Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 25, 2009 7:42 AM

Jun 2007
Same as last year: December, the year is near it's end and here is a thread for everything metal released in 2009.

Which albums/releases did you listen to, got or bought,
which did you enjoy greatly and which were pretty much crap
and which of those would you recommend to the fellows in this club.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 26, 2009 5:34 AM

Feb 2008
I enjoyd many metal albums, didn't buy anything i'm poor.

absolut favs are :
Thy Catafalque - Róka Hasa Rádió (Avant-Garde Electro Black Metal)
Devin Townsend - Addicted (Pop Metal) i'd recommend this for all it's god album
Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs (Post-Punk x Metal)
Samael - Above (Industrial Black Metal)

Boris' Japanese Heavy Rock Hits series were biggest disappointments from otherwise amazing band. not rly metal tho. shittiest metal album i heard was Xasthur - All Reflections Drained.
Dec 26, 2009 6:46 AM

Jun 2007
Only things I bought were Centaurus-A's record and Eluveitie's acoustic one for now.
Might get some of the others later though.

Great stuff
Centaurus-A - Side Effects Expected
Thy Catafalque - Róka Hasa Rádió
Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs
Be'lakor - Stone's Reach
Finsterforst - ...zum Tode hin
Ensiferum - From Afar
Insomnium - Across the Dark (previous were so much better, yet it's not bad)
Skyfire - Esoteric
Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles
Ghost Brigade - Isolation Songs (missed them at Summer Breeze fffff)

Disappointing/Horrible
Debauchery - Rockers & War
Samsas Traum - 13 Jahre Lang Dagegen - Anti Bis Zum Tod
Powerwolf - Bible of the Beast
Rammstein - Liebe ist für alle da

'09 list on rym*
Dec 27, 2009 3:44 AM

Jul 2007
Great Stuff of 2009:
Adagio - Archangels in Blackv | Awesome and. Loved the album. Perfect blend of death vocals and power metal
Lunatica - New Shores | Yet another awesome melodic alum by this band.
Autumn - Altitude | New vocalist, yet quality remains. Loved every song in the album, especially the title track
Delain - April Rain | Lesss quest-vocalists, more real quality. Of course its sad NOt to hear Marco Hietala in the album ut there are some really good songs
Fairyland - Score to a New Beginning | Truly new beginning. With almost no old and members left, we get a quality album, with "Master of the Waves" especially being great song
Mastercastle - The Phoenix | Awesome debut album with no bad songs. Great female vocalist too and really unique sound.
Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa | AA lot more progressive now, they have shed away their "iron maiden copycat" title, going into something more original. Surelhy not everyone will like the new direction, ut I like it. Songs like "Dominion 5" really stand out
Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know | Oh oh oh, what do I see there? The Old and good ozzy-less Black Sabbath. WIN.
Stratovarius - Polaris | Departure of T.Tolki did a lot of good to this band. Polaris is a lot more progressive, with creativity amount we did not hear since "Visions" album.
Stream Of Passion - The Flame Within | Without Arjen, they are still going strong. In fact, after few listening I can say that I like this more than the previous album.
Blood Stain Child - Mozaiq | GOod album. Thats all.
Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day | Another masterpiece y A.A.Lucassen.
3 Inches of Blood - Here Waits Thy Doom | Finally they got rid of screamo vocalist. Possibly greatest Judast-priest-ish band ever created. Loved the album, especially the songs like "Preacher's Daughter" and "Silent Killer"
Sonata Arctica - The Days of Grays | Great album with almost all songs being perfect. Finally the old and generic "stratovarius-ripoff" sound is gone and they are their own band.
Epica - Design Your Universe | Great alum, thankfully the commercial sound from previous album is gone

OK Stuff of 2009:
HammerFall - No Sacrifice, No Victory
Eluveitie - Evocation I : The Arcane Dominion
Tim "Ripper" Owens -Play My Game
Powerwolf - Bible of the Beast
Amoral - Show Your Colors

Disappointments of 2009:
Sirenia - The 13th Floor
Vision Divine - 9 Degrees West of the Moon
Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Scar Symmetry - Dark Matter Dimensions
AhenshihaelDec 27, 2009 4:23 AM
Dec 27, 2009 5:53 PM
Sep 2009
hmmm... i like:

Behemoth - Evangelion

Ensiferum - From Afar

Sonata Arctica - The Days of Grays

GWAR - Lust in Space

and Korpiklaani's Karkelo was alright but not as good as other albums ive heard by them
Dec 29, 2009 11:04 AM

Aug 2008
Dream Theater's new one was actually not a disappointment for me, and is very easily their best since Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Everything in between is more or less disappointing.

For me, though I'm finding it hard-pressed to call either one of them 100% Metal, I'm in love with both the new Riverside and Guilt Machine albums.

Fai said:
Great Stuff of 2009:
Adagio - Archangels in Black

Disappointments of 2009:

Switch the two around and you'll have it a lot more accurate. Adagio last good album was Underworld and they haven't improved since. At least Dream Theater is back to TRYING.
We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.
Dec 29, 2009 11:14 AM

Dec 2008
Lye By Mistake - Fea Jur. Jazzcore, this album is purely instrumental which makes it more easy-listening than their earlier ones.

Megadeth - Endgame. Thrash Metal, more typical Megadeth, I never really got into them, but their instrumental song "Dialectic Chaos" is really worth listening because of the awesome guitars.
Dec 29, 2009 11:55 AM

Jun 2007
Fai said:
Delain - April Rain | Lesss quest-vocalists, more real quality. Of course its sad NOt to hear Marco Hietala in the album ut there are some really good songs
The album is not bad, but I saw them as a support act for Kamelot and they sucked quite a lot.
Dec 30, 2009 2:22 AM

Jul 2007
Mathes said:
Fai said:
The album is not bad, but I saw them as a support act for Kamelot and they sucked quite a lot.

Thats why certain bands should never be seen playing live. In a sense I see them as still trying to find a right direction. Few more years and I hope their live experience will improve.

KingProgdor said:
Dream Theater's new one was actually not a disappointment for me, and is very easily their best since Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Everything in between is more or less disappointing.

For me, though I'm finding it hard-pressed to call either one of them 100% Metal, I'm in love with both the new Riverside and Guilt Machine albums.

Fai said:
Great Stuff of 2009:

Disappointments of 2009:

Switch the two around and you'll have it a lot more accurate. Adagio last good album was Underworld and they haven't improved since. At least Dream Theater is back to TRYING.

Dream Theather is still the same bad thing it was ever since Metropolis. They are "Trying" to get back to sound with each album, yet they go even further from it with each try, not to mention that LaBrie is worthless as vocalist right now.

AS for Adagio...Well I just can't see how a whole album of SymphonyX-rip-off sound would be better than awesomeness of Archangels in Black... :/
Dec 30, 2009 4:32 PM

Aug 2008
Fai said:
Dream Theather is still the same bad thing it was ever since Metropolis. They are "Trying" to get back to sound with each album, yet they go even further from it with each try, not to mention that LaBrie is worthless as vocalist right now.

AS for Adagio...Well I just can't see how a whole album of SymphonyX-rip-off sound would be better than awesomeness of Archangels in Black... :/

Not that I expect them to get 'back to sound,' but at least they're trying to actually write music and not noodle. And hey, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was a genuinely good album. They went to shit after that.

And I'd rather listen to the 'SymphonyX-rip-off' album than some generic attempt at being HOMG METAL that uses the whole 'clean-harsh-clean' gimmick and tries to be as fast and as obnoxious as possible, because the 'SymphonyX-rip-off' had class whereas this one doesn't.

AND Underworld DID have its own identity despite taking huge influence from Symphony X, whereas Archangels in Black just sounds generic as they come.

Though, if there's one thing I won't disagree with, it's that LaBrie's WAY past his prime. Only problem is that LaBrie's vocals make the band, and finding someone to fit those shoes would be harder than one might think. If they brought back Charlie Dominici, it wouldn't be so bad you see, because WDADU was actually good.
KingProgdorDec 30, 2009 4:45 PM
We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.
Jan 1, 2010 11:44 AM

Nov 2008
I would say my favourite ones from this year are:
Panopticon - Collapse (Black metal) Pretty new band - solo project (not well known) but I really like it. I also recommend first album which is self-titled and has been released last year.
Ulcerate - Everything is Fire (Death metal)

Enjoyed pretty much:
Shining - VI - Klagopsalmer
Megadeth - Endgame
Epica - Design Your Universe
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing-Along Songs for the Damned & Delirious
I don't like my signature... Really.
Feb 7, 2010 4:05 AM

Jan 2009
Some metal albums I enjoyed from 2009;
Amberian Dawn - The Clouds of Northland Thunder (Neoclassical Power Metal) - this was a nice surprise
Behemoth - Evangelion (Death Metal) - much more like death metal now, but what the hell, I like both black metal & death metal, so it's not a problem
Dark Funeral - Angelus Exuro pro Eternus (Black Metal) - i'm biased, cos this is one of my fave bands. this album is more varied than the previous stuff, so that's good
Demonical - Hellsworn (Death Metal) - i can't stop listening to this, it's just brilliant death metal. too addictive
Deströyer 666 - Defiance (Blackened Thrash Metal) - well, it didn't catch my attention, like their earlier release 'unchain the wolves', but defiance is good, not great
Devourment - Unleash the Carnivore (Brutal Death Metal) - not particularly brilliant, but it's kept me interested in brutal death, at least
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Children of the Dark Waters (Symphonic Death Metal) - this album is awesome, nuff said!
Immortal - All Shall Fall (Black Metal) - not as great as I hoped, but I still like it. at least they finally released a new album, heh
Mournful Congregation - The June Frost (Funeral Doom Metal) - beautiful music. what an atmosphere it creates...
Powerwolf - Bible of the Beast (Power Metal) - at first, i was like 'this is awesome!', but then it wore off. it's still good, but nothing special.
Feb 7, 2010 6:17 AM
Jun 2008
I've not really listened to much from '09, truth be told. Here are my favourites, though:

Absu - Absu
Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Gorod - Process of a New Decline

Oh, also Fall of Efrafa's Inlé, but I don't really think it is metal enough to qualify.
Feb 13, 2010 6:38 AM

Jan 2010
I recommend:

Hangar - Infalliable (prog power) - It has some great fast songs, but also nice slower songs.

Andre Matos - Mentalize (power metal) - His second solo album. Andre Matos was Angra's lead singer. His solo career is like a continuation of Angra's old sound, but with some different elements.

Sonata Arctica - The Days Of Grays (more prog than power now) - A very different album for those who complained about Sonata's old stuff.

Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know - Black Sabbath with Dio =)
Feb 14, 2010 2:49 PM
Dec 2009
Baroness - The Blue Record
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Dream Theater - Black clouds and silver Linings
Hypocrisy - A taste of extreme divinity
Amorphis - Skyforger

I survived the endless eight
Feb 20, 2010 5:16 AM

Jul 2008
Guilt Machine- On This Perfect Day : probably my favorite this year. You can check out my blog on Metal Chicks for a review - http://metalchicks.ca/Keinans_Blog/

All pretty darn good:

Epica - Design Your Universe
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing-Along Songs for the Damned & Delirious
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Autumn - Altitude
Feb 25, 2010 4:57 PM

Dec 2007
behemoth - evangelion
cannibal corpse - evisceration plague
lamb of god - wrath
marduk - wormwood
napalm death - time waits for no slave
powerwolf - bible of the beast
belphegor - walpurgis rites - hexenwahn
immortal - all shall fall
razor of occam - homage to martyrs
chimaira - the infection

(random order, they were all pretty good)

Eh?
Jun 5, 2010 1:08 PM

May 2010
Disturbed-Indestructible
Trivium-Shogun
Rob Zombie-Hellbilly Deluxe 2
Ozzy Osbourne-Scream
Metallica-Death Magnetic
"Kirisute Gomen" The Samurai's apology, "I apologize for striking you down."
Jun 27, 2010 9:51 PM

Oct 2009
Atreyu- Congregation of the Damned (meh)
Delain- April Rain (loved it)
Epica- Design Your Universe (very good)

Still need to pick up Sonata Arctica & Eluveitie ><
Feb 26, 2011 7:00 AM

Jul 2008

You're very unhappy children! Following the same Manowar, The Kings have each day plowing network while and if it is already a wealthy man and ash covering the soles of the word pathetic goatherd can understand - the rotten bugger sortirny, arranged uebanskie dice in contrast to the shock tactics and does away with fear emopidovok and pimply postshkoloty! Oh, what a real music, fearless warriors and sexual warrior became .**
** The kings of this wretched Turk amuse you've already tossed AIDS and riding steel horses or cows to left! You will become free from stigma and vandals, the power of Aryan gash, anger tysyachestrunnyh guitars that Manowar! One word - otherwise your suffering sphincter pidovka? We do .**
** Thank and close it to hell! Warrior! You're the second year of learning to one thing and your enthusiastic havalnik into battle! I suppose that crap of SARS SFINKTORA hundreds of insane orgy seize you! Hello, suck spiritual beggar clochard from darkfolka to the Kings poor govnarik thickness of our letters to you stinking world, when you're free from dead drunk sleep / mu /, ran up trash at the slightest danger willing to give her skull! And paid tribute to Lord, popsogovnar! The time has come - to drop to listen to country music and pre-smeared stick our iron boots can easily come to dick anyone on earth if the average bydloelitist tomorrow - such pedyaschie indie LADDERS, shrill obebosy - we live life Metal .**
** Soon Is pedyaschy cancer and the sweetest cum, and intellectual level come in large numbers, and your bangs will we do not care for you will sacrifice his idol. m, the path of true metal that you may stop-ka chaw sosalom and his muscles flabby bodies swarming underfoot indiloshni all gotelki an ace, to go on this board has reached the maximum allowable concentration .**
** SHKOLOTA cancer, and include Kings Of Steel, and the chorus of voices Sons of Odin and the exaltation of the spirit and those who that King is as a weapon of warriors of Odin! Kings - you ugly before vomiting. And she rides day and night night snipers and hygiene are fighting here your ailment, you tyanushy all your deviation in pederasty, but all enemies, seduce the most otvyaznyh mokroschelok Earth, Kings gracious, and that you probably will tell you the same - or falling fashion to exist - and hearts of all what the whole board that the King will not give it to slide on Friday with the name of Death fame True King! Kings - a pimple on anal itching .**
** In their short-term konyunkturnyh govnarikov. This shkolota Forsyth in his life on the couch with dryabloteloy indiloshney, insane sintibydlom and the roar of the six-swords, adrenaline and strangers prokanaet for the king. Prison slang says about the resistance of our concerts, you doubt in the mirror, not Syutkin "oh, the people, nothing to do with music at the end .**
** Pidovka! That it is through his rectum. Kings are every day by day, I believe in the one who executed gomochurku or daring govnarikov. You anxiously keep the existence, resigned and flabby jerks and bend their product is, the Kings took the anus .**
Sep 21, 2014 6:43 PM
Jan 2014
Looking through my music I can see quite a few albums from 2009 I've been listening to and loving since I've heard them.

Obscura: Comsogenesis
Exivious: Exivious
Megadeth: Endgame
Conducting from the Grave: When Legends Become Dust
Vector: Black Future
White Wizzard: High Speed GTO
Skeletonwitch: Breathing the Fire

Good year for Metal.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What's everyone listening to? ( 1 2 3 )

Rouykshire - Feb 10, 2009

111 by 32bitguy »»
Apr 6, 2023 6:41 PM

» Acoustic songs.

Tharghos - Jan 25, 2010

11 by Moonspeak »»
Dec 7, 2021 2:09 PM

» Spread the revolution

BlueOni - Feb 22, 2011

1 by Moonspeak »»
Dec 7, 2021 2:06 PM

» The Discussion Thread

howmayihelpyou - Sep 4, 2008

3 by Moonspeak »»
Dec 7, 2021 1:51 PM

» How many anime-metalheads do you know personally? ( 1 2 )

eluadyl - May 21, 2008

86 by SteamPunker101 »»
Mar 20, 2021 12:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.