Forum Settings
Forums

How important is the ending? Beware, spoilers!!!

New
Sep 15, 2014 2:16 PM

Jun 2013
Now, I realize that there must be more threads like this, but since I am not really familiar with rules of MAL I didn't want to bring it up if it was too old. So, just for start off, I want mods to know that if there is another thread like this, please merge it..

Now, lets go back to point. Recently I have had so many things with unfulfilling endings that I started wondering, is ending really that important? Sure, it is obviously important to me, but what about others, and in general. First, even though it is now a bit old, it is still heated debate- ending of game called Mass Effect 3. To cut long story short, in last 10 minutes they brought in new character, made story more complicated instead of giving us closure they left more things with more questions than answers, and furthermore even though 99% of that game was so enjoyable, that last 1% caused me to have mixed feelings. That one percent is enough to weight with 99% of the previously played game...

Next, it was few mangas- Tokyo Ghoul, Strongest Disciple Kenichi and Naruto.
Lets start with Tokyo Ghoul- Ever since Kaneki's transformation in manga, I thought he was badass. Story was consistent and extremely good, fights were awesome. In the end all we get is Kaneki's death by some so called strongest CCG agent, we were introduced with new character and story just ends right there..Now, even though manga is ending I hear there are possible continuations, but even if we do get them I still feel like this ending should be able to stand for itself.

HSDK- Where do I start on this one? Whole last arc was complete disaster. We firstly get characters, which we thought were bad (as antagonists), change sides just because. There is no real explanation, and even though they have been aware of plan, they abandon it in last minute. Secondly, we again get introduced to new character, and the one we thought was bad turned out to actually be good guy. I mean, that is just...Not a proper way for an ending.

Naruto- Naruto has same problem as HSDK and that is introduction of Kaguya. I would be fine if we got anticipated Naruto&Sasuke vs Madara battle. But noooo, we get Kaguya, a background character with no personality at all and she goes down the same way she showed up, instantly. Though Naruto still has one more battle, Kaguya arc has butchered it for me. Conclusion doesn't feel like conclusion at all.

Finally, anime examples. For this, I will chose one of a good and one of a bad kind.
First, lets go with bad- Death Note. Lets face it, after L died it all went to shit. First time around I didn't even watch it after that part. Second time around I told myself to forget about it, and that is why I gave it a 10. It is just so good before that white little shithead...

And, for the end, I save Code Geass R2. Now, Code Geass R1 has a type of ending which is possible for Tokyo Ghoul, so I would contradict myself if I said I like it. But at that point, there was confirmed second season, so I could go with it. Now, R2 itself pales compared to R1. It has a lot of flaws and asspulls, but I seriously don't care about them, because of one simple thing- ending. I love that ending so damn much. It was well executed and it actually did what ending has to do, brought a conclusion to story. Lelouch's goal was world peace, and he achieved it, and the way it was achieved was beautiful.

Now please note that this was all subjective. I do not present this as hard facts, and I know there are anime, manga and game fans which disagree with me. I just wanted to see what others think of and ending in general, and give me their examples as I did.
Dimitrije1606Sep 15, 2014 2:20 PM
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Sep 15, 2014 3:34 PM

Apr 2013
Endings will always determine whether the anime is a 10 or a 9!
"If it’s your wish, I will follow you everywhere
even if your throne crumbles, and your shiny crown turns to rust
even if the bodies pile up endlessly, above the bottomless pile corpses
Beside you as you lie softly down, I will be
until i hear the words “Check Mate” ! -Sebastian (Black Butler)

Sep 15, 2014 3:35 PM

Jun 2014
Ending is big. It ties in the central themes of a story. Though, very rarely does the ending every destroy an anime for me. I can always understand why it ended sadly, or why it ended happily. Was it for shock, or for consolidation?

Sep 15, 2014 3:44 PM

Jul 2012
I think that the ending of an anime is just as important as the begnning because it gives you the last impression of the serie. I really dislike animes that have a weird or dissatisfying ending. It just leaves you with this unpleasent feeling.
Sep 15, 2014 3:46 PM

Dec 2012
To me the ending is worth 1/5th of the rating, by itself, but depending on how catastrophic the damage was it could also effect other things I use to rate like story or characters.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 15, 2014 3:59 PM

Mar 2014
Please, lets not start a debate on how bad Mass Effect 3 was
Sep 15, 2014 4:07 PM

Jun 2014
sullynathan said:
Please, lets not start a debate on how bad Mass Effect 3 was

Ironically your post will probably lead to the discussion.

Sep 15, 2014 4:28 PM

Oct 2007
Yuukixx said:
I think that the ending of an anime is just as important as the begnning because it gives you the last impression of the serie. I really dislike animes that have a weird or dissatisfying ending. It just leaves you with this unpleasent feeling.

Pretty much this.

Unfortunately I often seem to be disappointed with the ending :(
Romance animes with the "undecided" ending, or even worse the wrong pair ending :D
Most of the Deus ex machina endings.
Slice of life type animes with a "random rushed supernatural threat at the end" ending. I realize that most of the time there has to be some kind of grand finale but come on.
Not so often seen in animes, but in movies that rely on suspense, it is extremely annoying to see all that build up thrown away in the last third of the movie (the part where a good horror film turns into "a day at the shooting gallery" montage).

I'm sure there is a lot more I could whine about. Luckily I have learned to accept the fact that there are maybe one or two good endings every five years or so. :P
Sep 15, 2014 9:04 PM

Aug 2014
I find that the Ending is the most critical part of a show for me. When I watch something, and it has a crappy end, I can't help but think that It was a waste of my time in the end. I of course want the whole show to be good, but the end is paramount to me. The exception is if the manga continues from where the anime left off, I can forgive it then, since I can just read it.

To counter the problem, I wait for things to finish airing, then once it's done, read up on the series as a whole, spoil myself for the ending, then if I think it's an ending I can get behind, I will watch it. Spoilers don't bother me, and never have, not even a little. So It's really easy for me to avoid the problem. ( I will read manga is it's being published though, don't know why.)
This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! Its burning grip TELLS ME TO DEFEAT YOU! TAKE THIS! My love, my anger, and ALL MY SORROW! - Domon Kasshu - G Gundam
Sep 15, 2014 9:07 PM

Jul 2014
Obviously if it doesn't end well, I'll end up giving it a 3 or less.
. . .
Sep 15, 2014 9:11 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
endings a pretty important for me, my score will probably drop 1 or 2 if im not satisfied with it (unless its some SOL shit or something, they never have a proper ending)
Sep 15, 2014 9:19 PM

Jan 2010
Important enough that certain endings have changed my perspective for entire shows, for better or worse.
Sep 15, 2014 9:19 PM

Jul 2014
Can a bad/recycled ending take away from the experience as a whole? Absolutely. It can even make you wish you had never experienced said story in the first place.

But can a great ending make up for hours and hours of content that failed to engage you? No, not really. It has to have the whole package.
Sep 15, 2014 9:20 PM

Mar 2014
The more I watch anime, the more I'm starting to expect less from the ending. So it really doesn't bother me too much.
Sep 15, 2014 9:30 PM

Dec 2013
It used to be life and death for me. Now it doesn't matter as long as the ride there was worth it. Still, there's something to be said for an ending that stays true to the themes.
Sep 15, 2014 9:33 PM

Sep 2013
The ending is important but anime don't give a fuck. You have to buy a movie, OVA or 20 volumes of manga if you want an ending.
There's no need for all this tension.
Sep 15, 2014 9:47 PM

Apr 2014
If it's not for the ending, I will rate School days a 6...
Sep 15, 2014 9:48 PM
Jul 2018
Very important for me.
Sep 15, 2014 9:52 PM

Sep 2014
I personally find the final episode of any anime to be the most important. Not only does it provide closure to a series, but it also ties in the plot of all the previous episodes, making the show either incredibly brilliant (i.e code geass R2), or incredibly pointless (i.e guilty crown *shudders*).

In my case leaving the story unfinished tends to fill me with feelings of incompletion (I tend to dislike incomplete stories. Probably why I appreciate Clannad AS so much as opposed to other SOL anime), especially if no continuation has been announced, therefore the ending of the show usually constitutes at least 10-20% of how I personally rate my anime at the end of the day.

Then again, I notice that this applies more to older anime rather than more recent releases. The current trend seems to be to end the entire series on a cliffhanger to make you buy the source material or many many seasons in order to reach a conclusion, which I dislike. Oh well.
Sep 16, 2014 12:41 AM

Jun 2013
So it is very important in general, not just for me. I always thought that I was just being picky, but in the end it turns out that I am not the only one. Thanks, everyone, you answered my question beautifully.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Sep 16, 2014 12:51 AM

Dec 2012
In most cases I usually care more about the journey to that ending and the conclusion just serves as a way to wrap it up with no significant changes to my views on what happened to get there. There are instances, however, when it can make or break a series. I'd consider Monster a positive example of a crucial ending and Akuma no Riddle a perfect example of how to ruin everything in less than 7 minutes.
Sep 16, 2014 12:53 AM

Jun 2014
Soul eaters ending made the anime go from a 8-possible 9 to a 6. Same with FMA (not brotherhood), it was a great anime but the ending although wasnt horrible really killed alot of the anime for me. It was still great though, but one of the main reasons I preferred brotherhood. The ending makes all the difference.

EDIT: It doesnt always have to be a happy ending, but having a half-assed ending can really destroy an anime for me and make me regret that I spent countless hours watching it for such a shit conclusion. People watch anime (or any show) because they are curious about what is going to happen next, and how it's all going to end up being once the show is concluded. If it has a terrible conclusion, it can really affect how the anime looks in my eyes
QansSep 16, 2014 12:57 AM
Sep 16, 2014 12:55 AM

May 2012
Qans said:
Soul eaters ending made the anime go from a 8-possible 9 to a 6. Same with FMA (not brotherhood), it was a great anime but the ending although wasnt horrible really killed alot of the anime for me. It was still great though, but one of the main reasons I preferred brotherhood. The ending makes all the difference

There was closure in brohood, but the ending still wasn't that good imo. I see where you are coming from though.
Sep 16, 2014 12:58 AM

Jun 2014
PoeticJustice said:
Qans said:
Soul eaters ending made the anime go from a 8-possible 9 to a 6. Same with FMA (not brotherhood), it was a great anime but the ending although wasnt horrible really killed alot of the anime for me. It was still great though, but one of the main reasons I preferred brotherhood. The ending makes all the difference

There was closure in brohood, but the ending still wasn't that good imo. I see where you are coming from though.

What didnt you like about the ending? I thought it was dope imo
Sep 16, 2014 1:04 AM

May 2012
Qans said:
PoeticJustice said:

What didnt you like about the ending? I thought it was dope imo

I thought it was too corny. Something ripped out of a corny romantic comedy. Too happy for my tastes.
Sep 16, 2014 1:05 AM

Nov 2012
I thought the original FMA was given the closure it needed with the movie. It wasn't an ideal ending but FMA wasn't an idealistic series, so to expect it to have a perfect ending I think would have been unfitting for it.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Sep 16, 2014 1:07 AM

Jun 2014
Aah yeah I can see why you wouldnt like it I thought it was a little too happy too but maybe im overrating the ending because the ending in regular FMA depressed me so much the first time I watched it. I woulda preferred a little darker ending but still I got a thing for Winry
Sep 16, 2014 1:09 AM

Jun 2014
MiniSiets said:
I thought the original FMA was given the closure it needed with the movie. It wasn't an ideal ending but FMA wasn't an idealistic series, so to expect it to have a perfect ending I think would have been unfitting for it.

I dunno i watched the movie as well hoping itd give a better ending but idk I didnt like it that much still tbh. But I agree with you about it not supposed to have a perfect ending
Sep 16, 2014 1:20 AM

May 2012
Qans said:
Aah yeah I can see why you wouldnt like it I thought it was a little too happy too but maybe im overrating the ending because the ending in regular FMA depressed me so much the first time I watched it. I woulda preferred a little darker ending but still I got a thing for Winry

Rose > Winry bruh.
Sep 16, 2014 1:26 AM

Jun 2014
PoeticJustice said:
Qans said:

Rose > Winry bruh.

Hell no. Rose was fine too but not on Winry level. Winrys a ride or die chick
Sep 16, 2014 2:04 AM

Jun 2013
Qans said:

You see, I prefer first FMA, simply because FMA:B was kind of cheesy. I mean, we have antagonist who becomes god, even though we have no idea where he came from, but being he absorbed rejects him and how all protagonist friends are needed to take him down. After that, it is push down the hill battle. I liked it, but I prefer original FMA (It's not only the ending, there are several things involved)

For me, ending must give some kind of closure. I don't mind it being sad or happy, it is all about closure. To answer as many questions as possible, and to round up main plot established previously in series. Now, lets take an example of type of an ending I hate the most- ending of Phantom-Requiem for the Phantom. First, I really enjoyed that series and it's dark tone, but it gradually started to go downside. Since it was a while I watched it, it is blurry memory, but I clearly remember two things. First, I didn't expect that end would be something like killing that guy who trained them, I expected them to take down that company they worked for. But still, I can kind of get over it. What destroyed it for me were literally last two minutes, when Zwei dies. It was like, he dies, ending comes out and that is all. All we see is that stupid flower. Now, I obviously wasn't satisfied, so I looked up on internet and found that one person who wrote meaning of the ending. All guesses, but pretty damn good ones. But in the end, they are still guesses. Ending should be conclusive, with real meaning. Not some left overs for us to scrap up whatever we want.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Sep 16, 2014 2:33 AM

Jun 2014

Maybe I just didnt agree with the regular FMA ending because it really felt incomplete to me. Trust me there were alot of scenes in the first series that i preferred over Brotherhood (example: The Nina arc really hit me hard in the first FMA series, compared to brotherhood). It was just the ending that really made me feel empty. The original series was great don't get me wrong. But then again its been a long time since ive watched the regular fma series. Maybe if i rewatched it now i would prefer it more. But I completely agree with you on the Phantom Requiem series.
Dimitrije1606 said:
Ending should be conclusive, with real meaning. Not some left overs for us to scrap up whatever we want.

Thats exactly how I feel to answer your thread. If it ends up being the latter where it gives us the ending where we're supposed to "decide" how we feel, or how we think it should end, that really annoys me, and feels to me like its a lazy ending where the creators just wanted to wrap up the anime. Or when it gives us the ending that doesnt answer alot of those questions you had while watching the series, thinking that it might by the time it all ends, but it ends up leaving those questions unanswered. Thats not how a story is supposed to end and is really unsatisfying. Especially for a watcher who really enjoyed the anime and anticipated how the story would end up unfolding, just to reach a conclusion like that. All in all, the ending is one of the most important things in an anime, and having a shit ending can kill the whole series
QansSep 16, 2014 2:49 AM
Sep 16, 2014 2:54 AM

Apr 2014
Messi98r8 said:
Endings will always determine whether the anime is a 10 or a 9!
^ this right here.

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

62 by LostSpectre »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

22 by Ohayotaku »»
4 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

7 by NubFix »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

54 by NubFix »»
9 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

2 by Lhundrup »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.