Forum Settings
Forums

What are some anime that have better dubs than subs?

New
Feb 19, 2014 5:42 AM
Feb 2014
So I personally prefer subs over dubs because the VA of them just gets the character right that I can feel the emotion, even though I'm reading texts. So I was wondering what are the anime that have better dubs than subs?
5 Centimeters Per Second - Or what I'd like to call as 5 Anime Wallpapers Per Second.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 19, 2014 5:46 AM
Nov 2008
Everyone responding to this thread will mention any anime that takes place in a Western-style setting, even though all anime characters pretty much look white and all the text on signs and on documents will be in Japanese regardless of where it supposedly takes place.

I personally prefer the English dubs for Lucky Star, Dragon Ball, Kodocha, Beck, and Ghost in the Shell. Overall though, I'm not too fussed unless the voices are really over-the-top bad (see: Higurashi's dub).
no-thanksFeb 19, 2014 5:50 AM
Feb 19, 2014 5:58 AM

Feb 2013
The following anime list is better dubbed :
1. Nothing found
2.Nothing Found

9000. Nothing found

Keep searching, that doesn't exist.
Feb 19, 2014 6:04 AM

Jan 2013
Ulquiorra1923 said:
1. Nothing found
2.Nothing Found

9000. Nothing found

Shut your ass up.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Feb 19, 2014 6:04 AM

Feb 2013
MajinSaga said:
Ulquiorra1923 said:
1. Nothing found
2.Nothing Found

9000. Nothing found

Shut your ass up.

I'm just typing.
Feb 19, 2014 6:06 AM

Jul 2011
Cromartie is the first one that comes to my mind
Feb 19, 2014 6:06 AM

Jan 2013
Cowboy Bebop

Samurai Champloo

Steamboy

Monster

FLCL

Panty and Stocking

All Studio Ghibli films

Ghost In The Shell (films and TV series)

Berserk

Outlaw Star

Trigun

Fullmetal Alchemist (both tv series and films)

Space Dandy

Evangelion rebuild films

Fullmetal Panic

Metropolis

Baccano

Ergo Proxy

Welcome to the NHK

Claymore

Yuyu Hakusho

DBZ

MajinSagaFeb 19, 2014 6:47 AM
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Feb 19, 2014 6:08 AM

Oct 2012
seto no hanayome
cowboy bebop
black lagoon
cromartie high school (except mechazawa episodes I switch to subs when he appears)
persona 4 animation
welcome to nhk
Feb 19, 2014 6:16 AM

Nov 2012
None
Feb 19, 2014 6:55 AM

Jul 2013
Well i can't say the following shows are better in English because i don't watch shows both ways but these are shows that i made exception watching dubbed.

Paranoia Agent - I wasn't originally going to watch the dubbed version but i couldn't find the remote when i wanted to watch this one i was forced to watch the dubbed version because it was the default choices. When i finally found the remote i didn't switch the audio because after watching few episodes in English the Japanese audio felt just wrong. So yeah, i enjoyed the dub work on it and there is some big names VA on the English cast.

Angel Beats - I really liked the main girls English VA so i didn't really even check out the Japanese voices. The English voice actors did a great job if you ask me.

Code Geass - This one i watched half and half. Some characters sound better on the English track and some on the Japanese one. None of them were the superior one and i kept jumping between them.

I also wouldn't see myself watching Dragon Ball Z with the Japanese audio. The cheesy English voice cast fit it perfectly.
Feb 19, 2014 7:00 AM

Jan 2014
+1 for Beck
Feb 19, 2014 7:15 AM

Jul 2013
Black lagoon where they are not in japan and their is only 1 Japanese person in the enitre show
Feb 19, 2014 7:20 AM

Jul 2013
StefanHere said:
Black lagoon where they are not in japan and their is only 1 Japanese person in the enitre show

The second seasons has an Yakuza arc taking placing in Japan though.

And i don't know how it makes any more sense them speaking English considering that the show takes place in Asia. Them speaking Thai would be the real thing.
Feb 19, 2014 7:23 AM

Jan 2014
None. If you watched a sub first the dub can only get worse.
Feb 19, 2014 7:36 AM

Sep 2011
gungrave
trigun
cowboy bebop
baccano
spice and wolf
darker than black
cromartie
eureka 7
tales of vesperia/abyss
haruhi series
monster
welcome to he nhk
space dandy
samurai champloo
both FMA's
full metal panic
most ghibili movies
seto no hanayome
persona 4
the disgaea games
xenoblade

these 2 are flawed but have some charm to them
irresponsible captain tylor
martian successor nadesico
JizzyHitlerFeb 19, 2014 7:42 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 19, 2014 7:40 AM

Jul 2012
Full Metal Alchemist

Code Geass

Wolf's Rain

Welcome to the NHK

Highschool of the Dead (not from a technical standpoint - but it features all the pop culture zombie references which really adds to the show)

Dragon Ball Z

Darker Than Black

:)

Aug 2013
There are plenty that are better and more especially if we throw in the ones that are just as good.

Yu Yu Hakusho
Berserk
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Black Lagoon+Roberta's Blood Trail
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Ghost in the Shell
Dragonball
Trigun
Neon Genesis Evangelion
most of Hayao Miyazaki's works
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

just a few off the top of my head

these few are at least as good as their subtitled counterpart and some of them in my mind are better
Champloo_RemixFeb 19, 2014 7:46 AM

Apr 2013
The classic example is Ghost Stories (Gakkou no Kaidan). The original Japanese version is just boring and was not well received. The English dub cast literally got full reign to do whatever they wanted and actually infused a ton of humour and ridiculousness into the dialogue that was non-existant in the Japanese version.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1281/Gakkou_no_Kaidan
Feb 19, 2014 7:41 AM

Feb 2013
This thread will get locked but:

Black Lagoon
Fullmetal Alchemist
Highschool of the Dead
Spice and Wolf
Feb 19, 2014 7:44 AM

Sep 2011
Chromartie High

Ghost Stories

Ghost Stories

Ghost Stories

Ghost Stories

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Feb 19, 2014 7:45 AM

Aug 2013
deanzel said:
The classic example is Ghost Stories (Gakkou no Kaidan). The original Japanese version is just boring and was not well received. The English dub cast literally got full reign to do whatever they wanted and actually infused a ton of humour and ridiculousness into the dialogue that was non-existant in the Japanese version.

I love Ghost Stories and loved the dub but I wouldn't pick that as the classic example of when a dub is better than it's subtitled counterpart. That'd imply that a dub would have to be a joke dub in order for it to be better than a serious-toned subtitled counterpart which is far from true.

Again, love me some Ghost Stories though. Probably the most hilarious anime I've ever watched by a mile
Feb 19, 2014 7:47 AM
Mar 2011
none
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 19, 2014 7:50 AM

Apr 2013
Champloo_Remix said:
deanzel said:

I love Ghost Stories and loved the dub but I wouldn't pick that as the classic example of when a dub is better than it's subtitled counterpart. That'd imply that a dub would have to be a joke dub in order for it to be better than a serious-toned subtitled counterpart which is far from true.

Again, love me some Ghost Stories though. Probably the most hilarious anime I've ever watched by a mile

Well, I guess it isn't a classic example. But I think that it is the only example where the dub is far and away better than the original Japanese version. However, this is due to them essentially changing what the essence of the show was rather than giving a better "performance" like in other examples. I honestly can't think of any other show where this was done successfully (or done at all). But yeah, so I guess that you're right on that part.
Feb 19, 2014 7:50 AM

Sep 2011
deanzel said:

best dub ever

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 19, 2014 8:04 AM

Feb 2014
-The Dragon Ball series(especially Kai.. Wipes its ass with the sub. Frieza's sub voice though was too good)

-Highschool of the Dead

- Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

- Cowboy Bebop

- Baccano

- Monster

- Ghost Stories x 1000

- Space Dandy

- Trigun

- FMA

- Yu Yu Hakusho

- Black Lagoon

- Jormungand

- Hellsing/Ultimate
Feb 19, 2014 11:11 AM

Apr 2010
Thread locked

Thread locked for listing which is against the board rules.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 2 hours ago

11 by Toooooooooohru »»
3 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

16 by billybub »»
18 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

55 by Fischer77 »»
32 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

239 by TitanOfPlasma »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

60 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.