Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 4, 2015 3:24 PM
Sep 2014
So from what I can gather from the evidence presented could the analogy of the chess game "as far as our little group is concerned the King isn't so important, to everyone here the only thing that really matters is the Queen.", could that be referring to Haruhi as the Queen considering she seems to hold even more power than the Data Integration Thought Entity and is the subject of attention of the SOS Brigade's members. As for the King piece there are instances such as in the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (the movie) showing that Kyon is the last remaining being from the old world (as he is the only one able to recollect the old world): This could be portraying Kyon as the King piece as such, as although he may not seem to hold much (as if any) power in the show is seems as though as long as he exists then reality holds up like in the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya, and in chess it is possible to still be playing with one piece as long as it is the King.
Well that's just my theory anyway.
Apart from the idea that Kyon is this sort of powerless God set up in a weird reversed situation, he could be the third of the supernatural beings that Haruhi mentioned: Sliders. Humans who can jump between different dimensions are considered as such, and Kyon may be just that considering all these different dimensions he has visited such as the closed space, the new world with Haruhi or the world where she disappeared...
Feb 1, 2016 7:22 AM

Jan 2014
I think this is probably the best metaphor for their relation. Kyon is the centre piece, the most important person in the brigade, and the one who ultimately calls the shots (because he controls Haruhi). However, he is strategically weak: he has no power on his own, he is vulnerable, and if he is taken out the game is lost. Haruhi is "but" a Queen, but she has all the power, and is the one loved by all the players.

Edit:

Might I add to that that:

- Asahina would be a knight, being able to make odd leaps over obstacles
- Koizumi is a bishop or a tower, guarding the lines, supporting the others, defending
- Nagato is a pawn, being used by the others both at the beginning and the end, moving in a straight line (no will of her own), catching only what enemy lands within her reach, untill she reaches the other side of the board and transforms
LaionidasFeb 1, 2016 7:28 AM
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Movie Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Feb 5, 2010

1000 by MorphoX »»
Mar 8, 6:34 AM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.