Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 22, 2014 11:17 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
THIS IS A LIGHT NOVEL ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS VOLU---- NO, THERE IS ONLY ONE VOLUME!
----------------------------------------
Iris on Rainy Days was a light novel that I started reading around August 2013 and the FIRST light novel that I've ever finished reading. For a first light novel that I've completed, this was quite something.

Everything started with Iris Rain Umbrella the android living her everyday life along with her master, Professor Wendy von Umbrella. At first I believed everything was going to be peaceful and easygoing, but some unexpected twists have turned Iris' life as a maid android upside-down.

Two more important characters in the story that Iris has made acquaintance with are Lilith Sunlight and Volkov Galosh. Lilith is a friendly android with blonde hair. A pretty android like her ending up in a construction camp where all robots do labor everyday - there's a reason for that and kind of an unfair one.. And there's Volkov, the gentle giant. He speaks in a deep voice with an inconsistent speech pattern. He may be slow, but he has done something remarkably badass in the latter half of the story.

When I was reading this novel, I was really hooked. It was full of suspense, and it excelled in the drama department. Really, I've grown so attached to the characters that I couldn't help but shed a tear after a series of unfortunate events that had befallen on them. I thought there all hope was lost. I thought it was going to end in the worst possible way.

I hope everyone who has read this novel enjoyed its story as much as I did. It was very engaging and re-reading this novel again has brought me back into an emotional rollercoaster. If this would ever be adapted into an anime, make it an anime movie instead. The entire story could fit in 90-120 minutes and could produce a very effective story that's full of suspense, drama, and finally....

Thanks for reading!
Apr 6, 2014 2:34 AM

Oct 2013
DAMN WHO PUT THIS ONION HERE??!!

Great read. Loved it!
May 13, 2014 4:37 PM
Oct 2012
i got a bit reminded of vocaloid song called clean freak by gumi whilst reading this novel.
Jul 19, 2014 3:18 PM
Sep 2013
I read this novel for only 5 hours. It didn't want me to take breaks. It was soooo good. All the while, I was Listening to Aoi Tori - Fumika. The BEST~
Aug 18, 2014 8:14 PM

Apr 2014
Wonderful light novel. Shame that it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.
Aug 27, 2015 12:48 PM

Sep 2013
Read it in 3 hours, liked every chapter except 3rd one which according to me exaggerated the plight of robots to garner sympathy with much detailing as human.

Still overall its a good read with presumably bad end but .........
May 30, 2016 6:02 AM

Apr 2013
Iris on Rainy Days initially started off with a light-hearted premise, only to knock it down and rip it apart in favour of delving deep into existential concepts like 'the point'. It frames such questions like, 'What's the point?' and 'Is there a point?' in some engagingly creative ways. But it's not just about 'the point'. It's about connection, emotions, acceptance, and pushing forward. Most importantly and most fundamentally, this novel is about the types of days that you will experience throughout your life.

On some days, it may rain and pour and storm, but those days won't last forever. The sun is always there, merely obscured behind those despair-tinted rain clouds. There may be rainy days, but there will definitely be sunny days. Damp, wet and muddy but sunny days.

But without an Umbrella, how can you shield yourself from the rain? Even if you can't shield yourself from the rain, as long as you know the Sunlight is there, you can soften the blow and keep yourself from eroding away completely. However, we are bound to rust in the rain and be reduced to hollow shells of their former selves, unable to see the whole picture. But that's okay, because when the sun finally dawns on us, we will have the opportunity to reclaim what we've lost.

Iris on Rainy Days is a story about purpose, loss, and reclamation. It is simplistically surreal, incredibly gripping, and--meaningfully relatable. The most important thing to remember is that life is made up of all kinds of days, tinted in all kinds of colours. Don't get bogged down in your rainy days and don't get caught up in your sunny days, because they are only a small part of a greater whole.

The sun will always dawn and the rain will always pour until the end of your days.
Jul 28, 2017 12:44 PM

May 2015
Just finished reading this, and I can't count how many times I was on the verge of crying ;__;....

Simply a wonderful short story. A really fun, heartwarming and light-hearted start, which eventually turned into a tragedy after losing the Professor. But during those times of hardships, she met two wonderful friends sharing similarities in their situations.

And through it all, together, she found the meaning of her life. And those final words are perfect.

10/10.

Jul 31, 2017 5:02 PM
Jul 2017
I finished this novel a while ago. I'm not the type to tell people how I felt about something I read but this one, I can't help it. It's good and it deserves more readers.
Mar 23, 2019 9:08 PM

Feb 2018
Isn't this very sad? I mean they have lived peacefully even though they are human beings and robots but seeing that incident I can't think of this series anymore.
Dec 30, 2020 5:40 PM
May 2020
As a stone face reader, i cried. Only one volume but it has one of the greatest character development. I really want an anime movie adaptation from this. Throughout the reading, i can imagine how it looks on anime media, and i think it'll looks great
Jun 26, 2022 3:15 PM
Jan 2019
Loved the LN.
My one issue was why wasn't Lilith stripped for parts if she was one of the expensive androids (or rather gynoid).

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation

Ayako_Rose - May 4, 2022

2 by dragon015 »»
Jun 26, 2022 3:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.