Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 14, 2015 1:52 PM

Oct 2008
The fuck?

I just searched the entire internet trying to find if this is true or not.

No, it's not.
No sub wiki, not on reddit, not on 4chan, not anywhere does self respecting dragonball/anime fan call him Gokuu

Please fix.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 14, 2015 2:01 PM

Jul 2013
Rin Toosaka says hello
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2015 2:05 PM
Mar 2011
its English bullshit poor translation for the Toosaka one Gokuu is the transliteration form Chinese
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 14, 2015 2:38 PM

Mar 2014
While Tohsaka can be consider wrong I still find it ridiculous that MAL won't at least add "Tohsaka" somewhere in her name so people can at least search for it, how anti-userfriendly can you be?
At least with Gokuu you can just search for Goku and it'll get you there.
Jul 15, 2015 9:21 PM

Oct 2008
Well I just submitted a change anyway.

Whatever database admin decided this was proper......

I have no words for you.
Jul 17, 2015 6:08 AM

Apr 2013
Too bad the "songokuu" is actually perfectly correct, heh.
This is hepburn/waapuro way to romanise Japanese, and that's the standard method used on internet in the western countries. Songokuu is called in japanese "孫悟空(そんごくう)" (directly copy pasted from the japanese version of dragonball's wikipedia page) which indeed in hepburn-waapuro is "songokuu".
It's making an exception for "goku" that wouldn't make sense. This is a database, it's logical to decide a romanisation system to follow and to keep following it on every entry rather than stupidly choosing one on one entry and another system for another entry.

So give it up already. For tohsaka, it's a variation of the usual standard used rarely(but very often used by fans for tohsaka indeed), but correct in itself. But it's not the one decided to follow on this website. But I agree that they should create for characters entry something similar to the manga/anime entry to list the different writings so that the search engine can find the character with other correct and common spellings.
Jul 17, 2015 6:57 AM

Mar 2014
Zefyris said:
This is hepburn/waapuro way to romanise Japanese, and that's the standard method used on internet in the western countries. Songokuu is called in japanese "孫悟空(そんごくう)" (directly copy pasted from the japanese version of dragonball's wikipedia page) which indeed in hepburn-waapuro is "songokuu".
It's making an exception for "goku" that wouldn't make sense. This is a database, it's logical to decide a romanisation system to follow and to keep following it on every entry rather than stupidly choosing one on one entry and another system for another entry.

So give it up already. For tohsaka, it's a variation of the usual standard used rarely(but very often used by fans for tohsaka indeed), but correct in itself. But it's not the one decided to follow on this website. But I agree that they should create for characters entry something similar to the manga/anime entry to list the different writings so that the search engine can find the character with other correct and common spellings.
It's not just the problem that "Tohsaka" isn't "correct" it's just that that's what fans use and MAL will usually add fan given names to characters' names to allow for easy search, but for whatever reason they haven't done that here.
Jul 17, 2015 7:14 AM
Mar 2011
Zefyris said:

ie why hepburn is awful is is in fact the worst from as is pinyin for mandarin

for future refrerence
non Japanese Linguinst or study japanese willl use Nihon-shiki or JSL to romanzi japanese thus giving a more accurate romanization
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jul 17, 2015 12:01 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Moved
Jul 17, 2015 1:02 PM

Apr 2013
FGAU1912 said:
Zefyris said:

for future refrerence
non Japanese Linguinst or study japanese willl use Nihon-shiki or JSL to romanzi japanese thus giving a more accurate romanization

I saw you complaining about that everytime that type of thread is created. So yes, I know your argument already. Now Hepburn-shiki is used over kunrei/nihon-shiki almost everywhere outside of japan as the main romanisation method. How about you stop trying to have the whole world changing their method? Or do you seriously think that you can achieve that by complaining about Hepburn-shiki on MyAnimeList?

Even people studying japanese in the west usualy uses hepburn-shiki as their main method. Yes, WE KNOW how the other systems works, contrary to those who didn't study japanese. But that still doesn't make it the system we use.

I personally like kunrei-shiki better. However, no one use it on the internet in western boards. And peoples who don't speak japanese get confused by it as well. So there's no point in debating that. You won't change the system the whole world is using.
Paulo27 said:
Zefyris said:

It's not just the problem that "Tohsaka" isn't "correct" it's just that that's what fans use and MAL will usually add fan given names to characters' names to allow for easy search, but for whatever reason they haven't done that here.

That's exactly what I'm saying. It's correct, but it isn't the method chosen for MAL so the only way it could get implemented is by adding a place on the character's profiles for "other writings" so that we can find Toosaka Rin by writing Tohsaka in the MAL search function.
Which they should indeed do, so I was agreeing with your suggestion.
ZefyrisJul 17, 2015 1:07 PM
Jul 20, 2015 12:28 AM

Oct 2008
I'm basing the fact it should be changed not on technical terms - but on the grounds no self respecting dragon ball fan or anyone curious about Dragon ball will see "Gokuu" and immediately make sense of the name. There's a bunch of results on MAL when you search Son Goku to begin with.

It's just fucking stupid. No one who speaks/writes English calls him "Gokuu"

Just stop whoever's keeping this up. He was on my favorites for the longest time with a non weaboo tainted name.

It's fucking stupid.
Jul 20, 2015 12:30 AM

Oct 2008
Taken from wikipedia on DBZ

"Dragon Ball Z follows the adventures of the protagonist Goku who, along with his companions"

Taken from wikipedia on Dragonball

"Dragon Ball follows the adventures of the protagonist Son Goku"

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Goku

Stop.
Jul 20, 2015 2:22 AM

Apr 2013
VegitaFajita said:

Just stop whoever's keeping this up. He was on my favorites for the longest time with a non weaboo tainted name.

It's fucking stupid.

So you're basically asking that the whole database make an exception in his romanisation system for your favourite character? I see. Well, you can always ask.

Personally, that's your request that I find very, very ignorant. MAL isn't a Dragon Ball fansite. That character is part of a database and a database HAVE to follow proper standard for EVERYTHING or it's just a mess. There is more than 82,000 characters in the database. At that, add all the anime and all the manga entry as well, which follow the same standard. Care to explain why your character should have a different system than any of the other, Or are you proposing to change the system for every character in the database then? For example, One of your favourite character Tokuchi Toua would become Toa, and so on.
If they were to do that, not only would it require more than a hundred of thousand of changes (as this include the synopsis and character's description to be checked and names be changed) we would get tons of threads like yours in reverse asking for revert the change of their favourite characters.
BTW if we follow FGA1912's proposition above, it would become "Tokuti Toa".

Well, good luck having the admin approve the change of 82,000 characters +20,000+ anime and manga just for your favourite character.

BTW, Hepburn system have nothing to do with a "weaboo". That 's a very old system that has been the standard in the west for everything. It's the western way to do it. Look back at the weaboo definition. Going for the western system is actually the exact contrary of the weaboo definition :].
Refusing a standard just to have your favourite character write the way you like in a database. Ridiculous.
ZefyrisJul 20, 2015 2:55 AM
Jul 20, 2015 4:19 PM

Oct 2008
No. It has nothing to do with being ignorant.

Having his name Gokuu is what is actually ignorant.

His name was Son Goku before on MAL.
There was never a reason to change it.
The proper standard is "Goku", not "Gokuu".

If you'd like I'll link you to the reddit thread I created about his name. You should see some of the replies I got.

Tl;dr version - Again, no one I've ever met refers to his name as Goku, nor does anywhere else on the internet besides MAL
^
That should be your red flag right there.
Jul 20, 2015 4:31 PM

Mar 2014
Can you not read? That's not how his named is romanized, following the rules MAL is following for romanizing names.
Just give it up already.
Jul 20, 2015 6:05 PM
Jul 2018
Paulo27 said:
While Tohsaka can be consider wrong I still find it ridiculous that MAL won't at least add "Tohsaka" somewhere in her name so people can at least search for it, how anti-userfriendly can you be?

There should be an alternative names thing, like how there's alternative titles for anime and manga.
Jul 20, 2015 6:09 PM
Mar 2011
VegitaFajita said:
No. It has nothing to do with being ignorant.

Having his name Gokuu is what is actually ignorant.

His name was Son Goku before on MAL.
There was never a reason to change it.
The proper standard is "Goku", not "Gokuu".

If you'd like I'll link you to the reddit thread I created about his name. You should see some of the replies I got.

Tl;dr version - Again, no one I've ever met refers to his name as Goku, nor does anywhere else on the internet besides MAL
^
That should be your red flag right there.

its god aefull romanizsation Standards mal uses

Jul 20, 2015 6:12 PM
Mar 2011
Zefyris said:
FGAU1912 said:

for future refrerence

I saw you complaining about that everytime that type of thread is created. So yes, I know your argument already. Now Hepburn-shiki is used over kunrei/nihon-shiki almost everywhere outside of japan as the main romanisation method. How about you stop trying to have the whole world changing their method? Or do you seriously think that you can achieve that by complaining about Hepburn-shiki on MyAnimeList?

Even people studying japanese in the west usualy uses hepburn-shiki as their main method. Yes, WE KNOW how the other systems works, contrary to those who didn't study japanese. But that still doesn't make it the system we use.

I personally like kunrei-shiki better. However, no one use it on the internet in western boards. And peoples who don't speak japanese get confused by it as well. So there's no point in debating that. You won't change the system the whole world is using.
Paulo27 said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. It's correct, but it isn't the method chosen for MAL so the only way it could get implemented is by adding a place on the character's profiles for "other writings" so that we can find Toosaka Rin by writing Tohsaka in the MAL search function.
Which they should indeed do, so I was agreeing with your suggestion.

i do not see were the confusion wil come form im sorry

then use JSL the modernized version of nihon shiki

Jul 20, 2015 6:25 PM

Oct 2008
Paulo27 said:
Can you not read? That's not how his named is romanized, following the rules MAL is following for romanizing names.
Just give it up already.

The rules of what? "Lets be different bullshit"?

MAL's rules are CLEARLY fucking stupid then when every other site on the internet is basically calling MAL retarded for having his name referenced that way.

Alright

I think Naruto should be spelled Naruuto because it sounds that way.

This is how fucking stupid MAL looks right now.

lmfao wow
i just googled this Tohsaka thing

That's just assinine.
ABigChungusJul 20, 2015 6:31 PM
Jul 20, 2015 6:45 PM
Mahou☆Shoujo

Apr 2011
VegitaFajita said:
The rules of what?

Can't you read at all? You were told more than 10 times already that MAL uses Hepburn romanization. Nobody gives a shit that "Goku" is more popular version than "Gokuu"

ū = uu

You can also check out http://jisho.org/search/%E7%A9%BA%20%23kanji
空 【クウ】 , where クウ = kuu

/thread
Jul 20, 2015 10:12 PM

Oct 2008
Yea can you read that I'm saying using that is stupid?

ANN doesn't use that stupid shit.
Jul 21, 2015 1:18 AM

Apr 2013
Amarantos said:
Paulo27 said:

There should be an alternative names thing, like how there's alternative titles for anime and manga.

Exactly. That's the only proper suggestion in this thread, everything else was complete waste of time.
We've got one selfish guy who wants his favourite character to be written the way he wants even if this condractite the way 100k+ other stuff in the database is romanized, and an extremist who still ask for kunrei shiki on a western board after all this time, I think that one actually want to kill MAL btw. Move everything to kunreishiki and everyone will go away for sure.

ANN doesn't use that stupid shit.

ANN isn't a proper database. It's a news site before anything else, hence the name. Get over with it.

I think Naruto should be spelled Naruuto because it sounds that way.

That would be incorrect spelling. There is no romanization standard that gives a second u there.
You don't even understand anything that was explained in this thread, it seems.
ZefyrisJul 21, 2015 1:22 AM
Jul 21, 2015 1:35 AM

Oct 2009
VegitaFajita said:
Yea can you read that I'm saying using that is stupid?

So you are saying that Hepburn is stupid?
Jul 21, 2015 1:40 AM

Apr 2012
Also there's a transcription error in your signature too, it should be Haadogei, not Hadogay. His English name is Hard Gay.
Jul 21, 2015 3:54 AM

Oct 2008
All I hear is one corner of the internet justifying it's stupidity of being the only place on the internet that's confusing people when they look for their favorite characters because some dead guy who gives 0 fucks about this site believes a name should be spelt his way.
Jul 21, 2015 3:56 AM

Mar 2014
VegitaFajita said:
All I hear is one corner of the internet justifying it's stupidity of being the only place on the internet that's confusing people when they look for their favorite characters because some dead guy who gives 0 fucks about this site believes a name should be spelt his way.
Hey! Respect dead people!
Jul 21, 2015 4:07 AM

Jun 2009
Can the mods close this thread and permaban anyone else that makes threads like these? Thanks.
Jul 21, 2015 4:25 AM

Oct 2009
VegitaFajita said:

Or do you mean the guidelines themselves are stupid?
Jul 21, 2015 5:13 AM

Oct 2014
Tyestor said:
Can the mods close this thread and permaban anyone else that makes threads like these? Thanks.

you can report the thread you know
Jul 21, 2015 6:05 AM

Apr 2013
VegitaFajita said:

Well, everything was explained to you properly. If you want to keep asking for something that the admin will never do, by all means do so. Well except if the mod close the thread or something, but that's not my problem any more anyway.
Have fun.
Jul 21, 2015 6:19 PM

Oct 2008
Everyone is clearly missing the point.

Why does MAL have to be the one place to spell characters this way.

It's dumb.
You cannot deny that.

That's the only point I'm trying to make - and it's the most valid point in this entire thread.

By having this Gokuu and Toosaka crap... MAL is the only place where such search terms come up as valid results on Google.
Meanwhile every other subsequent result is spelled properly.

How is this not raising any red flags?

The brilliant part is no one is denying my allegations of this being stupid.
Jul 21, 2015 6:20 PM

Oct 2008
Tyestor said:

That's not how forums work. Been on here since 06 I've seen it all.

This is a somewhat new thing that I'm trying to stop.

MAL has already been the bane of hacking, admin lockouts, mass spam, etc.
This is just another negative mark on MAL's reputation.

Huge ass site, but Wikipedia won't allow an article on it because it's a joke for reasons like this.

Duh.
Jul 21, 2015 8:28 PM

Oct 2008
You proved my point.
Those are all garbage Google results.

Now search the proper spelling and tell me how many results you get lmfao.

Goku - 26,200,000 results

lmfao i almost shit myself laughing just now

http://i.imgur.com/K6fXIlU.png

Oh

and i guess bandai namco is wrong (whom i work for) in spelling his name "Goku" since the dawn of DB games.
ABigChungusJul 21, 2015 8:33 PM
Jul 21, 2015 8:32 PM

Oct 2008
Imma have my buddy who's got the full Japanese pc setup and knows the language completely make a 2ch post about this.

spotlight is on you MAL.
Jul 22, 2015 1:38 AM

Apr 2012
VegitaFajita said:
and i guess bandai namco is wrong (whom i work for) in spelling his name "Goku" since the dawn of DB games.
Actually this is funny because the Japanese have proven a million times they have no idea how to transcribe their own language properly.

To put things simply, the "Goku" you seem to have been raised with is an English ADAPTATION, a simplification for the average English speaker who would be too phazed by the correct transcription. Which is why you might see it everywhere, but it doesn't make it any less wrong.

But here, on MAL, a site whose purpose is to be a database, the objective is to have the correct transcription from the original Japanese which is Gokuu. And you've been told this repeatedly, not sure what is so hard to understand tbh.
EratiKJul 22, 2015 1:41 AM
Jul 22, 2015 2:18 AM

Oct 2008
Exactly.

If its a database, do it the right way. Not the wrong way.

This site is an english adaptation, is it not?
SO

I dare MAL - if you get Dragon Ball Super streaming rights, I dare you to sub his name as Gokuu.

Then you will learn the true meaning behind my words.
Then my hostility towards this bullshit will make sense, because it's not going to be one person, its gonna be a fuck ton of people complaining.
Jul 23, 2015 12:05 AM

Jan 2011
Locked. The case has been made, and answers have been given. This has become simply a repetition of positions.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Character Picture move Request

Yunan13 - Yesterday

0 by Yunan13 »»
Yesterday, 6:47 AM

Sticky: » Character & People DB - Recent Merges/Removals ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kuroshiroi - Dec 6, 2009

1402 by JohnnyNumbuh28 »»
May 1, 3:14 AM

» Norio Wakamoto did narration for Kyuuketsuki Sugu Shinu 2

ryu2k2 - Apr 21

0 by ryu2k2 »»
Apr 21, 6:17 AM

» Tatsunoko Production profile pic disappeared?

EdgyEcchiSenpai - Apr 17

1 by Jhiday »»
Apr 18, 1:45 AM

» Character Picture Move Request

SimpleXtra - Apr 17

0 by SimpleXtra »»
Apr 17, 3:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.