Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 6, 2016 3:14 PM

Jun 2012
I've been an Eva fan for close to fifteen years now and more often than not Asuka gets lumped in with the rest of the modern day Tsuns. While it might be convenient for some to just place her in this category it is technically incorrect.The truth is there is no softer, kinder hidden side to her just sadness and depression.

Asuka might be the reason why you see so many Tsundere's in modern day anime, but I see that as more of a reaction to the true character of Asuka than anything else. In a way all modern clones could be seen as a way of "fixing"her character. (Not that every Tsun is a clone)

Her real classification: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SourOutsideSadInside?from=Main.Tsunshun

It no wonder she suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder
BobbyFischerGFeb 6, 2016 3:30 PM
Feb 7, 2016 5:52 AM

Aug 2015
You see, the problem is that many people don't even notice some obvious things that Im about to point out. It's actually really great to see another Eva fan who knows that Asuka isn't a Tsundere.

The main debate here settles in the fact that she never really LOVES someone in the series exept her mother.
Almost all the characters in the series use other characters for their own ideology based on their psychological problems. Example: Misato uses Shinji for her own personal vendetta against her father (she even says that in the second episode).
While Misato's intentions were less subtle than Asuka's intentions may seem not subtle at all.
Asuka wanted to be recognized as a mature adult which leads to her desire to be recognized as a great pilot. This is explained by the fact that her mother wanted her to die with her but since Asuka wanted to live on, she rejected her mother by changing her persona to a more mature individual who can make decisions for himself while still being in a body of a young kid. That is all of course her big mask that she hides from others and even from herself.
So, now that we understand her problem, we clearly see that love is a bit unrelated is it? I mean, one could argue that she want love from Kaji because he is like a replacement for her mother but that's wrong because she later on goes to Shinji and tries to do intemate things with him too (and she also goes on a date with some other kids that aren't mentioned). Through-out the series she never shows true love, more like a try to make a connection rather than to find love.
"Why doesn't Asuka want love? She wanted to kiss Shinji!" -
Well did you even see the idea of that scene? At first she asks Shinji about what Kaji and Misato were doing (they were on a date so she was interested) she then tries to force Shinji to kiss her by mentioning his dead mother (so romantic) and then being disappointing that he rejects her.
You see, all that time, all Asuka's moments with Kaji or that kiss scene with Shinji were meant to show how Asuka wants to validate her self as an adult." If Kaji is a mature adult than being his girlfriend means that Im mature too!", "If Kaji is with Misato doing mature stuff together than I want to do it, too. hmm... who should I pick? The only other male replacement there is: Shinji!"

Asuka doesn't seek love but validation.Hence, a character that acts like that is not a Tsundere at all.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Yesterday, 9:46 AM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.