Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 3, 2016 5:50 AM

Jun 2014
Both are written in katakana and these are usually romanized to the officially chosen name when there's no kanji readings to interpret (i.e 悟空=ごくう).

So why the contradiction, going by this standard shouldn't Bulma be Buruma?

I just want to know the reasoning behind this, seems like the majority of characters and anime titles don't use direct katakana interpretations, so why just for Krillin?
Apr 3, 2016 6:15 AM

Apr 2013
I'm going to take an opposite stance compared to what I usually take in that type of thread around here. I don't see why either, and AFAIK such writing isn't officially approved/official at all.
When Goku was changed into Gokuu, I understood the logic behind the choice and supported it against the DB fans protesting.

But literally romanizing katakana is usually considered a beginner's mistake (baring exceptions where it's actually proven to be the correct choice) in Japanese. For which reason was this one changed? The source using such spelling?
Not only does it looks like a mistake and usually is a mistake, but it also goes against the standard followed by the remaining character database on MAL (as well as against fan, so this one is actually going against absolutely everything AFAIK, contrary to cases like gokuu) .

Are we going to see stuff like "Furemi Supiddorou" any time soon ?
ZefyrisApr 3, 2016 6:20 AM
Apr 3, 2016 6:24 AM
Mar 2011
Zefyris said:
I'm going to take an opposite stance compared to what I usually take in that type of thread around here. I don't see why either, and AFAIK such writing isn't officially approved/official at all.
When Goku was changed into Gokuu, I understood the logic behind the choice and supported it against the DB fans protesting.

But literally romanizing katakana is usually considered a beginner's mistake (baring exceptions where it's actually proven to be the correct choice) in Japanese. For which reason was this one changed? The source using such spelling?
Not only does it looks like a mistake and usually is a mistake, but it also goes against the standard followed by the remaining character database on MAL (as well as against fan, so this one is actually going against absolutely everything AFAIK, contrary to cases like gokuu) .

the U u spelling is odd to me if you romannzi the kanji it may romanize that way since it Chinese kanji[ the Japanese chinese read ie Onyomi cuase its the Japanese way of reading sun wukong that os were UU comes from not the Goku is Goku if isr kunyomi kanji
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 3, 2016 6:32 AM

Apr 2013
DateYutaka said:
Zefyris said:

the U u spelling is odd to me if you romannzi the kanji it may romanize that way since it Chinese kanji[ the Japanese chinese read ie Onyomi cuase its the Japanese way of reading sun wukong that os were UU comes from not the Goku is Goku if isr kunyomi kanji

I know it's odd to you and I understand why but
-it's logical to put it if you want the whole mal database to follow the same romanizing rule (hepburn waapuro). Removing the additional u from everything isn't an option as it was talked before, so at least let's have the database be consistent like a true database should be.
-that's not the topic,t he topic is about "kuririn" ;).
Apr 3, 2016 6:52 AM
Mar 2011
Zefyris said:
DateYutaka said:

I know it's odd to you and I understand why but
-it's logical to put it if you want the whole mal database to follow the same romanizing rule (hepburn waapuro). Removing the additional u from everything isn't an option as it was talked before, so at least let's have the database be consistent like a true database should be.
-that's not the topic,t he topic is about "kuririn" ;).

im in anti hepburn camp i say us JSL or Shiki Romanization than all thigs all be accurate

and for crhacrters have it wittten as spoken in the Japanese Voiced version of the anime

so kuririn is right in that fact

Hepbrun leads to all the extra hs's and U and so on thats hould not be there is romannz properly

Hepbrun is flawed cuase alot of the time it fails to take in to account context ir reading when it come to older wordslike Goku a name taken from a Chinese novel

and i feel the same about pinyin ofr Chinese wade is better for that too
DateYutakaApr 3, 2016 6:56 AM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Apr 3, 2016 7:19 AM

Jul 2013
The issue with Kuririn's name is that there are several 'officially' released romanisation. Toriyama Akira himself has used Kuririn (ch. 166) and Kulilin (ch. 247). VIZ Media's print uses Kuririn; FUNimation's dub uses Krillin; Bandai and Toei have both used Klilyn and Krilyn in game merchandise.

Kuririn is the safest and most logical choice to use.

Zefyris said:
No. :)
Apr 3, 2016 7:29 AM

Apr 2013
Ana said:
The issue with Kuririn's name is that there are several 'officially' released romanisation. Toriyama Akira himself has used Kuririn (ch. 166) and Kulilin (ch. 247). VIZ Media's print uses Kuririn; FUNimation's dub uses Krillin; Bandai and Toei have both used Klilyn and Krilyn in game merchandise.

Thanks for the clarification. This makes sense as a choice then.

Zefyris said:

Well that's a relief :3

@DateYutaka : I know you dislike it. For your information, I actually like kunreishiki and used to use it quite a bit on French and English speaking boards years ago. But it generated conflict (fans being angry that I was spelling their favourite character/anime's name "wrongly") as well as off topic (peoples quoting me just by curiosity of knowing why I was spelling X or Y name like that), so I stopped, as the goal wasn't to generate off topic or conflict in threads. You can't change the fact that most foreigner among anime fans are only acquainted with Hepburn and don't know kunreishiki.
Also, spelling "like you hear" for katakana would generate lots of wrongly spelled name so that's a no. It's not correct romanization anyway, no matter the type of romanization chosen.
Apr 3, 2016 7:41 AM
Mar 2011
Zefyris said:
Ana said:

@DateYutaka : I know you dislike it. For your information, I actually like kunreishiki and used to use it quite a bit on French and English speaking boards years ago. But it generated conflict (fans being angry that I was spelling their favourite character/anime's name "wrongly") as well as off topic (peoples quoting me just by curiosity of knowing why I was spelling X or Y name like that), so I stopped, as the goal wasn't to generate off topic or conflict in threads. You can't change the fact that most foreigner among anime fans are only acquainted with Hepburn and don't know kunreishiki.
Also, spelling "like you hear" for katakana would generate lots of wrongly spelled name so that's a no. It's not correct romanization anyway, no matter the type of romanization chosen.

for the base way japanese works spelling as you hear is easy its not English with its odd spelling rules Japanese [ well the main Japanese only not Japanpic Languges like Miyako or ainu and like ] can over al be spelt as heard or thats my view on it

Apr 3, 2016 7:46 AM

Apr 2013
DateYutaka said:
Zefyris said:

for the base way japanese works spelling as you hear is easy its not English with its odd spelling rules Japanese [ well the main Japanese only not Japanpic Languges like Miyako or ainu and like ] can over al be spelt as heard or thats my view on it

That's incorrect thinking. When you write something in Katakana then YES, you are supposed to "spell it as you hear" because that's the very way katakana work. But when you use roman letter, you're supposed to spell any word "properly" and not just "as you hear it". What you're saying here is the way the katakana system works, not the way romanizing katakana works.
Apr 3, 2016 7:49 AM

Sep 2015
IIRC Bloomers=Buruma=Bulma following the underwear themed names in her family. It was considered lewd or something so her name wasn't kept that way
Apr 3, 2016 7:53 AM

Jun 2014
Ana said:

I guess it makes sense, even Bulma is technically a butchered romanization done by Toriyama himself that nobody bothered to change, the way it should be is something like Bluma since it still maintains the original pun and still sounds like a plausible name, he just didn't know what he was doing with those really.

But what about the wonky romanizations like Fay in Tsubasa Chronicle, from the translation notes I read at the back of Del Rey's releases they mentioned they just wrote it as Fai because it is the more logical way for it to be presented even though it's technically not the type CLAMP made. Same with Hunter X Hunter, but some of those are really bizarre, Jin to Ging doesn't make any sense, Gin makes way more sense.

But thanks for the input, I tried searching the forums for a response to why it was like this but no results were found so I made this, I was figuring it was something like that from the start though.

starlabbu said:
IIRC Bloomers=Buruma=Bulma following the underwear themed names in her family. It was considered lewd or something so her name wasn't kept that way

I'm pretty sure this is more of the reason though

bloomers isn't necessarily that lewd of a term in western terms usually, it usually satirizes underwear
Apr 3, 2016 8:08 AM
Mar 2011
Zefyris said:
DateYutaka said:

That's incorrect thinking. When you write something in Katakana then YES, you are supposed to "spell it as you hear" because that's the very way katakana work. But when you use roman letter, you're supposed to spell any word "properly" and not just "as you hear it". What you're saying here is the way the katakana system works, not the way romanizing katakana works.

the closest you get is if you use jsl romaniation witch is the proper mandatateed way of romannizef japanese [ im japanese btw ]

and JSL is the from of romanzination that the Japanese Govermenat madates use of ie its the one that should be used in exams for non native speakers

the number one thing that bugs me with hepburn is the extra H's[ other letters] idea like Mutoh for examaple that sort od romanziation error is hepburn systems fault

adn that sort of error is the top thing that needs to get out of the DB since its th most common one i have seen

i know i mispell english word some times but not in such a way that are to far wrong

for exmaple that name should be Muto [ the H as a single sound does nor exiats in Japanese ]

Hepuburn romanzation falies ot see that

JSL is the= by far the best form and JSL Stabds for Japanese spoken Language Japanese is Phonically perfect so JSL works my personal view

Apr 12, 2016 5:22 PM

Oct 2015
@Ana
German version:
In the anime they always said Krillin but in the manga it was Kuririn with no exception.
As for the games, in Dragonball Raging Blast 2 they spelled it ''Kuririn'' as well (again German version). But I'm not sure how he is spelled in the English version since I've read it in English.. Is it Krillin or Krilyn?

But I guess @DateYutaka is right about what he stated in his previous posts.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Character & People DB - Recent Merges/Removals ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kuroshiroi - Dec 6, 2009

1406 by Barbaduk »»
Today, 6:32 AM

» Picture Change Request (Yae Miko)

Rhae - May 11

0 by Rhae »»
May 11, 12:07 PM

» Character Picture move Request

Yunan13 - May 4

0 by Yunan13 »»
May 4, 6:47 AM

» Norio Wakamoto did narration for Kyuuketsuki Sugu Shinu 2

ryu2k2 - Apr 21

0 by ryu2k2 »»
Apr 21, 6:17 AM

» Tatsunoko Production profile pic disappeared?

EdgyEcchiSenpai - Apr 17

1 by Jhiday »»
Apr 18, 1:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.