Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 21, 2014 1:48 PM

Aug 2013
I don't know how many of you read the summary on MAL before watching this. I usually just find out what genre an anime is before trying out and then read the summaries; but this time I forgot to read Shiki's because of how many recommended it to me. I just jumped in.

But part of the fun of watching this (for me) in the beginning was not knowing exactly what was happening to the people (the disappearances). This is only because I didn't read the summary. I could have formulated some pretty damn-accurate hypothesis if I had - which would have ruined a bunch of the scary-fun for me.

Does anyone else think this? I always thought Shiki aimed to try to make you guess a bit in the beginning. But it's basically told outright.
Nov 28, 2014 6:06 PM

Aug 2013
the summary somewhat spoils you. Or rather it removes certain doubts one might hold. It gives away that the show will touch upon the morality of shiki killing humans and humans killing shiki. If you didn't expect that, then yes some of the mystery is gone.
Mar 29, 2016 3:30 PM

Aug 2013
MasterDetective said:
the summary somewhat spoils you. Or rather it removes certain doubts one might hold. It gives away that the show will touch upon the morality of shiki killing humans and humans killing shiki. If you didn't expect that, then yes some of the mystery is gone.

I mean, rather, it spoils the Shiki _are_ humans.
Apr 27, 2016 3:02 PM

Jan 2013
Thank goodness I didnt read the summary, that would've spoiled so much.
Normally I do but with Shiki I just decided to watch it because it was a high rated vampire show ... and I needed one again after watching Kurozuka a while back.

I would suggest just not watching the summary at all for new viewers.
Jun 17, 2016 7:23 PM

Jun 2016
The post I originally saw the title 'Shiki' mentioned in said 'major bonus points if you don't read any intro, it gives it away. But trust me, it the best anime I have ever seen.' So, I went in knowing nothing. & I must say, if I had read the intro, it would have seriously affected the quality of the anime for me xD I loved the suspense of the beginning not knowing what's true and what's not, with so much doubt shifting back and fourth... Intro should be redacted!
Jun 17, 2016 7:35 PM

Dec 2015
Some of the summaries for shows and characters listed on MAL have parts that should have spoiler tags, or even parts that aren't written in the synopsis at all.

I've only seen one episode of Shiki, but even then I don't quite understand why certain things are included in the synopsis on here.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jul 31, 2017 9:14 PM

Mar 2016
YES!!! After finishing the series, I can definitely say the summary spoils a lot. Hell, I realized that only a couple episodes in. It spoiled the fact the what was happening in the town was in fact vampires (though I suppose the tags would give that away) as well as the fact that this anime is supposed to make you wonder who exactly is the monster.
Dec 7, 2017 9:45 PM

Nov 2014
Do people even read summaries?

Dec 8, 2017 7:02 PM

Aug 2016
yes, they do, which is why I don't read them anymore. Shiki was more of a surprise to me because I had no idea what it was going to be like. I didn't even know it was about vampires.
Heya, I'm Mystic, the NSFW voice actress & anime girl streamer!
https://twitter.com/MagicalMysticVA
https://discord.gg/uy6vSyH
Jan 16, 2020 9:45 PM

Jul 2013
Ya and it pisses me off, spoilers are my trigger and it's clear whoever wrote that description has no understanding of the show, probably didn't even watch it
Jan 22, 2020 12:53 PM

Jun 2019
Technically it does and most synopses do to some extent, but it really depends how extreme you are about spoilers and avoidance of them.

I think it would be difficult to watch Shiki for the first time without the knowledge that it involves vampires or some similar equivalent of vampires since you would have had to heard almost nothing about the show beforehand and "Vampire" is even listed as one of the genre tags.

To me spoilers are major plot reveals apart from the main premise of the plot itself like character deaths and other more specific turns of events. So I'm fine with reading the synopsis and reviews with a spoiler-free indicator.

I also never really understand the complaint about this show I hear often (not saying you said this, OP) that the mystery is obvious or that it takes them too long to solve the mystery. From my viewpoint, the "mystery" was never meant to actually be all that mysterious or difficult for the viewer. It seems clear that from episode one most viewers will know what is happening. The mystery is for the characters actually living in the story in the town of Sotoba. Because you know it's vampires or something very similar precisely because it's a show. But if this were occurring in real life, most people wouldn't accept it without blatant and rigorous hard evidence, so it makes sense to show the characters grappling with coming to terms with it as a mystery. They react realistically. But for the viewer there is no such "gotcha!" crazy twist or shocking big reveal. At least in my opinion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiki Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 30, 2010

958 by mairyland »»
Apr 10, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Dec 9, 2010

202 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 2, 2010

312 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:17 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 25, 2010

226 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Nuzuky - Oct 14, 2010

245 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 12:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.