Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 1, 2009 2:40 PM

Jun 2009
I want to see the 1927 version which inspired Tezuka's manga? I doubt that I will see it anytime soon in its complete form. But for those that have seen the edited version, how is it?
"In the Beginning, the creative energy radiates from within."
-
No, no. That's Lame. Sounds like something out of a Jodorowsky comic.

The Tokusyu Manga Club - Features alternative comics/avant-garde comics/outsider comics/psychdelic comics/surrealistic comics/underground comics + La Nouvelle Manga (part of Alternative).

If I'm here, its because I have nothing better to do.
Oct 3, 2009 1:18 PM

Jan 2009
I enjoyed Fritz Lang's seminal film and it is rightly regarded as a classic but this Anime film has little in common with it to be honest.

Tezuka's work is far more of a sci-fi tale whereas Lang's film was a political and social allegory set in a futuristic world. The robot part of the original film is only a small part of the film although for the time it was made (1927) the visuals are very impressive indeed.

In my opinion though both films are great with the Anime being sorely overlooked by fans. Aside from some small very comparisons here and there, anyone viewing Lang's film expecting to see a similar story to Tezuka's will be disappointed - similar to my surprise at not seeing an Anime retelling of Lang's film (which I was lead to believe would be the case) although I was not disappointed with the Anime and it is one of my favourites. ;)
May 11, 2011 7:01 AM

Jul 2009
To anyone who is interested in watching the original 1927 movie, it has been
uploaded in youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=rD_-flw9IcQ

Aug 2, 2012 10:07 PM

Jun 2010
The original film is fantastic. A Sci fi classic. one of my all time favorite movies actually
Oct 5, 2012 9:53 AM
Jul 2018
I'm a huge fan of Lang's work (check out 'M' as well - brilliant), as well as German Expressionism in general, so I'll admit I was a bit disappointed with the anime version...

Nevertheless--as mentioned earlier--the film does differ quite a bit from the original and some of the new takes on the older elements are quite awesome and refreshing - I particularly liked the old Maria character's revamp into the new Tima character.

I just wish they kept the finely synced workforce in this adaptation... damnit that was so awesome! :D
Mar 16, 2014 12:24 AM
Jun 2013
I watched the original film a while back so I could see this. I really loved the film, but I think I saw a shorter version that one of the extended ones. It's an important film to see considering how much of a landmark. Then yesterday I saw the anime movie for 5 dollars at a bookstore and bought it, and I have yet to watch it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Metropolis Episode 1 Discussion

Naruleach - Aug 1, 2009

46 by ka7eMARU »»
Apr 6, 10:16 PM

» I use to think the climax of this film was a dream I had

ChristmasCookies - Aug 16, 2016

2 by SliverDio »»
Dec 4, 2022 10:09 AM

» How much Steampunk, how much Cyberpunk?

ukonkivi - Dec 13, 2009

5 by asei »»
Jun 16, 2022 2:33 AM

» its a good one...too.

kisami - Dec 19, 2008

5 by BohemianRhapsody »»
Oct 26, 2015 11:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.