Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 15, 2014 2:45 PM
Jun 2014
Here you have list of what most of manga artists use to work traditionally or digitally with a little description of them.
I'll just describe the items I've used before, if you have tried any item not reviewed or you know of another one not mentioned in the post, just tell me and I'll add the information you give to the main post.

PAPER

Obviously, if you work traditionally, you need paper to make you drawings. You can use any paper you have, but to get the most out of your manga artwork, you'd like to use manga paper.

Deleter manga paper: It's sold in 40 sheets packs, and you can get it in B4 or A4 size, with or without blue borders and in 110 grs or 135 grs. A really good paper for works with ink and markers.
Maxon manga paper: It's sold in 40 sheets packs, and you can get it in B4 or A4 size and in 110 grs or 135 grs, only avaible with blue borders. Actually there's no difference in quality between those brands.
How to use it: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Manuscript-and-Comic-Paper-101-192734213

PENCIL
You can use any pencil/mechanichal pencil you have or you feel comfortable with.

RUBBER(ERASER) & SHARPENNER
I think it's not really necessary to say you need them, but I'm saying it anyway. And maybe you would like to use a feather duster.

NIBS & PEN NIB HOLDERS

Actually, for this, any brand will work the same: Tachikawa, Nikko, Zebra or Deleter. But you'd like to have a look at the prices, Tachikawa is the cheapest(I use Tachikawa) and Deleter the most expensive.

Maru: It's a nib to make thin lines, normally used to draw hair and backgrouds.
Saji/Kabura & G: Both nibs are to make thicker lines than maru, for foreground characters, But yo need to try both of them and decide wich one fits you best.
Holders: As I said, the brand doesn't matter, buy the cheapest one. You can get thin holders that only work for maru nibs, thick ones that works for every nib or even double to save time changing the tool you're using while drawing.

INK

If you don't have ink, you cannot use your nibs, of course!

Deleter black ink: It's a expensive ink and has an slightly glossy efect. It's not water resistant but it's perfect to work with when using alcohol based markers(like Copics).
Pilot document ink: A very good ink, not glossy at all. It's not water o alcohol markers resistant, but you can get the water resistant pilot ink at the same price to work with watercolors.
Kuretake black ink: My favourite ink, cheaper than any other, water resistant and alcohol markers resistant, just perfect! Warning: Don't get confused, Kuretake works two different black inks, ''Black Ink'' and ''Sumi Ink''. Black is darker than Sumi, I prefere to use Sumi Ink to do colored works.
And for last, I haven't tried Maxon or Nicker ink, so I don't know about them.

WHITE INK

White ink is used to make shiny effects and correct little mistakes.

Copic opaque white ink: Even if it's a very good one, it's ridiculously expensive!
Kuretake white ink: A very good white ink, and like Kuretake black ink, it resist water and alchohol markers.
I don't know about the others.

FINELINERS/MULTILINERS

These markers are not absolutelly necessary to make manga, but they very helpful some times.

Copics Multiliners: They have a lot of thicknesses avaible and they resist water and alcohol markers. But they are expensive.
Faber Castle Pitt Artist Pen: I use these ones because I cannot afford Copics. They don't have so many thicknesses avaible as Copics and they tend to bleed a little when using alcohol markers. But they are water resistant.

BRUSH PEN

I have tried both of these, they cost about the same and have same quality.

BIG FAT BLACK MARKERS

Just the cheapest black marker you can get, it's only to do big black zone, there's no sense in buying an expensive marker for that.

RULERS, CURVES & TEMPLATES

You need rulers to make the pannel and some backgrounds and the curves and templates may be very helpful too.

SCREENTONES

Those shading effects you can see in black and white manga are made with screentones.

I'm including a link to download some basic digital screentones made by me: (coming soon)

ACCESORIES FOR SCREENTONES

To get the most out of your screentones you'll probably need some of that.

Here you have a tutorial about how to use all these things: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Traditional-Screentoning-129577449

COLOR MARKERS

Now, you cannot use any marker to color your manga artwork, you need some quality markers, most of them work with alcohol based pigment.

Copic Sketch/Ciao: These ones are the best and most reccomended, but they are expensive and very difficult to find if you live in Europe.
Letraset Promarker/Flexmarkers: These are almost as good as Copics, cheaper and easier to find.

DIGITAL ART PROGRAMS

If you work partially or completelly with digital media, you need some digital tools.

First I'm talking about the two ones which are the best programs, at lest for me, sadly none of them is free.
Photoshop: It's a program originally designed to retouch photographs, but nowadays it has a lot of tools to draw in any style and create artworks with an amazing quality.
Clip Studio Paint: This program is simply outstanding, it has a very simple and intuitive interface, has a lot of features and a lot of tools specially designed for manga works.
Now, it's turn for the open source programs you can get completelly for free on internet.
GIMP: It has almost as many features as Photoshop, it's a very good alternative if you don't want to spend money.
Paint Tool SAI: It a good program for drawing, but it has not so many effects and image settings as Photoshop or GIMP.

REFERENCE BOOKS

If you think about it, it's impossible that every manga artist draw every background in manga serie just from memory and imagination. They use to have background reference books.
(picture coming soon)

I'll soon post links to online shops where you can get all this items, if you know any, please send me the link by private message, thanks.
This post is still incomplete, I'll finish it as soon as I can.
YamamotoSenseiSep 15, 2014 2:56 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 17, 2014 9:09 AM
Aug 2014
Can anyone tell me which pen and ink will be cheapest and good?
Oct 17, 2014 11:27 AM
Jun 2014
ShojoukaChan said:

As I said in the post, for me the best ink is ''Kuretake Black Ink'', it's about the same price as the other but it has 60ml intead of 30ml, so it's actually a lot cheaper.
And for the pen, I guess you mean nibs, any brand is the same quality, but ''Tachikawa'' are the cheapest ones. Although, if it's the first time you buy nibs, you need to buy everyone of them(Maru, Saji & G) in order to check how they work and which one you like best.
Oct 17, 2014 8:14 PM

Aug 2014
I wish... I had.... The money..... TT^TT
To become a Mangaka is my ultimate dream. And I will die trying.
Oct 21, 2014 10:49 AM
Mar 2014
Wow nice work! I wish I found this some months ago before I got my tools!
Oct 21, 2014 1:10 PM
Aug 2014
YamamotoSensei said:
ShojoukaChan said:

As I said in the post, for me the best ink is ''Kuretake Black Ink'', it's about the same price as the other but it has 60ml intead of 30ml, so it's actually a lot cheaper.
And for the pen, I guess you mean nibs, any brand is the same quality, but ''Tachikawa'' are the cheapest ones. Although, if it's the first time you buy nibs, you need to buy everyone of them(Maru, Saji & G) in order to check how they work and which one you like best.
Thanks for the information sensei....but it seems I can't afford to buy all the nibs along with ink....can anyone suggest which nib is best for beginner and for drawing shoujo?
Oct 30, 2014 11:23 PM
Oct 2014
WOW this is really a bundle of useful knowledge, that for the information.
Oct 31, 2014 10:31 AM

May 2013
Hey guys! I know this is not really necessary but can be helpful to those who don't have access to manga paper.

It's called Vellum Board Paper. It works nice with fineliners, pencils and brushpens. I haven't tried the actual manga ink tho. Well, it costs around 0.50USD to 0.60USD for every 10 sheets depending on the grammage. I obtained a 220GSM and 200GSM as of now and in long and short bondpaper sizes. I haven't found a A4 size but I suppose there's one available.
I like eating.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Share your work! Be noticed!

YamamotoSensei - Jan 2, 2015

12 by Furikaeru »»
Feb 10, 2020 8:20 AM

» [Manga tutorial] Beginners: How to draw manga faces.

YamamotoSensei - Jul 14, 2014

2 by 159julialee »»
Jan 26, 2017 1:07 AM

» Weekly Hourly Challenge!! Week 6-Chef

YamamotoSensei - Nov 8, 2015

0 by YamamotoSensei »»
Nov 8, 2015 8:24 AM

» weekly Hourly Challenge!! Week 5-Mad Scientist

YamamotoSensei - Oct 31, 2015

2 by Zoushu »»
Nov 6, 2015 2:43 PM

» Weekly Hourly Challenge!! Week 4-Time/Clocks

YamamotoSensei - Oct 24, 2015

6 by YamamotoSensei »»
Oct 31, 2015 3:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.