Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 21, 2015 4:39 PM

Mar 2015
ヽ( ´∇`)ノ[color=gold]✇[/color][size=260]✇[/size]Movie Time!!!!![/size][color=gold]✇[/color][size=200]✇[/size]ヽ(´∇` )ノ

__

\( ´∇` )/ _____ \( ´∇` )/_____ \( ´∇` )/[/size]

Hey all and welcome to my movie recommendations! Each week I'll watch an anime movie that most members don't have on their MAL's and give everyone my review. Feel free to recommend your own and post any and all comments!
Happy watching ( ゚Д゚)b

ヽ( ´∇`)ノ[color=gold]✇[/color][size=260]✇[/size]~~5/21/15~~[/size][color=gold]✇[/color][size=200]✇[/size]ヽ(´∇` )ノ

The Garden of Words (2001)
Directed by: Makoto Shinkai
Runtime: 46 Minutes
Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, Psychological

Synopsis: We have met, for each of us to walk forward.

Takao, who is training to become a shoemaker, skipped school and is sketching shoes in a Japanese-style garden. He meets a mysterious woman, Yukino, who is older than him. Then, without arranging the times, the two start to see each other again and again, but only on rainy days. They deepen their relationship and open up to each other. But the end of the rainy season soon approaches...

The first thing that stands out about this movie is how beautiful it is. Not only in the stunning animation, but also in it's cinematic framing. Director Makoto Shinkai (5 Centimeters Per Second, Children Who Chase Lost Voices) always puts great importance on creating atmosphere. Combined with a very nice soundtrack and amazing sound design, you really lose yourself while watching.

To me, this is a story about two people who find each other at a time when both are at a crossroads. They need each other in order to move on in their lives, but while their meeting is that of happenstance, unforeseen circumstances make their relationship complicated to say the least. I'll be the first to admit that I tend to watch more adventure/horror anime and might not give a movie like this a chance, but I was really impressed by how charmed I was while watching. Also the psychological genre plays a major part in defining these characters and their actions, which is a great catalyst for the mature subject.

[i]"We're human, after all. We've all got our little quirks."
- Yukari Yukino
[/i]

Overall: 8/10

Happy Watching! ( ゚Д゚)b
ScantmanSpecialMay 23, 2015 11:25 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 23, 2015 6:42 PM

Mar 2015
ヽ( ´∇`)ノ[color=gold]✇[/color][size=260]✇[/size]Movie Time!!!!![/size][color=gold]✇[/color][size=200]✇[/size]ヽ(´∇` )ノ

__

Well... the baseball game I was watching is in rain delay :'( but that means I had time to work on another movie recommendation! I watched this one a few weeks back but thought it was worth mentioning.
Happy watching ( ゚Д゚)b

ヽ( ´∇`)ノ[color=gold]✇[/color][size=260]✇[/size]~~5/23/15~~[/size][color=gold]✇[/color][size=200]✇[/size]ヽ(´∇` )ノ

Millennium Actress (2001)
Directed by: Satoshi Kon
Runtime: 1 Hour 27 Minutes
Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, History, Romance

Synopsis: When Studio Gin'ei commissions filmmaker Gen'ya Tachibana to make a documentary in commemoration of its 70th anniversary, he travels to a secluded mountain lodge to interview the idol of his youth, the enigmatic Chiyoko Fujiwara, who was the studio's leading lady from the 1930s until the 1960s. As Chiyoko reminisces about her life, Tachibana and his cameraman suddenly find themselves on a rich and dazzling journey through time. Chiyoko's films and personal memories intertwine with present events and stretch the boundaries of reality.

This movie tells the story of a retired Japanese actresses life and her journey to find someone from her past. It begins in present time with a documentary filmmaker who tracks her down for a rare interview, but also returns to her something very deer to her… an item that's the link to unlocking the true motivations behind her need to leave town in search of stardom.

As she begins to unravel her life's tale to the filmmakers, the filmmakers become so engulfed by her storytelling that they are transported to the world of her timeline and relive each moment as if they were experiencing them for themselves. It's an incredibly interesting concept and unique way to tell this story from a fly-on-the-wall perspective. Inserting these clumsy, over-emotional filmmakers leads to many humorous scenes of them, often getting caught up in the moment and chasing after the main character in order to document her. At it's core, it's a very touching and inspiring story that shows how far one will go and how much one will endure for just the chance to find what (and who) they're looking for.

The animation looks great and has a classic feel to it, which is complemented by a muted color pallet. Director Satoshi Kon (Perfect Blue, Paprika) has a knack for movies featuring complex lead women characters, and Chiyoko Fujiwara doesn't fall short of his standards. Soundtrack and sound design are OK, but really the story and style are just so well done and more than enough to keep you engaged throughout.

[i]"Perhaps I won't (find him). Maybe it doesn't matter anyway. Because after all it's the chase that I really love."
- Chiyoko Fujiwara
[/i]

Overall: 7/10

Happy Watching! ( ゚Д゚)b
ScantmanSpecialMay 23, 2015 10:22 PM
May 24, 2015 7:14 AM

Jan 2015
Finished The Garden of Words. It was short and good. Thanks for the recommendation Scant! I'll try 2nd one soon
May 28, 2015 2:42 AM

Mar 2015

__

While I wait out my insomnium... if that's even possible, I think i'll post a new movie recommendation!
Happy watching ( ゚Д゚)b

ヽ( ´∇`)ノ[color=gold]✇[/color][size=260]✇[/size]~~5/28/15~~[/size][color=gold]✇[/color][size=200]✇[/size]ヽ(´∇` )ノ

Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (2010)
Directed by: Susumu Kudou
Runtime: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi

Synopsis: Due to the high crime rate in Mardock, a new law called "Scramble 09" has given police carte blanche to take extreme and otherwise illegal measures to revive crime witnesses.

This is the first of a three part series of movies that tells the story of a woman with a troubled past who falls victim to a serial killer, but through technology is brought back to life to not only serve as a witness to the crime, but to bring sweet cyborg justice to her murderer.

While characters often question morality and whether or not the lives they lead are truly worth living, reincarnation is a major component in the story that puts life, particularly for the protagonist, in a new light that creates purpose. These and many other themes have parallels with humanity's desire to find meaning in their existence. I was not expecting and pleasantly surprised by the fact this movie dove into such heavy subject matters while delivering great action (quality over quantity) and stunning animation. I left this one immediately wanting to finish the series!

[i]"A vessel meant to be filled with glory, that's me."
- Shell
[/i]

Happy Watching! ( ゚Д゚)b
Jun 13, 2015 1:10 PM

Mar 2015

__

Hey all! It seems like forever ago that I posted last, but I finally have a new recommendation for you guys!!!
Happy watching ( ゚Д゚)b

ヽ( ´∇`)ノ[color=gold]✇[/color][size=260]✇[/size]~~6/13/15~~[/size][color=gold]✇[/color][size=200]✇[/size]ヽ(´∇` )ノ

Tekkon Kinkreet (2006)
Directed by: Michael Arias
Runtime: 1 Hour 51 Minutes
Action, Adventure, Supernatural, Psychological

Synopsis: Black and White are two orphans who roam the streets of Treasure Town, beating down any thug or yakuza who gets in their way. When mysterious foreign entrepreneurs appear with the intention of tearing down Treasure Town and replacing it with an amusement park, Black and White face their greatest adversaries yet.

This film features rich animation that is very different from the majority of animes I've watched, and it immediately brings character and heart to the movie without knowing any other details. It's unique and personal art style is showcased when the brothers slip away from reality and the audience is brought into their world… whether it stems from happiness (White) or violence (Black).

What I loved about this movie was how it perfectly encapsulates the perspective of childhood innocence while maintaining the mature world that Black and White live in. This aspect is what truly makes this story so impacting because it presents such a truthful relationship between these two brothers while being immersed in a world of corruption and tragedy. As much of a downer as this sounds, the fun-factor is turned up to 10 throughout with great fight scenes and comedic moments… so don't go in thinking it's all serious business. When everything is brought together, you have one incredible watch.

[i]"No time for tears, no time for regrets. Think like that and the city will kill you."
- Jiccha
[/i]

Overall: 9/10

Happy Watching! ( ゚Д゚)b
Jun 22, 2015 12:09 AM

Mar 2015

__

Hey all! It's that time again. Grab some popcorn and buckle up for this adrenaline-fueled flick!
Happy watching ( ゚Д゚)b

ヽ( ´∇`)ノ[color=gold]✇[/color][size=260]✇[/size]~~6/21/15~~[/size][color=gold]✇[/color][size=200]✇[/size]ヽ(´∇` )ノ

Redline (2009)
Directed by: Takeshi Koike
Runtime: 1 Hour 42 Minutes
Action, Cars, Sci-Fi, Sports

Synopsis: Redline is about the biggest and most deadly racing tournament in the universe. Only held once every five years, everyone wants to stake their claim to fame, including JP, a reckless dare-devil driver oblivious to speed limits with his ultra-customized car.

Some might question whether a movie with genres like Cars and Sports can offer them anything, but they are merely the vehicle (pun completely intended) to achieve a heartfelt stylistic masterpiece. Redline has plenty of attitude to go around, whether it's the bold animation style, it's techno-centric soundtrack, or it's unabashed characterization that is pure entertainment.

While lacking in any development of the movie's supporting cast, they go through the most character change. There is a charming relationship that blooms and a friend who struggles with the choice of betrayal. Opposing forces attempt to change the course of events to suit their agendas, but our main character JP's motivation boils doing to one of purity… he wants to win.

[i]"Someone's having doubts, huh? Hell, I was just trying to keep this thing interesting. You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a damn thing about racing!"
- JP
[/i]

Happy Watching! ( ゚Д゚)b
ScantmanSpecialJun 23, 2015 5:40 PM
Jun 28, 2015 11:24 PM

Mar 2015

__

Hey all! Looking to break to routine and watching something a little different? Then you'll want to check out this week's movie recommendation!
Happy watching ( ゚Д゚)b

ヽ( ´∇`)ノ[color=gold]✇[/color][size=260]✇[/size]~~6/28/15~~[/size][color=gold]✇[/color][size=200]✇[/size]ヽ(´∇` )ノ

Mind Game (2004)
Directed by: Masaaki Yuasa
Runtime: 1 Hour 44 Minutes
Adventure, Comedy, Dementia, Romance, Psychological

Synopsis: Nishi has always loved Myon since they were little. And now as adults, he wants to pursue his dream of becoming a manga artist and marrying his childhood sweetheart.

This was truly one of the most unique viewing experiences I've had, anime or not. Director Masaaki Yuasa utilizes the experimental filmmaking style to uniquely showcase the many aspects of humanity, particularly young love and death. Often juxtaposing various imagery and mixing animation with live action, this movie experience is nothing short of incredibly thought-provoking, and really quite fun throughout even with the long runtime at just under 2 hours. This one is definitely worth checking out.

[i]"Fear takes the shape we're willing to give it."
- Nishi
[/i]

Happy Watching! ( ゚Д゚)b
Jul 15, 2015 1:36 AM

Mar 2015

__

Hey all! Need a little more nature vs. nurture in your life? Then look no further than this weeks recommendation!
Happy watching ( ゚Д゚)b

ヽ( ´∇`)ノ[color=gold]✇[/color][size=260]✇[/size]~~7/15/15~~[/size][color=gold]✇[/color][size=200]✇[/size]ヽ(´∇` )ノ

Asura (2012)
Directed by: Keiichi Satou
Runtime: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Drama, Historical

Synopsis: Asura is an unrelentingly dark drama that follows the struggles of a young boy who did whatever it took to survive during a time of war and famine in medieval Japan.

This is a movie that features the Nature Versus Nurture debate. Are some people born as beasts or are they simply the product of their environment? This film channels this theme beautifully through our main character's journey from being on his own in the depths of humanity filled with war, famine and brutality to being taken in by a young woman and given a chance at some kind of life. Asura often struggles to discover what kind of person he is, if even one at all. He is often confronted with situations that test him, which result in very heartfelt moments and are where this movie truly shines.

Some people might be turned off by the 3D animation style, but it really services the gritty, famined look that people often have and elevates its realism. That combined with stunning 2D landscapes, a rich color palette and an an amazing attention to detail, this is one of the few animes that's overall look left me in awe.

[i]"Taking away life that was born and taking away life after life. People still keep on living. Burdened with crime. Even so, trying to live as much as there is life. That is why this world is so beautiful."
- Houshi
[/i]

Happy Watching! ( ゚Д゚)b
ScantmanSpecialJul 15, 2015 1:42 AM
Jul 27, 2015 11:15 PM

Mar 2015

__

Hey all! If you're looking to turn your life completely upside down, then you'll want to check out this weeks recommendation!
Happy watching ( ゚Д゚)b

ヽ( ´∇`)ノ[color=gold]✇[/color][size=260]✇[/size]~~7/27/15~~[/size][color=gold]✇[/color][size=200]✇[/size]ヽ(´∇` )ノ

Patema Inverted (2013)
Directed by: Yasuhiro Yoshiura
Runtime: 1 Hour 39 Minutes
Sci-Fi, Seinen

Synopsis: Patema lives in an underground world of tunnels, the long-abandoned ruins of a giant industrial complex. Though she is a princess, she is held back by the rules imposed by the elders of her clan.

It's really amazing how this movie is capable of effectively delivering so much information within the first few minutes without the use of exposition. Too often will you see stories forced to explain to the audience early through narration and dialogue not only what the setting is, but who the characters are. It only takes 5 minutes to achieve this through action, which immediately connects you to the MC's world and what motivates her. A young princess who desires to escape her cramp underworld confines and explore a vast world unknown to her and her society. To Patema, all she knows of the outside world is and old photo given to her as a young girl. The supporting cast around her is well defined and offer a lot of substance to an already rich, well-crafted piece. Even the title is well though out and is represented in the movie through symbolism and physicality. How the word 'inverted' comes into play is an intriguing reveal to look forward to.

[i]"Can you imagine the world Patema sees. The inverted Patema is right now in an uncertain place, scared and worried. That's why I have no choice but to hold on!"
- Eiji
[/i]

Happy Watching! ( ゚Д゚)b
ScantmanSpecialJul 27, 2015 11:19 PM
Aug 21, 2015 3:41 PM

Mar 2015

__

Work has been dominating my life lately -_- but a much deserved off day is upon me, which means it's time to revive this thread with another movie recommendation!!!
Happy watching ( ゚Д゚)b

ヽ( ´∇`)ノ[color=gold]✇[/color][size=260]✇[/size]~~8/21/15~~[/size][color=gold]✇[/color][size=200]✇[/size]ヽ(´∇` )ノ

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (1998)
Directed by: Hiroyuki Okiura
Runtime: 1 Hour 42 Minutes
Drama, Romance, Military, Police, Psychological

Synopsis: The film follows Kazuki Fuse, a member of a special police unit during the alternate history 1950s Japanese riots.

In an alternate post WWII where Germany has conquered Japan, two groups evolve from the blank slate that the devastation has created. One is called Special Unit, which serves the interests of the occupying government but operates independently and often too reckless. The other are the rebellions who want stop the endless cycle of violence and opression to their people.

The story begins from the perspective of a young girl who fights for the rebellion. It's apparent from the beginning that she is strong enough to withstand the constant turmoil surrounding her. She willingly thrusts herself into dangerous situations with unwavering eyes normally reserved for veteran soldiers. After a tragic interaction with a Special Unit squad, the film shifts to the soldier who muraculously survives. The story moves quite a bit and is very well crafted, so I won't reveal too much.

Much like it's siblings Akira and Ghost In The Shell, the animation style is very much based in realism, which brings a level of believability that is quite impactful. The Special Unit soldiers look incredibly badass when sporting their full gear and masks and get trigger happy. Overall this is a very well crafted film that has everything working for it.

[i]"Fear makes the wolf bigger than he really is"
- Kazuki Fuse
[/i]

Happy Watching! ( ゚Д゚)b
Sep 12, 2015 5:14 PM

Mar 2015

__

With space operas on my brain lately, I've turned to the final frontier for my latest movie recommendation!!
Happy watching ( ゚Д゚)b

ヽ( ´∇`)ノ[color=gold]✇[/color][size=260]✇[/size]~~9/12/15~~[/size][color=gold]✇[/color][size=200]✇[/size]ヽ(´∇` )ノ

Uchu Senkan Yamato 2199: Hoshi-Meguru Hakobune (2014)
Directed by: Makoto Bessho
Runtime: 1 Hour 51 Minutes
Action, Drama, Sci-Fi, Space, Military

Synopsis: The eponymous spaceship Yamato makes its way back to Earth after a long voyage to the planet Iscandar.

This film is a sequel to the original 1974 series, which also was remade into a 26 episode OVA in 2012. The one story point to know from those series' is that Earth was bombarded with meteors and it became inhabitable to humans, which has sent them on a journey to an alien planet to retrieve a means to remedy their home world.

This movie does an excellent job of building relationships between characters, even though these characters are already defined from the series. Scenes such as an unanounced visit from a wet behind the ears cadet to a father-figure admiral and a quiet moment between two young cadets watching a hologram together play a vital role. These seemingly bland moments pay dividends when the actions begins to unfold. You really become attached to each personality, especially when the ship is under distress and people's lives are taken in an instant. You feel as if you've lost someone you've grown to care for… and that is a rare feat for any story. This sentiment is amplified because of their circumstances; a relatively small society of people who depend on each other to survive in the depths of space.

The atmosphere is set up very nicely with dark color pallets and a soundtrack most consisting of eerie space sounds and war marches. The battles offer plenty of visual eye candy, especially the lasers :D Sci-Fi geeks will rejoice in this energized space opera.

[i]"Even if it's uncertain, you can't win some wars without placing a bet."
- Juuzo Okita
[/i]

Happy Watching! ( ゚Д゚)b
Nov 19, 2015 9:09 AM
Jul 2018
Looks Evangelion.
Nov 19, 2015 3:35 PM

Mar 2015
I need more movies to recommend that everyone hasn't seen already :/
Nov 19, 2015 4:15 PM

Aug 2015
I liked almost all the movies you put up... But this is the best one.

[size=140] Kyoukai no Kanata: Mirai Hen

Best anime movie out there! Although it is a sequel to a TV series, so you might not understand everything if you haven't watched the TV series. BUT IT IS STILL AWESOME!!
I am the scales of justice, conductor of the choir of death!

Nov 19, 2015 5:39 PM

Jan 2015
http://myanimelist.net/anime/12355/Ookami_Kodomo_no_Ame_to_Yuki

It's already quite popular with an official localization, but just in case for the peeps living under rocks.
Nov 19, 2015 6:02 PM

Mar 2015
Thank you guys for the recommendations! Feel free to add more to this thread since it was my original intention for members to add their own recs.

Sekai, I'm curious which of my recommendations you didn't like? ^^
Nov 19, 2015 6:39 PM

Aug 2015
ScantmanSpecial said:
Thank you guys for the recommendations! Feel free to add more to this thread since it was my original intention for members to add their own recs.

Sekai, I'm curious which of my recommendations you didn't like? ^^

Tekkon kinkreet, Patema inverted, and red line

Nov 19, 2015 6:41 PM
Jul 2018
Those are all thug movies you named.
Nov 19, 2015 8:05 PM

Mar 2015
I can understand with those movies. Tekkon Kinkreet is probably my favorite out of my recs ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 20, 2015 3:19 PM

Aug 2015
It was totally epic, especially that scene where Minotaur makes his debut in the entertainment park.

Nov 20, 2015 6:26 PM

Dec 2014
I definitely recommend the movie Expelled from Paradise. I enjoyed it. Not sure if it has already been recommended or if you have seen it already. You can find it on Netflix at the moment though.
Nov 21, 2015 11:08 AM

Oct 2015
I would recommend watching the Kara no Kyoukai movies if you haven't.
˝Doge, dementia comrade, zombie, mein and weed expert.˝
Nov 21, 2015 12:08 PM

Sep 2015
Please review more movies from Makoto sensei. gladly appreciate it. :D
Dec 10, 2015 10:54 PM

Mar 2015

__

Back from the dead... it's time for turn this up to 11 with another movie recommendation!!
Happy watching ( ゚Д゚)b

ヽ( ´∇`)ノ[color=gold]✇[/color][size=260]✇[/size]~~12/9/15~~[/size][color=gold]✇[/color][size=200]✇[/size]ヽ(´∇` )ノ

Appleseed (2004)
Directed by: Shinji Aramaki
Runtime: 1 Hour 45 Minutes
Action, Drama, Mecha, Military, Police, Sci-Fi, Shounen

Synopsis: Growing out of the chaos of a global war, the city of Utopia is populated by humans and bioroids (artificial humans).

Many anime lovers out there would never give this movie a proper chance because of one thing… the animation style. While I will admit that the CG at moments looks like a step above Final Fantasy 7 cut scenes, it’s visual shortcomings actually act as as strength, which might sound strange at first. Just as the comic book hero Daredevil, who’s blindness is compensated for by his other senses becoming enhanced, so do the other elements of this film. Without the benefit eye candy, more attention is given to other areas, such as frame composition, musical score, story arcs, and it’s overall tone. In a way, the CG led the filmmakers down a much more cinematic route and the movie is much better for it.

As we continue living through the technological age, humans grow more dependent on that technology to not only assist us in our daily lives, but protect us as well. This film explores the idea that people have given up personal freedom for the illusion of security in the form of a Utopia that is run by highly advanced artificial humans. These humanoids view themselves as protectors of mankind, which is inherently flawed from experiencing emotions. While they believe their constant presence in this Utopia that is made up of half humans, half bioroids, is in the best interest of society, they only truly accomplish placing mankind in a prison to slowly perish. These parallels to the real world makes this cyberpunk action flick not only relatable, but also relevant.

[i]"Humanity is a strange creature, so willing to cage itself."
- Athena Areios
[/i]

Happy Watching! ( ゚Д゚)b
ScantmanSpecialDec 10, 2015 10:59 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Which do you Prefer? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dangodonald - Oct 13, 2015

576 by Kunii »»
Jan 27, 2018 3:02 PM

» [Game]♜ The Unlucky Fifth ♜ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Dec 19, 2015

457 by Kunii »»
Aug 4, 2017 1:46 PM

» [Game]♜ Watch it or Drop it ♜ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Dec 19, 2015

271 by Kunii »»
Feb 27, 2017 5:29 PM

» [Game] ♜ Anime Shiritori ♜ ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Oct 3, 2015

115 by Kunii »»
Feb 15, 2017 2:57 PM

» [Special Event] NARUTO MARATHON is live!!!

ScantmanSpecial - Nov 26, 2016

0 by ScantmanSpecial »»
Nov 26, 2016 7:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.