? They writers were too harsh on him because some of the girls were just pointless and were added just to antagonize him more .. How come no one is blaming the girls and why does no one says anything bad them ?

Don't get wrong ,I hate Mokoto just as much as any other viewer especially because of what he did to Sekai and Kotonoha .

And After thinking about it again , I realized that the girls in school days are not different from other girls in other harem/ecchi anime (they are all used for the same purpose : Fall in love with the MC and seduce him .This anime is a realistic form of the harem /ecchie genre but the story is the same , It's only Mokoto who's different and the girls Sekai and Kotonoha are much more complex/flawed characters than girls in other shows .

What you said here applies to all harem/ecchie animes ,not just school days
RozalthiricMay 9, 2016 1:52 PM
May 10, 2016 2:28 AM

Aug 2015
IcyFlame said:
This anime is a realistic form of the harem /ecchie genre but the story is the same , It's only Mokoto who's different and the girls Sekai and Kotonoha are much more complex/flawed characters than girls in other shows .

you deserve a medal, as nearly noone notices this!
May 12, 2016 3:45 PM

Apr 2016
Yes it's pretty realistic. Some few men (i think it's a minority) behave like that, same for the women.

As for the girls in the shows, it would be easier to understand them if the male character's 'handsomeness" was more obvious or better presented, but the art in this show is really too crappy for that and they didn't put much effort in showing how attractive he can be with some aspects of his personnality (it's said in the anime that for at least 2 of the girls, setsuna, otome, his caring attitude (in the past) might have been the reason why they fell for him). That he is popular is just said through the mouth of the other characters. we must take it for granted without being able to feel it.
Nevertheless boys who are really attractive is a reality, and that some of them don't necesserily care about the others "in the moment" nor want to take responsability afterwards or make any decision is also more than a reality.
Backstabing "friends" too : "what friend?" is a question and the context matters too.

I admit that such a "success rate" is a bit much and in the case of sitsuna I don't follow either the writer's choice, it's one of the many flaws of the anime.

I agree aswell with one comment above that the ending is too much ...
In the real world, most of the time, the guy would keep on fucking around and keep on learning with each experience how to get even more girl to fall for him and the women thrown away would just have to deal with it and eventually in the process they would learn how to avoid these kind of guy (if they really want to, which is not always the case). That would have been a more realistic ending and that was actually what I was expecting.
Ysad_ZiwezhanMay 12, 2016 4:05 PM
Dec 27, 2016 9:28 PM
Feb 2012
It's realistic because most guys are that bad of a pervert (and worse) in the inside, and more. At least it's more realistic than a lot of pussy/white knight/wannabe good male characters who think they have not broken any sexual barrier as seen in manga/anime. A lot of these "sensible" male characters were blessed with fortunate situations to dodge sexual problems. But that is simply unrealistic.

When you lust, it's already a sin. Don't agree with it? Well, how much is a person under lust thinking of their girlfriend/wife during that time of lust? In almost all cases, lust "trials" is also subconsciously used to quickly vent out sexual wants or needs, even if so called "unintentional". Sometimes, people need to get their head out of the gutter that anime/manga overly describes/generalizes in life.
Jan 2, 2017 12:34 PM
Jan 2017
Harem is not realistic in the first place.
Jan 10, 2017 11:51 AM
Dec 2016
whoever honestly thinks this, needs to pay the doctor a visit
Feb 25, 2017 12:35 PM

Aug 2015
Eitvids said:
Harem is not realistic in the first place.

tbh, it is, but extremely rare and not the kind you see in romance comedy type anime with dull MC. I have seen few examples of both - male and female so called harems, when 1 person toys with few other, although they all dissolve sooner rather than later.
...and from my personal experience - I've been in situation where 3 girls have a crush on me almost at the same time, so to think for someone to have harem who is driven only by sex doesn't seem that unrealistic to me. I'd rather say it is illogical than unrealistic.
Feb 28, 2017 7:56 AM

Jun 2012
Spectonio1 said:
The characters have no logic to any actions, especially the females portrayals. The females are literally mindless sex dolls that utilize and give consent for sex, simply to manipulate or win over affections(for what reason, exactly?) to a MC who clearly just doesn't care. Is this really an accurate portrayal of the characteristics to 15 year old Japanese girls? Does this realistically paint high school relationships in Japan?

Have you ever went to high school/college? People acting like this is somewhat common.
Feb 28, 2017 9:02 PM

May 2009
The last episode was realistic enough to the point they had to postpone the air date....
Apr 9, 2017 1:20 PM

Aug 2014
Its called realistic because of two points:

1- Makoto acts like many guys. We want chicks.

2- Anime fans tend to automatically give the glorious "realistic" title to animes that makes them feel sad, angry, etc.
Apr 9, 2017 1:23 PM

Aug 2011
Hachiko75 said:
The last episode was realistic enough to the point they had to postpone the air date....
Nice boat....I mean, comment.
incisorr said:
i love it when people start acting like some neutral almighty unbiased godly judge and they even believe their own shit, suddenly its not their thoughts and opinions anymore but the righteous justice god way, they are unbiased, non-subjective, they just are! To be honest, everyone is like this quite often, me included, but i don't forget myself and i still post a lot of personal shit which is what forums are made for , if they didn't want us to have our own style and posts it would be an article instead a forum thread.

More topics from this board

» Is School Days a misunderstood masterpiece?

SkyEatsOcean - Jan 30, 2015

49 by Archean-Return »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » School Days Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ranivus - Sep 20, 2007

1286 by Archean-Return »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » School Days Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

OriginalName - Sep 12, 2007

207 by Archean-Return »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » School Days Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

cyruz - Sep 5, 2007

204 by Archean-Return »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » School Days Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

DeleteMe3409 - Aug 29, 2007

177 by Archean-Return »»
Yesterday, 2:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.